Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,343

Re: Draft Day 2023 

Post#461 » by Rich4114 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:54 pm

Robot Rock wrote:
Rich4114 wrote:
Robot Rock wrote:
Objectively, Mitch is worse than Rich Cho. Cho was an idiot who was way out of his league, but it seemed people knew it. They conveniently ignore Mitch's colossal ineptitude.

Now, they'll call that trolling, too, since it's not blindly optimistic and it came from me.

My favorite Cho memory was when he accidentally introduced Dwayne Bacon as Dwayne Wade in the presser

Only thing more pathetic than this team's post-Bob Bass GM lineup, is its ownership history.

While there have still been a few blunders, Mitch has been light years better at drafting than any previous GM in the Hornets 2.0 years. Bob Bass was elite though and who knows if we’ll ever get a GM as good as him again. RIP
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#462 » by UNCNYC » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:18 pm

Rich4114 wrote:
Robot Rock wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:Judging by Mitch's comments last night, we probably don't want him speaking

Objectively, Mitch is worse than Rich Cho. Cho was an idiot who was way out of his league, but it seemed people knew it. They conveniently ignore Mitch's colossal ineptitude.

Now, they'll call that trolling, too, since it's not blindly optimistic and it came from me.

My favorite Cho memory was when he accidentally introduced Dwayne Bacon as Dwayne Wade in the presser

I don't blame him. I would be like, man how ya'll gone fire me after I drafted

Michael Kidd Jordan
Cody Pippen
PJ Barkley
and
Dwyane Wade

for ya'll? lmaoooooooooo
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
Ozymandias
Freshman
And1: 19

Post#463 » by Ozymandias » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:33 pm

Rich4114 wrote:While there have still been a few blunders, Mitch has been light years better at drafting than any previous GM in the Hornets 2.0 years. Bob Bass was elite though and who knows if we’ll ever get a GM as good as him again. RIP

Bob Bass joined the Hornets in 1994 and while he was a great GM when it came to keeping the team competitive by getting good value through trades, his draft history with the Hornets is pretty spotty.

1994:
round 2, pick 38 - Darrin Hancock

1995:
round 1, pick 22 - George Zidek

1996:
round 1, pick 13 - Kobe Bryant (traded to LA Lakers)
round 1, pick 16 - Tony Delk
round 2, pick 44 - Malik Rose

1997:
No picks

1998:
round 1, pick 21 - Ricky Davis
round 2, pick 50 - Andrew Betts (traded to Indiana)

1999:
round 1, pick 3: Baron Davis
round 2, pick 43: Lee Nailon

2000:
round 1, pick 19: Jamaal Magloire

2001:
round 1, pick 16 - Kirk Haston

Baron Davis is the only star he hit on, but is also the only pick Bass had to make in the top 10. Ricky Davis and Jamaal Magloire had decent careers as role players which is good value for where they were taken.

But then you have guys like George Zidek? Kirk Haston? And I don't even need to talk about the Kobe Bryant trade that was made under Bass's tenure. It has become the most notorious trade in team history.

I think Mitch has done a better job of getting more value out of the draft.
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 993

Post#464 » by Robot Rock » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:04 pm

Kupchak has made three (3) good draft picks in 5 years:

- Devonte Graham
- LaMelo Ball
- Mark Williams

Jury is out on if that list can expand to four.
Robot Rock
Starter

Post#465 » by Robot Rock » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:05 pm

Also worth noting I wasn’t exclusively referring to Bob Bass’ draft history, but his overall body of work versus those who’ve followed him.
driveandkick
Pro Prospect
And1: 447

Post#466 » by driveandkick » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:20 pm

Robot Rock wrote:Kupchak has made three (3) good draft picks in 5 years:

- Devonte Graham
- LaMelo Ball
- Mark Williams

This is a bit unfair. Cody, Miles and PJ all also have to be considered good selections
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 14,143

Post#467 » by yosemiteben » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:43 pm

Robot Rock wrote:
LofJ wrote:
Robot Rock wrote:
I think passing on Scoot Henderson and calling the team monumentally stupid isn't pessimistic. It's realistic.

You seem pretty confident in your opinion, are you going to come back and eat crow if you're wrong?

Probably not, because I'll get banned for having a dissenting opinion. Softest mods I've ever seen in a forum.

To their credit, they don't silence every dissenting opinion. Just mine.

Should I eat crow for saying Miles was a stupid pick when SGA was on the board in 2018? Or that LaMelo was going to be a star and was the right pick in 2020? Or that Mark was going to be a solid C for years in 2022?

Anyway, Miller was EDITED: a fantastic :D :D :D :D pick.

If you have feedback to provide to the mod team, please feel free to provide feedback via PM and we will happily discuss with you. Next time I would suggest starting there.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#468 » by UNCNYC » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:20 pm

I think McDaniels and Nick were picks. Not trying to bash on anyone just I like those two players
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#469 » by UNCNYC » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:23 pm

Gradey Dick needs to hang out with VW so whenever someone ask who VW is, he can say, That's just my cover/wing man.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
Robot Rock
Starter

Post#470 » by Robot Rock » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:36 pm

driveandkick wrote:

- Devonte Graham
- LaMelo Ball
- Mark Williams

This is a bit unfair. Cody, Miles and PJ all also have to be considered good selections

Depends on what circumstances surrounded those picks. Miles was good for a couple years, then he turned into a monster. SGA wasn't chosen because we had Kemba. That was stupid, because I felt like Kemba wasn't going to be re-signed, and, sure enough, he wasn't. Similar vibe with LaMelo and Scoot now. If SGA weren't available, Miles is the fourth good pick, and if he weren't such a monster, he'd probably still make that cut for me.

Cody Martin? Meh. I value his defense and appreciate what that brings, but I think he's also overrated. MKG without the high pick. I like PJ too, but wouldn't call that one a huge hit. More of a hit than a miss, though -- which is more than can be said for a lot of Mitch's garbage selections (see: 2021, 2023).
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,697

Post#471 » by JMAC3 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:03 pm

Robot Rock wrote:
driveandkick wrote:

- Devonte Graham
- LaMelo Ball
- Mark Williams

Depends on what circumstances surrounded those picks. Miles was good for a couple years, then he turned into a monster. SGA wasn't chosen because we had Kemba. That was stupid, because I felt like Kemba wasn't going to be re-signed, and, sure enough, he wasn't. Similar vibe with LaMelo and Scoot now. If SGA weren't available, Miles is the fourth good pick, and if he weren't such a monster, he'd probably still make that cut for me.

Cody Martin? Meh. I value his defense and appreciate what that brings, but I think he's also overrated. MKG without the high pick. I like PJ too, but wouldn't call that one a huge hit. More of a hit than a miss, though -- which is more than can be said for a lot of Mitch's garbage selections (see: 2021, 2023).

Martin was a 2nd rounder, any rotation player there is a hit my man.
Same with PJ, getting a solid starter/rotation guy in the late lottery is what you want.
People act like just because we drafted SGA and traded him 2 mins later it makes it 10x worse.
Miles was a near all-star at 23/24 yrs old, at pick 12 that is also a hit.
You are not going to draft the best guy every single time.

If you try to hit on an allstar player every pick, you are going to have a lot more busts then hits.
Robot Rock
Starter

Post#472 » by Robot Rock » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:38 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
Robot Rock wrote:
driveandkick wrote:This is a bit unfair. Cody, Miles and PJ all also have to be considered good selections

Same with PJ, getting a solid starter/rotation guy in the late lottery is what you want.
People act like just because we drafted SGA and traded him 2 mins later it makes it 10x worse.

If you try to hit on an allstar player every pick, you are going to have a lot more busts then hits.

Seems like there might be an off-the-court issue that impacts my judgment of Miles. Couldn't remember what, though.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,697

Post#473 » by JMAC3 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:40 pm

Robot Rock wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
Robot Rock wrote:

Seems like there might be an off-the-court issue that impacts my judgment of Miles. Couldn't remember what, though.

So at age 25, you think it is decided? No matter what happens over the next 7-9 years?
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#474 » by Eoghan » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:57 pm

Rich4114 wrote:
Robot Rock wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:Judging by Mitch's comments last night, we probably don't want him speaking

I'll never forget his glorious table tennis skills. How that didn't translate to GM success more is unfathomable.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,409

Post#475 » by luciano-davidwesley » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:53 pm

BeesWax wrote:This will be a tough draft to grade for me. I believe we had some good picks and I believe we completely screwed one up. I think the best player, not value but player, we picked was at 27 and the second best was a second rounder. I think we would have been better served trading down and taking Dick and getting more assets if we were going to settle for a shooter then get the best one. Will be interesting to see how it plays out and I hope I am wrong about Miller. We started out with a D until our later picks and I would give it a B because they were A material but the 2 pick mess up carried a lot of weight.

Not getting a bit too dramatic about us choosing Miller over Scoot much? :lol:

NS Jr AND one of our second rounders better than Miller? :lol:

It looks like some are going to wish for Miller to fail so they can say I told you so.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 18,236

Post#476 » by Diop » Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:33 am

SWedd523 wrote:
driveandkick wrote:Am I just getting older or did that first round take way longer than usual?

I've been drinking for like 3 hours now, what is time?

i was so jealous reading this, really wanted to join you, but that would mean start drinking at 8am.

maybe one year :lol:
BeesWax
General Manager
And1: 1,660

Post#477 » by BeesWax » Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:00 am

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
BeesWax wrote:This will be a tough draft to grade for me. I believe we had some good picks and I believe we completely screwed one up. I think the best player, not value but player, we picked was at 27 and the second best was a second rounder. I think we would have been better served trading down and taking Dick and getting more assets if we were going to settle for a shooter then get the best one. Will be interesting to see how it plays out and I hope I am wrong about Miller. We started out with a D until our later picks and I would give it a B because they were A material but the 2 pick mess up carried a lot of weight.

It looks like some are going to wish for Miller to fail so they can say I told you so.

I would love for him to prove me and his numbers against good teams wrong.

Actually I would have liked Scoot or to trade down and get Grady Dick. If we wanted a shooter get the best one. I like the other two better because the have NBA level athletic ability and just had injuries or a tough freshman year. Both were more highly ranked but young prospects in the same class.
Spoiler:
vexco
Pro Prospect
And1: 191

Post#478 » by vexco » Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:36 am

BeesWax wrote:
luciano-davidwesley wrote:

I would love for him to prove me and his numbers against good teams wrong.

Actually I would have liked Scoot or to trade down and get Grady Dick. If we wanted a shooter get the best one. I like the other two better because the have NBA level athletic ability and just had injuries or a tough freshman year. Both were more highly ranked but young prospects in the same class.

Yeah, pretty dramatic take tbh. Yall acting like we just passed on prime D Rose.
mapquest me
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#479 » by UNCNYC » Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:19 pm

After looking at how the draft unfolded I think the only draft outcomes that would have given us an A would have been either

PICK 1 - Amen Thompson - trade back and get a future 1st
PICK 2 - Brice Sensabaugh
PICK 3 - Seth Lundy

SUMMER LEAGUE INVITE - Omari Moore

or

PICK 1 - Kobe Bufkin - Trade back and get a couple future 1st
PICK 2 - Brice Sensabaugh
PICK 3 - Jalen Wilson

SUMMER LEAGUE INVITE - Omari Moore, Craig Porter JR
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington