Post#161 » by SWedd523 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:26 am

I haven't been here for weeks lol
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Re: Barely Legal: The Vernon Carey Jr Thread 

Post#162 » by BigSlam » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:30 pm

DY_nasty wrote:don't even care if he hits more than 3 FGs in a single night for the rest of the season or what he projects to be at all.

You don't really believe that - do you?

You'll sour on Vern just has hard as you have the Twins (who you previously very much supported) if he starts stinking it up like they have.
B B M F 'ers
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#163 » by DY_nasty » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:42 pm

BigSlam wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:don't even care if he hits more than 3 FGs in a single night for the rest of the season or what he projects to be at all.

You don't really believe that - do you?

You'll sour on Vern just has hard as you have the Twins (who you previously very much supported) if he starts stinking it up like they have.

why are you interpreting that statement as a hall of fame indictment? wtf

short version: i legit don't care if vern is horrible as long as he replaces biz. just like i didn't care if bacon was horrible as long as he got us away from batum playing.

long version: dude could be the black byron mullens and i'd be all for it as long as it leads to us ripping the bandaid of us playing guys that we know aren't going anywhere while at the same time holding us back for the sake of continuity.

but but but but what if people turn on him :lol: listen to yourselves lmao there isn't a single player in the history of this franchise that should trigger that kind of response. if lamelo turns into a liability that we can't tear ourselves away from then yeah he gets 'turned on' too. that isn't crazy. you guys clearly just aren't as mortified by biyombo/zeller situation we've entered this year with anymore. you've normalized arguably the worst center situation in the league.

yal really twisted up too because some of us still remember how bad the situation is and accept how other teams will hold open tryouts at a weak position during the season. better solutions than "i guess we'll just play with a liability every night" and rationalize the dysfunction by saying stuff like "but we ARE winning so things can't be that bad" as if we couldn't be winning more with obviously better players.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,754

Post#164 » by yosemiteben » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:38 pm

It definitely gets a bit tiring having it be a JB whiner line 24/7. I don't see any balance, it's just he's awful and I guess we've won and developed guys despite him.

I'm not like it needs to be roses all the time, but like...we get it.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#165 » by DY_nasty » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:40 pm

yosemiteben wrote:It definitely gets a bit tiring having it be a JB whiner line 24/7. I don't see any balance, it's just he's awful and I guess we've won and developed guys despite him.

you aren't even arguing anything here. there is no way you're this upset about a good game.

you say "JB doesn't show a preference for vets" - i turn around and say "JB literally gives Wanamaker - a career journeyman - a greenlight to shoot without even passing the ball first". sorry, but that's fair.

and 'whining'? no. that's you getting mad over a practical response for no reason other than someone reasonably disagreeing. its petty, obviously, but you're choosing to take disagreement personal. *and its across threads too.*

im expressing the same discontent that others have shared about the center situation since december and earlier. it comes up in all the game threads and the giant thread about the center situation on your front page. you need to sort out what you're upset about, stop worrying about JB's honor (im sure he'll be fine), and save the finger wagging.

because at the end of the day, a young C who has shown that he won't he set off a 10pt swing in the other direction which is the only real justification to be nailed to the bench considering our center situation SHOULD have been playing and taking lumps at the beginning of the season. not in the middle of april.

Spoiler:
wild how you guys come together for me of all people when ichiro straight up trolled people for years to get nothing but wrist slaps. the irony is not lost here lol
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,243

Post#166 » by SWedd523 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:51 pm

DY_nasty wrote:: dude could be the black byron mullens and i'd be all for it as long as it leads to us ripping the bandaid of us playing guys that we know aren't going anywhere while at the same time holding us back for the sake of continuity.

Shittttt playa that's all you had to say.

We're on the same path here, your earlier post just made it sound like you thought Vern was the answer, which is why I was like hold up.

But if you equate him to a band aid ripper (regardless of how he plays) then we can be friends again
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#167 » by yosemiteben » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:30 pm

So I guess we're doing this...

DY_nasty wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:It definitely gets a bit tiring having it be a JB whiner line 24/7. I don't see any balance, it's just he's awful and I guess we've won and developed guys despite him.

you aren't even arguing anything here. there is no way you're this upset about a good game.

My post was definitely a bit OT, wasn't about the C position or Vern specifically. Really had nothing to do with anything but me starting to want to check out of this board because I'm tired of the same old tired complaining about JB. It's getting monotonous and uninteresting. It feels like the same **** on repeat.

DY_nasty wrote:you say "JB doesn't show a preference for vets" - i turn around and say "JB literally gives Wanamaker - a career journeyman - a greenlight to shoot without even passing the ball first". sorry, but that's fair.

Like this is just such a lame argument. If you are having to resort to him playing Wanamaker for your argument that he favors vets, that's just trying too hard when we've seen how he's played young guys all this season and last season. I would think that the case of PJ being force fed C minutes would definitively disprove that narrative, but here we are. It's very obvious that the focus last season and this season has been development and not being laser focused on playoffs or playing vets. JB and Mitch both have been consistent on this.

DY_nasty wrote:and 'whining'? no. that's you getting mad over a practical response for no reason other than someone reasonably disagreeing. its petty, obviously, but you're choosing to take disagreement personal. *and its across threads too.*

You can disagree, it's not the viewpoint (although I don't always agree with that but that's cool), it's just redundant and boring to read. Feels like it's the same rinse and repeat **** regardless of what happens.

DY_nasty wrote:im expressing the same discontent that others have shared about the center situation since december and earlier. it comes up in all the game threads and the giant thread about the center situation on your front page. you need to sort out what you're upset about, stop worrying about JB's honor (im sure he'll be fine), and save the finger wagging.

I'm just trying to understand why to keep showing up around here if it's just the same narratives getting repeated over and over (whether accurate or not). It's just not fun or interesting.

Just my two cents.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,211

Post#168 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:38 pm

I like JB as a whole. Personally I feel he's done a top 3 to 4 job in the NBA this season. I get frustrated just like everyone else on here though and probably don't praise him when he's doing things right as opposed to when I disagree with him. I do the same for Graham. I think a lot of us as a whole could probably do better in that regard. But, it is what it is.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#169 » by BigSlam » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:41 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:I like JB as a whole. Personally I feel he's done a top 3 to 4 job in the NBA this season. I get frustrated just like everyone else on here though and probably don't praise him when he's doing things right as opposed to when I disagree with him. I do the same for Graham. I think a lot of us as a whole could probably do better in that regard. But, it is what it is.

As our resident Duke super fan LP: How would you compare the Vern that we saw the other night Vs the Vern that you saw at Duke?
B B M F 'ers
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#170 » by yosemiteben » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:47 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:I like JB as a whole. Personally I feel he's done a top 3 to 4 job in the NBA this season. I get frustrated just like everyone else on here though and probably don't praise him when he's doing things right as opposed to when I disagree with him. I do the same for Graham. I think a lot of us as a whole could probably do better in that regard. But, it is what it is.

Yeah I'm probably just venting too much. Like I see JB's warts too, I just think sometimes it gets tunnel vision, and when the team is super short handed anyway and games get tough to watch, I need some diversity of takes to stay interested.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#171 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:48 pm

BigSlam wrote:

As our resident Duke super fan LP: How would you compare the Vern that we saw the other night Vs the Vern that you saw at Duke?

He bullied people downlow at Duke. His mobility is twice as good now as it was then, and although he's still not a ground breaking athlete (and never will be) if he showed the same kind of mobility at Duke that he did the other night he probably goes top 20. He shot the 3 occasionally at Duke, but his stroke looked more smooth and not as forced as it did at Duke. He still looked a little confused the other night, but I was actually impressed he didn't foul out especially after picking up his 5th. His screens were solid, but at Duke (probably because he was 30 pounds heavier) his screens looked like they could kill someone. I've been high on him for a lot of reasons and not just because he went to Duke. There is a YouTube video of him vs Wiseman in HS where Carey played as well if not better than him. I think teams are just too fixated on the next guy who can block 3 shots a game or had a 44 inch vertical and measurements and not necessarily on guys who just flat out know how to play the game. Is he our answer at center? I don't know, but I'm stoked to find out.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#172 » by DY_nasty » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:51 pm

yosemiteben wrote:I'm just trying to understand why to keep showing up around here if it's just the same narratives getting repeated over and over (whether accurate or not). It's just not fun or interesting.

Just my two cents.

are you serious dude?

lol ight. gg mod
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#173 » by BigSlam » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:53 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
BigSlam wrote:

His screens were solid, but at Duke (probably because he was 30 pounds heavier) his screens looked like they could kill someone.

His screen setting stood out to me the other night. I thought he set really good, strong screens, got down low and wide and rolled off them super super quick.

I thought he had a rep for being a bit of a sloppy/weak screener. Glad to hear he wrecked dudes while at Duke with his screens.

Would still like to see him look to move the ball a little more and not look like a hungry Z-Bo out there.

I also really liked that block he had, using his full extension and timing rather than pogo jumping and spiking it 11 rows back.
B B M F 'ers
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#174 » by yosemiteben » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:55 pm

DY_nasty wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:I'm just trying to understand why to keep showing up around here if it's just the same narratives getting repeated over and over (whether accurate or not). It's just not fun or interesting.

Just my two cents.

are you serious dude?

lol ight. gg mod

Yes, I'm serious. Lately I've come here primarily as a mod and to get news, not because I expect interesting takes or discussion.

Maybe it's just me.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,238

Post#175 » by Rich4114 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:56 pm

I’m just here to make sure everyone knows I have not normalized arguably the worst center situation in the league even though it’s been that way since 2017
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,287

Post#176 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:58 pm

I'm happy to give ANYONE a chance at C if it means Biz is out of the rotation. Even if that is short term pain for long term gain (or even no gain). Biz is just clearly never going to be the answer to anything at NBA level and we are wasting our time and a roster spot by keeping him.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 1,008

Post#177 » by wilson115 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:47 am

Thought he did a good job getting himself in position to catch and finish. Just hope something clicks for him this year and he makes the rotation.

BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#178 » by BigSlam » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:32 am

I like him.

A lot.
B B M F 'ers
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,287

Post#179 » by luciano-davidwesley » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:45 am

He looks very comfortable in the pick and roll and likes to get his back to the basket. He's such a throwback. He doesn't play above the rim a lot but he just has good basketball instincts.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#180 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:26 am

I'm more than comfortable with him backing up Plumlee.

Return to Charlotte Hornets