GT: Charlotte vs Spurs 1/12 8PM ET

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,824

Re: GT: Charlotte vs Spurs 1/12 8PM ET 

Post#21 » by JDR720 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:46 pm

After last season, I'd rather not risk it. He sprained both ankles multiple times in just a few months.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 14,143

Post#22 » by yosemiteben » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:08 pm

JDR720 wrote:After last season, I'd rather not risk it. He sprained both ankles multiple times in just a few months.

Like risk him playing again at all this season?

If he has completely finished the treatment protocol and says the ankle feels completely healed after working out on it and he's cleared by the medical staff, I don't see why we should have the coaching staff second guess the player, the medical staff, and the treatment protocol and just arbitrarily hold him out.

I also feel very strongly that Melo needs a lot of work on his game, so if he's healthy I want him playing.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,096

Post#23 » by fatlever » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:11 pm

dude needs to play, even in a lost season. he wont get better by watching. plus, you know, the main reason nba exists is for entertainment. we paying him 200 mil. dude needs to be on the floor selling tix, creating highlights, driving jersey sales, attracting buzz that leads to free agents wanting to play with him.
MPM
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,029

Post#24 » by MPM » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:13 pm

Rich4114 wrote:Have you guys seen our guard / playmaking (or lack thereof)? It's basically an extension of summer league where we put a bunch of wings or combo guards on the floor, poor center play and then expect our rookie to just come in and be an all star. He's not ready to take over games, but we've seen glimpses of it. He's learning the NBA, the dumb way games are called (or not called) and asked to do way more than he should be given the current environment. He's projecting to be a star and I think the biggest thing he needs to do in the off-season is add muscle and weight.

Sorry, missed the part where someone wrote they "expect our rookie to just come in and be an all star." What they (I) did say is that he's seemed less engaged of late compared to earlier in the season. I think this is an accurate statement. This can be attributed to any number of things - injury, illness, infectious malaise...and, yes, being forced to play with scrubs (or - all of the above). Doesn't mean people are wrong for noticing it.
JustBuzzin
RealGM
And1: 8,986

Post#25 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:53 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:I have no idea why they rushing LaMelo back the season is lost. Make sure that ankle is 100% healthy before he comes back.

Why are you assuming they are rushing him or that the ankle is not 100% healthy? Or is this just what you would say regardless of the timeline?

Have you seen Brandon Miller?

He hasn't looked the same since his ankle sprain. These guys playing not 100% is hurting the team. In a lost season I'm just saying we need to make sure our better players are healthy.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 14,143

Post#26 » by yosemiteben » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:50 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:I have no idea why they rushing LaMelo back the season is lost. Make sure that ankle is 100% healthy before he comes back.

Why are you assuming they are rushing him or that the ankle is not 100% healthy? Or is this just what you would say regardless of the timeline?

Have you seen Brandon Miller?

He hasn't looked the same since his ankle sprain. These guys playing not 100% is hurting the team. In a lost season I'm just saying we need to make sure our better players are healthy.

He got sick and that affected his play. Has nothing to do with his ankle.

Read on Twitter

If the player says they're good and the medical staff says they're good, you play them. Doesn't seem controversial.

Sitting him his rookie season when he's able to play is really dumb IMO, young guys need court time.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,343

Post#27 » by Rich4114 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:59 pm

MPM wrote:
Rich4114 wrote:Have you guys seen our guard / playmaking (or lack thereof)? It's basically an extension of summer league where we put a bunch of wings or combo guards on the floor, poor center play and then expect our rookie to just come in and be an all star. He's not ready to take over games, but we've seen glimpses of it. He's learning the NBA, the dumb way games are called (or not called) and asked to do way more than he should be given the current environment. He's projecting to be a star and I think the biggest thing he needs to do in the off-season is add muscle and weight.

Sorry, missed the part where someone wrote they "expect our rookie to just come in and be an all star." What they (I) did say is that he's seemed less engaged of late compared to earlier in the season. I think this is an accurate statement. This can be attributed to any number of things - injury, illness, infectious malaise...and, yes, being forced to play with scrubs (or - all of the above). Doesn't mean people are wrong for noticing it.

I'm just highlighting that the expectations for him should be peeled back a bit by the masses given everything I mentioned. I'm really not worried about him developing into what he projects to be. With experience and strength, he has a chance to be a Tatum type of player. These guys usually take at least 3 seasons though.
MPM
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,029

Post#28 » by MPM » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:05 pm

Rich4114 wrote:
MPM wrote:

I'm just highlighting that the expectations for him should be peeled back a bit by the masses given everything I mentioned. I'm really not worried about him developing into what he projects to be. With experience and strength, he has a chance to be a Tatum type of player. These guys usually take at least 3 seasons though.

With you. I'm a big fan of Miller's and think there's little question he'll be A-OK over time - a key part of our core - just want to see him get back some of the aggression he showed earlier in the year. What we're seeing could very well be a blip. Will be interesting to see how him playing with Melo and against Wemby tonight impacts his approach.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,343

Post#29 » by Rich4114 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:49 am

MPM wrote:
Rich4114 wrote:
MPM wrote:

With you. I'm a big fan of Miller's and think there's little question he'll be A-OK over time - a key part of our core - just want to see him get back some of the aggression he showed earlier in the year. What we're seeing could very well be a blip. Will be interesting to see how him playing with Melo and against Wemby tonight impacts his approach.

I’m guessing it’s just that typical rookie wall. Especially when you consider our gauntlet schedule to start, the long road trip followed by another road trip and the inconsistency in who he’s playing with. I guess it’s not surprising. But I agree, I want to see him play aggressive like he did in Phoenix. Stop deferring to Terry and look for your shot. Go catch a body again.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,446

Post#30 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:18 am

Lol Lamelo
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#31 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:20 am

This is some horrific basketball
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,409

Post#32 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:31 am

Thor is such garbage. He can't get up to the rim.

Edit: And again! Lamelo sets him up to take contact for two free throws at worst and he meekly gets blocked and whiffs an awful shot when he regathers the block. The guy is Kai Jones/Bouknight level trash.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,824

Post#33 » by JDR720 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:34 am

He's somehow gotten worse than his rookie year.

That draft was historically bad for us.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:35 am

JDR720 wrote:He's somehow gotten worse than his rookie year.

That draft was historically bad for us.

Probably WOAT draft in NBA history not involving a top 5 pick. We managed to not only stuff that draft up but potentially another down the track by trading back into the first for a potential future first.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:37 am

Did Lamelo "forget" to cover his neck tat?
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:46 am

Exactly 0 bench points in the first quarter. Maybe one day we'll use the MLE?
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:50 am

Flagrant 1 surely on Keldon. He was behind Miller in transition and put him in a dangerous landing position.
DSM346
Freshman
And1: 71

Post#38 » by DSM346 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:52 am

Absolutely reckless play.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:54 am

These Spurs announcers are idiots. But but but he's going for the ball.

He hits him from behind in mid air in a fast break dunk transition situation. He really shouldn't even be contesting in that situation. Absolutely zero margin for error for the defender in that situation.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#40 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:55 am

If we did that to wemby the player would've been tossed asap

Return to Charlotte Hornets