ImageImage

Gasol for what??!?!

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

_tijo_
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 335

Gasol for what??!?! 

Post#1 » by _tijo_ » Fri Feb 1, 2008 8:17 pm

Tell me we couldn't have put together a better package for Gasol than Kwame and Crit + 2 1sts. First of all, why would they want Crit? They have two young pg's already! (Conley, Lowry)

I can't believe the Lakers got this. Just like the Celtics this past summer. Is stern trying to recreate the NBA in the 80's?
GoBobcats
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#2 » by GoBobcats » Fri Feb 1, 2008 8:19 pm

crazy
SCBobcat
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#3 » by SCBobcat » Fri Feb 1, 2008 8:37 pm

That's a far cry from the Ben Gordon + Luol Deng they were demanding from Chicago.
CarolinaCash
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#4 » by CarolinaCash » Fri Feb 1, 2008 8:42 pm

We could have give them so much more....Okafor, May, Morrison, picks, etc.
_tijo_
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 335

Post#5 » by _tijo_ » Fri Feb 1, 2008 8:47 pm

Paydro70
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#6 » by Paydro70 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 1:47 am

Thought the same thing, Cash...

What a jack move, and it leaves the Lakers as an INCREDIBLE team. Fisher-Kobe-Odom-Gasol-Bynum, with Farmar, Walton, and Turiaf off the bench... ridiculous.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,853

Post#7 » by floppymoose » Sat Feb 2, 2008 1:54 am

WARRIORS BONED AGAIN. :banghead:
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#8 » by BigSlam » Sat Feb 2, 2008 1:58 am

Meh - I wouldn't want to give up too much for Gasol and I sure as heck wouldn't give up EO50 for him as a part of any package. The only way Gasol would work here would be playing next to EO50 - not instead of him.

I would have given up Nazzy, Ammo, Dude, Pigboy and ONE protected pick but that would be about it.

I don't like Gasol's deal at all (it would have crippled us) and he's injured way too often of late.
B B M F 'ers
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,853

Post#9 » by floppymoose » Sat Feb 2, 2008 2:06 am

I am irked by Gasol at a personal level, though I do give him credit for his professionalism on a floundering squad for the last two years. But despite not liking the guy much, I think he would have been awesome in the Warriors system. A faceup bigman who can shoot and pass? Nellie would wet himself.
doc.end
General Manager
And1: 191

Post#10 » by doc.end » Sat Feb 2, 2008 11:18 am

The Los Angeles Lakers have acquired forward Pau Gasol in a trade with the Memphis Grizzlies, it was announced today by General Manager Mitch Kupchak. The Lakers will also receive the Grizzlies second round draft choice in 2010. In exchange Memphis will receive forward Kwame Brown, guard Javaris Crittenton, guard Aaron McKie (who the Lakers signed earlier today), the draft rights to Marc Gasol and first round picks in 2008 and 2010.
Grizzlies got a little bit more. But still. It is surprising that Gasol brothers won't play together.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#11 » by chrbal » Sat Feb 2, 2008 5:58 pm

When I saw it pop on TV, I was shocked. Great move for the Lakers, what the hell is wrong with Memphis.

Jump on it now, offer Morrison for Mike Miller and one of the picks...come on.

Lets analyze;

Kwame Brown- bust. Has played a little better of late, but still. Him and Darko can bond.

Javaris Critteton- might be the best player in the league playing less then 8 minutes a game. Could/should make a nice pairing with Conley.

Aaron McKie- Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't he coaching somewhere this year? Not sure if I would give up any job to come out of practical retirement to join Memphis. Probably will be the head coach there some day.

Marc Gasol- so apparently they still wanted to have a Gasol on their team.

The draft picks are by far the best part of this deal. Just makes you wonder about Memphis.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,786

Post#12 » by fatlever » Sat Feb 2, 2008 6:21 pm

i think memphis plans to trot out marc gasol with pao's same number and hope the casual fans in memphis dont notice the difference.

it'd be like the bobcats trading ammo and then signing steve morrison in his place. :lol: he's got the same last name, he's wearing the same jersey, he's got the same hair....hmmmmm, but he seems a tad shorter. oh well, goooooooooooo morrison.
chrbal
RealGM

Post#13 » by chrbal » Sat Feb 2, 2008 6:31 pm

Next weeks news;
"The Grizzlies announce the signings of Reggie Jordan, Ervin Johnson, and Mark Bryant."
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 562

Post#14 » by Walt Cronkite » Sat Feb 2, 2008 6:43 pm

McKie was resigned just for the numbers to matchup a little better, LAL owned his bird rights, memphis is expected to waive him.

Anyone else read the thread on the GB about the Grizzlies waiving Kwame Brown, wherein he has to wait 30 days but can then rejoin the lakers... which of course would make the trade:

Gasol/Crittenton/2 picks in the late 1st for Pau Gasol
chrbal
RealGM

Post#15 » by chrbal » Sat Feb 2, 2008 6:51 pm

If the Lakers take Kwame back, they are fools. I honestly think that Memphis and Minnesota should get togeter and do some sort of Theo Ratliff for Kwame Brown trade.

It works as a straight up, except for the fact that Memphis would be taking on more money for a guy who would (most likely) never play for them. So you need another player, pick, team, or all of the above to make it happen.

Kwame would then get to play for a team as a rental that would basically be able to see if hes even worth bringing back.

Knick fans will probably offer the Grizzlies Jerome James or Malik Rose for Brown...but I still say the Wolves make the most sense.
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Walt Cronkite » Sat Feb 2, 2008 7:22 pm

Minnesota would probably do Ratliff + Green + Madsen for Brown and Cardinal. Cardinal and Madsen have deals that expire the same offseason, but Madsen is 3m less.

Conley/Lowry/Crittenton
Miller?/Navarro/Green/Crittenton/Gay
Gay/Green
Warrick/Madsen
Milicic

weak up front, but not much will change that this year anyway,right?

Don't really think Minnesota has enough faith in Kwame to take back money in the Cardinal/Madsen swap, but who knows what Kevin McHale thinks.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,312

Re: Gasol for what??!?! 

Post#17 » by HMFFL » Sat Feb 2, 2008 8:04 pm

_tijo_ wrote:Tell me we couldn't have put together a better package for Gasol than Kwame and Crit + 2 1sts. First of all, why would they want Crit? They have two young pg's already! (Conley, Lowry)

I can't believe the Lakers got this. Just like the Celtics this past summer. Is stern trying to recreate the NBA in the 80's?

Some of the Atlanta Hawk fans feel the same. I on the other hand I don't mind Atlanta passing on Pau and his contract. However, if Atlanta traded for him I would be perfectly fine with it.

Your Bobcats are similar to the Atlanta Hawks. You must keep your youth in tact and focus on grooming your youth. Pau's contract could also hold down your team from doing anything for the next few years.
Paydro70
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#18 » by Paydro70 » Sun Feb 3, 2008 12:36 am

We're pretty much at the cap anyway. How are we getting another star? The draft, or a deal like this. If we could have pulled it off without giving up Emeka, JRich, or Wallace, which it seems like we could, then we would be a dramatically better team, the kind that makes the playoffs easily.
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Walt Cronkite » Sun Feb 3, 2008 1:14 am

Hey Chrbal, I forgot that b/c of the trade restriction Kwame can't be traded with another player before the deadline(have to wait until 2 months after the trade). Anyway, I don't think Minnesota would package a pick for Kwame, maybe a 2nd, but if Minnesota thinks Memphis might cut him, they probably just wait and see.
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Walt Cronkite » Sun Feb 3, 2008 1:30 am

Paydro70 wrote:We're pretty much at the cap anyway. How are we getting another star? The draft, or a deal like this. If we could have pulled it off without giving up Emeka, JRich, or Wallace, which it seems like we could, then we would be a dramatically better team, the kind that makes the playoffs easily.

We couldn't have though, if we offered everyone that's expiring and a rook like Dudley we'd still need to get 5m together.

Return to Charlotte Hornets