Spanish =/ Latino American

Moderator: THE J0KER

667Club
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Spanish =/ Latino American 

Post#1 » by 667Club » Sun May 31, 2009 5:36 pm

Ricky Rubio is spanish.

I'm tired of hearing about how he should go there or there because there is a big "hispanic" population (hear latino american population).

You don't seem to understand than spanish people have WAY more in common with other european especially French, Italians, Portuguese but also north and central european people than with any latino in the US.

Why would latinos care about Rubio ? Because he speaks Spanish ?
That's like saying that Kobe should play in New york because there is more italian speaking people. Rubio has as much in common with a mexican or a cuban immigrant as say a random british has with a jamaican immigrant.

Spain is in EUROPE not in central or south america.
sorokii
Junior
And1: 32

Re: Spanish =/ Latino American 

Post#2 » by sorokii » Sun May 31, 2009 7:59 pm

Yes and no. There are a lot of cultural similarities. A small example, in Spain we have dinner at around 10, maybe 11. In the rest of Europe its around 6-7. In South America is like in Spain. And like this, a lot of things.
da da da da daaaaaa...
KWSN-Men
Banned User
And1: 13

Post#3 » by KWSN-Men » Sun May 31, 2009 8:24 pm

Ricky Rubio is Spanish. He's white, he's European. Yes the average American unfortunately thinks that anyone that speaks Spanish is Mexican or whatever but I guess the US education system is just so poor that people don't know better.
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#4 » by big3_8_19_21 » Sun May 31, 2009 10:23 pm

KWSN-Men wrote:Ricky Rubio is Spanish. He's white, he's European. Yes the average American unfortunately thinks that anyone that speaks Spanish is Mexican or whatever but I guess the US education system is just so poor that people don't know better.

Wow. So people need to work on their vocabulary with distinguishing between the WORDS Hispanic/Spanish (OK, yes, that's something that needs to be fixed), but I have never met a person who can't tell the difference between someone from Spain and Mexico/South America. Without some kind of proof, what you are saying there is an unwarranted attack. There are valid complaints to be made about the US Education system, but this certainly isn't one of them. That's just unnecessary.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#5 » by KWSN-Men » Sun May 31, 2009 11:20 pm

big3_8_19_21 wrote:
KWSN-Men wrote:Ricky Rubio is Spanish. He's white, he's European. Yes the average American unfortunately thinks that anyone that speaks Spanish is Mexican or whatever but I guess the US education system is just so poor that people don't know better.

Wow. So people need to work on their vocabulary with distinguishing between the WORDS Hispanic/Spanish (OK, yes, that's something that needs to be fixed), but I have never met a person who can't tell the difference between someone from Spain and Mexico/South America. Without some kind of proof, what you are saying there is an unwarranted attack. There are valid complaints to be made about the US Education system, but this certainly isn't one of them. That's just unnecessary.

Just in these forums alone you have people that can't figure out that a Spanish person is not Hispanic or Latino.
big3_8_19_21
RealGM

Post#6 » by big3_8_19_21 » Mon Jun 1, 2009 12:42 am

What kind of reading comprehension do you have? Read my post Mr. "197 IQ" :lol:

Yeah, people are confusing the terms on this forum, but that is by no means proof that the "average American" thinks that anyone who speaks Spanish is "Mexican or whatever." Ask around, see how many people think Pau Gasol is "Mexican or whatever." I mean he's Spanish, so clearly the average American should think that he is "Mexican or whatever" as you so crudely put it.
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#7 » by KWSN-Men » Mon Jun 1, 2009 2:01 am

big3_8_19_21 wrote:What kind of reading comprehension do you have? Read my post Mr. "197 IQ" :lol:

Yeah, people are confusing the terms on this forum, but that is by no means proof that the "average American" thinks that anyone who speaks Spanish is "Mexican or whatever." Ask around, see how many people think Pau Gasol is "Mexican or whatever." I mean he's Spanish, so clearly the average American should think that he is "Mexican or whatever" as you so crudely put it.

9 out of 10 Americans think that way.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#8 » by Alfred » Mon Jun 1, 2009 7:01 am

KWSN-Men wrote:
big3_8_19_21 wrote:What kind of reading comprehension do you have? Read my post Mr. "197 IQ" :lol:

Actually, it's only 3.43 out of 12.17 Americans who think that way. That's if you allow Texas into the equasion. If you don't, it's more like 2.33 out of 15.229.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#9 » by Rasho Brezec » Mon Jun 1, 2009 8:30 am

Alfred wrote:
KWSN-Men wrote:

Actually, it's only 3.43 out of 12.17 Americans who think that way. That's if you allow Texas into the equasion. If you don't, it's more like 2.33 out of 15.229.

Are you seriously trying to argue with a guy whose IQ is 197? Seriously? You're going to lose this one.
Genjuro
Sixth Man
And1: 220

Post#10 » by Genjuro » Mon Jun 1, 2009 2:49 pm

KWSN-Men wrote:Just in these forums alone you have people that can't figure out that a Spanish person is not Hispanic or Latino.

Despite your 197 IQ, I'm afraid to tell you that Spanish people are indeed Hispanic.

Just because the 99% of hispanic people that lives in the USA are from Mexico, Central or South America, it doesn't mean that the term is only referred to them. Same stuff as a guy from Argentina being American (and not only those living or born in the USA).

Being said that, I don't think Rubio's nationality particularly encourages latinos from the USA. Despite the relative cultural similarities, I think they see Spain as a European country (first world, different class), and many probably blame Spanish people of looking them over their shoulders.
big3_8_19_21
RealGM

Post#11 » by big3_8_19_21 » Mon Jun 1, 2009 8:32 pm

KWSN-Men wrote:

Surely the irony of your retort does not escape you.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#12 » by john2jer » Mon Jun 1, 2009 8:59 pm

Not that wikipedia is the end all of all debates, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanic

Reading that tells me that Hispanic includes people from Spain. :-)

Mr. 197 must have carried the 9 a few too many times when adding up his IQ.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#13 » by KWSN-Men » Mon Jun 1, 2009 10:40 pm

john2jer wrote:Not that wikipedia is the end all of all debates, but...

It does NOT reference Spanish people. And the Wikipedia link you gave does NOT say that it does.
Genjuro
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by Genjuro » Mon Jun 1, 2009 10:51 pm

KWSN-Men wrote:It does NOT reference Spanish people. And the Wikipedia link you gave does NOT say that it does.

I'm Spanish, I should know something about the issue, right?

His·pan·ic (h-spnk)
adj.
1. Of or relating to Spain or Spanish-speaking Latin America.
2. Of or relating to a Spanish-speaking people or culture.
n.
1. A Spanish-speaking person.
2. A U.S. citizen or resident of Latin-American or Spanish descent.

It obviously includes Spanish people. It's not rocket science.
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#15 » by KWSN-Men » Mon Jun 1, 2009 10:59 pm

Genjuro wrote:
KWSN-Men wrote:It does NOT reference Spanish people. And the Wikipedia link you gave does NOT say that it does.

His·pan·ic (h-spnk)
adj.
n.

I don't think you understand this. The issue here is NOT some US fans calling him Hispanic due to speaking Spanish. It is them calling him Hispanic as a "race" and inferring that he is Mexican. It is quite shocking that you can't discern between those two.
Genjuro
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by Genjuro » Mon Jun 1, 2009 11:28 pm

KWSN-Men wrote:
Genjuro wrote:

His·pan·ic (h-spnk)
adj.
n.

I don't think you understand this. The issue here is NOT some US fans calling him Hispanic due to speaking Spanish. It is them calling him Hispanic as a "race" and inferring that he is Mexican. It is quite shocking that you can't discern between those two.

Hispanic is not any race, and it does include Spanish people. I'm sorry to embarrass you once again.

Even from my hispanic ass I can see the smoke of your 197 IQ working at full strength. It's scary.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#17 » by Alfred » Mon Jun 1, 2009 11:53 pm

KWSN-Men wrote:
Genjuro wrote:

His·pan·ic (h-spnk)
adj.
n.

The U.S. Office of Management and Budget currently defines "Hispanic or Latino" as "a person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race".
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#18 » by KWSN-Men » Tue Jun 2, 2009 1:02 am

I'm reporting this to other mods. Where I come from it is considered blatantly racist to call a Spanish person Hispanic.
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#19 » by KWSN-Men » Tue Jun 2, 2009 1:03 am

Genjuro wrote:Hispanic is not any race, and it does include Spanish people. I'm sorry to embarrass you once again.

Even from my hispanic ass I can see the smoke of your 197 IQ working at full strength. It's scary.

I am talking about others calling it a race. Sorry to embarrass you.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#20 » by john2jer » Tue Jun 2, 2009 1:16 am

KWSN-Men wrote:
john2jer wrote:Not that wikipedia is the end all of all debates, but...

It does NOT reference Spanish people. And the Wikipedia link you gave does NOT say that it does.

Actually it does. Learn to read English.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?

Return to International Basketball