Pekovic-contract situation

Moderator: THE J0KER

KWSN-Men
Banned User
And1: 13

Re: Pekovic-contract situation 

Post#41 » by KWSN-Men » Sun May 3, 2009 5:45 pm

mmaland wrote:This is far too big of news to not show up anywhere other than blog posts. I will patiently wait for proof.

Like I said, try asking about it in a thread here, I guarantee other forum members saw it.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#42 » by Krapinsky » Sun May 3, 2009 6:44 pm

I really do not think you can read to much into this. Let's think of the incentives ---

Pekovic says: "I can't wait to go play in the NBA"

Effect: His Greek team knows that he wants to leave, thus giving them leverage in any buyout discussions. They can afford to play hardball and refuse to negotiate on his buyout. Timberwolves can come in with a low ball offer knowing he wants to play in the NBA.

Pekovic says: "I love it here, I have no desire to play in the NBA for the Timberwolves or whoever"

Effect: His Greek team is pleased in the meantime thinking he wants to stay. The rest of his teammates trust him as they believe he remains committed to the long term success of the franchise. Timberwolves know they'll have to pony up extra dough to convince him to come over which gives Pekovic more leverage and results in a higher paying deal.

This financial incentive line of reasoning is consistent with why he was picked with the first pick in the second round. Teams knew that with him it was going to be about the money and were told not to lock him into the first round rookie scale or else he would not come over.

Conclusion: Seems to me Pekovic is just saying what any smart player with a a smart agent would say. Saying he can't wait to play in the NBA provides no incentive since he is already drafted. A player that has yet to be drafted on the other hand would have an incentive to say he "can't wait to take his game to the NBA," because that would mean he would be drafted higher and have a chance to make more money.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#43 » by KWSN-Men » Sun May 3, 2009 9:39 pm

Dr.Krapinsky wrote:I really do not think you can read to much into this. Let's think of the incentives ---

Pekovic says: "I can't wait to go play in the NBA"

Effect: His Greek team knows that he wants to leave, thus giving them leverage in any buyout discussions. They can afford to play hardball and refuse to negotiate on his buyout. Timberwolves can come in with a low ball offer knowing he wants to play in the NBA.

Pekovic says: "I love it here, I have no desire to play in the NBA for the Timberwolves or whoever"

Effect: His Greek team is pleased in the meantime thinking he wants to stay. The rest of his teammates trust him as they believe he remains committed to the long term success of the franchise. Timberwolves know they'll have to pony up extra dough to convince him to come over which gives Pekovic more leverage and results in a higher paying deal.

This financial incentive line of reasoning is consistent with why he was picked with the first pick in the second round. Teams knew that with him it was going to be about the money and were told not to lock him into the first round rookie scale or else he would not come over.

Conclusion: Seems to me Pekovic is just saying what any smart player with a a smart agent would say. Saying he can't wait to play in the NBA provides no incentive since he is already drafted. A player that has yet to be drafted on the other hand would have an incentive to say he "can't wait to take his game to the NBA," because that would mean he would be drafted higher and have a chance to make more money.

Pekovic doesn't have a buyout for the NBA. He can simply opt out of his contract for the NBA whenever he wants to.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#44 » by Krapinsky » Sun May 3, 2009 10:01 pm

Regardless, other incentives are still there. Point is I wouldn't forget about him just yet.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#45 » by Joana » Sun May 3, 2009 11:16 pm

Dr.Krapinsky wrote:A player that has yet to be drafted on the other hand would have an incentive to say he "can't wait to take his game to the NBA," because that would mean he would be drafted higher and have a chance to make more money.

Well, he was pretty assertive about his desire of not joining the NBA BEFORE being drafted. He was very clear about that, he said repeated times he had no plans of ever joining the league.

However, as odd as it may seem, the fact he did that so loudly means it's in his plans to consider it in due time. What Pekovic said now was nothing special, just the standard statements players say in these occasions: "I'm happy here, I don't want to go anywhere, I want to stay here, I'm focused in my job here, bla bla bla".

You people can bookmark this page. If Pekovic doesn't move to the NBA once his contract is up (providing he receives a good offer - he probably isn't the kind of guy who will agree to lose a lot of money - from a team with a vision on how to use him), I'll donate $100 to a charity or civic association from the city of Minneapolis. revprodeji can choose it (Planned Parenthood, ACORN, NAACP and stuff like that are excluded).
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#46 » by KWSN-Men » Sun May 3, 2009 11:19 pm

Joana wrote:
Dr.Krapinsky wrote:A player that has yet to be drafted on the other hand would have an incentive to say he "can't wait to take his game to the NBA," because that would mean he would be drafted higher and have a chance to make more money.

Well, he was pretty assertive about his desire of not joining the NBA BEFORE being drafted. He was very clear about that, he said repeated times he had no plans of ever joining the league.

However, as odd as it may seem, the fact he did that so loudly means it's in his plans to consider it in due time. What Pekovic said now was nothing special, just the standard statements players say in these occasions: "I'm happy here, I don't want to go anywhere, I want to stay here, I'm focused in my job here, bla bla bla".

You people can bookmark this page. If Pekovic doesn't move to the NBA once his contract is up (providing he receives a good offer - he probably isn't the kind of guy who will agree to lose a lot of money - from a team with a vision on how to use him), I'll donate $100 to a charity or civic association from the city of Minneapolis. revprodeji can choose it (Planned Parenthood, ACORN, NAACP and stuff like that are excluded).

I never said he would not join the NBA. I am merely stating what he himself said. He might be lying, he might not be. I am simply relaying the info to Wolves fans who are interested in this issue. Also you say once his contract is up.........there are Wolves fans saying that their managers said he would come to the NBA BEFORE his Euro contract is over.

I have no doubt he would go to the NBA after his Euro contract was over, that is not even part of this discussion.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#47 » by revprodeji » Sun May 3, 2009 11:46 pm

Joana wrote: I'll donate $100 to a charity or civic association from the city of Minneapolis. revprodeji can choose it (Planned Parenthood, ACORN, NAACP and stuff like that are excluded).

Of course Planned Parenthood would not be included, unless we are spending the 100 to fence them off.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...

Return to International Basketball