ImageImage

Wanted: One Lock down wing defender

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

doc.end
General Manager
And1: 191

Post#41 » by doc.end » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:01 pm

CarolinaCash wrote:Nazzy for Jereome James and Mardy Collins? Hell no I wouldn't do that as a bobcat fan.......J

+1
I prefer to keep Nazr for a while. It's refreshing to have some big men, not only Okafor.
doc.end
General Manager
And1: 191

Post#42 » by doc.end » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:49 pm

BigSlam wrote:1. While he has been ok, Nazzy is FAR from a long term solution for us. Heck, our coach even has hesitations about playing him with EO50!!

Well I don't want to argue, Nazr looks like a quite very good mid term solution to me so far, but come on Slam don't use what Vincent did or didn't do as an argument, please Because I'm afraid later on none will be sure if you are serious or joking :wink:
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#43 » by Rich4114 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:39 am

Walt Cronkite wrote:Artest would be SICK! Felton/Jrich/Wallace/Artest/Okafor

I actually wouldn't mind Artest, but there's so much damn risk that comes along with him. It's possible that him playing for MJ could ease some of that, but what we're lacking is a punch you in the mouth defender who can make this team want it a little more. I just think it's too risky to go after him and give up something valuable.

I say for a lock down defender, Dudley can be that guy. That was sort of his role in college and he's been good so far in the NBA. It sucks that SV keeps ruining his confidence with how he plays him though. With the right coaching, training, etc. this guy can be our lock down defender eventually.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,502

Post#44 » by Ballings7 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:44 am

Just something more on Mardy Collins... while he didn't play that well earlier this season, he was also playing on a bad ankle then. I actually didn't know that till yesterday.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,853

Post#45 » by floppymoose » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:37 pm

Walt Cronkite wrote:b]GSW: Mickael Pietrus (1 year 3.4m) or Matt Barnes (1 year 3m)[/b]

Neither of these guys has played as well as last season and they're both playing for their qualifying offer. I think GS would prefer to keep them and resign whichever they liked more, but maybe we could get one of them for a similar dead as Khryapa. Barnes is a better defender against 3s and in the Warriors system he plays a lot against 4s, where as Pietrus is a better defender against 2s than 3s.

Pietrus is a free agent this offseason (unrestricted) and will not be coming back to GS unless literally no one wants him at any price.

You can do better but at least he does fit the minimum requirement of being a good perimeter defender. This season he's been getting his hands on the ball a lot when his man is dribbling. His hands are lightning fast, as is his first step. He can throw down about as well as Gerald. :o But he is dumb as a rock, truly. However if you want someone cheap, he's your guy.
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 562

Post#46 » by Walt Cronkite » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:53 pm

He's pretty young, no chance of "getting it" and becoming a lock down guy?
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,853

Post#47 » by floppymoose » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:58 am

I definitely think he has a chance on the defensive end. I don't think he will ever be a natural on the offensive end, but he has his uses there, like finishing backdoor plays, etc.
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by Walt Cronkite » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:53 pm

We're looking for a Quintin Ross type of guy. Anything on offense is a plus, lockdown defender potential is a requisite.
ClipperDomination
Veteran
And1: 2

Post#49 » by ClipperDomination » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:27 am

Walt Cronkite wrote:We're looking for a Quintin Ross type of guy. Anything on offense is a plus, lockdown defender potential is a requisite.

When I first saw the title to this thread, I wondered if you guys would be interested in Q-Ross. We may like some of the young talent you have to get him to Charlotte.
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by Walt Cronkite » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:49 am

Please tell me "may" was intentional pun
spectre_
Lead Assistant
And1: 15

Post#51 » by spectre_ » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:11 pm

ClipperDomination wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

When I first saw the title to this thread, I wondered if you guys would be interested in Q-Ross. We may like some of the young talent you have to get him to Charlotte.

What is his deal...looks like he's UFA after this season? Just going by last night he'd look to be a great acquisition.
RaptorJ wrote:they (Bobcats' fans) seem to be some of the least intelligent posters on RealGM from some of the trash they say.

Irony
Bowens
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 1

Post#52 » by Bowens » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:30 pm

spectre_ wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

What is his deal...looks like he's UFA after this season? Just going by last night he'd look to be a great acquisition.

The problem is next season how much playing time would he get with Ammo coming back, and we still have Carroll. Next year the priority should be PG and PF.
spectre_
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by spectre_ » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:46 pm

Bowens wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
The problem is next season how much playing time would he get with Ammo coming back, and we still have Carroll. Next year the priority should be PG and PF.

Ultimately IMO one should be traded to help balance out the roster. Regardless, the way we play...Crash @ 4, JSWish @ 3...we're pretty weak at the 2 (unlike some I consider Felton a 1) with basically Hammer and that's it. Trying to be nice...defense isn't exactly his strong suit. Even if we went with a more conventional lineup we're still talking about Felton and JSwish being our strongest 1/2 defensively...and that's nothing to brag about.

We HAVE to insert some defense into this lineup, esp. along the perimeter (you've mentioned our pitiful perimeter D countless times and you've been spot on). Last night we had a hard time stopping a team decimated by injury, and it wasn't because we couldn't score...we couldn't stop them.

It's not like we can't do more than one thing...picking up a guy like Ross (not advocating for him...example) should only cost minimal assets. After watching teams like Portland and Boston in prior offseasons, filling most of our needs this summer shouldn't be too much of a stretch.
RaptorJ wrote:they (Bobcats' fans) seem to be some of the least intelligent posters on RealGM from some of the trash they say.

Irony
Bowens
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 1

Post#54 » by Bowens » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:19 pm

spectre_ wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Ultimately IMO one should be traded to help balance out the roster. Regardless, the way we play...Crash @ 4, JSWish @ 3...we're pretty weak at the 2 (unlike some I consider Felton a 1) with basically Hammer and that's it. Trying to be nice...defense isn't exactly his strong suit. Even if we went with a more conventional lineup we're still talking about Felton and JSwish being our strongest 1/2 defensively...and that's nothing to brag about.

We HAVE to insert some defense into this lineup, esp. along the perimeter (you've mentioned our pitiful perimeter D countless times and you've been spot on). Last night we had a hard time stopping a team decimated by injury, and it wasn't because we couldn't score...we couldn't stop them.

It's not like we can't do more than one thing...picking up a guy like Ross (not advocating for him...example) should only cost minimal assets. After watching teams like Portland and Boston in prior offseasons, filling most of our needs this summer shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Problem is getting rid of Carroll and his new long term contract. Hello Isiah? As for Ammo, I'm very curious to see what he can do next season. If he tanks, then we let him walk at the end of the season. My preference is definitely Ammo over Carroll for next year. But keeping both, like you said give us an imbalanced roster. I agree with that 100%.

So if we can somehow find a taker for Carroll, then I'm game for going after someone like Ross. We definitely need defense on the perimeter cause right now our bigs are facing an onslaught of opposing players charging into the lane unchecked.

But like I said previously, our priorities lie in PG and PF. Those 2 spots must be addressed first. Ideally it would be nice if we can get a PG in here that can apply pressure and at least slow down the opposing teams point.

And Crash cannot play the 4 full time. We need a quick tall PF who can rotate quick enough and cut off that baseline. Time and time again we allow the other team to go baseline and where he has a clear lane to make a pass to a teammate cutting down the lane. That should not happen. But it does because we're slow to rotate and on the opposite side of the court, someone is letting their man beat them into the paint for an easy catch and layup.

Then we have the problem where the opposing guards are merrily prancing on into the lane because JRich/Felton/McMinus/Carroll become human turnstiles. I mean there is no slow-down whatsoever and that kills our bigs.

Also our zone defense is the worst I have ever seen. Whenever we play a team with a good point guard, we're sunk. 80 year old Cassell was having his way with us and if they had a healthy team, Maggette and Kaman probably would have lit us up.
spectre_
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by spectre_ » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:00 pm

We see things pretty much the same (even about Crash @ 4).

But like I said previously, our priorities lie in PG and PF. Those 2 spots must be addressed first. Ideally it would be nice if we can get a PG in here that can apply pressure and at least slow down the opposing teams point.

Ah, ok...I wasn't saying a wing defender was THE priority, but A priority.

That would be this thread. I agree with most that a more mobile PF & a PG are a bigger need...just like to do more than that this offseason, esp. since I don't imagine a Ross type would cost us that much.

So far as my preference between Ammo & Hammer, before this preseason I'd rather have kept Hammer easily...right now I'm willing to play them both and trade whoever brings the better return.

Also, Hammer's contract is supposedly front loaded; it'll get closer to value trade wise each year.

Irony
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#56 » by chrbal » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:55 pm

Well theres always Bobby Jones. The Grizzlies didn't sign him after the 2nd 10 day expired.
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by Walt Cronkite » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:09 pm

Do it, sign Jones
ClipperDomination
Veteran
And1: 2

Post#58 » by ClipperDomination » Mon Feb 4, 2008 12:59 am

Well Ross is a UFA after the season, but since no teams really no his under-the-radar game, I don't expect him to go elsewhere.

Return to Charlotte Hornets