Great for Bourousis, well deserved.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
KWSN-Men
Banned User
And1: 13

Re: All-Euroleague Team Announced 

Post#3 » by KWSN-Men » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:39 pm

AdamTheGreek wrote:Great for Bourousis, well deserved.

Absolutely. IMO he's right there with Mcintyre for the MVP award. I really can't argue with any of the selections, they all definitely deserved it.
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Re: 2008-09 All-Euroleague Team Announced 

Post#4 » by Joana » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:02 pm

Ersan Ilyasova was snubbed. I could understand if he got snubbed for the U-22 award (although he should have won it) or for the All-Euroleague team spot. But both of them? Horrid decision, he was deserving some kind of accolade - even the DPOY award.

I don't have many major disagreements, but the voters put too much emphasis on the playoff performances. I mean, Siskauskas is surely a top-10 player in the Euroleague. But he only played at his level in a handful of games (albeit stepping up when his team needed him, especially in Belgrade). Him, Papaloukas and Spanoulis were out of my choices; Becirovic, Ilyasova and Halperin were in.

Also, Diamantidis winning the DPOY award again is kind of weird. Most coaches just vote on him by default now. Sato, Lasme, Stonerook, Splitter, Holden... so many good options. It's not like it's completely undeserved, but give other guys a chance...
oshmeehan
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#5 » by oshmeehan » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:30 am

Joana wrote:Ersan Ilyasova was snubbed. I could understand if he got snubbed for the U-22 award (although he should have won it) or for the All-Euroleague team spot. But both of them? Horrid decision, he was deserving some kind of accolade - even the DPOY award.

I don't have many major disagreements, but the voters put too much emphasis on the playoff performances. I mean, Siskauskas is surely a top-10 player in the Euroleague. But he only played at his level in a handful of games (albeit stepping up when his team needed him, especially in Belgrade). Him, Papaloukas and Spanoulis were out of my choices; Becirovic, Ilyasova and Halperin were in.

Also, Diamantidis winning the DPOY award again is kind of weird. Most coaches just vote on him by default now. Sato, Lasme, Stonerook, Splitter, Holden... so many good options. It's not like it's completely undeserved, but give other guys a chance...

I agree with you 100000000% about Ersan. He had better overall numbers than Velickovic did. Ersan was on a better team as well where he isn't even the #1 option. For christ's sake Ersan LEAD the Euroleague in rebounds per game throughout the Euroleague season and playoffs!!! I still can't fathom how Ersan didn't win the U-22 Rising Star Award

And of course to top it off he gets a raw deal on the All-Euroleague teams. He should be 2nd Team All-Euroleague. EVERY Final 4 team except for Barcelona (whom had the best overall record in the Euroleague this season) has 2 players on the All-Euroleague teams.
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#6 » by KWSN-Men » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:30 am

Joana wrote:Ersan Ilyasova was snubbed. I could understand if he got snubbed for the U-22 award (although he should have won it) or for the All-Euroleague team spot. But both of them? Horrid decision, he was deserving some kind of accolade - even the DPOY award.

Siska, Papaloukas, and Spanoulis have to be on there. They are the best players on final four teams. How can they not be on there? But I totally agree about the Defensive Player of the Year Award and the Rising Star Award. Ilyasova definitely should have won the Rising Star. I almost wonder if the voters didn't believe all those rumors about his fake birth date. But then again last year that same award was a BS vote as well.

Diamantidis is a very good defender and everyone knows that. He is one of the best in the Euroleague defensively. However, there is no way he should have won the award last year or this year. The award has basically become a joke. No way was he the best defender last year or this year and yet he won it. Like I said, he's a good player but he's so freaking overrated it's just unreal.

As for Becirovic and Halperin.........sorry I can't agree at all. Becirovic had a great regular season and did NOTHING after that. His team also didn't even make the playoffs, and he may be great on offense but he's one of the worst there is on defense. Halperin is the most non clutch player I've ever seen with his ability. Dude completely disappears when it matters. He's a complete choke job. Those guys don't deserve to be anywhere near the All Euroleague teams this year.
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#7 » by KWSN-Men » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:39 am

oshmeehan wrote:

I agree with you 100000000% about Ersan. He had better overall numbers than Velickovic did. Ersan was on a better team as well where he isn't even the #1 option. For christ's sake Ersan LEAD the Euroleague in rebounds per game throughout the Euroleague season and playoffs!!! I still can't fathom how Ersan didn't win the U-22 Rising Star Award

And of course to top it off he gets a raw deal on the All-Euroleague teams. He should be 2nd Team All-Euroleague. EVERY Final 4 team except for Barcelona (whom had the best overall record in the Euroleague this season) has 2 players on the All-Euroleague teams.

Only thing I can think of is that the voters don't believe his birth date. Last year the same award was a joke also IMO. Pekovic got totally robbed last year when Galinari got it and it was also completely ridiculous. Same thing this year with Ilyasova getting robbed.

As for Ilyasova making the All Euroleague teams though...........I can't agree. Who should he make it over? Pekovic? Bourousis? Lorbek? No, those guys all deserved it more. I think the only one that is debatable is Splitter. But still Splitter had a better year and even though his team lost to Ilyasova's team, it's still really Splitter that had a better year. But Ersan was completely robbed on the Rising Star Award. Not that Velickovic didn't have a great year because he did, but not as good as Ersan. Like I said just like last year Pekovic was robbed when Galinari got it.

The worst though is the DPOY award...........you have got to be kidding me.
oshmeehan
Banned User

Post#8 » by oshmeehan » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:07 am

talkbasket wrote:
oshmeehan wrote:

Only thing I can think of is that the voters don't believe his birth date. Last year the same award was a joke also IMO. Pekovic got totally robbed last year when Galinari got it and it was also completely ridiculous. Same thing this year with Ilyasova getting robbed.

As for Ilyasova making the All Euroleague teams though...........I can't agree. Who should he make it over? Pekovic? Bourousis? Lorbek? No, those guys all deserved it more. I think the only one that is debatable is Splitter. But still Splitter had a better year and even though his team lost to Ilyasova's team, it's still really Splitter that had a better year. But Ersan was completely robbed on the Rising Star Award. Not that Velickovic didn't have a great year because he did, but not as good as Ersan. Like I said just like last year Pekovic was robbed when Galinari got it.

The worst though is the DPOY award...........you have got to be kidding me.

Yeah I'm not really sure who he would replace out of the 4 big men. The 4 that made it and Ersan all have their areas in which they are better than anyone else in. One of the 5 guys had to be the odd man out, and it happened to be Ersan. Haha I guess to bad that they don't have 3 All-Euroleague teams like the NBA has 3 All-NBA teams. Though it wouldnt surprise me if all 3 of Batiste, Reyes, and Eliyahu beat him out for that! I just think that since Barca had the best overall record that they should have had 2 players on the All-Euroleague teams like the other 3 teams in the Final 4 did. An example is the Boston Celtics of last year. They were the best team in the NBA and Kevin Garnett was 1st Team All-NBA averaging 19 ppg and 9 rpg. Most years those numbers won't get you 1st Team All-NBA. You're either 2nd or 3rd Team. But Boston was the best team in the NBA so their players got rewarded with spots on the All-NBA Teams

IDK how much the age rumor of Ersan mattered if any. What I think is a joke as well is that Ersan and Llull TIED for 2nd place for the award. Llull had a good Top 16, but outside of that and the first few games of the regular season he did absolutely nothing. Certainly not deserving of tying for 2nd for the Rising Star
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#9 » by KWSN-Men » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:24 am

Llull tied with Ilyasova? You are joking right?
oshmeehan
Banned User

Post#10 » by oshmeehan » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:36 am

talkbasket wrote:Llull tied with Ilyasova? You are joking right?

Haha I wish I was!

In one of the closest votes ever, Regal FC Barcelona forward Ersan Ilyasova and Real Madrid point guard Sergio Llull tied for second place, right behind Velickovic. Further back in third place was his Partizan teammate, swingman Milenko Tepic. Fifth place was tied between Emir Preldzic of Fenerbahce and yet another Partizan youngster, forward Jan Vesely.
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#11 » by KWSN-Men » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:38 am

oshmeehan wrote:
talkbasket wrote:Llull tied with Ilyasova? You are joking right?

Haha I wish I was!

In one of the closest votes ever, Regal FC Barcelona forward Ersan Ilyasova and Real Madrid point guard Sergio Llull tied for second place, right behind Velickovic. Further back in third place was his Partizan teammate, swingman Milenko Tepic. Fifth place was tied between Emir Preldzic of Fenerbahce and yet another Partizan youngster, forward Jan Vesely.

:lol: :roll:
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#12 » by Rasho Brezec » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:06 am

Great for Lorbek, I was surprised how well he did in his first season with CSKA.
Apollo64
Starter
And1: 724

Post#13 » by Apollo64 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:51 pm

Maybe he got snubbed for the Rising Star award, because he is not considered a prospect any more, but rather an established player, who has already played a year in the NBA, has a large contract and generally has been around for years.
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#14 » by KWSN-Men » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:45 pm

Apollo64 wrote:

Maybe he got snubbed for the Rising Star award, because he is not considered a prospect any more, but rather an established player, who has already played a year in the NBA, has a large contract and generally has been around for years.

I think it's because of the fact that all the rumors about his real age just like Yi.
Joana
Banned User

Post#15 » by Joana » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:45 pm

Apollo64 wrote:

Yeps, I think that's a good explanation. Many voters have the understanding that the award should go not to the best player u-22 but rather for the "revelation" player.
Joana
Banned User

Post#16 » by Joana » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:48 pm

talkbasket wrote:

Siska, Papaloukas, and Spanoulis have to be on there. They are the best players on final four teams. How can they not be on there? But I totally agree about the Defensive Player of the Year Award and the Rising Star Award. Ilyasova definitely should have won the Rising Star. I almost wonder if the voters didn't believe all those rumors about his fake birth date. But then again last year that same award was a BS vote as well.

Diamantidis is a very good defender and everyone knows that. He is one of the best in the Euroleague defensively. However, there is no way he should have won the award last year or this year. The award has basically become a joke. No way was he the best defender last year or this year and yet he won it. Like I said, he's a good player but he's so freaking overrated it's just unreal.

As for Becirovic and Halperin.........sorry I can't agree at all. Becirovic had a great regular season and did NOTHING after that. His team also didn't even make the playoffs, and he may be great on offense but he's one of the worst there is on defense. Halperin is the most non clutch player I've ever seen with his ability. Dude completely disappears when it matters. He's a complete choke job. Those guys don't deserve to be anywhere near the All Euroleague teams this year.

Well, I disagree with some things you wrote but those are details: I can see your point and most voters have the same reasoning. However, I personally think the regular season is becoming grossly undervalued. Becirovic was great in the group stage (like Vujcic, for example); just like Diamantidis was better than Spanoulis and Halperin than Papaloukas. I understand you have to put more weight in the playoff, but I don't think it has to be this much.
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#17 » by KWSN-Men » Sat May 2, 2009 9:35 pm

First and Second Teams and Navarro is MVP. Navarro MVP............ :lol:

http://www.euroleague.net/final-four/be ... /2768/item
oshmeehan
Banned User

Post#18 » by oshmeehan » Sun May 3, 2009 12:10 am

talkbasket wrote:First and Second Teams and Navarro is MVP. Navarro MVP............ :lol:

I'm a Barcelona fan and I even agree that its a joke Navarro won the MVP. Though it was also a joke Ersan wasn't the Rising Star. And apparently also a joke of an award for the Defensive Player. Seems like all the awards have been jokes
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#19 » by KWSN-Men » Sun May 3, 2009 2:42 am

oshmeehan wrote:
talkbasket wrote:First and Second Teams and Navarro is MVP. Navarro MVP............ :lol:

I'm a Barcelona fan and I even agree that its a joke Navarro won the MVP. Though it was also a joke Ersan wasn't the Rising Star. And apparently also a joke of an award for the Defensive Player. Seems like all the awards have been jokes

The Rising Star, Defensive Player of Year and MVP are just unbelievable this year. I wonder if Euroleague execs are actually just naming these guys for whatever marketing purpose and actually there was not even an actual vote.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#20 » by jman3134 » Thu May 21, 2009 7:46 am

I can vouch for McIntyre having a great year. Kudos to him for really being a jitterbug on the court and wreaking havoc on opposing team defenses.

Return to International Basketball