How could Real Madrid sign Rubio?

Moderator: THE J0KER

Sheenmue
Junior
And1: 5

How could Real Madrid sign Rubio? 

Post#1 » by Sheenmue » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:00 am

There are rumours about Real Madrid trying to sign Rubio and a lot of people think there's no way a team pay that buyout to get Rubio 1 or 2 years. Well, I think this could be a way to do it:

- Get an agreement to reduce the buyout to 4 millions euros. Since his buyout until 30th June is 4.7 millions I don't think it would be that hard.
- Pay Rubio 250.000 dollars per season. If Joventut will pay him 125.000 € next season he gets an improvement.
- Set his buyout to 2.250.000 € after first season and 500.000 dollars after the second.

At the end of the day you are paying Rubio 2 millions euros per season -his salary will be paid with the 500.000 dollars the NBA team can pay as part of the buyout- which is a reasonably quantity for a team like Real Madrid.

Rubio avoids playing for Joventut this season -most of Joventut fans have critiziced him after he filed a lawsuit against the club and Villacampa said he didn't know how a player could continue in the club after something like that- and gets the option to play Euroleague.

Finally, Joventut gets more money than they would get if Rubio goes to the NBA -it's suppossed Rubio wanted to reduce the buyout to a quantity around 3 millions-, and most of his fans don't like the guy anymore -maybe I am wrong in this?-.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Re: How could Real Madrid sign Rubio? 

Post#2 » by BadWolf » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:57 pm

well, they could just trade him with his current contract to Real. For money or players.
KWSN-Men
Banned User
And1: 13

Post#3 » by KWSN-Men » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:36 pm

BadWolf wrote:well, they could just trade him with his current contract to Real. For money or players.

No trades in Europe.
Alyosha12
Analyst
And1: 178

Post#4 » by Alyosha12 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:13 pm

KWSN-Men wrote:
BadWolf wrote:well, they could just trade him with his current contract to Real. For money or players.

No trades in Europe.

Yes they are, if the clubs decide to they could just write up a contract no problem.

Its not common practice though. 2 years ago i think, two Russian teams did it i just can't remember which ones.
Sheenmue
Junior

Post#5 » by Sheenmue » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:28 pm

Mmm? Let's see, in Europe you can make whatever you want, trades involving players, money, both... The problem is that the players must accept the trade and sign a new contract, you cannot trade the current contract -although the new one could be equal-.
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#6 » by Joana » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:17 pm

1. Joventut fans would rather see Rubio leave to the NBA for €3 million than for Real for €4 million.

2. I doubt Rubio would accept to play the next 2 years for 250.000 dollars (especially if you mean salary before taxes), just to have the chance of leaving in 2 years for 500.000 dollars. People often forget that DKV won't risk to lose Rubio for nothing in 2 years...

3. Spending €4 millions to have Rubio for 2 years is an awful lot even for a club like Real Madrid. This isn't football.
Sheenmue
Junior

Post#7 » by Sheenmue » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:08 am

Joana wrote:1. Joventut fans would rather see Rubio leave to the NBA for €3 million than for Real for €4 million.

2. I doubt Rubio would accept to play the next 2 years for 250.000 dollars (especially if you mean salary before taxes), just to have the chance of leaving in 2 years for 500.000 dollars. People often forget that DKV won't risk to lose Rubio for nothing in 2 years...

3. Spending €4 millions to have Rubio for 2 years is an awful lot even for a club like Real Madrid. This isn't football.

1. Joventut needs money and fans would understand selling the player to Real Madrid. In fact, I'm sure a lot of fans would enjoy seeing how the guy cannot play in the NBA. Anyway, you can ask Joventut fans, I have read enough these days.

2. If he stays with Joventut he receives less money and Joventut says next year his buyout would be 3 millions euros -a 50% discount-. Now he could go to the NBA after 1 season for 2.250.000 -not counting 500.000 dollars the NBA team pays, then it's 1.750.000 aprox.-. And you can also adjust those numbers and pay him 500.000 per year.

3. Are you european? 2 millions per season isn't that big for a team like Real Madrid -Real Madrid BASKET, yes- and Rubio is the ideal player for someone like Florentino, somebody who attracts media.
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#8 » by Joana » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:08 pm

1 - Yeah, they would understand. But for similar amounts, they'd rather see him in the NBA than playing for a rival. I guess that Rubio playing for Barça would be even worse, but that's it.

2 - The sooner he starts playing in the NBA, the sooner he'll get rid of the rookie scale. Plus, can Villacampa afford to keep Rubio and ask him for €3 millions in a year? What if Rubio says no at that point? And Joventut really needs the money.

3- Yes. 2 millions was 10% of their entire budget for last season. Of course they're spending more this season, but it'd still be a rental. And Maceiras and Messina are calling the shots, not Perez.

I mean, Real is in the market for a starting PG and they're considering Rubio (albeit not as their top choice), but while possible it's a very long shot.
Sheenmue
Junior

Post#9 » by Sheenmue » Wed Jul 1, 2009 10:46 am

Yes, asking 3 millions in a year doesn't sound real, but asking 4.7 this year was also ridiculous and Joventut didn't move an inch. And now Villacampa is saying that if Rubio continues with the lawsuit he won't play with Joventut next year, so if he doesn't go to the NBA this year -which actually I think it's impossible because the Knicks were probably the only option to pay the buyout with endorsements and with Kidd that option looks closed- the best fit would be playing for Real, playing for Joventut this year can be a hell for Rubio with most of the fans booing him in local games.

It seems Real Madrid is offering 3.5 millions now, and they need a PG. We'll see how this ends.
morol
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#10 » by morol » Thu Jul 2, 2009 10:06 am

Alyosha12 wrote:
KWSN-Men wrote:

No trades in Europe.

Yes they are, if the clubs decide to they could just write up a contract no problem.

Its not common practice though. 2 years ago i think, two Russian teams did it i just can't remember which ones.

Wrong. You're forgetting there's another party involved and that is a player. No matter how badly teams A and B want to trade him, he's a contract with one of them and may want that team to fulfill it. In NBA player (except for Kobe afair) cannot stop the trade. In Europe it is not a trade, just a mutual cancellation of contract with team A and signing with team B, not necessarily on the same terms.
Alyosha12
Analyst
And1: 178

Post#11 » by Alyosha12 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:50 pm

morol wrote:
Alyosha12 wrote:
KWSN-Men wrote:No trades in Europe.

Wrong. You're forgetting there's another party involved and that is a player. No matter how badly teams A and B want to trade him, he's a contract with one of them and may want that team to fulfill it. In NBA player (except for Kobe afair) cannot stop the trade. In Europe it is not a trade, just a mutual cancellation of contract with team A and signing with team B, not necessarily on the same terms.

The outcome is still the same, the money is the same so 99 out of 100 players would consent to a so cold euro trade if you will.

Sure they would need consent but they would get it 99 out of a 100 times, so we are truly arguing semantics.

Return to International Basketball