14%

Total votes: 14

Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: Noah Vonleh 

Post#81 » by Elden Payton » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:35 am

RichBoy923 wrote:
freakon0mics wrote:Love it. I had a feeling one of the top 8 would fall. I was hoping it was Randle or Vonleh, but hoping more for Randle. Good that we got him though and I still like the pick. A young talented big men that can already be a dominate rebounder is rare. I think right from the start we can expect to see 10+ rebounds when given a decent amount of minutes. Not too mention his ability to shoot from three. He reminds me of Horace Grant/Al Horford but with the ability to step out and shoot the three.

Don't think he's close to Horford when it comes to the mid-range game quite yet. Hordford's got that elbow shot down pat.

Horford didn't have that shot coming out of Florida if my memory serves me correct.
RichBoy923
Senior
And1: 22

Post#82 » by RichBoy923 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:38 am

Sik Infant wrote:
RichBoy923 wrote:
freakon0mics wrote:Love it. I had a feeling one of the top 8 would fall. I was hoping it was Randle or Vonleh, but hoping more for Randle. Good that we got him though and I still like the pick. A young talented big men that can already be a dominate rebounder is rare. I think right from the start we can expect to see 10+ rebounds when given a decent amount of minutes. Not too mention his ability to shoot from three. He reminds me of Horace Grant/Al Horford but with the ability to step out and shoot the three.

Don't think he's close to Horford when it comes to the mid-range game quite yet. Hordford's got that elbow shot down pat.

Horford didn't have that shot coming out of Florida if my memory serves me correct.

Not to the extend that he does today but he definitely had a little mid-range game going.
Elden Payton
RealGM

Post#83 » by Elden Payton » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:41 am

RichBoy923 wrote:
Sik Infant wrote:
RichBoy923 wrote:

Not to the extend that he does today but he definitely had a little mid-range game going.

Vonleh is much better at the same age, horford came out as a junior.

Vonleh has a slow release but great mechanics.
chabber
Veteran
And1: 826

Post#84 » by chabber » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:42 am

I wonder if we benefited from the teams over valuing individual and group work outs and that's why he fell.

Honestly I wanted a shooter so bad, I didn't even look at Vonleh tape cause I didn't think he'd drop. Didn't really check out Randle until a few days ago when I thought he had a chance to. Regarding Vonleh, I just went off of what Bro Dave said, some stuff I'd heard in Bill and Jalen's Podcast and that shot chart from Grantland.

After watching his dx video, he's freaking smooth. Gets his shot off pretty good. Doesn't throw up junk shots like Randle. Rebounds like a man at 18 years old. I'm on the hype train now lol. We gotta fix the dropped balls though, can't go through that again with another player on this team.
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#85 » by Eoghan » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:48 am

He doesn't remind me of Horford at all. I think he's more of a less explosive Rasheed.
Elden Payton
RealGM

Post#86 » by Elden Payton » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:18 am

Some of his strengths after watching footage since we drafted him.

-Excellent length

-240lbs but looks like he can fit another 15-20 on his frame

-Catchers mitts for hands

-Can use either hand at the rim and goes both directions

-Good mechanics on shot (but slow release)

-Large strides which cover a lot of ground, looks slow because it looks like he's barely trying.

-Excellent timing on blocks, uses either hand on blocks.

-Anticipation on the passing lanes, leading to steals and forced TO's

-High intensity and motor, makes hustle plays.

-Good positioning on rebounds, can rebound from out of position also.

-boxes out (underrated aspect of bigs)
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,428

Post#87 » by JDR720 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:32 am

I dont think he is raw, just unrefined
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,211

Post#88 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:34 am

JDR720 wrote:I dont think he is raw, just unrefined

Thats being polite.

He is straight up raw, but with a ton of potential.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,418

Post#89 » by MasterIchiro » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:36 am

Bassman wrote:I FINALLY GOT MY GUY IN A CHARLOTTE DRAFT! It is Destiny!

The Hornets return, we get one of the best talents in the draft who falls into our lap!

I need a cigarette....

I immediately thought of you tonight at the Draft Party at Time Warner Arena. Lance is the other shoe (fingers crossed).
It has been written...
Elden Payton
RealGM

Post#90 » by Elden Payton » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:38 am

JDR720 wrote:I dont think he is raw, just unrefined

that's my angle and I'm sticking to it.
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 864

Post#91 » by KingCat » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:51 am

Wheres the Cho interview?
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#92 » by BlackOutBuzz » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:01 am

Noah Vonleh Conference Call Transcript from Hornets.com

(On his reaction to being selected by the Hornets)
“I was a little surprised because I didn’t work out for the Hornets so it was a little bit of a shock, but I’m happy and excited that they saw something in me.”

(On Charlotte)
“I know they are an up-and-coming organization in the NBA. They’ve got young guys like Kemba Walker, Cody Zeller, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Al Jefferson also, and a few other young guys. They’re an up-and-coming organization in the league. I know Michael Jordan is the head of everything over there. It’ll be nice to have him as a boss.”

(On the skills he can bring)
“I think rebounding right away. That is something that will definitely translate. I think I’m versatile – I can be a stretch forward, make jumpers, hit the threes. I play pretty well in the pick-and-roll. I can play pretty hard and do whatever it takes to win.”

(On not working out for the Hornets)
“My agent told me that the Hornets were interested in me but they didn’t think I was going to fall to nine. I think they were surprised but it all worked out pretty well.”

(On his relationship with Cody Zeller)
“I talked to him a bit every now and then. He helped me with the draft process so it was good to have him in my corner. He texted me, I saw his name pop up on my screen but my phone has been blowing up so I haven’t gotten the chance to text him back yet.”

(On his passing and ball-handling abilities)
“Growing up I was real versatile, I was playing like a point forward throughout high school. I didn’t get to do too much of that in college, which was a little bit of an adjustment. But that’s something I have always been able to do, handle the ball. I definitely want to be able to do that at the next level. In high school, I played point forward, taking the ball to the rim, pushing it even further down, so that’s something I can definitely do.”

(On reclassifying in order to go to college early)
“I re-classed in 2014 so I could jump back up to my original class and go to college early.”

(On playing for Tom Crean at Indiana)
“I think he used me pretty good to what he thought would help the team, where he thought I’d be best and help the team win. I adjusted pretty well to where he put me. I wouldn’t say it worked out because we didn’t make any tournaments, but he put me where he thought was best for the team.”

(On what fans can expect from him)
“Hard work and play. I’ve got a great work ethic and I will play hard from day one and try to make my way into the rotation. I bring a lot of energy to the floor.”

(On Al Jefferson)
“I’ve talked to Al Jefferson a couple times. He’s in the same agency I’m in so I’ve gotten to talk to him a few times, so it’ll definitely be great to play alongside him and learn some things about the league, how to go about myself in games and things like that. I think it’ll be pretty great to play on the court with Al.”
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
TheKingofSting2
Bench Warmer
And1: 457

Post#93 » by TheKingofSting2 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:04 am

I wanted to draft Randle but things would have had to fall perfectly for that to happen so this is the next best thing. We got our Chris Bosh on a cheap contract. This young man is the perfect fit playing alongside Big Al. I was so worried that Cho was going to leave him on the board. :cry:
mrknowitall215
RealGM
And1: 2,384

Post#94 » by mrknowitall215 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:08 am

I somewhat called this pick back in February too, because Vonleh is more Cho bait than Harris was, but I didn't see him falling to #9 after being hyped about up to the #3 pick in recent weeks

viewtopic.php?p=38579086#p38579086
TheKingofSting2
Bench Warmer

Post#95 » by TheKingofSting2 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:11 am

mrknowitall215 wrote:I somewhat called this pick back in February too, because Vonleh is more Cho bait than Harris was, but I didn't see him falling to #9 after being hyped about up to the #3 pick in recent weeks

viewtopic.php?p=38579086#p38579086

Young nearly fell to us (closer than I imagined), I would have loved to dangle Hendo out there to move up in position to grab him.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,426

Post#96 » by JMAC3 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:08 am

I know some people think this means the end of Zeller, but I actually like the idea of developing both of them. I think they could push each other to be great while splitting minutes at the 4. Also, think they compliment each other in the future with both having good size, skill and shooting. They could cause mismatch problems for people and give us good size and options if we do not resign Big Al down the line.

Also, probably means end of McRoberts, but that means more money to sign a big time wing player.
TheKingofSting2
Bench Warmer

Post#97 » by TheKingofSting2 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:14 am

I can visualize the conversation in "the war room" now.

Cho: "My computer says I must take Gary Harris."
MJ: "Do you understand that a top 5 pick is still on the board as BPA?"
Cho: "Yes but Vonleh didn't even workout for us and my smart computer doesn't have any info on whether or not he is nice!"
MJ: "Do you and the computer want to join Higgins?
Cho: "Vonleh it is!"
Elden Payton
RealGM

Post#98 » by Elden Payton » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:16 am

Zeller off the bench will give us a great dynamic P.A. (Post Alfense)
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,211

Post#99 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:17 am

I think SL will be telling. Zeller and Vonleh playing together in the front court, that will be interesting for sure. Hairston at SG as well.

Assuming we have just average PG play we should be pretty dominant in SL again this year
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Elden Payton
RealGM

Post#100 » by Elden Payton » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:18 am

We should sign Clarkson imo.

Vonleh/Hairston/Clarkson would be great.

Return to Charlotte Hornets