ImageImage

Welcome To Charlotte: Mark Williams

Moderators: fatlever, Diop, JDR720, BigSlam, yosemiteben

Hornet Mania
Head Coach
Posts: 7,334
And1: 6,323
Joined: Jul 05, 2014
Location: Dornbirn, Austria
     

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: Mark Williams 

Post#261 » by Hornet Mania » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:31 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
wilson115 wrote:But... how the **** do you play under 20 minutes putting up those numbers?

Image


"And then he said 'You have two promising young Centers, maybe it's time for Plumlee to step aside'. Of course, I ignored that schmuck.We're a top 4 team in the East when healthy for god's sake."
User avatar
JMAC3
Head Coach
Posts: 6,469
And1: 2,395
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: Mark Williams 

Post#262 » by JMAC3 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:49 pm

One thing that Jazz are doing with Kessler that is smart is they are not having him shoot 3s.

He shot 10/50 on threes in 34 games for Auburn. It was a sizeable portion of his offensive game that I thought he would rely on in NBA. They are keeping things pretty basic for him. He has attempted one shot outside of 10 feet all year.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
User avatar
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
Posts: 53,795
And1: 10,701
Joined: Jun 04, 2001
Location: Terrapin Station
     

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: Mark Williams 

Post#263 » by fatlever » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:27 pm

very telling that sengun scored 24 pts and 0 of it was vs mark. just goes to show the stark contrast defensively between mason/mark. and still, rainman closed the game w/ mark lol

no disrespect to mason, who has wildly outperformed expectations, but come on already.
User avatar
SWedd523
RealGM
Posts: 10,610
And1: 3,307
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: Mark Williams 

Post#264 » by SWedd523 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:39 pm

fatlever wrote:very telling that sengun scored 24 pts and 0 of it was vs mark. just goes to show the stark contrast defensively between mason/mark. and still, rainman closed the game w/ mark lol

no disrespect to mason, who has wildly outperformed expectations, but come on already.

I was wondering about that.

We have a lead and we're trying to run the clock out while needing stops.

So instead of the guy who has been absolutely wrecking them defensively AND shoots 74% from the stripe, let's put Mase back in......
Image
User avatar
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
Posts: 53,795
And1: 10,701
Joined: Jun 04, 2001
Location: Terrapin Station
     

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: Mark Williams 

Post#265 » by fatlever » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:19 am

SWedd523 wrote:
fatlever wrote:very telling that sengun scored 24 pts and 0 of it was vs mark. just goes to show the stark contrast defensively between mason/mark. and still, rainman closed the game w/ mark lol

no disrespect to mason, who has wildly outperformed expectations, but come on already.

I was wondering about that.

We have a lead and we're trying to run the clock out while needing stops.

So instead of the guy who has been absolutely wrecking them defensively AND shoots 74% from the stripe, let's put Mase back in......
It's **** like this that makes it real hard to take Cliff seriously. He has the most rigid rotations of any coach I've ever seen. He would lose game 7 of the finals before he changed his in game rotations to an obvious move.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM Forums mobile app
User avatar
76ciology
RealGM
Posts: 55,904
And1: 19,817
Joined: Jun 06, 2002
Contact:

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: Mark Williams 

Post#266 » by 76ciology » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:15 pm

JMAC3 wrote:One thing that Jazz are doing with Kessler that is smart is they are not having him shoot 3s.

He shot 10/50 on threes in 34 games for Auburn. It was a sizeable portion of his offensive game that I thought he would rely on in NBA. They are keeping things pretty basic for him. He has attempted one shot outside of 10 feet all year.


Jazz also running a scheme for Gobert where Kessler is perfect for it. Hornets is running a scheme for Plumlee/zeller where Mark is not the type of C for it.

Hornets needs to run dribble drive offense and funnel drives to Mark like how Jazz do it. Another similar scheme is how the Pacers do it
“If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine”.-Jim Barksdale

Truth fears no examination
MugzZo
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,644
And1: 778
Joined: Mar 21, 2017

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: Mark Williams 

Post#267 » by MugzZo » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:44 am

He been really impressive when given minutes. Freaking give him more. Plumlee being point center ain't it. Eventually nick should back up Williams and Mason should be traded.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
Posts: 53,795
And1: 10,701
Joined: Jun 04, 2001
Location: Terrapin Station
     

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: Mark Williams 

Post#268 » by fatlever » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:33 pm

defensive rating
mason = 118.7
mark = 105.5

def reb %
mason = 24.0
mark = 26.6

opp fg%
mason = 50.0
mark = 42.5

its hard to take cliff seriously when he talks about defense when he keeps playing mason 30+ mins a night because mason does all the shiny stuff like fancy passing, leading fast breaks, reverse dunks, left handed jumpers. at the end of the day, we are a far better team defensively with mark in the game.
User avatar
JMAC3
Head Coach
Posts: 6,469
And1: 2,395
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: Mark Williams 

Post#269 » by JMAC3 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:27 pm

fatlever wrote:defensive rating
mason = 118.7
mark = 105.5

def reb %
mason = 24.0
mark = 26.6

opp fg%
mason = 50.0
mark = 42.5

its hard to take cliff seriously when he talks about defense when he keeps playing mason 30+ mins a night because mason does all the shiny stuff like fancy passing, leading fast breaks, reverse dunks, left handed jumpers. at the end of the day, we are a far better team defensively with mark in the game.


The sample sizes are far too different to really have a strong takeaway.

Mark has played way less minutes, mostly against reserves.

Regardless if Plumlee is dealt or not we are going to see an uptick in Mark playing time post all-star break.

Excluding 4th quarter garbage time appearances. Mark has been in the rotation 11 games this year. LaMelo didn't start until game 21 and still won Rookie of the year.

Plenty of time for Mark to get his shine on this year.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
User avatar
JMAC3
Head Coach
Posts: 6,469
And1: 2,395
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: Mark Williams 

Post#270 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:31 pm

Mark to Duren comp so far. Duren averages are not much better than Mark considering he is playing 2x the minutes.

Mark is crushing him on per36 numbers
https://stathead.com/tiny/4qqRC
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
User avatar
KEMBAtheMETEOR
RealGM
Posts: 42,852
And1: 11,083
Joined: Feb 05, 2012
Location: 64000 inches high
     

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: Mark Williams 

Post#271 » by KEMBAtheMETEOR » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:20 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Mark to Duren comp so far. Duren averages are not much better than Mark considering he is playing 2x the minutes.

Mark is crushing him on per36 numbers
https://stathead.com/tiny/4qqRC

The comparisons are highly misleading as Duren plays a lot of minutes vs starting centers recently while Mark gets to destroy backups that are often times not even real centers.

But I'm nothing short of thrilled what Mark has shown so far. It's what you expect from a 7'2 guy with good hands, good mobility and coordination. I can't believe how lucky we are that either one of them fell to #13/#15, let alone had our choice of both.Thought for sure some combo of SAS/WAS/OKC were going to snatch those two up.
Tank for Victor Werbenjagermanjensen
User avatar
JMAC3
Head Coach
Posts: 6,469
And1: 2,395
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: Mark Williams 

Post#272 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:21 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Mark to Duren comp so far. Duren averages are not much better than Mark considering he is playing 2x the minutes.

Mark is crushing him on per36 numbers
https://stathead.com/tiny/4qqRC

The comparisons are highly misleading as Duren plays a lot of minutes vs starting centers recently while Mark gets to destroy backups that are often times not even real centers.

But I'm nothing short of thrilled what Mark has shown so far. It's what you expect from a 7'2 guy with good hands, good mobility and coordination. I can't believe how lucky we are that either one of them fell to #13/#15, let alone had our choice of both.Thought for sure some combo of SAS/WAS/OKC were going to snatch those two up.


Duren has played a lot vs backups as well. He has started 16/41 games.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 19,115
And1: 12,582
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: Mark Williams 

Post#273 » by yosemiteben » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:09 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Mark to Duren comp so far. Duren averages are not much better than Mark considering he is playing 2x the minutes.

Mark is crushing him on per36 numbers
https://stathead.com/tiny/4qqRC

The comparisons are highly misleading as Duren plays a lot of minutes vs starting centers recently while Mark gets to destroy backups that are often times not even real centers.

But I'm nothing short of thrilled what Mark has shown so far. It's what you expect from a 7'2 guy with good hands, good mobility and coordination. I can't believe how lucky we are that either one of them fell to #13/#15, let alone had our choice of both.Thought for sure some combo of SAS/WAS/OKC were going to snatch those two up.


Duren has played a lot vs backups as well. He has started 16/41 games.

Duren also just turned 19.
User avatar
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
Posts: 53,795
And1: 10,701
Joined: Jun 04, 2001
Location: Terrapin Station
     

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: Mark Williams 

Post#274 » by fatlever » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:31 pm

I saw that Duren recently had a game where he put up some monster stats. Then I realized it was a game where a total of 280 points were scored in the Pistons lost by 20.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM Forums mobile app
GA34
Sophomore
Posts: 214
And1: 140
Joined: Jun 13, 2014
 

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: Mark Williams 

Post#275 » by GA34 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:14 pm

fatlever wrote:I saw that Duren recently had a game where he put up some monster stats. Then I realized it was a game where a total of 280 points were scored in the Pistons lost by 20.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM Forums mobile app


isn’t this what the Hornets are doing with Plumlee instead.
MugzZo
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,644
And1: 778
Joined: Mar 21, 2017

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: Mark Williams 

Post#276 » by MugzZo » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:26 pm

Are we leaning mark over Richards yet? I think it can happen in a month or so. I also believe at some point next year mark will be our starting center. He shown some flashes and is 3 or 4 years younger than nick.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
Hornet Mania
Head Coach
Posts: 7,334
And1: 6,323
Joined: Jul 05, 2014
Location: Dornbirn, Austria
     

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: Mark Williams 

Post#277 » by Hornet Mania » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:13 pm

MugzZo wrote:Are we leaning mark over Richards yet? I think it can happen in a month or so. I also believe at some point next year mark will be our starting center. He shown some flashes and is 3 or 4 years younger than nick.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app


For this season (assuming Mitch can tear Plumlee from Cliff's loving embrace) I would start Nick and bring Mark off the bench, then reverse that starting next season.
User avatar
JMAC3
Head Coach
Posts: 6,469
And1: 2,395
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: Mark Williams 

Post#278 » by JMAC3 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:05 pm

There are 25 games post trade deadline this year, I would assume Mark starts at least 15 of those games if not all of them.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
MugzZo
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,644
And1: 778
Joined: Mar 21, 2017

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: Mark Williams 

Post#279 » by MugzZo » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:00 pm

JMAC3 wrote:There are 25 games post trade deadline this year, I would assume Mark starts at least 15 of those games if not all of them.
That's what I'm hoping for. He has no drop off. Given more minutes I think mark will produce.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
NCHeels2008
RealGM
Posts: 11,675
And1: 1,852
Joined: Aug 24, 2005

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: Mark Williams 

Post#280 » by NCHeels2008 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:17 am

fatlever wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:
fatlever wrote:very telling that sengun scored 24 pts and 0 of it was vs mark. just goes to show the stark contrast defensively between mason/mark. and still, rainman closed the game w/ mark lol

no disrespect to mason, who has wildly outperformed expectations, but come on already.

I was wondering about that.

We have a lead and we're trying to run the clock out while needing stops.

So instead of the guy who has been absolutely wrecking them defensively AND shoots 74% from the stripe, let's put Mase back in......
It's **** like this that makes it real hard to take Cliff seriously. He has the most rigid rotations of any coach I've ever seen. He would lose game 7 of the finals before he changed his in game rotations to an obvious move.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM Forums mobile app


lmao Draymond Green would still be backing up David Lee if he was the Warriors coach

Return to Charlotte Hornets