Ricky Rubio sucks

Moderator: THE J0KER

concrete
Banned User
And1: 0

Ricky Rubio sucks 

Post#1 » by concrete » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:13 pm

Yea, I don't care if he is 17. I would say he's experience and has a good head on his shoulder.

He has a bad hitch on his long range jumper, he's below average atheletically, and he's not a great on-ball defender. In my opinion.

He's young, so everyone will say "potential". Well potential is imaginary...reality is if he's the #1 pick he may not come around to being an allstar until 4 or 5 years later and that is if he reaches this imaginary potential. He wouldn't even be a star in the ACC right now.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Re: Ricky Rubio sucks 

Post#2 » by pickIBL » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:10 pm

the same could be said about Calderon when you watch only one game where he goes up against kidd, paul, and williams.

Rubio is going to be a top 3 pick next year. its pretty clear this is the only time you've seen him.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
monks
Ballboy

Post#3 » by monks » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:29 pm

It sucks that this observation comes now, right after Spain got blown out of the water by Team US, because he was one of the few bright spots on the entire team.

He looked like he belonged out there more than Jose Calderon (who is already a starter in the NBA) and Raul Lopez (who played several years in the league in the early 2000s). If the average American fan had never seen nor heard any of the 3 Spanish PGs before, they'd assume Rubio must be the best point guard in the country judging by the way he carried himself out there.

Lopez, who's been around international competition for nearly a decade now, put up an 0/5 performance with 0 assists. Calderon, who is viewed as a top 10 PG in the NBA, went like 1/8 and turned the ball over like crazy. I don't even think he played the in the third quarter.

Meanwhile, there's Rubio - 8/3/3/3 - plus he brought more energy than the rest of the Spanish roster. He and Rudy Fernandez were really the only ones who looked like they wanted to play after the first quarter. But the point is this: He also made consistently good entry passes and moved the ball well on the break - his teammates just couldn't convert.

Look at it this way: He's had about 3 years of experience playing professional basketball, but like everyone in European leagues he is brought along gradually, not simply handed the reigns and made top option on their squads like many colleges and NBA teams usually do. So if he reaches his "potential" by 20 or 21, it should be a success given his natural progression.

Is he a freak athlete? No. Were John Stockton, Mark Price, or Mark Jackson "jump out of the gym" athletes? No. They all possess three important factors in being successful point guards: Basketball IQ, a calm swagger and boundless energy. Those three things can definitely compensate for even average athleticism...and all-in-all, I'd say Rubio is slightly above average. Just because he isn't build like a pogo stick and can't do 360 windmills doesn't mean he's not a good athlete.

His on-ball defense? First, he forced Chris Paul to commit two turnovers in the span of about 5 possessions. Secondly, Spain predominantly played zone once the game got out of hand. Yet, he still remained aggressive and forced the point guards away from the top of the key. If they "blew" by him, it's his teammates fault for not covering their zones.

Rubio may be a top 3 pick next year if he can get out of his contract, but it's almost a guarantee that by 2010 he will be a lock for the top of the draft class. Imaginary potential or not this kid can play with anyone.
concrete
Banned User

Post#4 » by concrete » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:53 am

No what sucks is that Rubio has done nothing this whole Olympic series.

Not only that it sucks that his comparision has been Pistol Pete Maravich.

He does not have any of Pistol Pete skills

Mark Price? Was a light's out shooter.

John Stockton has high iq and high vision and great man defense. Chris Paul made a few dumb passes and we can say Rubio caused them (even though he was doubled teamed) but Paul carved him up the rest of the night.

Rubio will not be able to guard NBA guards , he can't create his own shot, no strength, good IQ and very heady. Hmm, sounds like Chris Duhon to me
monks
Ballboy

Post#5 » by monks » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:29 am

concrete wrote:No what sucks is that Rubio has done nothing this whole Olympic series.

I guess that whole "leading Spain back to beat China in overtime" thing doesn't count since he only scored one point. Forget the fact that, oh I don't know, Spain would be 2-2 without his contributions there.

concrete wrote:Not only that it sucks that his comparision has been Pistol Pete Maravich.

We didn't come up with it - people in Spain saw the similarities years ago not only in his look, but in his style of play, swagger and energy. All of those things are kind of important. Just because he's a foreigner doesn't mean his upside can't be compared to an All-Time American great. While saying Ricky Rubio is the next Juan Antonio Corbalan would be a compliment to him, it'd probably be a very empty-sounding one to anyone outside of Spain.

concrete wrote:Chris Paul made a few dumb passes and we can say Rubio caused them (even though he was doubled teamed) but Paul carved him up the rest of the night.

Judging a player by his defense when the Spanish team played zone for roughly 3/4 of the game doesn't really do your argument justice. Again, if Paul drove around Rubio's zone, it was somebody else's problem to stop him...and Paul was (as we always is) tough to stop.

Right now, Rubio may only be able to hang with, but not "dominate," top-tier guards like Paul and Deron Williams. Here are the starting PGs I would take over him, right now, at age 17 - still 2 years away from being drafted despite playing professionally for 3 years now and seeing significant time in the Olympic games:
Andre Miller, Devin Harris (barely), Jose Calderon, Gilbert Arenas, Kirk Hinrich (barely), Chauncey Billups, Tony Parker, Chris Paul, Jason Kidd, Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Baron Davis and Derek Fisher. That's 13, meaning I'd take him over 17 others right now.

In two years? Cross Miller, Harris, Calderon, Hinrich, Billups, Kidd, Nash and Fisher off that list. That's 5 I would take over him - and those five are Arenas/Parker/Paul/Williams/Davis. Not bad company, right?

Face it: he won't be able to prove what he can do until he comes over here and does it. But by playing in the Beijing games, taking over as the star for DKV next year when Rudy Fernandez leaves, and facing some of the toughest non-NBA competition in Euroleague play for the next two years, he is going to improve...and I firmly believe he'll improve enough to join the upper echelon of PGs in the league by the next World Championships.
jt142
Rookie

Post#6 » by jt142 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:12 pm

monks wrote:
concrete wrote:No what sucks is that Rubio has done nothing this whole Olympic series.

I guess that whole "leading Spain back to beat China in overtime" thing doesn't count since he only scored one point. Forget the fact that, oh I don't know, Spain would be 2-2 without his contributions there.

concrete wrote:Not only that it sucks that his comparision has been Pistol Pete Maravich.

We didn't come up with it - people in Spain saw the similarities years ago not only in his look, but in his style of play, swagger and energy. All of those things are kind of important. Just because he's a foreigner doesn't mean his upside can't be compared to an All-Time American great. While saying Ricky Rubio is the next Juan Antonio Corbalan would be a compliment to him, it'd probably be a very empty-sounding one to anyone outside of Spain.

concrete wrote:Chris Paul made a few dumb passes and we can say Rubio caused them (even though he was doubled teamed) but Paul carved him up the rest of the night.

Judging a player by his defense when the Spanish team played zone for roughly 3/4 of the game doesn't really do your argument justice. Again, if Paul drove around Rubio's zone, it was somebody else's problem to stop him...and Paul was (as we always is) tough to stop.

Right now, Rubio may only be able to hang with, but not "dominate," top-tier guards like Paul and Deron Williams. Here are the starting PGs I would take over him, right now, at age 17 - still 2 years away from being drafted despite playing professionally for 3 years now and seeing significant time in the Olympic games:
Andre Miller, Devin Harris (barely), Jose Calderon, Gilbert Arenas, Kirk Hinrich (barely), Chauncey Billups, Tony Parker, Chris Paul, Jason Kidd, Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Baron Davis and Derek Fisher. That's 13, meaning I'd take him over 17 others right now.

In two years? Cross Miller, Harris, Calderon, Hinrich, Billups, Kidd, Nash and Fisher off that list. That's 5 I would take over him - and those five are Arenas/Parker/Paul/Williams/Davis. Not bad company, right?

Face it: he won't be able to prove what he can do until he comes over here and does it. But by playing in the Beijing games, taking over as the star for DKV next year when Rudy Fernandez leaves, and facing some of the toughest non-NBA competition in Euroleague play for the next two years, he is going to improve...and I firmly believe he'll improve enough to join the upper echelon of PGs in the league by the next World Championships.

Rubio certainly doesn't stink - far from it - but I think you're overhyping him in this post. I think you really need to look at the big picture. Rubio is still just a 17 year-old Euroleague PG and has no NBA experience. Now, maybe in Spain his achievements are big news and worthy of praise, but it's not an indication of how well he'll do in the NBA. The NBA rules, refs, and style of play are totally different than the Euroleague. Just ask ex-NBA scrubs like Jasikevicius and V-Span. Rubio's definitely not as good as players like Nash, Williams, or Paul right now, not even close. Maybe in FIBA tournaments he can play with them for 20 minutes, but in the NBA the best PGs would school him. I'd put money on it. In the next 5 years, things could change; however, right now he's not at their level.
monks
Ballboy

Post#7 » by monks » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:43 pm

That's the point of my final two paragraphs: Even though, as you say, he's got no NBA experience and he's only 17, he still is regarded as a top NBA prospect in Europe. Jerry Colangelo noticed it too. He plays a much different style than V-Span and Sarunas Jasikevicius - one that is a bit more conducive to the current NBA style of play: fast break, athletic wing players, a parity of skilled big men - all of which seem to suit him a little better when adapting to the league.

Also, as I said, he's nowhere near a finished product, and he shouldn't be. He's 17 and I still wouldn't take him over half of the point guards in the NBA because he IS unproven. But the guys I'd take him over, like Mike Conley, Sebastian Telfair and whoever Miami decides to start? They're in the same boat, because high school ball in Telfair's case and NCAA-style aren't exactly direct transitions to the NBA, either.

I agree he can't hold a candle to the best in the world right now, but you only get better by playing better competition. In a few years, some team WILL use a high-end lottery pick to select him, and that will be his truest test when he has to step on the court with Paul/Williams/Rose/etc. for 35, 40 minutes at a time.

Until then, I just hope people can agree he's not supposed to be the second coming of the late Drazen Petrovic or something. One scouting report simply said he was a best Euro prospect since Drazen, and that turned into everyone thinking he should some kind of 20ppg, 10apg guy...he won't do that in the NBA ever, or even in Europe next year. But could he lead a team to a great record, continually make strong decisions on the court to benefit the players around him, and play an exciting, well-executed style of basketball anywhere in the world? Yes. And that should be what matters.
Jase
RealGM
And1: 158

Post#8 » by Jase » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:46 pm

Concrete, does your lady have a crush on this guy or something? You seem to have quite the personal issue. It's not "Ricky Rubio has raw, unpolished skills" or "Rubio needs to improve in many, many aspects," it's that he plain out "sucks."

Are you really going to fault the guy for not being a stud in every aspect of the game at this point in his career? How many guys his age, or from Europe, for that matter, are fantastic shooters who play intimidating defense and win over fans with their athleticism?
"A winner listens. A loser just waits until it's their turn to talk."
The_Answer
Rookie
And1: 40

Post#9 » by The_Answer » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:33 am

This guy would absolutely tear up the NCAA if he was in right now. Anyone with a brain can see that he's gonna be a stud. Also, not a good on-ball defender? What?! Have you really watched him play?

He's also one of the best passing lane defenders I've seen in some time, and he's 17!
penzias
Senior

Post#10 » by penzias » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:04 am

monks wrote:One scouting report simply said he was a best Euro prospect since Drazen, and that turned into everyone thinking he should some kind of 20ppg, 10apg guy...he won't do that in the NBA ever, or even in Europe next year.

Not so sure about that. Of course i dont think he'll score 20 ppg, it's very unusual someone reach that avg in Euroleague, but without Rudy Fernandez he'll be the leader of his team and could put up some amazing stats as being euroleague leader in assists and steals and among top scorers.
salaner
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by salaner » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:47 pm

Ricky Rubio "sucks"... but he's just led Spain into the final. Let's see if this time he is overwhelmed and ridiculed by the big-name, much older NBA guards.
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,553

Post#12 » by BarbaGrizz » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:35 pm

He shut down Sarunas in today game...

C´mom...NBA>Euroleague>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NCAA...if Rubio was in the NCAA, he would be a lock for the #1 pick already this year
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
Luusizz
Senior

Post#13 » by Luusizz » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:05 am

Did you watch the gold medal game? Rubio looked decent, especially for his age.
Unstoppable, baby!
swatsurfer
Junior

Post#14 » by swatsurfer » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:11 am

He has played a GOOD gold medal game being only 17 and had two more nice games against Germany and China, I have been reading ESPN and the scouts are considering him NOW the top pick for 2010 draft instead of top 5.
Did you see the amazing play he made in the finals?, and he played really good defense untill he was tired.
concrete
Banned User

Post#15 » by concrete » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:53 pm

Ricky Rubio "sucks"... but he's just led Spain into the final. Let's see if this time he is overwhelmed and ridiculed by the big-name, much older NBA guards.

oh he LED Span to the finals? LOL, I don't constitute coming of the bench and being the worse option on the floor LEADING a team to the finals.

if Rubio was in the NCAA, he would be a lock for the #1 pick already this year

no he would be exposed and would have fallen into the mid 1st round. Almost all hyped euro-players who decide to go to college end up dropping in the draft or going back to Europe because they get exposed.

It's not "Ricky Rubio has raw, unpolished skills" or "Rubio needs to improve in many, many aspects," it's that he plain out "sucks."

I obviously stated he had some skills but the "sucks" part is extreme because what I read about him is Pete Maravich...PISTOL "Freakin" PETE Paravich. The guy who scored over 40PPG during college...we are comparing this guy to him? He was missing layups and getting his shot pinned against the backboard anytime he played the US. Obviously why extreme deserved another , which totaled together brings the rating somewhere in the middle.

because high school ball in Telfair's case and NCAA-style aren't exactly direct transitions to the NBA, either.

Telfair is another overhyped NY prodigy who as of yet hasn't lived up to his billing. Ricky Rubio will be next in line (if Derick Rose doesn't beat him)

Also, not a good on-ball defender? What?! Have you really watched him play?

He plays the passing lanes!! That is not good on-the ball defense. If his man is in motion he lets them get by every single time. Now it's hard to keep Deron and Chris Paul in front of anyone but on the end of the spectrum he gets lauded for the work on the Chinese guards...who???? exactly...no named chinese guards! I could steal the ball from China's guards! He probably has a 7footers wingspan he should be deflecting balls!

The guy has what it takes to be in the NBA no doubt but i don't see him being a star...he will hopefully be sent humbly back to Spain like the rest of the Spanish guards who didn't make it.
concrete
Banned User

Post#16 » by concrete » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:59 pm

Luusizz wrote:Did you watch the gold medal game? Rubio looked decent, especially for his age.

i don't know, i haven't seen 17 year olds being allowed to play in the olympics. However, comparing him to college seniors (back before dream team) and Lebron James 4 years ago, I don't see that he played that great when stacked against other young players.

and i did watch the game and double R did nothing. I saw a couple steals, couple bad passes, and some poor shooting. I guess if you look at the boxscore he did have 6 rebounds....is he a pg or a sf?
aroba
Senior
And1: 43

Post#17 » by aroba » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:05 pm

He's the youngest olympic basketball medallist EVER, and having a revelant role on his team. Nough said :roll:
concrete
Banned User

Post#18 » by concrete » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:12 am

and that makes him great!? cuz he was put on the team? lol

Cmon, he's an okay spanish league player. I'll admit Spain has some decent guards on the squad compared to other international leagues but looked what happened to the ones that came over. Garbagoso and the rest of the latin friend did nada, they sucked in the league. I predict the same for Ricky Rubio. People are just so happy to see some non-black guy with skills because he can be marketed internationally. So they are praying that he develops into a star...I think he's close to his peak and won't develop into this star. He can't shoot and does not have athletic ability...maybe he's a Mark Jackson type but definitely not Pete Maravich.
magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,400

Post#19 » by magee » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:55 am

^Dude, you're entitled to your opinion, but just wait.
salaner
Pro Prospect

Post#20 » by salaner » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:32 pm

Amazing contributions, concrete. You really know basketball. Or was it softball?

Return to International Basketball