yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,750

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1821 » by yosemiteben » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:31 pm

Rich4114 wrote:
BigSlam wrote:
Rich4114 wrote:If we have to choose between Monk and Devonte, I really don’t see the debate. Monk has to be resigned.

They are not comparable and both serve very different purposes.

This choice isn’t between those two.

It will be if we don’t have space to sign both. I’d like to have both back since we all know how much it sucks to only have one PG but it depends on the contract demands of both.

This gets to the point I made with SWedd a little while ago. We have bird rights on both, so it's not so much a question of do we have space, it's more a question of will we be better able to utilize that space on a different player. My guess is that it'll depend on their cap holds. Devonte's cap hold is dirt cheap, so we're in a great spot to sign Monk, use cap space, then sign Devonte.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1822 » by BigSlam » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:53 pm

We’ll have cap space. Cody and Biz both come off the books this summer. Not to mention Wanamaker as well (and some other smaller contracts).

Cap space won’t be an issue, we’ll have $25 or so million in immediate cap space next season.

So unless they both want mega contacts (which I don’t see happening), the discussion isn’t about Malik or Tae.

Do we see Monk as a long term solution or Terry as a long term solution.

That’s the question.

If we think it’s Monk then we sign him and either trade Terry this summer/next season or we become prepared just to let him walk the year after.

If we want to stick with Terry then we look to S&T Monk or be prepared to let him walk.

Putting resigning Monk against Graham is like putting resigning Rozier against Bridges the following season. It doesn’t make sense because they serve different purposes.
B B M F 'ers
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,177

Post#1823 » by Braggins » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:24 pm

BigSlam wrote:We’ll have cap space. Cody and Biz both come off the books this summer. Not to mention Wanamaker as well (and some other smaller contracts).

Cap space won’t be an issue, we’ll have $25 or so million in immediate cap space next season.

So unless they both want mega contacts (which I don’t see happening), the discussion isn’t about Malik or Tae.

That’s the question.

If we think it’s Monk then we sign him and either trade Terry this summer/next season or we become prepared just to let him walk the year after.

If we want to stick with Terry then we look to S&T Monk or be prepared to let him walk.

Putting resigning Monk against Graham is like putting resigning Rozier against Bridges the following season. It doesn’t make sense because they serve different purposes.

So then should we only sign Devonte if we see him as the better long term PG option over LaMelo?
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,231

Post#1824 » by Rich4114 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:25 pm

Well you’re right on Terry, and having Monk locked up gives us insurance and flexibility over whatever we do with Terry. Has Terry peaked? Will he be looking for a max deal? I can’t see it making sense to give Terry a max deal especially when we’d be able to have Monk for presumably less than what Terry costs right now. We also need cap space to use towards upgrading the front court.

At the end of the day, the team is going to be built around LaMelo for the foreseeable future. So what compliments him the most is what we should prioritize.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1825 » by BigSlam » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:45 pm

Braggins wrote:
BigSlam wrote:We’ll have cap space. Cody and Biz both come off the books this summer. Not to mention Wanamaker as well (and some other smaller contracts).

That’s the question.

So then should we only sign Devonte if we see him as the better long term PG option over LaMelo?

That's a horrible take because those two are not comparable.

LaMelo is locked into 4 more years of a rookie scale contract.

Malik and Terry are not.
B B M F 'ers
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1826 » by BigSlam » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:48 pm

Rich4114 wrote:Well you’re right on Terry, and having Monk locked up gives us insurance and flexibility over whatever we do with Terry. Has Terry peaked? Will he be looking for a max deal? I can’t see it making sense to give Terry a max deal especially when we’d be able to have Monk for presumably less than what Terry costs right now. We also need cap space to use towards upgrading the front court.

This is where I am at as well.

If we can sign Malik for less than we currently have Terry signed at (so less than $18mil a year (which I think we should easily be able to do because Monk hasn't earned close to that IMO) then I would 100% commit to Malik, look to move Terry this summer and move Malik into a more prominent SG role for us.

Malik at $12-$15mil a year is a better investment for us than Terry at $20-$30mil a year (his next contract) IMO.
B B M F 'ers
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#1827 » by Rich4114 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:07 pm

BigSlam wrote:
Rich4114 wrote:Well you’re right on Terry, and having Monk locked up gives us insurance and flexibility over whatever we do with Terry. Has Terry peaked? Will he be looking for a max deal? I can’t see it making sense to give Terry a max deal especially when we’d be able to have Monk for presumably less than what Terry costs right now. We also need cap space to use towards upgrading the front court.

This is where I am at as well.

If we can sign Malik for less than we currently have Terry signed at (so less than $18mil a year (which I think we should easily be able to do because Monk hasn't earned close to that IMO) then I would 100% commit to Malik, look to move Terry this summer and move Malik into a more prominent SG role for us.

Malik at $12-$15mil a year is a better investment for us than Terry at $20-$30mil a year (his next contract) IMO.

I really can’t tell what kind of contract Monk would be able to get. On one hand you look at the sample size and what you referenced above sounds like the upper end but then you look at what a team signed Luke Kennard for and it just blows all of that up. Perhaps a good deal for everyone would be a 3 year deal that gives him a chance to earn a much bigger contract by the time Gordon Hayward’s deal is up.
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#1828 » by Rich4114 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:15 pm

So I’m browsing around hoops hype to see comparable player salaries. Jordan Clarkson. I feel like that’s a comparable guy to Monk (while Monk still has more upside). $12-$15m per.

This site also reminded me we have Nic Batum on the cap for the next two seasons at $9m :x
Braggins
RealGM

Post#1829 » by Braggins » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:17 pm

BigSlam wrote:
Braggins wrote:

That’s the question.

That's a horrible take because those two are not comparable.

LaMelo is locked into 4 more years of a rookie scale contract.

Malik and Terry are not.

Thats not my take. I lean towards wanting to resign Devonte.

edit: don't want to derail into a Devonte discussion again.
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#1830 » by Rich4114 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:22 pm

The issue with Devonte is that he really just has one dimension of his game that he’s really really good at and everything else he’s not good at all at.

Three point shooter who can work the screen and create his own shot? Check.

Decent facilitator I guess.

Can’t drive, can’t get to the rim and finish, poor defender, undersized. As long as we recognize what he is and use him accordingly, he’ll serve us well.

Guys like Monk (since this thread is about Monk) have multiple elements to their game that equate to wins. I can’t imagine Devonte getting comparable money to Monk, but nothing surprises me with contracts these days.
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#1831 » by euphorbus » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:35 pm

Any updates on Monk's injury? He was supposed to be reevaluated in two weeks, which is today.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1832 » by BigSlam » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:50 pm

euphorbus wrote:Any updates on Monk's injury? He was supposed to be reevaluated in two weeks, which is today.

Apparently with the way JB spoke about him today Monk wont be back any time soon.
B B M F 'ers
euphorbus
Analyst

Post#1833 » by euphorbus » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:00 am

BigSlam wrote:
euphorbus wrote:Any updates on Monk's injury? He was supposed to be reevaluated in two weeks, which is today.

Apparently with the way JB spoke about him today Monk wont be back any time soon.

Ok, thanks.
Braggins
RealGM

Post#1834 » by Braggins » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:32 am

BigSlam wrote:

What did he say?
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#1835 » by Rich4114 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:29 pm

Sounds like Monk was still at minimum a week away but probably two, considering he’s not really working but now able to walk without a limp. It wasn’t a high ankle sprain so he should be back end of April. He’d basically be our leading scorer on this team when he returns. I have more confidence in him getting shots with this group than I do Terry right now.

This stretch of games has reinforced and validated how strongly I feel that we have to resign him. Who else are we getting at the guard spot that replaces what he does, is 23 and will cost $15m per year or less?
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,287

Post#1836 » by luciano-davidwesley » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:29 am

I think it would be much easier to replace Graham's production than Monk's.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,750

Post#1837 » by yosemiteben » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:30 pm

luciano-davidwesley wrote:I think it would be much easier to replace Graham's production than Monk's.

I agree with this. Grahama's primary attraction is as a bench PG due to his dirt cheap cap hold.
euphorbus
Analyst

Post#1838 » by euphorbus » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:00 am

Bonnell writes on Twitter: "Malik Monk (sprained ankle) has done 'very little' as far as physical activity so far, according to Hornets coach James Borrego. In other words, he isn’t close to playing."
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#1839 » by Rich4114 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:08 am

Really good read by the ringer about Malik Monk. Answers some questions I think we had and I actually like JB more after reading this:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/4/20/22392444/malik-monk-charlotte-hornets-player-development-nba

Also confirms what we knew about Clifford, lol:

“In his first season, Monk played 14 inconsistent minutes a game and spent the year confused about his role and playing time. “It was hard my rookie year,” Monk said. “I had a coach that didn’t play rookies.”
euphorbus
Analyst

Post#1840 » by euphorbus » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:34 pm

You beat me to it, Rich. But now I have to eat crow: "Monk says he didn’t feel 100 percent healthy until the first week of February, and his smell and taste are still coming back." He might have come back two weeks earlier than he did, in terms of minutes, but it is understandable now why he did not.

Return to Charlotte Hornets