Team USA in 2010.

Moderator: THE J0KER

jt142
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#41 » by jt142 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:07 am

robbe wrote:First, Ricky plays ACB and played ULEB-Cup (won it), not Euroleague. His lateral quickness is no worse than Sergios, so I don't really see the point here. Plus, athletic weaknesses for various reasons aren't exploited as much in international ball as in the NBA, and Spain utilises a zone defense very often anyway. As mentioned before, he fits in there perfectly.

OK, I agree that the international game is different and that lack of quickness and athleticism can't be exploited as easily as it would in the NBA. This would explain why Jasikevicius and Spanoulis are great FIBA players, but suck in the NBA.

National coaches are not putting NBA players into the roster simply because they are on an NBA team. Sergio didn't play much in Portland this season, while Ricky was one of the best starting PGs in the very strong ACB.

I disagree

The best players on most of the North American, European, South American, and Asian teams play in the NBA. Nash, Nowitzki, Gasol, Parker, Kirilenko, Peja, Kleiza, Yao, Bogut, and Bargnani are all the best players for their respective NTs. Is it any coincidence that they're all NBA players? So, your statement that NT coaches are leaving players off their rosters because they're NBA players is hogwash. NBA players are the best players in the world. I could understand how Sergio's situation could be a little different because of his lack of playing time. However, he's still an NBA player and plays against the best guards in the world, night in and night out. I can't say the same for Rubio.
robbe
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#42 » by robbe » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:38 am

jt142 wrote:I disagree

The best players on most of the North American, European, South American, and Asian teams play in the NBA. Nash, Nowitzki, Gasol, Parker, Kirilenko, Peja, Kleiza, Yao, Bogut, and Bargnani are all the best players for their respective NTs. Is it any coincidence that they're all NBA players? So, your statement that NT coaches are leaving players off their rosters because they're NBA players is hogwash. NBA players are the best players in the world. I could understand how Sergio's situation could be a little different because of his lack of playing time. However, he's still an NBA player and plays against the best guards in the world, night in and night out. I can't say the same for Rubio.

Jt, this is simply not true. Kleiza and Songaila are not and have never been the leaders of Lithuania. Jasikevicius, Macijauskas and Siskauskas are, no matter if NBA or not. Garbajosa and Navarro had always been two of the cornerstones of the Spanish roster because of what they are. Nobody cares whether they play in Toronto, Memphis, Barcelona or Malaga. I never posted that coaches leave players off BECAUSE they play in the NBA btw, I justed wanted to point out that it isn't the ultimate criteria. French NT coach Bergeaud for example. This guy left Mickael Pietrus out of for the last Eurobasket, as the swingman simply hadn't performed in the international tourneys prior to that. He included Tariq Kirksay instead, a player who was pretty much only known domestically before signing with Unics Kazan in summer '07. The Frensh underperformed, but Kirksay didn't do worse than Pietrus. Or Bogdan Tanjevic, headcoach of the Turkish NT. This guy already stated that he is for several reasons planning to not call Mehmet Okur into his lineup for the upcoming qualification tournament, even if Okur is available.

Following your arguments, France should be the most successful European basketball country, as they have the most NBA players. Truth is, Greece without a single one and Lithuania with two (excluding Ilgauskas, who never showed up) are way above France. The 2004 Olympics final took place with only one single NBA player (Manu) participating. Exactly the same with the 2006 World Championship final (Calderon).
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#43 » by Village Idiot » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:58 pm

jt142 wrote:My proposed changes to your selections:

Carmelo over Gay

Wade over Mayo

Stoudamire over Aldridge

Also, where are the shooters????? Michael Redd, Kyle Korver, Mike Miller, or Jason Kapono need to be on this team. Redd might be a little old by that time.

I would also like to see David West and Al Horford in a USA jersey at some point.

I think Aldridge, Roy, and Oden have a shot at making the team, but Mayo and Gay shouldn't even be considered. Gay plays for a terrible Memphis team, which explains why his stats are inflated. He can't play defense and he's a streaky shooter. It's too early to tell if Mayo is a viable option at the SG position. He's a bit undersized at 6'4"

I think Carmelo Anthony is a loser and a prick.

Wade needs to worry about his health.

Aldridge is a better defender than Stoudemire whom I feel is the most overrated player in the NBA.

I like Mayo a lot and think he's a great outside shooter. With the International game becoming more NBA like due to the changes to the key and 3pt line, one dimensional shooters aren't needed as much as well-rounded players.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin

Return to International Basketball