Can I Play Now?
14%

Total votes: 14

StitchJones
Senior
And1: 233

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: Noah Vonleh 

Post#421 » by StitchJones » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:28 am

I'm really concerned about what Bucher is reporting at the end of this segment. Vonleh's ability to be special lies in him playing power forward. As a small forward he is Marvin Williams. Why is it that 6-10 guys nowadays all think they are Lebron James? Hopefully Clifford, Jordan and others make him see the light.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2146 ... te-hornets
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#422 » by BlackOutBuzz » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:35 am

Everybody wants to play a position down it seems, hell Andre Drummond said he wanted to be a Durant-esque 3. I'm not concerned about it TBH, he'll realize it soon enough.

Sent from my SM-G900V using RealGM Forums mobile app
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#423 » by TheKingofSting » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:00 am

He'll get it or either bust out of the league.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Post#424 » by Elden Payton » Fri Aug 1, 2014 1:24 am

TheKingofSting wrote:He'll get it or either bust out of the league.

I'd hope that he realises it before he's out of the league.

Could be a more talented Mullens...
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#425 » by TheKingofSting » Fri Aug 1, 2014 7:04 am

Hopefully he takes to coaching and I think they will work it out of him.

LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,592

Post#426 » by LofJ » Fri Aug 1, 2014 12:42 pm

Did you guys actually watch the summer league games? He barely played on the perimeter at all, he spent most of his time on the block and under the basket. He grew up playing small forward, so it's easy to understand why he would talk about his abilities on the perimter. In an interview he was asked about the one thing he wanted to get better at and his answer was blocking shots. That's not something that someone who is in love with the idea of playing on the perimeter would say.

That said in today's league it's important for power forwards to have some perimeter skills, so it's a good thing that he has experince playing as a small forward in high school. He has some work to do developing his touch around the basket, but for someone who hasn't played as a big for very long his footwork is already pretty impressive. You guys are worrying about a bunch of nothing.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,212

Post#427 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Aug 1, 2014 1:56 pm

LofJ wrote:Did you guys actually watch the summer league games? He barely played on the perimeter at all, he spent most of his time on the block and under the basket. He grew up playing small forward, so it's easy to understand why he would talk about his abilities on the perimter. In an interview he was asked about the one thing he wanted to get better at and his answer was blocking shots. That's not something that someone who is in love with the idea of playing on the perimeter would say.

That said in today's league it's important for power forwards to have some perimeter skills, so it's a good thing that he has experince playing as a small forward in high school. He has some work to do developing his touch around the basket, but for someone who hasn't played as a big for very long his footwork is already pretty impressive. You guys are worrying about a bunch of nothing.

I thought he was a guard in high school.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
LofJ
RealGM

Post#428 » by LofJ » Fri Aug 1, 2014 2:02 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
LofJ wrote:Did you guys actually watch the summer league games? He barely played on the perimeter at all, he spent most of his time on the block and under the basket. He grew up playing small forward, so it's easy to understand why he would talk about his abilities on the perimter. In an interview he was asked about the one thing he wanted to get better at and his answer was blocking shots. That's not something that someone who is in love with the idea of playing on the perimeter would say.

I remember reading he played as a point forward.
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#429 » by Eoghan » Fri Aug 1, 2014 5:17 pm

LofJ wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

I thought he was point guard/coach/manager/golf captain
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,755

Post#430 » by yosemiteben » Sun Aug 3, 2014 5:30 am

BrotherDave wrote:
LofJ wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

I thought he was point guard/coach/manager/golf captain

Heard he was the ringer for the debate team.
EwingSweatsALot
Veteran
And1: 919

Post#431 » by EwingSweatsALot » Sun Aug 3, 2014 10:32 pm

[instagram]http://instagram.com/p/rPo7iUsTd1/[/instagram]
LofJ
RealGM

Post#432 » by LofJ » Mon Aug 4, 2014 1:33 am

I figured Vonleh would go for 11 once we signed Lance.
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#433 » by TheKingofSting » Mon Aug 4, 2014 5:34 am

Noah looks pretty good in that #11.

Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,585

Post#434 » by Hornet Mania » Mon Aug 4, 2014 8:34 am

That kid is going to be huge after a year in the weight room, he doesn't have the super-skinny arms coming in like Anthony Davis/MKG did. Massive hands too. With so many teams in love with "measurables" I continue to be surprised Vonleh fell all the way to 9.
Cheapsuits
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#435 » by Cheapsuits » Mon Aug 4, 2014 4:17 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:That kid is going to be huge after a year in the weight room, he doesn't have the super-skinny arms coming in like Anthony Davis/MKG did. Massive hands too. With so many teams in love with "measurables" I continue to be surprised Vonleh fell all the way to 9.

He kinda reminds me of Dwight Howard as far as body comparison, but he seems to be ahead of Dwight at that age.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,430

Post#436 » by JDR720 » Mon Aug 4, 2014 7:59 pm

amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,368

Post#437 » by amcoolio » Tue Aug 5, 2014 1:19 am

I had a dream last night that Vonleh filled his body out throughout the season and became Dwight Howard with a jumpshot. That would be nice.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,215

Post#438 » by Snidely FC » Tue Aug 5, 2014 11:34 am

@amcoolio let's get him in that restaurant of your's! The menu looks great and would be sure to fill him out!

But seriously, isn't the difference that Dwight Howard is two inches taller, making him a true center?
I'm hoping at only 18 Vonleh grows two more inches and becomes a real center, rather than one of today's modern stretch 4s.
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#439 » by LamarMatic7 » Tue Aug 5, 2014 11:42 am

Snidely FC wrote:Let's get him in that restaurant of your's amcoolio. The menu looks great and would be sure to fill him out!

But seriously, isn't the difference that Dwight Howard is two inches taller, making him a true center?
I'm hoping at only 18 Vonleh grows two more inches and becomes a real center, rather than one of today's modern stretch 4s.

Is he really two inches shorter than Dwight? I thought that Noah is about 6'9 and a half, while Dwight just can't be taller than 6'10 and a bit.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,215

Post#440 » by Snidely FC » Tue Aug 5, 2014 12:19 pm

LamarMatic7 wrote:
Snidely FC wrote:Let's get him in that restaurant of your's amcoolio. The menu looks great and would be sure to fill him out!

Is he really two inches shorter than Dwight? I thought that Noah is about 6'9 and a half, while Dwight just can't be taller than 6'10 and a bit.

You are correct. In DraftExpress's '04 precamp measurements, Dwight was 6'9 without shoes, 6'10.25 w/shoes, with a 7'4.5" wingspan. Vonleh this year wa 6'8 wo/shoes, 6'9.5 w/shoes, 7.425 wingspan. So just an inch shorter.
I was going by eye test from seeing Vonleh in SL huddles dwarfed by Zeller and Ewing (haha!), and it made me feel surprised he didn't look taller. He's got the wingspan though.
Still, I hope he doesn't fade to the 3 line early in his career, he looked best when rebounding and shotblocking.

Return to Charlotte Hornets