ImageImage

The Okafor Suddenly Sucks Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

spectre_
Lead Assistant
And1: 15

Post#41 » by spectre_ » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:12 pm

Well, technically Nazr is "better" in that he knows where and how to get into position and keep himself in the offense, but Mek is WAY better defensively. IMO what Nazr is better at is a learned thing and something Mek should have been learning from the beginning.

So you could say potential.

I'ts just griped my butt for years that we didn't invest what it will take to make Mek into all he should be. Yao and now Dwight got Ewing, Bynum has Kareem. Up til this year Mek's had John Freaking Blair Bickerstaff.

I'd love to know what/how Mokeski is doing with Mek.
RaptorJ wrote:they (Bobcats' fans) seem to be some of the least intelligent posters on RealGM from some of the trash they say.

Irony
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 618

Post#42 » by Walt Cronkite » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:40 pm

Oh, okay, I thought maybe that's what you were saying.

Good point.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,096

Post#43 » by fatlever » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:51 pm

i have a strange feeling that the bobcats will still give mek the chance to sign the same contract they offered him before the season. in good faith, i dont think they will reduce the offer. they thought mek was worth 12 mil before the season. he hasnt lost skill or anything. he is just in a funk, which can be corrected, but he's shown that he certainly isnt ready or will ever be ready to become a max player.

i want mek and nazr playing more minutes together, more for the long term benefit of wallace than anything. i like wallace playing pf for 20 or so minutes a game.... not 40. he gives up too much size and i fear the pounding he takes will wear him down too fast.

the rotation that ham suggested is what i would like to see.

the offense as a whole seems to function better with nazr. he plays more in the high post which opens up the baseline for wallace. he's a better passer which lets us run the offense through him and he can hit wallace and jrich for back door cuts (shame herrmann isnt still around). and he can hit that ft jumper, which is what i have been screaming for mek to practice and practice. he is also better at setting screens, something mek could improve, although mek is superior at rolling off the screen to the basket. neither player has particularly soft hands as they both fumble a lot of passes. nazr is a little more aggressive offensively, which sometimes kinda makes me cringe... but hell he put up 19 shots last night and he has found a way to get shots up and get the ball in the paint, again, something mek has trouble with. obviously its not ALL the pgs fault. nazr does a much much better job of getting open making it easier for the pgs to decide to give him the ball. lastly, okafor is the better running the floor.

defensively, mek creates more havoc... steals, blocks etc... neither player does a great job of rotating to stop driving guards (compounded by wallace at pf who is terrible at rotating to stop penetration). nazr seems to be better at boxing out for boards, while mek has a better knack of coming up with boards in traffic and is the better offensive rebounder.

i'm really hoping that mek will take this chance to learn a lot from nazr. he's never had a big man tutor (on the floor) that could teach him like nazr can. the areas that nazr is good are a lot of the areas that mek needs improvement. its never too late to have a mentor.
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by Walt Cronkite » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:06 pm

fatlever wrote:i have a strange feeling that the bobcats will still give mek the chance to sign the same contract they offered him before the season. in good faith, i dont think they will reduce the offer. they thought mek was worth 12 mil before the season. he hasnt lost skill or anything. he is just in a funk, which can be corrected, but he's shown that he certainly isnt ready or will ever be ready to become a max player.

I'm not so sure about this, I kinda hope we cheat him out of a mil or so, but I also expect him to improve over the 2nd half. Assuming Emeka DOESN'T stay in this slump I think it would be a good strategy for chemistry's sake.

fatlever wrote:i want mek and nazr playing more minutes together, more for the long term benefit of wallace than anything. i like wallace playing pf for 20 or so minutes a game.... not 40. he gives up too much size and i fear the pounding he takes will wear him down too fast.

the rotation that ham suggested is what i would like to see.

Also agree. Motion passed, let's be sure to send Sam the memo before tonight.

Great breakdown Fats. Two paragraphs! Can you imagine writing 2 paragraphs of analysis about our big man situation 2 months ago?

i'm really hoping that mek will take this chance to learn a lot from nazr. he's never had a big man tutor (on the floor) that could teach him like nazr can. the areas that nazr is good are a lot of the areas that mek needs improvement. its never too late to have a mentor.

Me too, and this is one of the reason's the sulking has me worried. If it's because of the slump, fine. But if it's because he feels like he's being replaced or worse, this is problematic. I really hope Okafor tries to learn more than a thing or two from Mohammed, I imagine that's one of the reasons we traded for a vet big in the first place.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,096

Post#45 » by fatlever » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:17 pm

Walt Cronkite wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
Me too, and this is one of the reason's the sulking has me worried. If it's because of the slump, fine. But if it's because he feels like he's being replaced or worse, this is problematic. I really hope Okafor tries to learn more than a thing or two from Mohammed, I imagine that's one of the reasons we traded for a vet big in the first place.

this is the perfect big man to mentor mek. nazr isnt looking to replace mek. he isnt looking to make a name for himself. he isnt looking for a big money deal. he just wants to play some ball and share his knowledge. mek is a smart dude, who loves to learn. i cant imagine he will not take advantage of this situation in the long run.

as for the big man write up at the beginning of the season....

primoz sucks. play okafor.

all i needed was two sentences. :D
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by Walt Cronkite » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:46 pm

I think the Mekka situation is another situation where a veteran coach would've done wonders. Avery Johnson swaps Diop and Dampier quite often, perhaps Okafor needs to come off of the bench until he earns the start?
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by Walt Cronkite » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:01 pm

Bowens wrote:Okafor sucks. And see, I'm not the only one who believes that. In fact, I didn't even start this thread!

:lift:

Your turn, Mr. Con-kite :reporter:

Still waiting for your response, Blowens.
Bowens
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 1

Post#48 » by Bowens » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:38 pm

Walt Cronkite wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Still waiting for your response, Blowens.

Oy, you give me a headache with all of your irrelvant stats. It's like you giving JRich a hammer for starting the game on fire, but totally disregard the 1 for 20 or whatever ghastly shooting numbers it was for the rest of the game.

(Notice how in the other thread I spoke about GAME ON THE LINE situations)

You on the other hand, focus on garbage time situations.

You know where I stand on Okafor, I don't even want him back at all. Trade him to the Nets for Sean Williams.
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by Walt Cronkite » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:26 pm

Okay, so you are completely incapable of having intellectual debate. You hold the distinction of becoming the first person I've ever added to the ignore list.
therebirth
Bench Warmer
And1: 61

Post#50 » by therebirth » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:21 pm

fatlever

I completely disagree that this organization will give Okafor $12m if he continues to play the way he is now. Maybe that would have been the case when Bernie was in charge but not now. Not with mj in charge. I guarantee you that.
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by Walt Cronkite » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:46 pm

We don't really have much evidence to go buy, but it's a message board so guarantee away:)
therebirth
Bench Warmer

Post#52 » by therebirth » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:28 am

I am willing to bet everything I have that if Okafor continues to be as bad as he has been he wont get offered anything close to $12m. Maybe Bernie would have because he drafted him and probably still feels loyalty towards him. Now if he wakes up and starts playing like before then that would be a different story.
The curse of Higgins!
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by Walt Cronkite » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:16 am

Sorry, I believe you and I'll remember it. He's looked pretty nice tonight to me, so maybe he's out of the slump?
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by Walt Cronkite » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:33 am

I wonder how Bowser enjoys his crow...
therebirth
Bench Warmer

Post#55 » by therebirth » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:55 am

walt

Lets hope so.
The curse of Higgins!
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by Walt Cronkite » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:13 am

Let's hope so for the sake of having two good bigs and less ridiculous "the sky is falling" posts on the board.
Catmando
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#57 » by Catmando » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:49 am

Okafor didn't look so bad against the Pistons tonite. I'm with Walt and Spectre. I like Okafor and have seen enough to value his skills and potential on a winning team. I want him to succeed in Charlotte, not somewhere else. I'm a long ways from giving him up.

When I go to the Arena and I see Emeka Okafor. I think "Bobcat Center."
Bowens
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 1

Post#58 » by Bowens » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:15 pm

Walt Cronkite wrote:Okay, so you are completely incapable of having intellectual debate. You hold the distinction of becoming the first person I've ever added to the ignore list.

Thank God, I'd rather talk to myself than have an "intellectual" debate with someone who gave JRich a hammer over Nazr in the Cavs game. JRich shot 7 for 26 and went 1 for his last 19!!!!

I mean seriously dude, check yourself. Actually, you might want to put yourself on ignore.

Return to Charlotte Hornets