ImageImage

If kemba leaves, whats the plan?

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,163

Re: If kemba leaves, whats the plan? 

Post#41 » by JMAC3 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:35 pm

Honestly Kemba leaving is probably best for the organization and for Kemba. We need to hardcore tank or this team will never be anything special. There is two ways to get a good team in NBA, the first is the draft. The second is have cap space in a big market.

Looking back to when Charlotte first became a team in 1988, here is how they built a team the city fell in love with and had success.

1988- (8) Rex Chapman
1989- (6) JR Reid
1990- (5) Kendall Gill
1991- (1) Larry Johnson
1992- (2) Alonzo Morning
1993- (17) Greg Graham
(20) Scott Burrell

The fans will be hesitant at first, but once we add some real top 5 talent the city will rally around the squad.

Time to let Kemba and Lamb walk, be a bottom 3 team next year. Trade our expiring contracts for bad contracts to collect future firsts.

Bring Chris Paul and his awful contract and a first back for Batum.

Bring Waiters and his bad deal + 1st for MKG.

Get Minny first and Wiggins for Biz/Marv expirings.

Those three firsts could all be in 10-20 range plus our top 5 picks the next three years and we could build a contender.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,653

Post#42 » by yosemiteben » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:59 pm

If this team does a PHI style tank I think fans will lose interest permanently and the team will be moved again.
bravor
Starter
And1: 737

Post#43 » by bravor » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:18 pm

If there is an example to follow its Atlanta. And they have yet to use their probably two lottery picks in next draft...

Knowing they have drafted a mix of BPA and complementary players, including some high profile role players and ofc one potential (super)star. They are still a long way to compete, but their young core is probably the most interesting in the league (quality/numbers/profiles). And they have done it pretty fast (basically in 3/4 years from the Millsap & co time).

I would be extactic to see a profile like Collins and a role player like Bembry here along with Kemba.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#44 » by JMAC3 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:04 pm

yosemiteben wrote:If this team does a PHI style tank I think fans will lose interest permanently and the team will be moved again.

As opposed to what? Continuing to be a 8th seed first round knock out or picking 9th in draft?

I think most of Charlotte is aware that Hornets are on the treadmill. Fans aren’t going to automatically start coming to more games if we resign Kemba and keep putting same mediocre product.

Just to give an example... do you think fans are more excited about getting knocked out of playoffs in the first round and paying Kemba 35 million this offseason or do you think they would be more excited to draft Zion or RJ Barrett?

Obviously it’s too late to get them this year, but there will be good players in the next few drafts too.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#45 » by JMAC3 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:05 pm

bravor wrote:If there is an example to follow its Atlanta. And they have yet to use their probably two lottery picks in next draft...

Knowing they have drafted a mix of BPA and complementary players, including some high profile role players and ofc one potential (super)star. They are still a long way to compete, but their young core is probably the most interesting in the league (quality/numbers/profiles). And they have done it pretty fast (basically in 3/4 years from the Millsap & co time).

I would be extactic to see a profile like Collins and a role player like Bembry here along with Kemba.

Hawks model sucks. They gave up a future 10 time allstar and potential MVP type of talent.

Big Board
bravor
Starter
And1: 737

Post#46 » by bravor » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:32 pm

Dallas got Doncic. Then they just got Porzingis. Then they have.. mmmh..?

Hawks already have T. Young, Collins, Bembry, Prince (decent trade piece), huerter and they have two lottery picks normally for next draft (and maybe some sec rounders).
Sorry, i d rather be in atlanta's position, especially in the East, than Dallas who gonna need a bunch of defensive minded players to fit with Porzingis and Doncic. Not saying its pure empty stats like K . Love, but man, Doncic is so overated, its just crazy.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,653

Post#47 » by yosemiteben » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:43 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:If this team does a PHI style tank I think fans will lose interest permanently and the team will be moved again.

As opposed to what? Continuing to be a 8th seed first round knock out or picking 9th in draft?

Tanking is not necessary to build a good team, and saying the only two options are doing what we've done in the past or tanking is not accurate.

We have consistently failed to maximize our draft assets, which plays a major role in landing us where we are today. That's only partially a commentary on our drafting history and not an endorsement of tanking, we have given away a lot of seconds and used a first in moves that predictably had no chance of a long term benefit to the franchise (either traded for older vets on expiring deals that we wouldn't be able to retain or just outright selling).
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,170

Post#48 » by Rich4114 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:41 am

yosemiteben wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

Tanking is not necessary to build a good team, and saying the only two options are doing what we've done in the past or tanking is not accurate.

We have consistently failed to maximize our draft assets, which plays a major role in landing us where we are today. That's only partially a commentary on our drafting history and not an endorsement of tanking, we have given away a lot of seconds and used a first in moves that predictably had no chance of a long term benefit to the franchise (either traded for older vets on expiring deals that we wouldn't be able to retain or just outright selling).

I mean, pretty much this. Then on top of that, we’ve locked in that mediocre talent for long term pretty expensive contracts plus one bohemeth terrible deal in Batum. We have had so many chances to land a second star but have failed at the draft. Then we could’ve had insurance and flexibility with draft capital assets but wanted Frank Kandinsky when if we didn’t do that, could’ve drafted a better player at that spot.

It’s a new regime, so hopefully this one works better. Because top 5 pick, top 10 pick, top 15 pick. You have to have a higher batting avg in the draft than we have regardless of spot picked to be a winner. No different than the Phoenix, Sacramento’s of the world.

Our only reliable path to success seems to be traded but those trades are always a risk especially
If you’re locking yourself into big contracts for more years.
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#49 » by Rich4114 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:42 am

I would like to see this team not commit to any contracts beyond Batums deal (Kemba aside) so we can set ourselves up for when Batum and Cody expire.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,171

Post#50 » by SWedd523 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:08 pm

Completely disagree
Splitta
Sophomore
And1: 174

Post#51 » by Splitta » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:19 pm

I really do not think we have to tank but Kemba must sign a team friendly deal and I am not sure that will happen. If so, we will have Biz, Marv, and Mkg expiring next year which will open up a lot of cap space and in 2 years CZ and Batum will expire. Lamb will expire this year but I do not see anyone willing to pay him that much as he is probably viewed as a bench player. May be able to keep him at a reasonable cost. This would mean next year will likely be bad but after that if we spend our money wisely and our young guys/draft picks work out we should be ok. However, that is a lot to ask for based on the usual bad Hornet decisions. Just my thoughts, but I believe Clifford pushed for a lot of those bad decisions particularly with the bad contracts and fortunately he is no longer here.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#52 » by LofJ » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:52 pm

I think a two year rebuild will suffice. And then when the cap is cleared in the summer of 2021 go out and sign good, young players to complement Monk, Bridges, and the guys we draft from now until then.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#53 » by JMAC3 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:56 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

I’m not pro tanking just to tank, but I feel like we are backed into a corner. We have failed to piece a competitive team together over the last 5 years. All while having our best player only making 12 million per year, and it’s not all on Batum. I think about it this way Batum makes 25, Kemba 12 so combined 37. Kemba should of been making 25 and Batum 12 on market value deals.

So now you’re going to pay Kemba 35 and Batum 25?

I’m just not excited to pay Kemba when we haven’t been able to win. Do you really want Kemba making Chris Paul money? Or Wall money?

Big Board
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#54 » by Rich4114 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:10 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:I’m just not excited to pay Kemba when we haven’t been able to win. Do you really want Kemba making Chris Paul money?

Not really, but there are two points here worth mentioning. One is that we cannot make decisions like how much to pay Kemba based on anything related to Nic Batum. That would just mean the Batum deal hurt us even more. Second, Kembas durability compared to both CP3 and Wall isn’t even comparable. He rarely misses a game. He’s also still young enough to where he’s likely able to play at a high level through the end of that deal or at least close to it.

It’s about time this team stays patient - whether they resign Kemba or not. It’s possible we could clear enough room to sign a big name FA after this off season. It’s also possible we are in play for a trade next year if a big time star becomes available as our bad contracts start to shift towards valuable expiring cap relief.

The big question is if Kemba and the team are willing to accept this for 1-2 more seasons. The plan could be to give each other that time and if it’s still not a situation where the Hornets can be a contending team in the east - find a trade partner for Kemba then.
JMAC3
General Manager

If kemba leaves, whats the plan? 

Post#55 » by JMAC3 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:35 pm

Rich4114 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:

Not really, but there are two points here worth mentioning. One is that we cannot make decisions like how much to pay Kemba based on anything related to Nic Batum. That would just mean the Batum deal hurt us even more. Second, Kembas durability compared to both CP3 and Wall isn’t even comparable. He rarely misses a game. He’s also still young enough to where he’s likely able to play at a high level through the end of that deal or at least close to it.

It’s about time this team stays patient - whether they resign Kemba or not. It’s possible we could clear enough room to sign a big name FA after this off season. It’s also possible we are in play for a trade next year if a big time star becomes available as our bad contracts start to shift towards valuable expiring cap relief.

The big question is if Kemba and the team are willing to accept this for 1-2 more seasons. The plan could be to give each other that time and if it’s still not a situation where the Hornets can be a contending team in the east - find a trade partner for Kemba then.

So just so everyone agrees Kemba is getting 5/190 or 38 annually if we resign him.

If he qualifies for Superman then it’s 5/221 or 44 annually.

I’m just trying to be a realist, people who are blindly hoping Kemba signs some team friendly deal for less are dreaming.

Even so No way we get him for less than 35 million annually and that would be a hometown discount. Are you okay giving him that much?

Big Board
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#56 » by Rich4114 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:10 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
Rich4114 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

So just so everyone agrees Kemba is getting 5/190 or 38 annually if we resign him.

If he qualifies for Superman then it’s 5/221 or 44 annually.

I’m just trying to be a realist, people who are blindly hoping Kemba signs some team friendly deal for less are dreaming.

Even so No way we get him for less than 35 million annually and that would be a hometown discount. Are you okay giving him that much?

That is where it gets complicated. Would another team be willing to pay Kemba $38m annually is the first question. I’m not 100% sure they would. It’s a gamble if we want to sign him and don’t offer that though. The second is, Kemba has to also know the financial situation we are in. We are screwed with him making $12m per so what will it look like when he’s making $26m MORE? If we give him that much money we literally cannot sign anyone else worth a damn until two seasons from now when our crap contracts start to fall off. Would he be willing to accept less for the ability to win? Could he do a Lebron type deal where he’s got two years but one with a player option? There’s a lot of scenarios. The team seems to have weighed them all and are willing to try and make something work with Kemba. I mean technically he did participate in courting Nic Batum to resign his deal. I wonder if that will go into his mindset when this all unfolds this summer.

It’s not a great situation obviously. And I can’t really figure out what they should do. I guess the answer is we should bite the bullet and pay him and hope the team figures out how to off load some of the $82m we are paying Biz, MKG, Marv, Cody and Nic
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#57 » by 316Hornets » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:29 pm

I'd offer Kemba the max just because it's the sort of thing that resonates among players looking to join here to show their stuff. If we try to lowball him after he played on a huge discount, every player is going to make note of that. I'm not happy about paying him the max, and if he is able to get the supermax, we may lose the franchise(because he's not worth near that), but you have to put up a good show because other players are watching.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
Buzzzz
Senior
And1: 552

Post#58 » by Buzzzz » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:27 pm

Kemba has carried this franchise while being one of the lowest paid guys on the team. He deserves to be paid the max just for that.
Splitta
Sophomore
And1: 174

Post#59 » by Splitta » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:56 pm

316Hornets wrote:I'd offer Kemba the max just because it's the sort of thing that resonates among players looking to join here to show their stuff. If we try to lowball him after he played on a huge discount, every player is going to make note of that. I'm not happy about paying him the max, and if he is able to get the supermax, we may lose the franchise(because he's not worth near that), but you have to put up a good show because other players are watching.

I have to disagree that other players will be bothered if we do not pay Kemba the max. They are going to be only looking out for their own best interest and if we make a competitive offer they will take it regardless of what Kemba is paid. It is what it is.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,524

Post#60 » by Bassman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:05 am

I think Barkley was correct, in that if we re-sign Kemba to his big contract, our MAX ceiling for the next 5 years is 8th seed.

I’m thrilled.

Actually I’m close to just waiting until I retire and then check on this team again to see if it still exists, or ever got it’s crap together and fielded a real contending team. Sorry to be a downer. It’s certainly not Kemba’s fault.

But...I’m a masochist with some things, and will keep hoping for a basketball miracle. For me that would be missing the playoffs but getting the #1 pick in this year’s draft. And keeping Kemba to pair with Zion.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.

Return to Charlotte Hornets