ImageImage

Should we make a move for Shaq?

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

chabber
Veteran
And1: 827

Post#21 » by chabber » Wed Feb 6, 2008 5:42 pm

Same here man. I loved the Magic man when I was a younger and in turn loved the Lakers. When the Hornets came to town they fell to 2nd place but I've never stopped pulling for them.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,639

Post#22 » by amcoolio » Wed Feb 6, 2008 6:53 pm

I told you before the season, I am a smarter GM than Kerr. Remember Kerr's column on yahoo before taking the job? Kerr didn't know anything about the NBA outside of what was on ESPN.

There is no way you can sit there with a straight face and tell me that I can't be as good a GM as Kerr. Who decided you have to be a former player or "someone in the know" to get a GM job anyway? I am way more in the know that a few of the GM's in this league.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,722

Post#23 » by chrbal » Wed Feb 6, 2008 8:39 pm

Next big name available head coach, Mike D'antoni.

The Suns work on a run and gun system. Shaq is not a runner.

With this trade and the Laker/Grizzlie one, I almost wish the Bobcats had some expirings or whatever to work with...to see what kind of trade could be pulled off. Jason Kidd for filler? Jermaine O'neal? come on NBA GMs, BRING IT ON. NOTHING CAN SHOCK ME ANYMORE in terms of trades.
fluffernutter
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#24 » by fluffernutter » Wed Feb 6, 2008 9:32 pm

Aren't the Suns doing what everyone says a team should do? i.e. trying to win IT ALL vs staying consistently good (but not great)?

The Suns are not going to win a championship as currently constructed. They just can't. Rather, I'd put their odds at about 10%. History has shown their system does not work that well in the playoffs. They know it, we know it.

So they go for it, all at once. They hope Shaq can give them 50% of what he once had, particularly in the playoffs.

The chance Shaq can pull this off: I don't know. 33%? But if he does, their odds of winning it ALL suddenly improve. To perhaps 25%. Maybe more.

Isn't that the whole point?

YES the Suns might suck for the next 5 years because of this.

YES it's a risk.

But they now have an opportunity they didn't have before.

Shaq is one of the most dominant centers ever. It's worth seeing what he has left in the tank - when he knows he is playing for a title.

I salute the Suns.

Thank you for breaking up a very good basketball team, which was fun to watch, for an unknown quantity which might get you the title.

That takes guts.
SamBone
Lead Assistant
And1: 4

Post#25 » by SamBone » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:31 am

chabber wrote:The Suns just released Shaq's official uniform.

(picture)

I just found this on another site. I don't know if this is circulating on the gen board or not but I found it quite funny.

priceless.

Good stuff chabber
Paydro70
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#26 » by Paydro70 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:39 am

Their system can't beat the Spurs. But it can beat the Mavs, the Rockets, etc. with Stoudemire. If they don't match up against the Spurs, they can definitely win the title with the roster they had before the trade.

With Shaq? Maybe it can work, I guess... he has to A) not get into foul trouble, while B) improving the interior defense, while C) rebounding at least as well as Marion, and D) scoring easily when single-teamed, and E) make passes to the shooters when double-teamed.

I have a lot of confidence in him to manage C and E when properly motivated during the playoffs. But A and B are hopeless, and if D doesn't work, this team becomes really bad and the trade really stupid.

Return to Charlotte Hornets