The Steve Clifford Thread 2.0 - Off the Cliff we go

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,555

Re: The Steve Clifford Thread 2.0 - Officially Fired 

Post#801 » by LofJ » Sun May 6, 2018 4:38 pm

316Hornets wrote:
LofJ wrote:We all know it was Dwight and he's Clifford's guy. One is gone, waiting on the other...

Yep, Howard has created locker room problems everywhere he goes it seems. I wouldn't be surprised if he did the same here. Good luck trading him though. Not many teams in the league have the cap space for Howard and the ones that do aren't going to give us much, if anything. There's a reason we traded a bum Plum and Marco for him.

MJ should just buy him out. Addition by subtraction, he's more or less a sunk cost anyway. But maybe Cuban will pay us back for the Chandler/Dampier trade and send us Matthews?
BeesWax
General Manager
And1: 1,660

Post#802 » by BeesWax » Sun May 6, 2018 4:58 pm

LofJ wrote:
316Hornets wrote:
LofJ wrote:We all know it was Dwight and he's Clifford's guy. One is gone, waiting on the other...

Yep, Howard has created locker room problems everywhere he goes it seems. I wouldn't be surprised if he did the same here. Good luck trading him though. Not many teams in the league have the cap space for Howard and the ones that do aren't going to give us much, if anything. There's a reason we traded a bum Plum and Marco for him.

MJ should just buy him out. Addition by subtraction, he's more or less a sunk cost anyway. But maybe Cuban will pay us back for the Chandler/Dampier trade and send us Matthews?

I would not buy him out. That is too much dead money. I think it is just as likely that us banging out head against the wall over and over with Cliff's inability to coach a functional offense could have caused locker room issues.
Spoiler:
stinger14
Starter
And1: 768

Post#803 » by stinger14 » Sun May 6, 2018 5:11 pm

If the much talked about trade on these boards happens where Kemba goes to the Cavs, maybe we also send Dwight and get back George Hill. With Kemba and Clarkson, they want need Hill.

Kemba and Dwight

For

Hill, JR Smith, Cedi Osman, and 8th pick
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#804 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sun May 6, 2018 5:30 pm

With Dwight the most likely thing at this point is either a buyout or a bad trade.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,171

Post#805 » by Braggins » Sun May 6, 2018 5:36 pm

jdm3 wrote:
LofJ wrote:
316Hornets wrote:

I would not buy him out. That is too much dead money. I think it is just as likely that us banging out head against the wall over and over with Cliff's inability to coach a functional offense could have caused locker room issues.

Buying him out is better than keeping him. I would try for something simple like Howard + a conditional 2nd in like 2020 for Wes Matthews. Cody is always injured and I'm totally ready to commit to Willy and Frank at center and more MKG/Batum at PF, so a wing like Wes that can shoot, has size, and can play a little defense, would fit quite nicely. They are both on expirings and Dallas doesn't really have any use for Wes at the moment. If we can't find a trade for Howard I'd definitely buy him out, though.
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#806 » by Eoghan » Mon May 7, 2018 2:06 am

I wouldn't buy him out. He's got a really nice smile so I'd just make him the organization's highest paid customer service representative. Maybe a ticket usher or something.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,184

Post#807 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon May 7, 2018 2:29 am

If anyone thinks hes going to get bought out i have some nice oceanside property in idaho id love to sell you
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,730

Post#808 » by fatlever » Thu May 24, 2018 5:26 pm

Read on Twitter
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#809 » by fatlever » Thu May 24, 2018 5:31 pm

lol

Read on Twitter
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,505

Post#810 » by Hornet Mania » Thu May 24, 2018 5:36 pm

Right on the money. What's the point of this move? Orlando just spinning their wheels.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,171

Post#811 » by Braggins » Thu May 24, 2018 6:09 pm

Clifford wants to be reunited with Biyombo.
countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,320

Post#812 » by countryboi » Thu May 24, 2018 6:41 pm

Braggins wrote:Clifford wants to be reunited with Biyombo.

he going to go to the magic just to bench him again.
The Cut Podcast, An Hilarious barbershop style discussion podcast. Watch us on Youtube and listen to us on all major Podcast Platforms. https://linktr.ee/thecut_podcast
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,605

Post#813 » by HornetJail » Thu May 24, 2018 7:13 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:Right on the money. What's the point of this move? Orlando just spinning their wheels.

this has been the case since the Dwight Howard trade
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
LofJ
RealGM

Post#814 » by LofJ » Thu May 24, 2018 8:12 pm

I don't know if I'm evil enough to hope that Orlando hires Clifford and then trades for Dwight, but it would be entertaining to see the predictable results.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,402

Post#815 » by MasterIchiro » Fri May 25, 2018 2:03 am

Magic have a horrible roster. It's like a demotion. But I insisted years ago, that if both Cho and Clifford lost their jobs, Clifford would find a head coaching job while everyone ignores Cho. Clifford has a long history in the league and he's well liked by players. I'd be happy for him. If someone hired Cho though, I'd do everything I can to uncover the strain of bud theyre smoking.
It has been written...
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,184

Post#816 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri May 25, 2018 5:27 am

Not sure why everyone, or most on here hate on Clifford. He was solid, more than solid compared to Dunlap, Vincent, even Browns stint. I hope he succeeds whereever he goes
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#817 » by DY_nasty » Fri May 25, 2018 5:40 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:Not sure why everyone, or most on here hate on Clifford. He was solid, more than solid compared to Dunlap, Vincent, even Browns stint. I hope he succeeds whereever he goes

seriously

clifford did a lot contributing to the stability of this organization and really helped turning things around. its no stretch that orlando is looking to do the same considering their past few years

that being said, lol biyombo can't get away from this dude
LofJ
RealGM

Post#818 » by LofJ » Fri May 25, 2018 11:56 am

If Clifford gets the Magic job we need to save Biz. Send Cliff his bff Dwight, we take back Biz, and we swap lottery picks. And then we follow that up by sending Marvin to Utah for Burks.

Kemba/Monk
Lamb/Burks/Bacon
Batum/MKG
Porter/Kaminsky
Zeller/Biz/Willy
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#819 » by Eoghan » Fri May 25, 2018 5:09 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:Not sure why everyone, or most on here hate on Clifford. He was solid, more than solid compared to Dunlap, Vincent, even Browns stint. I hope he succeeds whereever he goes

Nah, Brown was better and Dunlap might've adapted if given a chance.

All you need to know is that Orlando is a terribly ran organization that consistently makes bad decisions, even worse than us, and they're thinking of hiring Clifford.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#820 » by fatlever » Fri May 25, 2018 7:14 pm

Eoghan wrote:

Nah, Brown was better and Dunlap might've adapted if given a chance.

Worst non-player people in franchise history
1. Ray Woolridge
2. George Shinn
3. Bob Johnson
4. Larry Brown
5. Sam Vincent
6. Mike Dunlap
7. FoM

Best
1. Bob Bass

Return to Charlotte Hornets