ImageImage

Over The Top: The James Borrego Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,749

Re: Borrego named head coach 

Post#61 » by MPM » Tue May 8, 2018 6:15 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:The lack of optimism on this board makes me think everyone here is an alcoholic.

After this past season i wouldnt blame you

*raises hand.
countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,320

Post#62 » by countryboi » Tue May 8, 2018 6:19 pm

I cant help but feel like we made the wrong choice.....
The Cut Podcast, An Hilarious barbershop style discussion podcast. Watch us on Youtube and listen to us on all major Podcast Platforms. https://linktr.ee/thecut_podcast
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,610

Post#63 » by HornetJail » Tue May 8, 2018 6:20 pm

SeanBobcats wrote:
fatlever wrote:https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2015/02/07/james-borrego-coach/

Borrego certainly took some influence from Jacque Vaughn. Like Vaughn, he is a quiet measured coach it seems. Aaron Gordon said after the game that Borrego would come into huddles and ask the team what they were seeing out there. This was something Vaughn had done in the past too, but the new voice brought some poignancy to it.

Gordon said Borrego was very encouraging from the sideline and trying to inject some more enthusiasm into the team. That was plainly seen as the bench would erupt even for the simplest plays. Tobias Harris said the team’s energy was at an all-time high.

“He acts pretty well,” Kyle O’Quinn said after the game Friday. “He talks low, but you can feel it. You can feel his energy. He wants to win just like us. If you know JB, you know how he speaks.”

Borrego does have that quiet fortitude about him as he paced the sideline. There was certainly a lot of chaos going on the floor, some that Borrego probably did not expect to deal with or even know how to handle as a first time head coach.

The fire within Borrego also exists too. He was whistling to get his player’s attention on the sideline and he certainly put an emphasis in his first meeting with the team and shootaround on defense and energy.

from 2015

Defense and energy. Maybe I'm wrong, but those two things are what rookies/young players struggle with. Sounds like a player development type guy to me, maybe we're going for the rebuild route?

reading way too deep into that haha. Besides, focusing on what young players are typically weak at shouldn't be specific to "rebuilding coaches". A good organization can field a competitive team while giving minutes to and developing young talent.

Probably not the best week to bring up Toronto as an example since LeBron wiped his ass with them, but look what they have done there. They have vets that led them to 59 wins, but the supporting cast is young and almost completely drafted and groomed by Toronto. Look at guys like OG, Siakam, Wright, Vleet, Poeltl, even Valanciunas is still improving. All those guys are good players. If they stay the course, they'll continue to win 50+ games till Lowry is too old, and DeRozan's getting up there, and by then their young guys will be developed and ready to compete themselves. They were a laughingstock of the league five years ago. Now they're competitive, have a front office and scouts with an eye for talent, and a staff that coaches them up into solid players.

If we can have that kind of transformation within the organization, I'll be happy. We're not winning any championships, but we'll have a team we can be proud of.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,526

Post#64 » by Hornet Mania » Tue May 8, 2018 7:07 pm

Brad Stevens also emphasizes defense and talks about energy constantly, just saying.

I have no idea if Borrego is any good, and our track record definitely makes me cautious about the whole thing, but I can't really form a firm opinion about him yet. Not every coach who emphasizes (or has a rep for) defense is as stuck in 09 as Cliff. Rotations are another area that could make a big difference. Cliff could have probably hung on longer if he'd simply been more flexible with our lineups.

I'll least give Borrego a chance to show he's not a stick in the mud before I assume he's equivalent to Cliff.
Emhoward
Junior
And1: 406

Post#65 » by Emhoward » Tue May 8, 2018 7:24 pm

This feels like picking Clifford over Synder.
powerforward
Junior
And1: 59

Post#66 » by powerforward » Tue May 8, 2018 7:29 pm

good post- we have no way of knowing how good a hire this is. In fact I now tend to think they moves we make that I get excited about rarely work out (vonleh draft, hairston, batum trade, monk over mitchell) so while he is the least exciting prospect of the coaches we looked at, lets try to give the benefit of the doubt (despite the fact this franchise doesn't deserve it)

Hornet Mania wrote:Brad Stevens also emphasizes defense and talks about energy constantly, just saying.

I have no idea if Borrego is any good, and our track record definitely makes me cautious about the whole thing, but I can't really form a firm opinion about him yet. Not every coach who emphasizes (or has a rep for) defense is as stuck in 09 as Cliff. Rotations are another area that could make a big difference. Cliff could have probably hung on longer if he'd simply been more flexible with our lineups.

I'll least give Borrego a chance to show he's not a stick in the mud before I assume he's equivalent to Cliff.
powerforward
Junior
And1: 59

Post#67 » by powerforward » Tue May 8, 2018 7:30 pm

also, stevens and snyder are primarily defensive coaches. But both seem to put guys in the best position to succeed, this is what i am hoping for
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,346

Post#68 » by amcoolio » Tue May 8, 2018 7:39 pm

I trust Mitch. He interviewed everyone possible.

My 2 cents, I bet Larranega was too goofy for MJ but I wish we had gone with him.... he has higher boom potential, but probably higher bust potential as well.

I don’t know anything about this guy but he is young and been a part of a bunch of winning staffs. Doesn’t strike me as another Clifford so far from what I’ve read about him
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
amcoolio

Post#69 » by amcoolio » Tue May 8, 2018 7:39 pm

Emhoward wrote:This feels like picking Clifford over Synder.

We picked Dunlap over Snyder not Clifford
Emhoward
Junior
And1: 406

Post#70 » by Emhoward » Tue May 8, 2018 7:47 pm

amcoolio wrote:
Emhoward wrote:This feels like picking Clifford over Synder.

We picked Dunlap over Snyder not Clifford

Ooof
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#71 » by DY_nasty » Tue May 8, 2018 9:15 pm

oh you guys wanted the coke fiend now?
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,749

Post#72 » by MPM » Tue May 8, 2018 9:20 pm

Someone on the homepage just noted that Borrego looks like bizarro Brad Stevens. Good call.

Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,172

Post#73 » by Braggins » Tue May 8, 2018 9:23 pm

MPM wrote:Someone on the homepage just noted that Borrego looks like bizarro Brad Stevens. Good call.

Spoiler:

Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,221

Post#74 » by Rich4114 » Tue May 8, 2018 9:35 pm

Could JB’s relationship with Kawhi be a factor here?
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,139

Post#75 » by SOUL » Tue May 8, 2018 9:52 pm

FWIW, and it's not like we've had a slew of great coaches lately (Vaughn, Borrego, Skiles, Vogel), he was the least frustrating coach we've had the last 4-5 years and most people were fine with bringing him back when he did coach us, but also didn't lose too much sleep when he left. I think it's good that he went back with Pop for a bit because I'm sure the days with Jacque Vaughn might've caused some damage. :lol:

He's not an exciting hire, but he's a pretty damn decent coach. I remember being a fan of most of his lineups, but we also didn't have him for a full season so I can't speak for anything but the 30 games he coached.
amcoolio

Post#76 » by amcoolio » Tue May 8, 2018 9:56 pm

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273705

Spurs fans think highly of him. Its also odd to see the diehard spurs fans want Pop and Kawai gone
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,739

Post#77 » by fatlever » Tue May 8, 2018 10:14 pm

MPM wrote:Someone on the homepage just noted that Borrego looks like bizarro Brad Stevens. Good call.

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,739

Post#78 » by fatlever » Tue May 8, 2018 10:17 pm

what was the spurs coaching hierarchy last year?
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,743

Post#79 » by yosemiteben » Tue May 8, 2018 10:21 pm

amcoolio wrote:http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273705

Spurs fans think highly of him. Its also odd to see the diehard spurs fans want Pop and Kawai gone

Yeah they hate Pop over there.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#80 » by TheKingofSting » Tue May 8, 2018 10:46 pm

Braggins wrote:
Braggins wrote: I'm guessing we just hired the Steve Clifford of the Popovich coaching tree.

From his wiki page. "Borrego began in 2003 his career in professional basketball with the San Antonio Spurs, starting as an assistant video coordinator in the summer of 2003"

Totally giving me Clifford vibes. I admit that I know nothing about this guy and have no idea if he is good or bad, but it feels like we just hired another long time assistant who was never going to get a head coaching gig unless we hired them...

Didn't Spo get his foot in the door in the NBA in some similar capacity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential

Return to Charlotte Hornets