Australia vs Philippines Brawl 02/07/2018

Moderator: Curtis Lemansky

User avatar
vanhowell
Senior
Posts: 627
And1: 414
Joined: May 14, 2011
   

Australia vs Philippines Brawl 02/07/2018 

Post#1 » by vanhowell » Mon Jul 2, 2018 5:21 pm

To succeed, attitude is equally as important as ability.
User avatar
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect
Posts: 968
And1: 631
Joined: Apr 02, 2015

Re: Australia vs Philippines Brawl 02/07/2018 

Post#2 » by Von Bismarck » Mon Jul 2, 2018 5:28 pm

Disgraceful behavior from Filipinos. Both players and fans.

Also, soft Australian bench. Their teammate is getting beaten on the floor and they're watching, being held by two people.
User avatar
vanhowell
Senior
Posts: 627
And1: 414
Joined: May 14, 2011
   

Re: Australia vs Philippines Brawl 02/07/2018 

Post#3 » by vanhowell » Mon Jul 2, 2018 9:19 pm

Statement from Gilas Pilipinas Coach Chot Reyes

https://www.facebook.com/News5Everywhere/videos/1263773380446080/
To succeed, attitude is equally as important as ability.
User avatar
stellation
RealGM
Posts: 12,612
And1: 5,105
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: *inaudible*

Re: Australia vs Philippines Brawl 02/07/2018 

Post#4 » by stellation » Mon Jul 2, 2018 9:40 pm

Von Bismarck wrote:Disgraceful behavior from Filipinos. Both players and fans.

Also, soft Australian bench. Their teammate is getting beaten on the floor and they're watching, being held by two people.

The Australian bench acted like professionals and absolutely did what they were supposed to do and stayed off the court, if they joined in it would have been even bigger madness.
User avatar
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect
Posts: 968
And1: 631
Joined: Apr 02, 2015

Re: Australia vs Philippines Brawl 02/07/2018 

Post#5 » by Von Bismarck » Mon Jul 2, 2018 10:05 pm

This is an unexpected situation with possible fatal consequences where you need to stand up for your teammates, friends, whatever.
User avatar
Vindicater
General Manager
Posts: 7,948
And1: 418
Joined: Apr 11, 2004

Re: Australia vs Philippines Brawl 02/07/2018 

Post#6 » by Vindicater » Mon Jul 2, 2018 10:09 pm

Von Bismarck wrote:Disgraceful behavior from Filipinos. Both players and fans.

Also, soft Australian bench. Their teammate is getting beaten on the floor and they're watching, being held by two people.


What are they supposed to do.

They were 30 points up and if they rushed the floor would have caused more players to be ejected and possibly lost the game?
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
User avatar
LewisnotMiller
Senior
Posts: 739
And1: 282
Joined: Jun 21, 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Australia vs Philippines Brawl 02/07/2018 

Post#7 » by LewisnotMiller » Tue Jul 3, 2018 2:24 am

Von Bismarck wrote:This is an unexpected situation with possible fatal consequences where you need to stand up for your teammates, friends, whatever.


Luckily that didn't happen. You think the Aussies clearing their bench in a stadium of 55000 people not sufficiently restrained by security would have made injury LESS likely?

Kickert's shot was cheap (even if I understand the intent, it was clumsy and aimed too high at best) but the situation from there was bizarre and extreme. Some of the comments at the time and afterwards by Phillipines players/coaching have been unprofessional.

Damn...they posed for selfies on court after the incident.

Ridiculous.
Hobo4President
Starter
Posts: 2,247
And1: 1,580
Joined: Jan 01, 2010
 

Re: Australia vs Philippines Brawl 02/07/2018 

Post#8 » by Hobo4President » Tue Jul 3, 2018 2:53 am

FIBA need to ban the Filipino national team for a few years. What a disgrace. 15 players and some fans beating the **** out of 2 dudes is not a fight, it's full blown assault.
Sphynx
Freshman
Posts: 76
And1: 58
Joined: Jul 14, 2014

Re: Australia vs Philippines Brawl 02/07/2018 

Post#9 » by Sphynx » Tue Jul 3, 2018 3:51 am

Gouldings manager has said they will take legal action if FIBA don't enact sufficient sanctions on Phillipines.

Have a look at this footage.

Thank god for Luc Longley, the assistant coach of the filo national team (I know!) (white shirt) hitting Goulding on the ground with a chair should be banned from the sport for life.

The official who king hits Sobey at 00:37 should be in jail (The picture circulating the internet), the video shows how hard he hits him, he could of legitimately killed him, the security guard who was holding him was pinning his arms, he couldn't protect himself.

The current 1 punch rules in Australia would mean a 6 month jail sentence as a minimum for something like that.


Props to Delly who kept all the Aus players where they remained on the bench, I have no doubt if the Aus bench got involved and actually retaliated, the fans would of spilled into the arena, there were already a few present in a couple of video's throwing chairs and bins.


Read on Twitter
Sphynx
Freshman
Posts: 76
And1: 58
Joined: Jul 14, 2014

Re: Australia vs Philippines Brawl 02/07/2018 

Post#10 » by Sphynx » Tue Jul 3, 2018 4:15 am

The coach is blaming Kickertt about some bull incident where he hit 4 players in the warmup but no other players or the million camera's saw it?

He should be life banned for instigating it:

Read on Twitter
timetoshinebaby
Junior
Posts: 260
And1: 229
Joined: Jan 30, 2018
       

Re: Australia vs Philippines Brawl 02/07/2018 

Post#11 » by timetoshinebaby » Tue Jul 3, 2018 4:44 am

Nothing but dogs. Phillipinos deserve to get booted.
Sphynx
Freshman
Posts: 76
And1: 58
Joined: Jul 14, 2014

Re: Australia vs Philippines Brawl 02/07/2018 

Post#12 » by Sphynx » Tue Jul 3, 2018 5:15 am

tanksonbaby wrote:Nothing but dogs. Phillipinos deserve to get booted.



Strip them of the 2023 World Cup, have to.

Will teach their fans on social media something as well.
AussieCeltic
Pro Prospect
Posts: 809
And1: 1,242
Joined: Jan 02, 2014
 

Re: Australia vs Philippines Brawl 02/07/2018 

Post#13 » by AussieCeltic » Tue Jul 3, 2018 5:28 am

Such a bizarre incident.

First thing, I find it utterly disgraceful that not one person or official from Philippines Basketball has shown any remorse post incident. They're all trying to blame Australia for the following:
- Removing decals from the court pre-game (Australian officials did this as they were slippery and against FIBA regulations)
- Kickert apparently picking on guys in warmups (heaps of cameras around and nothing picked up on this)

While we look at the facts.
- The coach ordered his players to "put them on their backsides"
- Cheap shot on Goulding that started everything
- Coaches, players from the bench and officials ganging up on 2 australian players who didn't throw one punch
- A chair being thrown on a player
- Multiple king hits thrown on Australian players not looking

Kickert definitely overreacted, but he was sticking up for his teammate. In a normal game, that's a small scuffle and Kickert plus the Philippine who hit Goulding would have both been ejected. Instead, we have one of the worst brawls in recent history. Disgraceful and if I was from the Philippines, I'd be ashamed
Hobo4President
Starter
Posts: 2,247
And1: 1,580
Joined: Jan 01, 2010
 

Re: Australia vs Philippines Brawl 02/07/2018 

Post#14 » by Hobo4President » Tue Jul 3, 2018 7:46 am

Sphynx wrote:Gouldings manager has said they will take legal action if FIBA don't enact sufficient sanctions on Phillipines.

Have a look at this footage.

Thank god for Luc Longley, the assistant coach of the filo national team (I know!) (white shirt) hitting Goulding on the ground with a chair should be banned from the sport for life.

The official who king hits Sobey at 00:37 should be in jail (The picture circulating the internet), the video shows how hard he hits him, he could of legitimately killed him, the security guard who was holding him was pinning his arms, he couldn't protect himself.

The current 1 punch rules in Australia would mean a 6 month jail sentence as a minimum for something like that.


Props to Delly who kept all the Aus players where they remained on the bench, I have no doubt if the Aus bench got involved and actually retaliated, the fans would of spilled into the arena, there were already a few present in a couple of video's throwing chairs and bins.


Read on Twitter


He absolutely should take legal action against the guys who assaulted him. He and Sobey didn't even do ****. Some of those guys should be banned for life and charged.


AussieCeltic wrote:Such a bizarre incident.

First thing, I find it utterly disgraceful that not one person or official from Philippines Basketball has shown any remorse post incident. They're all trying to blame Australia for the following:
- Removing decals from the court pre-game (Australian officials did this as they were slippery and against FIBA regulations)
- Kickert apparently picking on guys in warmups (heaps of cameras around and nothing picked up on this)

While we look at the facts.
- The coach ordered his players to "put them on their backsides"
- Cheap shot on Goulding that started everything
- Coaches, players from the bench and officials ganging up on 2 australian players who didn't throw one punch
- A chair being thrown on a player
- Multiple king hits thrown on Australian players not looking

Kickert definitely overreacted, but he was sticking up for his teammate. In a normal game, that's a small scuffle and Kickert plus the Philippine who hit Goulding would have both been ejected. Instead, we have one of the worst brawls in recent history. Disgraceful and if I was from the Philippines, I'd be ashamed


I am absolutely **** appalled at some of the Filipino fans. I cannot understand how anyone can justify this. When we got caught sand papering a ball in cricket our entire country was ashamed and called for the 3 perpetrators to be banned. Meanwhile most of their team, some of their coaches and fans assault 2 guys for doing nothing and it's "deserved". **** them. Ban them for years and revoke them ever being allowed to host a match again. Give it to countries that can be bothered to hire security that will stop something like this and not try to justify it.
User avatar
fendilim
RealGM
Posts: 26,816
And1: 3,195
Joined: Jun 11, 2002
Location: 孫悟空, 时间太?!

Re: Australia vs Philippines Brawl 02/07/2018 

Post#15 » by fendilim » Tue Jul 3, 2018 8:08 am

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/fiba/chot-you-have-to-be-in-our-circle-to-understand-what-went-down-a2437-20180703?ref=home_hybrid_1


The outspoken mentor shed light on the incident which led to the disappointing end of the much-awaited tussle, saying that it was the Boomers, specifically Daniel Kickert, who planted the seeds of the fracas even before the game started.

“The reality is that Kickert was hitting our players during the warm-ups,” he bared. “He hit Carl Bryan Cruz, he hit Matthew Wright, (Roger) Pogoy, and he hit Calvin Abueva during the warm-ups. We already restrained the players before the game. We already told them, ‘Huwag niyo nang pansinin,’ when Kickert did all of those things at the start during the warm-ups. We already told them to focus on the game.”

It didn’t help that Kickert came in and decked Roger Pogoy after the latter’s offensive foul on Chris Goulding, which triggered the melee.

“The foul of Pogoy on Goulding was an offensive foul, it was a basketball play. But (Kickert) was the one who came in and decked Pogoy. That was the fifth time. You don’t expect to do it to a team five times and not expect us to retaliate. Unfortunately, that triggered the entire brawl. But you know, when (Kickert) did that in the third quarter, it’s hard to restrain (the Gilas players) anymore.”

there are also reports during the game that the Aussies were calling them ``monkey``, which is obviously uncalled for.
Image
AussieCeltic
Pro Prospect
Posts: 809
And1: 1,242
Joined: Jan 02, 2014
 

Re: Australia vs Philippines Brawl 02/07/2018 

Post#16 » by AussieCeltic » Tue Jul 3, 2018 10:10 am

fendilim wrote:https://www.spin.ph/basketball/fiba/chot-you-have-to-be-in-our-circle-to-understand-what-went-down-a2437-20180703?ref=home_hybrid_1


The outspoken mentor shed light on the incident which led to the disappointing end of the much-awaited tussle, saying that it was the Boomers, specifically Daniel Kickert, who planted the seeds of the fracas even before the game started.

“The reality is that Kickert was hitting our players during the warm-ups,” he bared. “He hit Carl Bryan Cruz, he hit Matthew Wright, (Roger) Pogoy, and he hit Calvin Abueva during the warm-ups. We already restrained the players before the game. We already told them, ‘Huwag niyo nang pansinin,’ when Kickert did all of those things at the start during the warm-ups. We already told them to focus on the game.”

It didn’t help that Kickert came in and decked Roger Pogoy after the latter’s offensive foul on Chris Goulding, which triggered the melee.

“The foul of Pogoy on Goulding was an offensive foul, it was a basketball play. But (Kickert) was the one who came in and decked Pogoy. That was the fifth time. You don’t expect to do it to a team five times and not expect us to retaliate. Unfortunately, that triggered the entire brawl. But you know, when (Kickert) did that in the third quarter, it’s hard to restrain (the Gilas players) anymore.”

there are also reports during the game that the Aussies were calling them ``monkey``, which is obviously uncalled for.


Well it turns out the Philippine coach is a liar. Footage shows the Philippine player tripping Kickert in the layup line in warmups! What an absolute disgrace. As someone who has coached kids as young as 10 through to 18, I’ve never even seen kids act this way.

If he lied about that, I have no doubt he’s lied about the “monkey” remarks to try justify his teams reaction.
Sphynx
Freshman
Posts: 76
And1: 58
Joined: Jul 14, 2014

Re: Australia vs Philippines Brawl 02/07/2018 

Post#17 » by Sphynx » Tue Jul 3, 2018 10:41 am

AussieCeltic wrote:
fendilim wrote:https://www.spin.ph/basketball/fiba/chot-you-have-to-be-in-our-circle-to-understand-what-went-down-a2437-20180703?ref=home_hybrid_1


The outspoken mentor shed light on the incident which led to the disappointing end of the much-awaited tussle, saying that it was the Boomers, specifically Daniel Kickert, who planted the seeds of the fracas even before the game started.

“The reality is that Kickert was hitting our players during the warm-ups,” he bared. “He hit Carl Bryan Cruz, he hit Matthew Wright, (Roger) Pogoy, and he hit Calvin Abueva during the warm-ups. We already restrained the players before the game. We already told them, ‘Huwag niyo nang pansinin,’ when Kickert did all of those things at the start during the warm-ups. We already told them to focus on the game.”

It didn’t help that Kickert came in and decked Roger Pogoy after the latter’s offensive foul on Chris Goulding, which triggered the melee.

“The foul of Pogoy on Goulding was an offensive foul, it was a basketball play. But (Kickert) was the one who came in and decked Pogoy. That was the fifth time. You don’t expect to do it to a team five times and not expect us to retaliate. Unfortunately, that triggered the entire brawl. But you know, when (Kickert) did that in the third quarter, it’s hard to restrain (the Gilas players) anymore.”

there are also reports during the game that the Aussies were calling them ``monkey``, which is obviously uncalled for.


Well it turns out the Philippine coach is a liar. Footage shows the Philippine player tripping Kickert in the layup line in warmups! What an absolute disgrace. As someone who has coached kids as young as 10 through to 18, I’ve never even seen kids act this way.

If he lied about that, I have no doubt he’s lied about the “monkey” remarks to try justify his teams reaction.




The racist card was always going to be played here, I mean what other defense can this delusional lot try and escape the heat with?

Did they not notice the 7"0 Australian/African on the opposing team? Very long bow to say the Aussies were running with this with guys like Thon in the side and Bolden, Exum, Simmons, Mills (aboriginal) all potential half black players.
dodongo
Sophomore
Posts: 242
And1: 156
Joined: Sep 01, 2006
Location: Manila, Philippines
   

Re: Australia vs Philippines Brawl 02/07/2018 

Post#18 » by dodongo » Tue Jul 3, 2018 10:49 am

AussieCeltic wrote:Such a bizarre incident.

First thing, I find it utterly disgraceful that not one person or official from Philippines Basketball has shown any remorse post incident. They're all trying to blame Australia for the following:
- Removing decals from the court pre-game (Australian officials did this as they were slippery and against FIBA regulations)
- Kickert apparently picking on guys in warmups (heaps of cameras around and nothing picked up on this)

While we look at the facts.
- The coach ordered his players to "put them on their backsides"
- Cheap shot on Goulding that started everything
- Coaches, players from the bench and officials ganging up on 2 australian players who didn't throw one punch
- A chair being thrown on a player
- Multiple king hits thrown on Australian players not looking

Kickert definitely overreacted, but he was sticking up for his teammate. In a normal game, that's a small scuffle and Kickert plus the Philippine who hit Goulding would have both been ejected. Instead, we have one of the worst brawls in recent history. Disgraceful and if I was from the Philippines, I'd be ashamed


Hey AussieCeltic, Filipino here.

The behavior of our team, our staff, and a lot of our fans is disgusting. I've lost all respect for all but four players from Gilas.

Some players have already made their statements: https://www.rappler.com/sports/by-sport/basketball/gilas-pilipinas/206407-japeth-aguilar-gabe-norwood-emotions-fiba-brawl-philippines-australia

And so has our federation: https://sports.abs-cbn.com/basketball/news/2018/07/03/sbp-apologizes-brawl-violence-place-sports-43881

While the coach has not made any further comments after claiming that Australia struck first (as if that justifies this). IMO he and his staff (including an assistant who participated in the melee) should get a lifetime ban from FIBA. They didn't even stop the bench.

This issue has divided Filipinos, we even have fans who are calling out former Gilas players who expressed their disappointment. As a Filipino I am really ashamed of this. Sad to say that violence and stupidity has become the norm here in the Philippines...
nybluemeadow
Rookie
Posts: 1,093
And1: 450
Joined: Mar 29, 2013

Re: Australia vs Philippines Brawl 02/07/2018 

Post#19 » by nybluemeadow » Tue Jul 3, 2018 11:05 am

Filipinos are soft and don't understand how to play real basketball.

I played against a few Filipinos and they don't know how to play defense, they think if u play defense on them its rude or a foul, they don't know that is how the rest of the world plays basketball.

Like a decade ago, the Filipino national team went to the USA and played against some US high school teams, these Filipinos were grow men and played against US kids and they didn't win one day and what was bad is that the Filipino national team started a fight in the game against some high school kids because they were getting blown out and after the game, the dumb Filipino coach said that the refs were making bad calls, that is why the fight happen.

I wouldn't say that Filipinos are dumb, its just that Filipinos are just ignorant and don't know how to play real basketball.
User avatar
fendilim
RealGM
Posts: 26,816
And1: 3,195
Joined: Jun 11, 2002
Location: 孫悟空, 时间太?!

Re: Australia vs Philippines Brawl 02/07/2018 

Post#20 » by fendilim » Tue Jul 3, 2018 11:12 am

But why of all people that they can trip, it was specifically Kickert who is known for his anger issues in Australia?

Also, this isnt the first game for the Philippines, they’ve also played against different countries as well, but nothing of this incident. It was only during the time merger of Oceania with Fiba asia that this happened.

Perhaps there have been racial issues, we will never know. But the Philippines have never had any problems with other Asian countries.

I mean, there are 2 sides to a coin. You can choose whatever you believe. Everyone will try to be innocent and say they didnt start it. Obviously what happened in the end was disgraceful etc, but whatever lead to that incident only those inside the court will know. Because no one will admit it, knowing the magnitude this has escalated into and what FIBA will hand down to them.

Obviously the action by the Philippine team should not be tolerated neither was Australia’s. If Australians are trying to be the victim here, then how do you explain the elbow to Pogoy’s face that started the scuffle. There are some Australians at fault and neither have that player apologized for it. Obviously there was an elbow by Pogoy to his defender after the possession stopped, but if the Australians were the good guys here, then shouldnt he have pacified it? Instead he threw an elbow to the face which really escalated the incident.

The tripping incident was already ironed out, team captains were already called by the referees to midcourt to settle their differences before the game.
Image

Return to International Basketball