ImageImage

Humm Diddly Dee: The Eric Collins Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

sidestep
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Re: LOUD NOISES!!! The Eric Collins Thread 

Post#41 » by sidestep » Fri Nov 6, 2015 6:32 am

vorbis wrote:yeah after a few more games, the team has a ton of rust to work through. stephanie and dell don't yet seem to have a rhythm as to who's going to talk, and when. they also haven't quite worked out how to react to each other.
a few times dell has given some solid analysis and then stephanie's response is simply laughing, sometimes fake, sometimes not, or resorting to cliché cheers like "way to go, team!" over a positive stat. I imagine that'll be the type of thing that will take a few weeks to work out.

we all know that both of them are super sharp. stephanie is very quick to identify fundamentals and their impact on plays, and dell has a great feel for how offense and defense are 5 players working in tandem. dell's also very good at analyzing replays. stephanie is very perceptive in her scouting of opponents and matchups. the tools are there, which is what makes the hiccups frustrating for now 4 games into the season.

you can tell a huge difference when stephanie interviews a player before the half or just after the final buzzer. she's a lot more comfortable there. so you know there's a seamless broadcast in there somewhere. but for right now it's awkward.

eric, I think I'm quickly losing patience for him. I realize he might be under some kind of directive to provide ENERGY!! for younger audiences maybe, but man he gets on my nerves. it's hard to get a feel for the game when any play that happens near the rim gets an ear-splitting shriek. NBA games have nuance. not every play is amazing, some are clever and pretty, but not necessarily exciting. if he'd just mete out his excitement a little more organically it would make a big difference.

also yeah, the homerism is really grating. I'm not asking the guy to be a wooden stoic but keeping things in perspective is really important to me. especially when there's going to be a minimum of 82 of these **** things.

hopefully as stephanie and dell get more comfortable with each other, he'll figure out his role and chill out a little bit with the yelling and overstating things.

I enjoyed reading your take on that. I agree with pretty much everything, tho oddly I'm not annoyed with Eric (yet?). There are so many worse announcing teams around, that I appreciate they aren't like that. Esp when I have to listen to morons who can barely put a sentence together. THAT I cannot tune out, but Eric being all homer and enthused, I can more or less tune that out when I want to.

Dominique, or the Clippers guys, or the Houston buffoons. Mute that ****.

This crew doesn't always know how to fill up the air time all the time, but that's not such a bad thing. In general, I'd rather hear less from crews than hearing filler, which most of it is.

I enjoy the Miami announcers best. They say interesting things but are not intrusive with their comments, and they're even-handed and try to be balanced instead of just entertaining, and it's obvious they truly enjoy the game but don't have to squeal loudly to convey that.
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#42 » by LamarMatic7 » Fri Nov 6, 2015 12:01 pm

amcoolio wrote:He had some weird moments tonight. like, voice inflection squeals.

Oh yeah, three such moments were especially noticeable.

I also had to cringe about him saying that "there isn't anything Hairston can't do on the basketball court". A very company man-like statement there.
catsfan
Junior
And1: 129

Post#43 » by catsfan » Fri Nov 6, 2015 1:20 pm

amcoolio wrote:He had some weird moments tonight. like, voice inflection squeals. And Steph Ready doesn't chime in often and when she does its not really important. I don't see this threesome lasting in this configuration beyond this season

my favorite was when eric collins started going down the dirk/frank comparison path and dell said "well if you are going down that road, you are going alone"

i like that dell and steph are resisting the blanket homerism. they just need to dump eric and let steph do play by play
LamarMatic7

Post#44 » by LamarMatic7 » Sun Nov 8, 2015 8:36 pm

did anyone notice that mishap about UNC trivia? Collins came out and basically said, check out this - only Jordan, Worthy and Danny Green are Tar Heels which won an NBA championship. Dell and Stephanie were impressed about that fact, only for Collins to correct himself after a subsequent commercial break and say that, yeah, twitter members are writing in that Harrison Barnes, Bob McAdoo, etc. have also won a title.

not bashing him but, yeah, it was just weird... someone fed him some very incorrect trivia.
InProblematique
Sophomore
And1: 48

Eric Collins has gotta go. 

Post#45 » by InProblematique » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:21 pm

Donezo.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,181

Post#46 » by Braggins » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:09 pm

Hes bad, but I think that he might be so bad that hes entertaining.
EwingSweatsALot
Veteran
And1: 919

Post#47 » by EwingSweatsALot » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:19 pm

inrrally think Stephanie hates this guy. Or is at least highly annoyed by him. All her responses to him have the inflection of "get a load of this guy and his BS"
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#48 » by Eoghan » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:49 pm

EwingSweatsALot wrote:inrrally think Stephanie hates this guy. Or is at least highly annoyed by him. All her responses to him have the inflection of "get a load of this guy and his BS"

That's why I now call him: UnEazy-E.
LamarMatic7

Post#49 » by LamarMatic7 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:18 pm

did you have the Hornets feed last night, Fats?

if you did then I know that you were anticipating Kenny Gattison's name (just as I was) when Dell was asked about the best screeners he played with.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,771

Post#50 » by fatlever » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:33 pm

LamarMatic7 wrote:did you have the Hornets feed last night, Fats?

if you did then I know that you were anticipating Kenny Gattison's name (just as I was) when Dell was asked about the best screeners he played with.

HAHA.... how did you know what I was thinking? Gattison was literally the first name that I thought of when they asked the question. I was surprised when both Eric and Steph seemed a little confused by Dell's mention of Gattison.
LamarMatic7

Post#51 » by LamarMatic7 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:24 am

fatlever wrote:

HAHA.... how did you know what I was thinking? Gattison was literally the first name that I thought of when they asked the question. I was surprised when both Eric and Steph seemed a little confused by Dell's mention of Gattison.

haha, yes!!!! same name I thought of first. if I had to pin point it to an actual post or moment, I couldn't do it, but I just feel like you've expressed a liking of Gattison on the board beforehand.
InProblematique
Sophomore
And1: 48

Post#52 » by InProblematique » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:24 am

During that 30 point blowout against Chicago, he sounded pretty good. I had hopes he was turning the corner.

Since Batum's explosion, it's pretty clear he still has a problem holding his load in for even the most marginally impressive fade away jumpers/driving lay-ups.

He's simply not fit to be in an NBA broadcasting booth. Give Stephanie play-by-play and let Dell do the color. Hell, bring back Uncle Steve. They have to do something.

Our broadcasts are pretty much impossible to listen to, to the point where I either listen to Steve on radio or find the away stream. Inexcusable.
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 562

Post#53 » by Walt Cronkite » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:33 pm

I like to think he's a genius playing an over the top character.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#54 » by BigSlam » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:49 pm

fatlever wrote:

HAHA.... how did you know what I was thinking? .

Because you two are such a beautiful couple?

I imagine you also finish each other's sentences.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
B B M F 'ers
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,771

Post#55 » by fatlever » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:39 pm

Slam, you were always my first love.
LamarMatic7

Post#56 » by LamarMatic7 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:50 pm

I always knew that I'm simply a Monica Geller-like young bimbo for Fats. **** Slam.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,440

Post#57 » by JDR720 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:58 pm

should send him down to the D-League
vorbis
Veteran
And1: 683

Post#58 » by vorbis » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:26 pm

I think Stephanie is improving night after night. I felt like the first quarter of the Blazers game was the best she and the whole team had been... but then Eric gets all "dipsy-duuuuuu" on the game and all of a sudden nobody's in rhythm anymore. ugh. I do think Eric is really prepared and has some interesting information within the game, but man he grates on me. it's not just his really outsized enthusiasm, which I honestly think could work with a different announcer. he falls back on rampant clichés way too often, and really overstates the importance of plays and aspects of the game in general. I'd prefer anyone else.
LamarMatic7

Post#59 » by LamarMatic7 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:42 pm

vorbis wrote:ugh. I do think Eric is really prepared and has some interesting information within the game.

I guess I'm just too nice of a guy since I've started to accept him as our announcer. And this is a big reason why. A basketball history freak like me just appreciates the fact that an announcer can (or at least is prepared to) name players from the 80s and 70s and where they went to college or stuff like that.

And it makes sense that he can. I've seen him do side-line reporting for MJ's Bulls.

But, yeah, the "dipsy-doos" still bother me a bit.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,221

Post#60 » by Snidely FC » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:47 pm

Anyone catch the exchange last night's NYK game Collins made some comment about Steph & Dell taking a siesta while he was looking into something, and Steph said, "I beg to differ," and Dell jumped on him too, both asserting that they never take their focus off the game for one second once it begins, they both sounded pretty ticked off. Chilly wind for a minute there.

Return to Charlotte Hornets