FIBA World Olympic Qualifying Tournament 2008

Moderator: THE J0KER

Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Re: FIBA World Olympic Qualifying Tournament 2008 

Post#61 » by Rasho Brezec » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:43 am

I was actually more impressed with Brazil than Germany so far. I think it should be a hard fought game and I hope Brazilians win.
planaria
Rookie
And1: 9

Post#62 » by planaria » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:11 pm

Apollo64 wrote:Can't wait to see the Splitter/Kaman matchup come Friday. I don't think Brazil has much of a chance against Germany, because they don't seem to me capable of stopping Nowitzki, but it should be an interesting game.

Btw Splitter seems to me more than ready to play in the NBA, he had a terrific game against Greece today, too bad his contract won't allow that to happen during the next few years.

I think it´ll be an interesting game. We would not have much chance if Chris Kaman was praticing with the NT for months, but he just arrive there.

In the other hand, Brazil has played like a team (exclude the game against the Greece. Lol), so we might equal the stuff there.

We dont have anybody to stop Dirk. For sure Splitter could minimize his impact, but it´s be stupid waste Splitter on Dirk (foul trouble and make him tired).

I guess that coach will try several players in Dirk (Murilo, Marcus Toledo and Tavernari) what should result in a lot of fouls (and FTs for Dirk).

In the other hand, I dont think that Huertas will have 20% of the trouble he had in the last night game against the germans.

It´s should be a really nice (and nervous for fans) game to watch.
I love players like Kobe Bryant, Vince Carter, Carmelo Anthony and Tracy McGrady. Why? Just because I love basketball. Even if you don't have one in your team, you should love them, too. ;)
dsorc
Pro Prospect
And1: 91

Post#63 » by dsorc » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:52 pm

It sucks to be a Puerto Rico fan right now. By losing to Croatia, in a game we were up big early, we put ourselves on the hardest side of the bracket. We get Slovenia tomorrow, who was one of the favorites coming in, and if we win we'll probably get Greece after that. Ouch.
Apollo64
Starter
And1: 724

Post#64 » by Apollo64 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:25 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:I was actually more impressed with Brazil than Germany so far. I think it should be a hard fought game and I hope Brazilians win.

Brazil has made leaps and strides since i last saw them playing, they play now like a team and with decent defense, but what kills them is their lack of bench depth. They fared well against Greece during the first half, staying close to the score, but as fouls and fatigue crept up, they had to give up the game, since there were no options from the bench. I don't think the matchups favour them against Germany, Splitter won't have an easy game with Kaman guarding him and i don't see for the life of me how they can stop Nowitzki from going for 30+ points (they may stop him in the beginning of the game, but they won't keep up for the duration of the game).
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout

Post#65 » by Rasho Brezec » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:41 pm

The biggest mistake teams make when they play Germany is that they try to stop Nowitzki. He can't be stopped effectively, he will get his points. And if you focus the whole defense on him, their perimeter shooters will have a career game. The important thing is to stop the rest of their team, even Dirk won't be able to win the game by himself.
dsorc
Pro Prospect
And1: 91

Post#66 » by dsorc » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:29 pm

Croatia destroyed a Dalembert-less Canada team to get in to the final 4 in the first game today. 83-62

Puerto Rico has beaten Slovenia by 11. May this set up a rematch against Croatia for the last Olympic invitation? It would be cool if that is how it played out.
wilt
Analyst
And1: 147

Post#67 » by wilt » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:48 pm

Could very well happen, though i´d say Croatia could very well beat Brasil or Germany in the semi.

For Slovenia Nesterovic manages to shoot 40 times in this 3 games without going to the line once, that´s some impressive evasion of contact :o ;) It´s not much of an anomaly for him though, seeing his career average is 0.9 FTA and last 2 months with the Raptors scored 15 a game going to the line 1,3 times a game ...

I´m officially claiming a stat line of 10+ FGAs with 0 FTAs as a big man to be called delivering a "Rasho".

Canada was overmatched really, too bad as i liked them as a team (minus the recent Dalembert-incident), Croatia with a solid game and looking comfortable so far.

For Puerto Rico Arroyo was great and Ramos stepped up big late in the game. A couple good showings from role players (Lee, Mojica), too. Deserved victory over a strange slovenian team that somehow really lost their way during the game ...

"Toughness is not just hard fouls and being willing to fight people. Toughness is being 10 down and continuing to do what your coach wants you to do."
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout

Post#68 » by Rasho Brezec » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:16 pm

Nothing strange about Slovenian team, check out history of our "success" in elimination rounds. Our coach is the biggest choker in the planet, like I have said that in some thread a few weeks ago.
wilt
Analyst

Post#69 » by wilt » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:36 pm

well, i meant it that way, that they are just strange to watch implode time and time again despite undoubtable talent and good early performances. I definitely feel you there :(

"Toughness is not just hard fouls and being willing to fight people. Toughness is being 10 down and continuing to do what your coach wants you to do."
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout

Post#70 » by Rasho Brezec » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:29 pm

The saddest part is that we have enough talent for at least three top-tier teams:

Probably the strongest lineup put together:

PG: Beno Udrih
SG: Sasha Vujacic
SF: Bostjan Nachbar
PF: Matjaz Smodis
C: Rasho Nesterovic

2nd best lineup:

PG: Jaka Lakovic
SG: Sani Becirovic
SF: Domen Lorbek
PF: Erazem Lorbek
C: Primoz Brezec

3rd lineup where the oldest player would be Slokar with 25 years:

PG: Goran Dragic
SG: Jaka Klobucar
SF: Emir Preldzic
PF: Uros Slokar
C: Gasper Vidmar

And not to mention I had to left out 3 or 4 players. That's three lineups that would all be amongst the best in Europe coming from a country of barely 2 million residents. The only problem is basketball association, where nothing has changed since it was established 17 years ago or so. Incredible waste of talent.
wilt
Analyst

Post#71 » by wilt » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:24 pm

German Team with a terrific 2nd quarter, they were all over Brazil finishing out 31-13 and a 14-0 run to finnish the half and now lead 45-26. Yeah, Brazil with some easy mistakes, but overall the german defense is the main reason, really great intensity.
The last couple minutes were like "wow" with everyone having key moments. Nowitzki finally found his touch, then had a great 3 point play, Wysocki all over the court and hits a big 3, then hamann dunks all over Garcia on the break, and then Greene hits his very first shot seconds before the half.
And Roller going 4-4 from 3, 3 off the dribble using the pick from the bigs and 1 from the Nowitzki double team.

For Brazil Marcelinho got 9 points but had terrible shot selection, Huertas had a few drives but Germans rotate over well most situations. Splitter tries hard and had a couple nice moves, but overall Kaman and also Nowitzki (who is a really good defender in international play) have had by far the upper hand defensively.

Point forward
Head Coach
And1: 285

Post#72 » by Point forward » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:36 pm

GER is currently demolishing Brazil. 55-30 after 26 minutes. Dirk and Wysocki (!!) are just flattening the Selecao.
Lakers_4_Life
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#73 » by Lakers_4_Life » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:41 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:The biggest mistake teams make when they play Germany is that they try to stop Nowitzki. He can't be stopped effectively, he will get his points. And if you focus the whole defense on him, their perimeter shooters will have a career game. The important thing is to stop the rest of their team, even Dirk won't be able to win the game by himself.

You have to guard him with wing players. That's what bothers him.
KB #24 = NBA's #1
Lakers Fan 4 Life
Point forward
Head Coach
And1: 285

Post#74 » by Point forward » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:59 pm

GER with their typical once-per-game snooze period, get outscored 1-10. :banghead:
Ern III
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#75 » by Ern III » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:21 pm

So much for a tight game. Although they've fought back well, in truth, Germany had already throttled Brazil out of a contest.

I've just had my first look at the Kaman-Nowitzki partnership. It's a good one already, but it should become even better, which is a daunting consideration for future opponents. Dirk was unstoppable in the first half and, while Kaman naturally looked a little lost on offense at times, he was vacuuming tough defensive boards like some German black hole in the third quarter, and hit a nice turn-around fall-away in the lane a while after a short, righty jump-hook to start the second half. On offense, Germany rarely deviated from the high pick and roll with Dirk and the PG with Kaman setting a down-screen at the high post, probably to keep things simple while Chris gets accustomed. Either that or they gave the ball to either of the two primo bigs (mainly Kaman) in the low block. I'm convinced they won't need to be any more complicated than that to qualify for Beijing.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#76 » by Basti » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:37 pm

Ern III wrote:I've just had my first look at the Kaman-Nowitzki partnership. It's a good one already, but it should become even better, which is a daunting consideration for future opponents. Dirk was unstoppable in the first half and, while Kaman naturally looked a little lost on offense at times, he was vacuuming tough defensive boards like some German black hole in the third quarter, and hit a nice turn-around fall-away in the lane a while after a short, righty jump-hook to start the second half. On offense, Germany rarely deviated from the high pick and roll with Dirk and the PG with Kaman setting a down-screen at the high post, probably to keep things simple while Chris gets accustomed. Either that or they gave the ball to either of the two primo bigs (mainly Kaman) in the low block. I'm convinced they won't need to be any more complicated than that to qualify for Beijing.

no it is pretty normal for the german NT to play easy set ups. I wouldn't say our coach is a bad coach but his offensive sets are really predictable. if it weren't for Nowitzki (and now Kaman) creating for the others by receiving double teams our offense would suck big time. damn I hope with the addition of Kaman our offense might get some diversity.
Apollo64
Starter
And1: 724

Post#77 » by Apollo64 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:58 pm

Germany has now a team that deserves a spot in the Olympics without a doubt. I think they will beat Croatia too, though not as easily as they beat Brazil today.
Ern III
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#78 » by Ern III » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:47 pm

Half-time in a really physical Germany-Croatia affair.

The Croats have gotten away with a few things here and there. Dirk's being smashed on both ends; some of them called, some not. Kaman got an early 'T' protesting a non-call when pushed under the basket attempting a lay-up, and was whistled for an offensive foul when he was rugby tackled setting a screen. FIBA basketball, I guess. The big Clipper is learning on the fly.

Croatia certainly deserve their lead. The German guards need to give Dirk more help.
wilt
Analyst

Post#79 » by wilt » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:55 pm

Nowitzki´s playing like a warrior really, gives his all. Kaman looks out of sync so far, the other guys not any better. A decent drive here and there, but overall terrible for national team guys... Croatia missed quite a few relatively easy close range shots and layups, could have been clearer and really should have been if you look at the performances.
But if Croatia doesn´t start hitting those they won´t win this, Nowitzki will get his and i think at some point someone else will step up.
I´d like to see Jagla some, while often inconsistent he can be an X-Factor of some sort. Hamann shouldn´t really see the court much, a PG who can´t shoot and isn´t able to get past his defender hasn´t much use really...

FairDinkum
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#80 » by FairDinkum » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:34 pm

Croatia making all the big plays down the stretch

Return to International Basketball