Udoka
16%

Total votes: 44

Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Re: Coaching Poll 

Post#21 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:46 pm

Messina feels like at least a medium risk/reward hire to me. The risk is that the players might respond poorly to him. I'm thinking Dulap with more X&O's talent. However if things work out then maybe he is the best choice.

I just feel strongly that managing egos is a big part of the job and that's where Messina's red flags are.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,568

Post#22 » by LofJ » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:15 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Messina feels like at least a medium risk/reward hire to me. The risk is that the players might respond poorly to him. I'm thinking Dulap with more X&O's talent. However if things work out then maybe he is the best choice.

I just feel strongly that managing egos is a big part of the job and that's where Messina's red flags are.

That would be a concern if we had a star player with an ego. We have Dwight, but he's not part of the long-term plan and will hopefully not be on the team next season. The rest of our players, sans maybe Monk who is still young enough to be groomed, don't have a big ego and have proven themselves to be extremely coachable.

I think Mitch will offer him the job, whether he accepts it or not is the question to be answered. He might be holding out for a better opportunity such as the Bucks job.
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,751

Post#23 » by MPM » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:45 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Messina feels like at least a medium risk/reward hire to me. The risk is that the players might respond poorly to him. I'm thinking Dulap with more X&O's talent. However if things work out then maybe he is the best choice.

Ego management is a valid concern and one I share. I hope his time with the Spurs has buffered his Euro instincts - coaches tend to be far more controlling there.

Messina is easily still my main want, but this assumes minor roster tweaks. Messina love fades fast if our FO decides to pull a Hinkie. In that case, I'd almost just hand the reins to Silas before bringing in an unproven like Stack or a so-so retread. Would definitely be a slap in the face to Silas to bring in Stack.

FYI - Although he did nothing to impress me during his temporary stint this season, part of me kept thinking Silas was just keeping the boss' gameplan warm for him while he was away. He'd be fine as tank commander.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,409

Post#24 » by MasterIchiro » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:19 pm

I don't know much about any of the candidates, other than superficially. I find Fizdale a bit too eccentric. Someone like him can sometimes have a hard time capping his ego in relationships. So I worry about player relations. I don't like Hornacek for the same reasons. Just give me someone who will make smart decisions on the court and approachable to the players. We don't have to swing for the fences as big market teams do. The Knicks will likely experiment with Stackhouse after burning through two former point guards in Fisher and Hornacek. Give me Messina from the Spurs organization. He will be innovative, smart and humble. Nothing extraordinary but we need slow steady improvement as we lean up Cho's craptastic roster these next 2 years.
It has been written...
bravor
Starter
And1: 748

Post#25 » by bravor » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:03 am

Really not sure that Messina would be a good candidate here. He used to be the best coach in the Euroleague, but he also had some major failures (the most critical being with his national team) during last few years.
Blatt had also some success in the EL and everyone knows how it turned for him.

A good defensive coach would be my choice, considering the roster for the next few years with lots of rookies/youngsters to develop, especially at the wing. And not a player's coach. Sort of a Thibodeau profile if there is one in their short list, but with better playing time management.

Even if it's less than likely that it happens, Monty Williams was the assistant coach in Portland when Batum started his nba career. And he was the one who was on his *** to work hard in defense. I don't believe in some 'back to the future' stuff for Batum though.

For what i recall Vogel did some good stuff with rookies and a young roster. Maybe he could fit well here and create a good chemistry between the veteran that will be left next season and all the young players that are set to get more responsabilities from now on.
predators
Senior
And1: 319

Post#26 » by predators » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:22 pm

It would be pretty dumb to not interview Budenholzer.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#27 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:01 pm

I'm pretty sure that Atlanta is going to want compensation in the form of draft picks for letting Bud walk. Phoenix can do that. The Hornets, not so much.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#28 » by DY_nasty » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:45 pm

bravor wrote:Really not sure that Messina would be a good candidate here. He used to be the best coach in the Euroleague, but he also had some major failures (the most critical being with his national team) during last few years.
Blatt had also some success in the EL and everyone knows how it turned for him.

A good defensive coach would be my choice, considering the roster for the next few years with lots of rookies/youngsters to develop, especially at the wing. And not a player's coach. Sort of a Thibodeau profile if there is one in their short list, but with better playing time management.

Even if it's less than likely that it happens, Monty Williams was the assistant coach in Portland when Batum started his nba career. And he was the one who was on his *** to work hard in defense. I don't believe in some 'back to the future' stuff for Batum though.

For what i recall Vogel did some good stuff with rookies and a young roster. Maybe he could fit well here and create a good chemistry between the veteran that will be left next season and all the young players that are set to get more responsabilities from now on.
Blatt came over to coach a young team not get the full LBJ experience :lol:

dude got screwed the same way spoelstra did but without the pat riley to back him up and put things in balance
_tijo_
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 335

Post#29 » by _tijo_ » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:37 pm

I would actually go with a different Spurs assistant.

Becky Hammon.

Make history Mitch.
Who I woulda took:
2023: Miller | 2022: Duren | 2021: Bouknight, Jones | 2020: Ball | 2019: PJ | 2018: MPJ | 2017: Monk | 2016: Damian Jones | 2015: Winslow | 2014: Vonleh, Napier | 2013: McLemore | 2012: MKG | 2011: Knight, Kawhi
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,611

Post#30 » by HornetJail » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:43 pm

Messina is the acting head coach for the Spurs tonight. Pop's wife passed yesterday and isn't coaching Game 3.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#31 » by catch20two » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:50 pm

_tijo_ wrote:I would actually go with a different Spurs assistant.

Becky Hammon.

Make history Mitch.

Nah lol.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,350

Post#32 » by amcoolio » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:43 pm

I can easily see Pop retiring and Messina taking the Spurs job. Especially if Tony and Manu retire and Kawai asks for a trade

Spurs probably unload Aldridge and rebuild around Murray and tank for a few seasons
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
-Ian-
Analyst
And1: 856

Post#33 » by -Ian- » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:54 pm

NBA coaching candidates: Perfect hires for the Knicks, Suns, Bucks and every other opening

Hornets: Jerry Stackhouse

It is hard to read the Hornets, who have reportedly been given permission to interview 58-year-old Spurs assistant coach Ettore Messina. Stackhouse and Messina's resumes couldn't be more different, but they both have connections to new general manager Mitch Kupchak -- Stackhouse through the University of North Carolina and Messina through his season as an assistant coach under Mike Brown with the Los Angeles Lakers.

I'd love to see Messina run his own team, but I'm just not sure that Charlotte is the right fit. Is Kupchak going to overhaul the team this summer? Is his goal to make the playoffs next season or in three-to-four years? The Hornets are firmly aboard the treadmill of mediocrity, and they need to get on a path that leads somewhere sustainable. In this situation, it is easy to sell the hiring of a young coach with potential, such as Stackhouse. If he is hired, he will win the press conference by talking about defense, toughness and player development. What comes after that? It depends almost entirely on what Kupchak does with the roster.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,611

Post#34 » by HornetJail » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:15 pm

amcoolio wrote:I can easily see Pop retiring and Messina taking the Spurs job. Especially if Tony and Manu retire and Kawai asks for a trade

Spurs probably unload Aldridge and rebuild around Murray and tank for a few seasons

I don't see Messina leaving without the Spurs knowing that Pop is back next year. It would be our luck to wait for that decision while we watch Stackhouse, Vogel, Blatt, and Fizdale get picked up elsewhere, and then Pop retires, hands over the reigns to Messina, and we get stuck with some other guy.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
LofJ
RealGM

Post#35 » by LofJ » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:17 pm

amcoolio wrote:I can easily see Pop retiring and Messina taking the Spurs job. Especially if Tony and Manu retire and Kawai asks for a trade

If I'm unlucky enough to outlive my wife, work would be my salvation. I'd go insane as a 60+ year old single man.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,350

Post#36 » by amcoolio » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:34 pm

LofJ wrote:

If I'm unlucky enough to outlive my wife, work would be my salvation. I'd go insane as a 60+ year old single man.

True but Pop seems like the type of guy to retire and go coach youth in Italy
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,572

Post#37 » by Bassman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:52 am

So I’ve changed my mind, and now predict Stackhouse will get the job. Messina may be one of those guys who checks a lot of boxes but just doesn’t fit what the team and Kupchak need going forward. Mitch interviewed him before and picked somebody else. May be the same thing here...just not the right fit.

Stack is said to be a good coach, develops talent and communicates well with players. My question is; does he have the strength of will to lead and win respect from his players?

We shall see....
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
thesneakysneak
Pro Prospect
And1: 272

Post#38 » by thesneakysneak » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:25 am

Any chance stackhouse would come on board as the assistant head coach under Messina? Like the new Silas, and focus on player development?

One can dream.
I like fish
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,176

Post#39 » by Braggins » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:26 am

thesneakysneak wrote:Any chance stackhouse would come on board as the assistant head coach under Messina? Like the new Silas, and focus on player development?

One can dream.

I'd say unlikely, but if no one is ready to offer him a head coaching position and no contenders are looking for a lead assistant, it might be possible. I'd say we'd have the best shot of the teams with vacancies at landing him as an assistant in that scenario due to his ties to our management
LofJ
RealGM

Post#40 » by LofJ » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:47 am

I wonder if the team has any interest in Blatt? We haven't heard anything on that end.

Return to Charlotte Hornets