Re: What happened to Argentina? 

Post#21 » by Paul Overt » Wed Jul 1, 2020 9:23 am

Read on Twitter
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,157

Post#22 » by Mr Puddles » Wed Jul 1, 2020 9:36 am

agustin1981-ARG wrote:I´m from Argentina. My english is not excellent but I could explain.

Basketball here in Argentina is the second or third sport...not now, always. The problem maybe is the investment or without a really true scheme for the future. These is something that happend in all the country....we are like Greece in that terms. We have much very good players playing in Spain....now two young players are going to play with Dallas and San Antonio....but thats all. It will be very difficult and long years to have another Ginobili.

My brother in law is from Argentina and he tells me the same thing. There's soccer, then there's a huge gap of nothingness, and then there are the other sports. Basically all money and efforts are focussed on soccer, and whatever scraps are left may be allocated towards things like basketball.

This is how it is in most European countries as well. As much as the rest of the world has 'caught up' and produced talent in recent years - basketball is still very much an afterthought.

Really the only country that pumps as much money, effort etc. into basketball as the US is China - they're basically the New York Knicks of FIBA, lots of money - no results (no offence Knick fans).
Spoiler:
Paul Overt
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#23 » by Paul Overt » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:48 pm

Mr Puddles wrote:
agustin1981-ARG wrote:I´m from Argentina. My english is not excellent but I could explain.

Basketball here in Argentina is the second or third sport...not now, always. The problem maybe is the investment or without a really true scheme for the future. These is something that happend in all the country....we are like Greece in that terms. We have much very good players playing in Spain....now two young players are going to play with Dallas and San Antonio....but thats all. It will be very difficult and long years to have another Ginobili.

My brother in law is from Argentina and he tells me the same thing. There's soccer, then there's a huge gap of nothingness, and then there are the other sports. Basically all money and efforts are focussed on soccer, and whatever scraps are left may be allocated towards things like basketball.

This is how it is in most European countries as well. As much as the rest of the world has 'caught up' and produced talent in recent years - basketball is still very much an afterthought.

Really the only country that pumps as much money, effort etc. into basketball as the US is China - they're basically the New York Knicks of FIBA, lots of money - no results (no offence Knick fans).

It is not all about money. With "that little investment" we just got silver at the Fiba world cup 2019. https://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/team/Argentina#tab=games_and_results,average_statistics
We have very good talent here.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,664

Post#24 » by nedleeds » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:20 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:For the last 10-15 years we've been waiting for the next generation of talent to start coming through the ranks and keep Argentina at dominant force level

and we've been waiting
and waiting
nada.

Was the great batch of Manu, Scola, Nocioni, Oberto, Delfino etc a fluke?

Damn, you include Oberto but leave out Herrman? ;) He might have been the best raw athlete out of all of them.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,692

Post#25 » by Pachinko_ » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:01 pm

I forgot about this discussion... I was so happy for Argentina last summer, great to see them bounce back :clap: :clap: :clap:
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,664

Post#26 » by nedleeds » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:23 pm

I think some of the Golden Generation guys just enjoyed playing overseas. If they had all come after only 1-2 years in Euroleague they'd have had pretty good careers. Manu is a 1st ballot HoF'er but I think Nocioni and Herrmann might have been solid starters. Especially now where corner shooting is so valuable. Nocioni was a decent NBA athlete in his 20's and strong (like 220~ lbs) and was shooting 38-40% from 3. He didn't come over until he was 25, if he comes over at 22 or so I think he gets better.

Same with Herrmann, he is probably the best athlete in the group but didn't come to the NBA until he was 27. Promptly makes all-rookie and shoots **** 46% from 3 while dunking and playing good defense. Gets traded to Detroit and no longer wants to live in America, goes back to Unicaja.

A guy like Herrmann in today's NBA at age 22 or so would be very valuable, elite long athletic wing that can shoot 45% from 3.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,475

Post#27 » by Mirotic12 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:04 pm

Argentina has some really good players. But even now, I see them as about 15 players deep or so, and it took about 15 years to get to that. They really should be developing way more good players than they are. They have the population, the sports culture, the club infrastructure, the long history of the sport, and the recent history of high success in the sport that should develop a lot more players.

If you have like 15 really good players, your national team can do great if they all are committed to the national team. Which is very strong with Argentina. Teams like Argentina, Serbia, Lithuania have had lots of success needing only that amount of serious players.

But with that being said, you can really see how dominant football (soccer) is, because in their circumstance, they should have developed 10 times that amount of players. They still rely on their players to play every summer, and to play until they are 35-40.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,600

Post#28 » by UcanUwill » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:55 pm

I really hope Patricio Garino is a good one since my team Zalgiris picked him up. I know him a little bit of course, but never followed him closely.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,475

Post#29 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:57 pm

UcanUwill wrote:I really hope Patricio Garino is a good one since my team Zalgiris picked him up. I know him a little bit of course, but never followed him closely.

He's been very injury prone and very inconsistent through his career.
Paul Overt
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#30 » by Paul Overt » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:57 pm

UcanUwill wrote:I really hope Patricio Garino is a good one since my team Zalgiris picked him up. I know him a little bit of course, but never followed him closely.

One of the key of Argentine success in the last world cup was Garino's defense. He is a very good three point shooter and excellent defender.

Return to International Basketball