2024 Draft Prospects

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 7,574

Re: 2024 Draft Prospects 

Post#1781 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 21, 2024 4:16 pm

amcoolio wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Real Question for those pushing Sheppard, how does he play more than 15 mpg for us? Are you starting him at the 2? Are you moving LaMelo to the 2 full time?

He's off the bench for the first few years and then probably in the closing lineup if he is playing well.

There isn't a single player in our range that is starting for us for the next two years

Both Castle and Risacher would start for us immediately imo.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,566

Post#1782 » by GoBobs » Tue May 21, 2024 4:18 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Real Question for those pushing Sheppard, how does he play more than 15 mpg for us? Are you starting him at the 2? Are you moving LaMelo to the 2 full time?

I view Miller as more of a forward, so I see the current back court as..

LaMelo
Mann
Miccic
Seth Curry
Cody Martin

Nick Smith Jr

Bryce McGowens
Amari Bailey

So that is very crowded even if you see Miller as a forward like I do. Then at forward..

Grant Williams
Brandon Miller
Miles Bridges

JT Thor

and center

M. Williams
N. Richard

Bertans (probably getting cut)

Just seems like we could use more help at forward or center vs guard. Esp if Bridges doesn't return or there are questions about M. Williams ability to play 82 games.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,386

Post#1783 » by amcoolio » Tue May 21, 2024 4:29 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
amcoolio wrote:

He's off the bench for the first few years and then probably in the closing lineup if he is playing well.

There isn't a single player in our range that is starting for us for the next two years

Risacher yes, but after his playoffs he's going top 4. Castle, no. He cannot shoot and Cody Martin is a better player right now, probably even Nick Smith Jr. too.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 898

Post#1784 » by Chapelchilla » Tue May 21, 2024 4:32 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
amcoolio wrote:

Guys who shoot 27% from the college 3 pt line AND want to be a starting PG are not going to start for the Hornets unless Melo is completely broken. Risacher would likely start at the 3 spot.

A big (PF or C) does make some sense if a good one is available.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,500

Post#1785 » by JMAC3 » Tue May 21, 2024 4:38 pm

amcoolio wrote:

I don't care if he starts or not. I am saying how does he get more than 15 mpg?
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,254

Post#1786 » by SWedd523 » Tue May 21, 2024 4:49 pm

Touting Reed as a defensive tool kind of doesn't make sense to me.

Are we really expecting a 6'1 short armed skinny dude to be a great defender with versatility?

I can see him chasing the Traes, Murrays, and FVVs of the world. But lineups are getting bigger and bigger across the board. Him and Melo would get targeted hard on defense and he doesn't have the size to insert into late game scenarios.

He's going to be a 6th man or at best a 5th option in a big lineup like the Celtics or something
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#1787 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 21, 2024 4:54 pm

Reed is 6'1

I'm confused why so many are high on him for our team in particular. If we drafting a PG I would take Topic because he has the size to actually play both guard spots. I'm not a fan of drafting Reed to be a bench backup. He's just too small to play sg full time imo.

Maybe if we didn't have Melo at PG I would be much higher on Reed.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#1788 » by Rich4114 » Tue May 21, 2024 5:04 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:Reed is 6'1

I'm confused why so many are high on him for our team in particular. If we drafting a PG I would take Topic because he has the size to actually play both guard spots. I'm not a fan of drafting Reed to be a bench backup. He's just too small to play sg full time imo.

Maybe if we didn't have Melo at PG I would be much higher on Reed.

It's the shooting ability. 52% from 3 in NCAA is absolutely wild. But the issue is, we've seen it before from players with his measurables and it often doesn't translate to the NBA. However, he has that 42" vertical which might make him different.
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#1789 » by JMAC3 » Tue May 21, 2024 5:06 pm

Read on Twitter

Jovic measured 6-9.5 without shoes.
Reed measured 6-1.75 without shoes.

Topic looks to be about 3 inches shorter, than Jovic here so he is going to be 5 inches taller than Reed? With probably another 4-5 inches in wingspan. Do we really think Reed is going to be a better defender in the NBA with 10 inches less than Topic and 20 lbs lighter than Topic? Oh and Topic is over a full year younger than Reed, so he has a better chance of growing.
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#1790 » by Rich4114 » Tue May 21, 2024 5:07 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Topic looks to be about 3 inches shorter, than Jovic here so he is going to be 5 inches taller than Reed? With probably another 4-5 inches in wingspan. Do we really think Reed is going to be a better defender in the NBA with 10 inches less than Topic and 20 lbs lighter than Topic? Oh and Topic is over a full year younger than Reed, so he has a better chance of growing.

I actually haven't even considered Topic might be available to us if WAS and SAS don't take him. If he's BPA and fills the playmaking/PG need (Micic is unserious long term) then I think it'd be smart to go Topic.
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#1791 » by JMAC3 » Tue May 21, 2024 5:09 pm

Terry Rozier had a 6-8.25 wingspan and we thought we were too small with him, but let's re-roll the dice with someone that has a 6-3.5 wingspan...
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#1792 » by JMAC3 » Tue May 21, 2024 5:28 pm

Rich4114 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I actually haven't even considered Topic might be available to us if WAS and SAS don't take him. If he's BPA and fills the playmaking/PG need (Micic is unserious long term) then I think it'd be smart to go Topic.

At least Topic is a bit more versatile because of his size, we probably could look at bringing in an undersized defender like a Beverley, Gary Payton Jr because at least we could talk ourselves into that player being able to play with both Melo and Topic.

So assume we did sign Gary Payton Jr esq type of guy who is 6-3.

Option 1: Draft Nikola Topic
Potential Backcourt Lineups
Melo and Topic 6-7 and 6-7
Melo and Martin 6-7 and 6-5
Melo and Micic 6-7 and 6-5
Melo and Mann 6-7 and 6-3
Melo and Curry 6-7 and 6-1
Melo and Payton 6-7 and 6-3
Topic and Martin 6-7 and 6-5
Topic and Mann 6-7 and 6-3
Topic and Micic 6-7 and 6-5
Topic and Payton 6-7 and 6-3
Topic and Curry 6-7and 6-1

Option 2: Draft Reed Sheppard
Potential Backcourt Lineups
Melo and Sheppard 6-7 and 6-3
Melo and Martin 6-7and 6-5
Melo and Micic 6-7and 6-5
Melo and Mann 6-7 and 6-3
Melo and Curry 6-7 and 6-1
Melo and Payton 6-7 and 6-3
Sheppard and Martin 6-3 and 6-5
Sheppard and Micic 6-3 and 6-5
Sheppard and Mann 6-3 and 6-3
Sheppard and Payton 6-3 and 6-3
Sheppard and Curry 6-3 and 6-1
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#1793 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 21, 2024 5:53 pm

I like that Pat Bev idea. Another guy who brings intensity and can help change the culture. Should be realistic because I doubt he will have a lot of suitors after what he pulled with the fans and reporter.

I have 5 prospects I would be fine drafting Castle/Knecht/Risacher/DaSilva/George

Basically SG/SF prospects.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,595

Post#1794 » by Bassman » Tue May 21, 2024 6:01 pm

Reed and Dilly are just too small. Not interested.

If we are HEALTHY, we still have gaps at C and PF. Miles may or may not be here. I don’t see us extending Thor and Bertha’s needs to be traded. No idea how such a trade shapes up but it possibly is part of getting a strong vet via S&T of Miles, or lopping on picks with players.

Having Mark Williams and Nick Richards as our only true centers is a concern. Will Mark be healthy? Can he STAY healthy? Will he play at a high level and continue to improve, or does his back issue cut into his effectiveness? Nick is who he is, and ANY slippage by Mark from a FULL return to form means we’re playing Nick plus Grant again at 5. That is NOT acceptable.

If Clingan is there we will be fortunate. I’d strongly consider Risacher over Clingan, as long as we have a plan to get a big via trade, but all that depends on how both test out for the Hornet’s in their workouts/interviews.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#1795 » by Rich4114 » Tue May 21, 2024 7:17 pm

Bassman wrote:Reed and Dilly are just too small. Not interested.

If we are HEALTHY, we still have gaps at C and PF. Miles may or may not be here. I don’t see us extending Thor and Bertha’s needs to be traded. No idea how such a trade shapes up but it possibly is part of getting a strong vet via S&T of Miles, or lopping on picks with players.

Having Mark Williams and Nick Richards as our only true centers is a concern. Will Mark be healthy? Can he STAY healthy? Will he play at a high level and continue to improve, or does his back issue cut into his effectiveness? Nick is who he is, and ANY slippage by Mark from a FULL return to form means we’re playing Nick plus Grant again at 5. That is NOT acceptable.

If Clingan is there we will be fortunate. I’d strongly consider Risacher over Clingan, as long as we have a plan to get a big via trade, but all that depends on how both test out for the Hornet’s in their workouts/interviews.

While I don't support drafting for need, since prospects 1-10 seem like a crap shoot it makes sense to factor fit/need in more so this draft. It just so happens Clingan is probably the safest pick out of anyone in the top 10 including Sarr. So I'm on Clingan as 1a for our pick (but it's looking like he likely isn't there), one of the taller wings like Riscacher/Matas, Topic or Edey. Reed Sheppard scares me. Dillingham no way unless he's Kemba Walker 2.0 (he probably isn't) and then there's Topic but I can't see him lasting until 6.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#1796 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 21, 2024 9:58 pm

I just don't see the need for us to draft PG or C with #6.

We can get cheaper FA's to play that backup role. A guy like Drummond is a big body who can rebound. Until we know what's the issue with Mark's back we shouldn't be drafting his replacement so soon.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,294

Post#1797 » by luciano-davidwesley » Tue May 21, 2024 10:19 pm

I think he is one of the BPA and will be backup point guard for a year or two. If he significantly outplays that role , which I think he clearly can, we trade him or Melo (obviously most likely Sheppard traded) for lots of value to balance the roster.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1798 » by luciano-davidwesley » Tue May 21, 2024 10:25 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm probably picking Topic over Sheppard anyway if they are both there at 6.

There is more to being a basketball player than just measurables though. We get a bit carried away with it during measurements season.

Kai Jones had great measureables but no ability to process a game. What's between the ears is always going to be more important than measurements.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1799 » by luciano-davidwesley » Tue May 21, 2024 10:27 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Terry Rozier had a 6-8.25 wingspan and we thought we were too small with him, but let's re-roll the dice with someone that has a 6-3.5 wingspan...

Terry Rozier was also a chucker who had zero inclination to even try on defense, so there's that too.

Why don't we just go sign the tallest person in the world because they'll clearly be the best player in the world? Well at least during measurements season anyway.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,254

Post#1800 » by SWedd523 » Tue May 21, 2024 10:35 pm

Yeah tall guys tend to do better than short guys at basketball

Return to Charlotte Hornets