Tavares is worst EL DPOY of all time.

Moderator: THE J0KER

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,617

Tavares is worst EL DPOY of all time. 

Post#1 » by UcanUwill » Wed May 8, 2019 3:15 pm

Sorry, but this genuinely made me mad. He is terrible, he LITERALLY doesnt step outside the paint when defending (no defensive 3 seconds). Yes he blocks shots, but he is worst pick and pop defender I can remember, worse than Boban, easily worse. how come a guy, who is complete pylon, almost literally a pylon on defense against any smart match up smart coach can throw at Real, win a DPOY? He is horrible, almost any team exploits his defense, how is he the best defender, wtf? What an absolute joke, Tavares winning DPOY, and Jan Vesely most likely winning MVP, is a blatant slap in the face reminder of how TERRIBLE euroleague still is. i thought we passed this, I guess not.
What a horrible selection. Hynes and Dunston winning it in the past, it looked like Euroleague understood defense, a 10 year old can look up who gets the most blocks and rebound and vote in, I thought people who actually had voices in this manner, understood basketball, what a damn joke. Is bpg is all you need now to be cosidered best defender, i thought Hanga won it purely because of chase block highlights, but at least he never was a defensive negative against any decent match up a coach worth a slt can throw at him. No one exploits Hanga, no one exploits Dunston, EVRYONE exploits Water Tavares. Unbelievable.
whatever_
Junior
And1: 558

Re: Tavares is worst EL DPOY of all time. 

Post#2 » by whatever_ » Tue May 14, 2019 6:58 pm

man, you're a bit salty
D3ko
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#3 » by D3ko » Thu May 16, 2019 4:14 pm

You are speaking about 2015 Tavares.

i´m a Real Madrid fan, and the most impressing and important task that Tavares is filling in Madrid, is that he doesnt get torched in switches not in Europe at least. There is not enough space for the pg to go to the rim , with him and a 6`10 PF collapsing the paint.

Above that he is able to defense the 3 point line( reminder;shorter than in NBA) with his lentgh

Since he arrives Madrid, 2 FINAL FOURS IN 2 YEARS, with him as the cornerstone of the defense, and hustle on offense.

Nothing else to say or to prove.

IMPACT PLAYER SINCE DAY 1 IN MADRID
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#4 » by UcanUwill » Fri May 17, 2019 5:26 pm

D3ko wrote:You are speaking about 2015 Tavares.

i´m a Real Madrid fan, and the most impressing and important task that Tavares is filling in Madrid, is that he doesnt get torched in switches not in Europe at least. There is not enough space for the pg to go to the rim , with him and a 6`10 PF collapsing the paint.

Above that he is able to defense the 3 point line( reminder;shorter than in NBA) with his lentgh

Since he arrives Madrid, 2 FINAL FOURS IN 2 YEARS, with him as the cornerstone of the defense, and hustle on offense.

I dont think I have ever seen Tavares play in 2015, I formed an opinion purely from his days in Real. How come a guy who LITERALLY doesnt step outside the paint on defense win a DPOY in todays day and age? Its a joke, Zalgiris beat Real and got into playoffs purely because of Tavares non existent defense, you should never say that about DPOY, thats insane.

whatever_ wrote:man, you're a bit salty

as a fan of Euroleague I just feel embarrassed, how come such a flawed and often negative nefender be named best defensive players, its an absolute embarrassment.
whatever_
Junior

Post#5 » by whatever_ » Fri May 17, 2019 7:19 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
D3ko wrote:You are speaking about 2015 Tavares.

I dont think I have ever seen Tavares play in 2015, I formed an opinion purely from his days in Real. How come a guy who LITERALLY doesnt step outside the paint on defense win a DPOY in todays day and age? Its a joke, Zalgiris beat Real and got into playoffs purely because of Tavares non existent defense, you should never say that about DPOY, thats insane.

whatever_ wrote:man, you're a bit salty

as a fan of Euroleague I just feel embarrassed, how come such a flawed and often negative nefender be named best defensive players, its an absolute embarrassment.

I hope you're watching the game :lol:
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#6 » by UcanUwill » Fri May 17, 2019 7:56 pm

whatever_ wrote:

Yes, i am watching. Too bad CSKA lack spacer at center position, Tavares has looked great so far, but they targetting him at pick and roll, and book is open still, DeColo and Rodriguez need to get trigger happy after the pick and stop driving in the paint, because its Tavares strength, I dont like their game plan at all, they have to turn Reals strength into a weakness with Tavares. Doesnt change a fact that Tavares is poor pick and roll defender and you just dont give DPOY to a player who cant defend pick and roll in basketball.
whatever_
Junior

Post#7 » by whatever_ » Fri May 17, 2019 8:27 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
whatever_ wrote:

Yes, i am watching. Too bad CSKA lack spacer at center position, Tavares has looked great so far, but they targetting him at pick and roll, and book is open still, DeColo and Rodriguez need to get trigger happy after the pick and stop driving in the paint, because its Tavares strength, I dont like their game plan at all, they have to turn Reals strength into a weakness with Tavares. Doesnt change a fact that Tavares is poor pick and roll defender and you just dont give DPOY to a player who cant defend pick and roll in basketball.

why not?

He is a beast in the paint, nobody scores there when he's playing.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#8 » by UcanUwill » Fri May 17, 2019 9:26 pm

whatever_ wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
whatever_ wrote:

why not?

He is a beast in the paint, nobody scores there when he's playing.

He looked good today, Lasso somewhat went away from him for switching purposes, but the biggest mistake on defense was still made by Randolph, who didnt switched and left Decolo wide open for that huge 3, Randolph looked like Enes Kanter right there, lost them the game.

I still think Tavares is terrible pick and roll defender, but he has his moments even there, when he spreads his arms there, he looks very intimidating, he covers so much.

My problem, is that DPOY should be at least somewhat versatile on DEFENSE. You should never bench DPOY for DEFENSIVE, you know what I mean, Lasso is forced to do often, because opponents exploit Tavares all the time. Taares is amazing rim protector, but when you are a liability in pick and roll often, you should not even sniff best defender title.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,368

Post#9 » by baldur » Sat May 25, 2019 12:05 am

so who were your more legit candidates?
pootbrah
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#10 » by pootbrah » Sun May 26, 2019 2:08 am

being a versatile defender =/= most impactful/best defender.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,477

Post#11 » by Mirotic12 » Sun May 26, 2019 5:02 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Sorry, but this genuinely made me mad. He is terrible, he LITERALLY doesnt step outside the paint when defending (no defensive 3 seconds). Yes he blocks shots, but he is worst pick and pop defender I can remember, worse than Boban, easily worse. how come a guy, who is complete pylon, almost literally a pylon on defense against any smart match up smart coach can throw at Real, win a DPOY? He is horrible, almost any team exploits his defense, how is he the best defender, wtf? What an absolute joke, Tavares winning DPOY, and Jan Vesely most likely winning MVP, is a blatant slap in the face reminder of how TERRIBLE euroleague still is. i thought we passed this, I guess not.
What a horrible selection. Hynes and Dunston winning it in the past, it looked like Euroleague understood defense, a 10 year old can look up who gets the most blocks and rebound and vote in, I thought people who actually had voices in this manner, understood basketball, what a damn joke. Is bpg is all you need now to be cosidered best defender, i thought Hanga won it purely because of chase block highlights, but at least he never was a defensive negative against any decent match up a coach worth a slt can throw at him. No one exploits Hanga, no one exploits Dunston, EVRYONE exploits Water Tavares. Unbelievable.

It's true that Tavares can't cover at all on the perimeter, but under FIBA rules, with a true zone defense (no defensive 3 seconds allowed), he can be way more effective than he can under NBA rules. You are right though, he's certainly not the best defender in EuroLeague, not even the best defender in EuroLeague at the center position. Personally, I think Campazzo is the best defender in EuroLeague.

As for Adam Hanga...he's pretty good on defense, but that's it. He should not have won the best defender of the year award either. Most of his defense is all team defense / off the ball defense. He isn't quick enough to keep any good offensive player down in man defense. He can be exploited by any good individual scoring 2/3 if they play man.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#12 » by UcanUwill » Thu Oct 8, 2020 7:19 pm

Look what Dubljevic is doing to him right now. Put a 3 point shooter on Tavares and its an open 3 every time. Guy cant do jack but camp for blocks inside, dude is such a defensive liability 12+ feet out. People like to crap on Gobert, how his defense gets exposed in the play offs by spacing and such, Tavares is that 10 times over.

Return to International Basketball