ImageImage

Golden: the Devonte Graham Thread

Moderators: fatlever, JDR720, BigSlam, yosemiteben, Diop

Hornet Mania
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,024
And1: 3,086
Joined: Jul 05, 2014
Location: Dornbirn, Austria
     

Re: Welcome to Charlotte : Devonte Graham 

Post#141 » by Hornet Mania » Fri May 24, 2019 11:35 am

If Kemba leaves I'm completely onboard with starting all the young guys. Devonte, Miles, Bacon, whoever the rookie is, we're only winning 20-25 games max without Kemba so might as well sort out who the future belongs to.

I think Graham could handle starting better than most actually, I wouldn't expect anything spectacular but I think he would not necessarily face plant. I see Graham's long-term potential as steady starter at best or high-end backup at worst.
User avatar
MasterIchiro
RealGM
Posts: 13,356
And1: 3,056
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
Location: Intertubes
       

Re: Welcome to Charlotte : Devonte Graham 

Post#142 » by MasterIchiro » Wed Nov 6, 2019 4:59 am

Congratulations on a career high, team high and Hornets record 35 points off the bench with a team high 6 assists.

Kupchak drafted you in the second round. In fact he traded UP to get you and said right away our scouts had you as a first round talent.

Averaging 17 points/game off the bench with close to 7 assists, you look like the frontrunner for Most Improved Player and Sixth Man of the Year.

As JB said he trusts you and so do your teammates. We the fans trust you. And I think JB is right. You've made a "significant jump".
It has been written...

Image
MugzZo
Pro Prospect
Posts: 990
And1: 427
Joined: Mar 21, 2017

Re: Welcome to Charlotte : Devonte Graham 

Post#143 » by MugzZo » Wed Nov 6, 2019 5:29 am

He had been nothing short of a revelation!
User avatar
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 32,238
And1: 24,555
Joined: Jul 09, 2013
     

Re: Welcome to Charlotte : Devonte Graham 

Post#144 » by JDR720 » Wed Nov 6, 2019 6:12 am

needs a thread title.

The GrahamFather: The Devonte Graham thread.

why? no idea just randomly thought of it
User avatar
-Ian-
Veteran
Posts: 2,784
And1: 577
Joined: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Philippines
Contact:
 

Re: Welcome to Charlotte : Devonte Graham 

Post#145 » by -Ian- » Wed Nov 6, 2019 6:32 am

"Tougher Than Woodpecker Lips" perhaps? :lol:
User avatar
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
Posts: 11,273
And1: 3,200
Joined: Jun 14, 2004
Location: Servant to lord Bargnani
   

Re: Welcome to Charlotte : Devonte Graham 

Post#146 » by amcoolio » Wed Nov 6, 2019 6:50 am

Gotta admit I was skeptical of his start, but he is getting more comfortable every game. Monta Ellis with more control. What we hoped Monk would be.
Image
euphorbus
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,810
And1: 424
Joined: Sep 28, 2015
 

Re: Welcome to Charlotte : Devonte Graham 

Post#147 » by euphorbus » Sat Nov 9, 2019 12:34 pm

Graham is listed as 6' 1". But it's hard to tell unless you have courtside seats. I just noticed against Boston that their guards and small forwards--Mr. Walker excepted--had no trouble shooting over him on the perimeter. Some defensive adjustments may be in order when Graham is on the court.
DY_nasty
Head Coach
Posts: 6,119
And1: 2,132
Joined: Apr 14, 2010

Re: Welcome to Charlotte : Devonte Graham 

Post#148 » by DY_nasty » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:52 pm

euphorbus wrote:Graham is listed as 6' 1". But it's hard to tell unless you have courtside seats. I just noticed against Boston that their guards and small forwards--Mr. Walker excepted--had no trouble shooting over him on the perimeter. Some defensive adjustments may be in order when Graham is on the court.

The two PG sets we have aren't gonna work.

Terry is an okay defender, but he'll get into foul trouble or just be a straight up destabilizing force on offense next to Graham. Its not worth playing them together imo
Vanderbilt_Grad
Analyst
Posts: 3,466
And1: 1,245
Joined: Sep 22, 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Welcome to Charlotte : Devonte Graham 

Post#149 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:06 am

DY_nasty wrote:
euphorbus wrote:Graham is listed as 6' 1". But it's hard to tell unless you have courtside seats. I just noticed against Boston that their guards and small forwards--Mr. Walker excepted--had no trouble shooting over him on the perimeter. Some defensive adjustments may be in order when Graham is on the court.

The two PG sets we have aren't gonna work.

Terry is an okay defender, but he'll get into foul trouble or just be a straight up destabilizing force on offense next to Graham. Its not worth playing them together imo

Disagree.

so far ... and that's a big qualifier ... some of the team's best lineups have featured them together.

My 2 cents is that Devonte / Kemba would have been horrible. Kemba is small and not a great defender. Devonte / Terry is much better since Terry can cover either PG or SG defensively.
Hope is free.
DY_nasty
Head Coach
Posts: 6,119
And1: 2,132
Joined: Apr 14, 2010

Re: Welcome to Charlotte : Devonte Graham 

Post#150 » by DY_nasty » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:13 am

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:
euphorbus wrote:Graham is listed as 6' 1". But it's hard to tell unless you have courtside seats. I just noticed against Boston that their guards and small forwards--Mr. Walker excepted--had no trouble shooting over him on the perimeter. Some defensive adjustments may be in order when Graham is on the court.

The two PG sets we have aren't gonna work.

Terry is an okay defender, but he'll get into foul trouble or just be a straight up destabilizing force on offense next to Graham. Its not worth playing them together imo

Disagree.

so far ... and that's a big qualifier ... some of the team's best lineups have featured them together.

My 2 cents is that Devonte / Kemba would have been horrible. Kemba is small and not a great defender. Devonte / Terry is much better since Terry can cover either PG or SG defensively.

Terry's defense is wild overrated imo. Brogdon just got done torching him and the motion that Boston was running basically brushed him off whenever they wanted.

Those lineups are going to look good compared to anything else because they are our only two guys who can create offense by themselves. Borrego is basically forced to play small due to our centers being the worst in the league - we generally don't have a choice but to play them both and go small because our team is expected to compete without the option of a consistent frontcourt action.

Its not a 'good' lineup. Its our most comfortable because the other options are abysmal
User avatar
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 32,238
And1: 24,555
Joined: Jul 09, 2013
     

Re: Welcome to Charlotte : Devonte Graham 

Post#151 » by JDR720 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:48 am

UNCNYC wrote:I have him finishing with a better career than just about all the top profiled pgs taken in this draft. I think overall we will love him here.

A - Josh Okogie
A - Anfernee Simons
A - Tony Carr
A - Jaylen Hands
A - Devonte Graham
A - Jalen Brunson
A - Trae Young
B - Collin Sexton
B - Aaron Holiday
B - Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

I'd like to point out that UNCNYC had Graham rated as an A
User avatar
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
Posts: 33,854
And1: 9,646
Joined: Dec 29, 2008
Location: Asheville, NC
   

Re: Welcome to Charlotte : Devonte Graham 

Post#152 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:03 am

JDR720 wrote:
UNCNYC wrote:I have him finishing with a better career than just about all the top profiled pgs taken in this draft. I think overall we will love him here.

A - Josh Okogie
A - Anfernee Simons
A - Tony Carr
A - Jaylen Hands
A - Devonte Graham
A - Jalen Brunson
A - Trae Young
B - Collin Sexton
B - Aaron Holiday
B - Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

I'd like to point out that UNCNYC had Graham rated as an A


Lol thats awesome
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
UNCNYC
Starter
Posts: 2,148
And1: 334
Joined: Jun 09, 2014
       

Re: Welcome to Charlotte : Devonte Graham 

Post#153 » by UNCNYC » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:46 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
JDR720 wrote:
UNCNYC wrote:I have him finishing with a better career than just about all the top profiled pgs taken in this draft. I think overall we will love him here.

A - Josh Okogie
A - Anfernee Simons
A - Tony Carr
A - Jaylen Hands
A - Devonte Graham
A - Jalen Brunson
A - Trae Young
B - Collin Sexton
B - Aaron Holiday
B - Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

I'd like to point out that UNCNYC had Graham rated as an A


Lol thats awesome


Lmao aww thanks guys you guys are awesomer than the people who still wear Bobcats jerseys to Hornets games and that my friends is PRICELESS :P :nod: :lol: <3
UPDATED - 7/3/2019 MY GM RESULTS

NAW / BJ Taylor / Will. McD. White
Zhairre / Reaves
Bacon / Obeisie / Pinson
YuTa / Frank / Cheatham
Cook / Biz

User avatar
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
Posts: 51,152
And1: 8,066
Joined: Jun 04, 2001
Location: Terrapin Station
     

Re: Welcome to Charlotte : Devonte Graham 

Post#154 » by fatlever » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:47 am

2 for 6 on the A grade. great for baseball.
User avatar
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
Posts: 33,854
And1: 9,646
Joined: Dec 29, 2008
Location: Asheville, NC
   

Re: Welcome to Charlotte : Devonte Graham 

Post#155 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:02 pm

fatlever wrote:2 for 6 on the A grade. great for baseball.


Anfernee Simons looks pretty good as well.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
UNCNYC
Starter
Posts: 2,148
And1: 334
Joined: Jun 09, 2014
       

Re: Welcome to Charlotte : Devonte Graham 

Post#156 » by UNCNYC » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:25 pm

fatlever wrote:2 for 6 on the A grade. great for baseball.


I still like Toni Carr but no way he gets a chance in New Orleans with all those guards
UPDATED - 7/3/2019 MY GM RESULTS

NAW / BJ Taylor / Will. McD. White
Zhairre / Reaves
Bacon / Obeisie / Pinson
YuTa / Frank / Cheatham
Cook / Biz

User avatar
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 32,238
And1: 24,555
Joined: Jul 09, 2013
     

Re: Welcome to Charlotte : Devonte Graham 

Post#157 » by JDR720 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:58 am

UNCNYC was right: The Devonte Graham thread
User avatar
316Hornets
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,178
And1: 2,132
Joined: Jun 26, 2015
Location: Milky Way
   

Re: Welcome to Charlotte : Devonte Graham 

Post#158 » by 316Hornets » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:30 pm

Maybe a meaningless stat, but Devonte Graham is ranked #12 in Total RAPTOR and #6 in WAR. He is pretty much identical to Lebron James in terms of impact.

Graham and Cody Martin are the only ones with a positive rating for the Hornets.


https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-nba-player-ratings/
LofJ
General Manager
Posts: 8,693
And1: 5,971
Joined: Mar 29, 2014
   

Re: Welcome to Charlotte : Devonte Graham 

Post#159 » by LofJ » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:47 am

Dropping Dimes and Grahams, the Devonte Graham thread.
Image
User avatar
MasterIchiro
RealGM
Posts: 13,356
And1: 3,056
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
Location: Intertubes
       

Re: Welcome to Charlotte : Devonte Graham 

Post#160 » by MasterIchiro » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:09 am

The Devonté Graham Parkway
It has been written...

Image

Return to Charlotte Hornets