Panathinaikos on Sale: time for euroleague ending?

Moderator: THE J0KER

a-French-Fan
Junior
And1: 156

Panathinaikos on Sale: time for euroleague ending? 

Post#1 » by a-French-Fan » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:38 am

Panathinaikos is on sale for 25 millions euros.

Dimitris Giannakopoulos said that his family had put 450 millions in the club. He also said that next owners should go to BCL than Euroleague. Euroleague wouldn't had paid as much as promised.

Actually, I am not so surprised, financial situation of Euroleague teams is so much unsustainable. You may have a big sponsor that who doesn't give a clue to lose so much money (Maccabi, Pana, Fener, Efes, CSKA ...) or you need to be supported by a football club (Real, Barca, Bayern), that is even the case for TP's ASVEL who is getting more and more close to ASVEL. And with COVID-19, will Turkish Arilines able to spend so much money next years?

An other point is influence of Euroleague on European National Teams. Where are greek, russian or turkish prospects? (even Spanish prospects). While getting a higher level, Euroleague teams hired more and more international players, and local players played less and less years after years.

So should Euroleague should end and its teams going to BCL?
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 11,875

Re: Panathinaikos on Sale: time for euroleague ending? 

Post#2 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:09 am

Owning EL team never was a business, you throw much more money than you gain. Its crazy he only asks for 25 million Euros, that sounds super cheap to me. On related note, some PAO fans assaulted his home after decision to sell the team, because of course. Some of these PAO/OLY hardcore fans are a disgrace.
a-French-Fan
Junior

Post#3 » by a-French-Fan » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:47 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Owning EL team never was a business, you throw much more money than you gain. Its crazy he only asks for 25 million Euros, that sounds super cheap to me. On related note, some PAO fans assaulted his home after decision to sell the team, because of course. Some of these PAO/OLY hardcore fans are a disgrace.

Cheap? but who would pay a lot of money to get the right to lose big money then?

I agree, EL team never had been a business, but it could (should?) be. I mean the game is very interesting, Euroleague regular season is not garbage like NBA regular season. NBA is too high for Euroleague get best players in the wolrd, with wages decreasing, players that had already earnt enough money into NBA would stay. If Euroleague teams stop huge deficits like now, where best players could go away? NBA? If they were able to keep a true role in NBA they would not be in Euroleague. Australian Basketball league? In a south american championships? Maybe China for some players.

While being more serious, EL could have a real development instead running after some sponsors.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 11,875

Post#4 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:54 pm

a-French-Fan wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Owning EL team never was a business, you throw much more money than you gain. Its crazy he only asks for 25 million Euros, that sounds super cheap to me. On related note, some PAO fans assaulted his home after decision to sell the team, because of course. Some of these PAO/OLY hardcore fans are a disgrace.

Cheap? but who would pay a lot of money to get the right to lose big money then?

I agree, EL team never had been a business, but it could (should?) be. I mean the game is very interesting, Euroleague regular season is not garbage like NBA regular season. NBA is too high for Euroleague get best players in the wolrd, with wages decreasing, players that had already earnt enough money into NBA would stay. If Euroleague teams stop huge deficits like now, where best players could go away? NBA? If they were able to keep a true role in NBA they would not be in Euroleague. Australian Basketball league? In a south american championships? Maybe China for some players.

While being more serious, EL could have a real development instead running after some sponsors.

Yeah, I guess its not that cheap considering its just a subscription to throw more money away, but man, it still sounds like not that much of money, I dont know, I never actually knew how much Euroleague teams costs, now I am used to NBA teams being sold for 2 billion and such.

Euroleague season is interesting if you are a fan, but in Europe its just not that popular to begin with.
a-French-Fan
Junior

Post#5 » by a-French-Fan » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:13 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
a-French-Fan wrote:

Yeah, I guess its not that cheap considering its just a subscription to throw more money away, but man, it still sounds like not that much of money, I dont know, I never actually knew how much Euroleague teams costs, now I am used to NBA teams being sold for 2 billion and such.

Euroleague season is interesting if you are a fan, but in Europe its just not that popular to begin with.

And actually with football (soccer) hegemony, it could be hard to make any benefit. An other point is Euroleague geography, only one in France because there is a famous owner, only one in all former yougoslavian republics, no one in northern Europe ... And maybe the main sponsor is a problem. It looks like more soft power than any honest support to basketball.

BTW with BCL I don't see FIBA Europe making something good with clubs, when I remember how Ukrain won organization of 2015 Euro, or how Turkey joined Olympic QT in 2016 (thanks BEKO as a sponsor ^^)... basketball is not as popular for sponsors to make business with corrupted guys ...
LuDux1
Veteran
And1: 2,674

Post#6 » by LuDux1 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:02 pm

Previously at Gate13 home base:

Return to International Basketball