Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

JustBuzzin
RealGM
And1: 8,986

Re: 2024 Draft Prospects 

Post#1761 » by JustBuzzin » Mon May 20, 2024 3:36 pm

KembaWalker wrote:
Goodecharlotte wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:I don’t care about what he or his agent want, if he’s bpa draft him with or without a workout. There’s plenty of PG opportunity on this team. Positions are barely even a thing anymore so it seems like a dumb thing to get worked up over.

Nah I'm good thanks, we don't need that ME mentality on this team we want team players who will run through brick walls for the organisation and build a new culture, not sulk because our all-star point guard (when fit) is playing there. Let him play in Washington and see how that suits him
Preach!

And then Washington quickly surpasses us because they are drafting bpa and were caught up in fit concerns.
Goodecharlotte
Sophomore
And1: 145

Post#1762 » by Goodecharlotte » Mon May 20, 2024 5:39 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:
Goodecharlotte wrote:Nah I'm good thanks, we don't need that ME mentality on this team we want team players who will run through brick walls for the organisation and build a new culture, not sulk because our all-star point guard (when fit) is playing there. Let him play in Washington and see how that suits him
Preach!

And then Washington quickly surpasses us because they are drafting bpa and were caught up in fit concerns.

I'm expecting this new coach & front office to be more prepared to take risks and creating a better culture, meaning everyone will be pulling in the same direction and not just out for themselves. Lamelo won't be giving up the point guard and be playing more off ball anytime soon. If Castle wants to play SG I'm ok with him but if it's purely PG he knows where the Wizards are. If I wanted a PG I would go Topic first anyway
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,680

Post#1763 » by GoBobs » Mon May 20, 2024 5:52 pm

Rich4114 wrote:Where's GoBobs at? I'm really warming up to Edey with the performance he's having at the combine. You can't deny that size and I'm really liking the idea of having a C rotation of Mark and Edey or having Edey as Mark insurance. We need to get bigger up front. We also need better on-ball defense on the perimeter. Hopefully we can add one or both of those things between free agency and the draft. Feels like the size up front is the harder to come by and we happen to have a top 6 pick in a draft with 3 bigs projected to go in the lottery.

If you look at what the T-Wolves are doing right now, it shows the value of bigs in physical playoff games. I started watching Edey last year when I was trying to decide if we should target Trace Jackson Davis with our 2nd rounder.

When you watch full games with Edey it's like the guy guarding him is running uphill the whole game. When you get the assignment of guarding a guy that is 7'5'' 300bl who likes physical contact, it is just a long day.

The fact that he also almost never fouls is a huge deal. To play that physical and not foul shows that he is playing under control.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,343

Post#1764 » by Rich4114 » Mon May 20, 2024 5:57 pm

GoBobs wrote:
Rich4114 wrote:Where's GoBobs at? I'm really warming up to Edey with the performance he's having at the combine. You can't deny that size and I'm really liking the idea of having a C rotation of Mark and Edey or having Edey as Mark insurance. We need to get bigger up front. We also need better on-ball defense on the perimeter. Hopefully we can add one or both of those things between free agency and the draft. Feels like the size up front is the harder to come by and we happen to have a top 6 pick in a draft with 3 bigs projected to go in the lottery.

If you look at what the T-Wolves are doing right now, it shows the value of bigs in physical playoff games. I started watching Edey last year when I was trying to decide if we should target Trace Jackson Davis with our 2nd rounder.

When you watch full games with Edey it's like the guy guarding him is running uphill the whole game. When you get the assignment of guarding a guy that is 7'5'' 300bl who likes physical contact, it is just a long day.

The fact that he also almost never fouls is a huge deal. To play that physical and not foul shows that he is playing under control.

He probably doesn’t foul much because he can just stand his ground and keep his arms straight up while still being effective. I’m really buying into Clingan or him in a draft like this. Far less questions when you come with that size and mobility.
JustBuzzin
RealGM

Post#1765 » by JustBuzzin » Mon May 20, 2024 6:00 pm

GoBobs wrote:

The thing with Edey is Melo likes to run. Not sure the offense would gel when your PG wants to run and your center likes to slow the pace down.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#1766 » by GoBobs » Mon May 20, 2024 9:02 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
GoBobs wrote:

The thing with Edey is Melo likes to run. Not sure the offense would gel when your PG wants to run and your center likes to slow the pace down.

Not every guy on your team needs to run down the floor to run some fast breaks.

Few years ago we had PJ at center and Miles at PF a lot. We had a lot of trouble with giving up points in the paint and offensive rebounds. Those things detracted from our ablilty to run the break.

Edey will help the break because he will deter close range attempts and secure defensive rebounds.
EmpireFalls
Veteran
And1: 4,924

Post#1767 » by EmpireFalls » Mon May 20, 2024 11:12 pm

GoBobs wrote:Not every guy on your team needs to run down the floor to run some fast breaks.

Few years ago we had PJ at center and Miles at PF a lot. We had a lot of trouble with giving up points in the paint and offensive rebounds. Those things detracted from our ablilty to run the break.

Edey will help the break because he will deter close range attempts and secure defensive rebounds.

Can I ask, what about this defensive scenario?

Let’s say we’re playing Indiana in round 1, or Atlanta with Trae and a stretch big, or Boston with the White Porzingis PnR.

Here’s some film. https://youtu.be/Mq4FOKlNMSo?si=8AbimLcBZ5ehB6Eo&t=39s

How does Edey play that? How do we turn that into a reasonable defensive situation for us?
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 1,108

Post#1768 » by wilson115 » Mon May 20, 2024 11:15 pm

Chapelchilla wrote:If those rumors are true, then no way they should draft Castle unless Melo is getting shipped/hurt. One of his supposed best assets was the "willing to sacrifice for the team" play out of position. He was supposed to be a SECONDARY playmaker/defensive stud. The guy shot 27%. He can't be a diva too. Maybe that is just talk but I would definitely have concerns about bringing him in if not. Hopefully the Spurs pick him up at 4 and it's a moot point.

Thought that was his main sell too, the low drama/culture change stuff. This posturing just reeks of someone giving him bonehead advice and him listening. I just hope the new FO means what they're saying and does the legwork, tired of reading about our guys hooking up with gold diggers and posses and $#!+.

Read on Twitter
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,639

Post#1769 » by amcoolio » Tue May 21, 2024 3:07 am

I wonder if we can get up to 3 for Risacher. Houston can use Richards right :D

Watching McConnell last night, Sheppard would be my pick if Risacher is gone. Tidjane Salaun is getting up there for me though. The international players are just more prepared even if raw.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,446

Post#1770 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue May 21, 2024 3:37 am

amcoolio wrote:I wonder if we can get up to 3 for Risacher. Houston can use Richards right :D

Watching McConnell last night, Sheppard would be my pick if Risacher is gone. Tidjane Salaun is getting up there for me though. The international players are just more prepared even if raw.

I'm with you on Sheppard. Let's ride.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 936

Post#1771 » by KingCat » Tue May 21, 2024 6:53 am

I've definitely come around on Sheppard. Like with any prospect available to us, I wouldn't get my hopes up to high on him, but think he would be a reasonable pick.

In the unlikely scenario where we get to choose from Castle or Sheppard, I'd be lost on who to pick.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 18,236

Post#1772 » by Diop » Tue May 21, 2024 7:33 am

EmpireFalls wrote:
GoBobs wrote:Not every guy on your team needs to run down the floor to run some fast breaks.

Let’s say we’re playing Indiana in round 1, or Atlanta with Trae and a stretch big, or Boston with the White Porzingis PnR.

How does Edey play that? How do we turn that into a reasonable defensive situation for us?

teams with slow centres don't make the conference finals. you need speedsters like Gobert and Al Horford.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,343

Post#1773 » by Rich4114 » Tue May 21, 2024 12:11 pm

Diop wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:

teams with slow centres don't make the conference finals. you need speedsters like Gobert and Al Horford.

lmao well played :lol:
EmpireFalls
Veteran
And1: 4,924

Post#1774 » by EmpireFalls » Tue May 21, 2024 12:21 pm

Diop wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:

Gobert and Horford appear significantly more mobile on tape than Edey does, though perhaps not if you go by combine numbers.
Snidely FC
Head Coach
And1: 3,297

Post#1775 » by Snidely FC » Tue May 21, 2024 12:59 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:Not sure if people have been following Tristan da Silva but he's giving me Franz Wagner vibes.

Still watching his film, but if he can tighten up his handle I wouldn't take him out of consideration as a trade back option. There is talk his combine has improved his stock into a possible lottery pick.

He was clearly the best player on Colorado and I was questioning why this guy wasn't getting more hype then Cody Williams. I'm coming around to his game.

Da Silva was my favorite player to watch in college ball this year.

Problem is he is likely going to be picked in the teens, out of Hornets reach.

I posted this in March (pg 38 this thread) from Jeremy Woo's Biggest Movers after tournament play:
Spoiler:
One of the big winners of March thus far, da Silva finished his excellent senior season on a strong note. He scored 54 points and went 9-of-16 from 3 in three tournament games, playing an immensely important role for the Buffaloes on both ends of the floor and showcasing the versatility that makes him a pretty safe bet to find a spot in the NBA in relatively short order.

While not a high-volume scorer by nature, da Silva has the right array of skills to provide valuable connective tissue in different types of lineups, and he can do it on both ends of the floor. The knock on him long centered on his passive approach to scoring but he's taken a jump in that area, proving he can step up when called upon as a scorer, displaying a comfort level getting into his shot off the catch and off the dribble, as well as cutting and attacking closeouts. He's also a smart passer with solid positional size, making good decisions that should let him fit nicely alongside better talent.

He has an ability to alter shots by closing out as well as around the basket and the agility to stay with smaller players. While not a stopper in one-on-one situations, he does project as a solid team defender out of the box, which coupled with his offensive game makes for a pretty attractive mix of skills. It's ultimately not too hard for coaches to find minutes for players who do the things da Silva does at a high level, and he would seem to be on very good footing headed into the pre-draft process. -- Woo
JustBuzzin
RealGM

Post#1776 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 21, 2024 1:40 pm

Snidely FC wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Not sure if people have been following Tristan da Silva but he's giving me Franz Wagner vibes.

Still watching his film, but if he can tighten up his handle I wouldn't take him out of consideration as a trade back option. There is talk his combine has improved his stock into a possible lottery pick.

He was clearly the best player on Colorado and I was questioning why this guy wasn't getting more hype then Cody Williams. I'm coming around to his game.

Da Silva was my favorite player to watch in college ball this year.

Problem is he is likely going to be picked in the teens, out of Hornets reach.

I posted this in March (pg 38 this thread) from Jeremy Woo's Biggest Movers after tournament play:
Spoiler:
One of the big winners of March thus far, da Silva finished his excellent senior season on a strong note. He scored 54 points and went 9-of-16 from 3 in three tournament games, playing an immensely important role for the Buffaloes on both ends of the floor and showcasing the versatility that makes him a pretty safe bet to find a spot in the NBA in relatively short order.

While not a high-volume scorer by nature, da Silva has the right array of skills to provide valuable connective tissue in different types of lineups, and he can do it on both ends of the floor. The knock on him long centered on his passive approach to scoring but he's taken a jump in that area, proving he can step up when called upon as a scorer, displaying a comfort level getting into his shot off the catch and off the dribble, as well as cutting and attacking closeouts. He's also a smart passer with solid positional size, making good decisions that should let him fit nicely alongside better talent.

He has an ability to alter shots by closing out as well as around the basket and the agility to stay with smaller players. While not a stopper in one-on-one situations, he does project as a solid team defender out of the box, which coupled with his offensive game makes for a pretty attractive mix of skills. It's ultimately not too hard for coaches to find minutes for players who do the things da Silva does at a high level, and he would seem to be on very good footing headed into the pre-draft process. -- Woo

I would honestly trade back if we could get another quality piece to the rotation.

Do you think he can play sf?

If his handle was a bit more advanced I would probably take him #6.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#1777 » by GoBobs » Tue May 21, 2024 1:51 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:
Diop wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:

Gobert and Horford appear significantly more mobile on tape than Edey does, though perhaps not if you go by combine numbers.

He will probably be similar to Brook Lopez initially. Everything will be drop coverage which will give up some open mid range and off the dribble 3s. Inviting the other team to shoot some mid range and off the dribble 3s isn't the end of the world though.

CP3 is probably the best mid range shooter in recent history, never won. Only guy that really scares me is Steph Curry.

I don't put that much stock in the athletic testing numbers except to say Edey could eventually be as good as Gobert on defense.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 964

Post#1778 » by Chapelchilla » Tue May 21, 2024 3:06 pm

The run run run offense is a regular season scenario. Teams need to tub able to score and defend the paint to win in the playoffs. Edey May be able to do that.
Bleacher report has us taking Reed today. That’s ok with me too. Smart guys who can shoot extremely well will find a place on the floor.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,697

Post#1779 » by JMAC3 » Tue May 21, 2024 3:19 pm

Real Question for those pushing Sheppard, how does he play more than 15 mpg for us? Are you starting him at the 2? Are you moving LaMelo to the 2 full time?
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,639

Post#1780 » by amcoolio » Tue May 21, 2024 4:14 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Real Question for those pushing Sheppard, how does he play more than 15 mpg for us? Are you starting him at the 2? Are you moving LaMelo to the 2 full time?

He's off the bench for the first few years and then probably in the closing lineup if he is playing well.

There isn't a single player in our range that is starting for us for the next two years

Return to Charlotte Hornets