The Greek Basketball Strike

Moderator: THE J0KER

jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

The Greek Basketball Strike 

Post#1 » by jman3134 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:50 pm

What are your thoughts on this? Some crazy accusations are being thrown out.....

http://www.talkbasket.net/news/papadopo ... -3765.html
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/10/24/gree ... r-turmoil/

Got these from DX. I also want to pose their question: does anyone have any idea why people want to arrest Papadopoulos?
Greek
Starter
And1: 447

Re: The Greek Basketball Strike 

Post#2 » by Greek » Sat Nov 6, 2010 6:36 pm

Greek basketball is dead long time ago...Pana, Olympiacos and thats it...When the economy suffer...everything is suffering...
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#3 » by jman3134 » Sat Nov 6, 2010 7:09 pm

Well those teams are still competitive internationally, so you cannot consider Greek basketball a total fail right now. And, Greece does seem to attract some solid American players.

I am wondering how this strike and everything will impact international players coming over...?
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#4 » by AdamTheGreek » Sun Nov 7, 2010 5:10 pm

If you're a fan of Olympiacos (which I am) or Panathinaikos then you don't care because our ownerships are committed to winning all the titles.

Right now for Americans they've lost the tax incentives that they previously would've received when they came to play in Greece. Still though, OLY and PAO shell out enough money where that's not a problem.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
Greek
Starter
And1: 447

Post#5 » by Greek » Mon Nov 8, 2010 7:24 am

jman3134 wrote:Well those teams are still competitive internationally, so you cannot consider Greek basketball a total fail right now. And, Greece does seem to attract some solid American players.

I am wondering how this strike and everything will impact international players coming over...?

Those 2 teams attract the majority of the fans, there owners are 2 families of the richest in Greece, but basketball is not only those teams...before 5-6 years i loved to watch some games of the lower tier teams since you could see something. Now...they bring players as a starters who that time wouldnt be even on the bench...The worse part is that they still dont trust the young talent, and considering that every summer our youth have great success then this is an unacceptable. From that point of view yes, the Greek basketball is dead...

I am old enough to live the explosion after 87 (the 1st NT title with Gkalis Yiannakis, Fasoulas etc). Unfortunately now we are on the other side of the hill, going down...
Greco21
Junior
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Greco21 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:14 am

Hi guys. Olympiacos and Panathinaikos are making a huge damage to Greek Basketball :D They get all the talent and they convert them to bench warmers. I really cant understand why for example Bogris is not getting playing time when his team beats up opponents with 30+ or why isnt he a part of another team.

Anyway. I believe there is hope and just now the sport is not the favorite one. A good appearance in the 2012 Olympics by the National Team may shift interest of the fans.
Basketball G(r)eek

Return to International Basketball