Lithuania could win gold in 2012

Moderator: THE J0KER

noahrose131
Junior
And1: 0

Lithuania could win gold in 2012 

Post#1 » by noahrose131 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:48 am

Their two best players were out this tournament in Jonas Maciulius and Linas Kleiza. If Valanaciunas progresses and continues to gain strength he could be an enforcer and if they're healthy, their roster could be loaded.

Kalnietis/Jasikevicius
Kaukenas/Pocius
Maciulis/Jasaitis
Kleiza/Jankunas/Motiejunas
Javtokas/Valanciunas

Kalnietis is one of the most underrated pgs in Europe and Kleiza plays his best in the Euro game. I think they could be a top 2 team in London.
styLesdavis
Rookie
And1: 554

Re: Lithuania could win gold in 2012 

Post#2 » by styLesdavis » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:42 pm

noahrose131 wrote:Their two best players were out this tournament in Jonas Maciulius and Linas Kleiza. If Valanaciunas progresses and continues to gain strength he could be an enforcer and if they're healthy, their roster could be loaded.

Kalnietis/Jasikevicius
Kaukenas/Pocius
Maciulis/Jasaitis
Kleiza/Jankunas/Motiejunas
Javtokas/Valanciunas

Valanciunas an enforcer? Hell no. He IS the type of player that needs to be protected from his teammates. I really think that Javtokas is more of that "Rick-Mahorn-type" guy.

Kalnietis is one of the most underrated pgs in Europe and Kleiza plays his best in the Euro game. I think they could be a top 2 team in London.

I don`t think so. Teams like Spain and the USA are way more deeper than Lithuania. 2nd you can`t compare this lithuanian squad with perhaps the 2003 team. Players like Stombergas, Macjiauskas or Saras (in his prime) are much better than Kaukenas or Maciulis.

Lithuania could play a good role in the 2012 tournament, if they qualify, but nothing more than maybe the quarter- or semifinals.
Chalk1
Rookie
And1: 398

Post#3 » by Chalk1 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:15 am

That would be a very good team.......but what are the chances they all play?
naumoski
Freshman

Post#4 » by naumoski » Sat Dec 3, 2011 4:44 pm

Spain defeated Lithuania in 2008 with Jasikeviceus, Siskauskas, Kleiza...in his prime.

Maciulis is a good player but he is not a decissive player like Kleiza.

In 2012 Jasikeviceus will be a year older, even.

So Lithuania will be a tough rival, but no gold-silver contender in theory.

Besides the adittion of Ibaka has been a clear plus for Spain, helping Gasol brothers.
Darknemo2000
Veteran
And1: 1,685

Post#5 » by Darknemo2000 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:26 pm

Unlikely. The highest that lithuania can hope is some-finals (they always end up in semi-finals).

But for those sceptics who keep saying about Siskauskas lack and Jasikevicius not prime, let me remind you how all experts said that after Sabonis, Marciulionis, Kurtinaitis retired that it will be the end of the NT.

And what do you know a next generation of back then young and unknown players like Jasikevicius, Songaila, Siskauskas showed up and took the bronze in the olympics.

Lithiuania has a weird depth for such a small country, you just never know if some from their young guys suddenly start shine out of nowhere.

Still I dont see them in bronze and their best case scenario are semi-finals but more likely an exit one round before.
BalticGiants
Freshman

Post#6 » by BalticGiants » Sat May 5, 2012 4:09 pm

Chalk1 wrote:That would be a very good team.......but what are the chances they all play?

Pretty good chances. Kleiza and Mačiulis recovered. Kaukėnas also recovered. Šaras will decide if he's in after the season with PAO, but there are good chances he's in as he likes Olympics very much. Motiejūnas should make a team this year and might even bring good things for Lithuania in offensive end.

Overall this would be a great team that would have all tools for fighting for 3d place, IMO. USA and Spain are obviously deeper and better currently. However, that kind of Lithuania would be very interesting.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#7 » by Chuck Diesel » Mon May 7, 2012 12:49 am

If Siskauskas was still in the mix they'd maybe have a shot at bronze. Lietuva still got to win some tough games in order to qualify. A couple of those South American and African teams are better than most people realize.
Raptor_Claw
Banned User

Post#8 » by Raptor_Claw » Wed May 9, 2012 10:03 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:If Siskauskas was still in the mix they'd maybe have a shot at bronze. Lietuva still got to win some tough games in order to qualify. A couple of those South American and African teams are better than most people realize.

Siska is way past his prime. I don't think they miss him much. There are lots of good teams at the qualifying tournament, but the 4 European teams are the best teams there.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#9 » by Chuck Diesel » Sun May 13, 2012 12:03 am

He's past his prime but still would be tremendously valuable to a Lithuanian team thats been devoid of ball handlers and facilitators for a long time, particularly when Jasikavicious isn't on the floor or on the team.
Raptor_Claw
Banned User

Post#10 » by Raptor_Claw » Sun May 13, 2012 12:27 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:He's past his prime but still would be tremendously valuable to a Lithuanian team thats been devoid of ball handlers and facilitators for a long time, particularly when Jasikavicious isn't on the floor or on the team.

Kaukenas and Kalnietis are both good ball handlers and facilitators. So as long as they play, they will be fine in that department.
Virtuoso
Senior

Post#11 » by Virtuoso » Mon May 14, 2012 3:04 am

They need to get a top 3 finish in the qualifying tournament first just to get in the Olympics and looking at the qualifying teams they are not even a lock to do that. Forget about USA, Spain and Argentina and worry about Nigeria, Venezuela first and then Greece and Puerto Rico.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_FIBA_ ... Tournament
BalticGiants
Freshman

Post#12 » by BalticGiants » Mon May 14, 2012 4:55 am

Virtuoso wrote:They need to get a top 3 finish in the qualifying tournament first just to get in the Olympics and looking at the qualifying teams they are not even a lock to do that. Forget about USA, Spain and Argentina and worry about Nigeria, Venezuela first and then Greece and Puerto Rico.

Not syaing that it's gonna be easy, but sure they not a f.. lock :wink: I mean 5th time in a row Olympics semifinalists would go against Nigeria and Venezuela.
Sklepukas
Ballboy
And1: 39

Post#13 » by Sklepukas » Mon May 21, 2012 1:31 pm

Just remember Macedonia in Eurobasket..
And next. how do you think, referies help venezuela or not?:)
and just need no lose in firs play-off game
Chalk1
Rookie

Post#14 » by Chalk1 » Tue May 22, 2012 3:45 am

The Dominican Republic will be a tough out for any team in the Qualifying tourney.

Wouldn't be shocked at all if they made it to the Olympics.

The European teams will have to be on top of their games in the QT.
Virtuoso
Senior

Post#15 » by Virtuoso » Wed Jul 4, 2012 11:39 pm

BalticGiants wrote:
Virtuoso wrote:They need to get a top 3 finish in the qualifying tournament first just to get in the Olympics and looking at the qualifying teams they are not even a lock to do that. Forget about USA, Spain and Argentina and worry about Nigeria, Venezuela first and then Greece and Puerto Rico.

Not syaing that it's gonna be easy, but sure they not a f.. lock :wink: I mean 5th time in a row Olympics semifinalists would go against Nigeria and Venezuela.

Today you lost against Nigeria (aka the USA 85th team) with a convincing defeat. Now you have to win against Greece or Puerto who are both the favourite over you.

Considering half the Lithuanian NT are players from the terrible Zalgiris club team these results are not surprising like I said you 2 months ago. No team that starts Mantas "Wooden Legs" Kelneitas can hope to achieve anything significant.

I know you are a proud baskets nation but you must consider neutralizing some random American PG who plays in the European, Asian or South American leagues. After Saras leaves you will have one of the worst PGs rotations in Europe and that includes the nations from the B and C European qualifying pools (such as Luxembourg, Albania, and Andorra).
Beorn
Sixth Man
And1: 807

Post#16 » by Beorn » Wed Jul 4, 2012 11:51 pm

Lithuanians abandoned the match, I think they wanted tolose in order Venezuela to get eliminated. Still, they, together with Russia and Greece are the favorites of the tournament.
Virtuoso
Senior

Post#17 » by Virtuoso » Thu Jul 5, 2012 12:48 am

Beorn wrote:Lithuanians abandoned the match, I think they wanted tolose in order Venezuela to get eliminated. Still, they, together with Russia and Greece are the favorites of the tournament.

Did you watch the match? Anyone who saw it would not say this.
Beorn
Sixth Man
And1: 807

Post#18 » by Beorn » Thu Jul 5, 2012 10:21 am

Ιn the last minutes they were excessively passive. That's what I say
Chalk1
Rookie

Post#19 » by Chalk1 » Fri Jul 6, 2012 1:59 am

Have to wonder if Lithuania did in fact lose the game on purpose.
Virtuoso
Senior

Post#20 » by Virtuoso » Fri Jul 6, 2012 8:28 pm

Chalk1 wrote:Have to wonder if Lithuania did in fact lose the game on purpose.

Do you mean like how Greece just lost to Nigeria on purpose too and are now out of the Olympics? :lol:

I love these FIBA 1 game elimination tournaments which don't show much. If anything this just proves how strong American basketball is. Something like 9 or 10 of the Nigerian players grew up and played basketball in the United States. If these FIBA tournaments had a multi game playoff system instead of 1 game eliminations the USA wouldn't lose a tournament in the next 150 years and i'm not exaggerating or being sarcastic.

Return to International Basketball