ImageImage

The Marvin Gaye Williams Thread

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

leeramundo
Junior
And1: 72

Re: The Marvin Gaye Williams Thread 

Post#921 » by leeramundo » Sun Feb 7, 2016 8:19 am

BatumtheGlue wrote:Cho, pls keep this guy in our team next season.

He's been the most stable performer for the team I think, a great piece to have.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

The Marvin Gaye Williams Thread 

Post#922 » by BigSlam » Sun Feb 7, 2016 1:44 pm

fatlever wrote:I think I asked the question a while back, but will ask again. If it game down to re-signing Lin or Marvin and we could only afford to keep one, who would you keep?

Regardless, losing Marvin in summer would be a huge blow.

Lin.

A quality PG is a lot harder to find than a 3pt shooting PF/SF tweener.

No knock on Marv, I've come to really appreciate him this season, but Lin is more valuable.

And we have Frank ready to replace Marv - but no one ready to replace Lin.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
B B M F 'ers
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#923 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Feb 7, 2016 5:18 pm

Also, it's contract year, you never know......
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
bws94
Head Coach
And1: 1,222

Post#924 » by bws94 » Sun Feb 7, 2016 6:03 pm

Love Marv, love his leadership. Good, good guy and team mate. Plays with heart, mostly positive stuff on the court. Maybe a future coach one day?
BatumtheGlue
Starter
And1: 441

Post#925 » by BatumtheGlue » Sun Feb 7, 2016 6:29 pm

I'm a greedy guy, i want Marv and Lin to stay with us next season.
Mamut menteng ureh utusku, isen mulang jite penyangku.
Credit to amcoolio for the signature .gif.
Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Post#926 » by Elden Payton » Sun Feb 7, 2016 11:40 pm

If it came down to Marv or Lin, we have to take Marv imo.

One is our starting PF and one is our backup PG.

Frank is absolutely nowhere near ready to start in this league.

Per the Lamar article a page or 2 back, Frank is shooting 17 percent on drives...and his 3 ball has deserted him.

Marv has been inspirational this season, the only consistent player we have and is a stretch 4 who plays good defence.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,591

Post#927 » by HornetJail » Mon Feb 8, 2016 6:21 pm

Marvin has been terrific. I would take him over Lin every time. We can draft a point guard and bring him along just like OKC is doing with Cameron Payne.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#928 » by LamarMatic7 » Tue Feb 9, 2016 3:21 pm

as it could have been expected from some of the things Lowe had said, Marvin Williams made his Luke Walton All-Star team. as a starter. well deserved.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14743788/who-nba-players-found-suddenly-relevant
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,726

Post#929 » by fatlever » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:29 pm

On the Marvin vs Lin debate, Bonnell agrees that the Hornets may have to decide between one or the other in order to keep Batum. Says Marvin is more valuable to the Hornets, but with Lin being younger and it being harder to find a better backup point guard than Lin, he would go with Lin.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,711

Post#930 » by yosemiteben » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:34 pm

I'd probably go with Lin too. Age and depth at position both favor Lin.

Love Marv, but we need him to give us a discount if he wants to stay around. Hope both he and Lin do.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,169

Post#931 » by Snidely FC » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:51 pm

LamarMatic7 wrote:as it could have been expected from some of the things Lowe had said, Marvin Williams made his Luke Walton All-Star team. as a starter. well deserved.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14743788/who-nba-players-found-suddenly-relevant

Not just a starter but Marvin is the Captain! The Walton All-Stars reads like a list of guys I would like to go after in free agency (Dudley, Pachulia, Lance Thomas) or trade (Ed Davis, Casspi) to add depth and fit to Cliff's system.

I think people underestimate how important Marvin is to this team as a Rim Protector and leader. Marvin has won me over big time. I hope he continues to wear the purple and teal.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,726

Post#932 » by fatlever » Mon Mar 7, 2016 3:56 am

James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#933 » by James Gatz » Mon Mar 7, 2016 4:53 pm

I've been so impressed with Marvin this year. His ability to stretch the floor and then drive the lane for floaters is truly an evolution in his game. One that you don't often see from players of his age. I was among many who thought he was a poor signing originally but it's another example of a solid base hit from the front office.

If he is demanding a 12/yr it could be hard to justify but I've loved having him on the team this season. Definitely a 1Q player but he's kept us alive in more than a few games this year. I feel slotting him into the McBob role his first season was a mistake. Marv just doesn't have the playmaking ability, but now his found his role it's hard to find a guy who fits it better.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,552

Post#934 » by LofJ » Mon Mar 7, 2016 6:04 pm

We're not going to be able to afford Marvin this offseason. It sucks, but we should be able to re-sign Batum/Lin and have enough space left to get another good player.
countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,319

Post#935 » by countryboi » Mon Mar 7, 2016 8:19 pm

LofJ wrote:We're not going to be able to afford Marvin this offseason. It sucks, but we should be able to re-sign Batum/Lin and have enough space left to get another good player.

players with the skill set like Marvin are not easy to replace.
The Cut Podcast, An Hilarious barbershop style discussion podcast. Watch us on Youtube and listen to us on all major Podcast Platforms. https://linktr.ee/thecut_podcast
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#936 » by HornetJail » Tue Mar 8, 2016 3:33 am

LofJ wrote:We're not going to be able to afford Marvin this offseason. It sucks, but we should be able to re-sign Batum/Lin and have enough space left to get another good player.

Re-signing Lin is not a priority given the way Marvin has played this season. I'm prepared to move on from Lin, hopefully for a cheaper guy who shoots threes better even if he's a downgrade everywhere else.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#937 » by catch20two » Tue Mar 8, 2016 7:21 am

Marvelous Marv > Messy Marv

Marv adopting that quick trigger unconscious 3pt shot ala Tolliver has worked wonders for us this season.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#938 » by HornetJail » Wed Mar 9, 2016 2:35 am

catch20two wrote:Marvelous Marv > Messy Marv

Marv adopting that quick trigger unconscious 3pt shot ala Tolliver has worked wonders for us this season.

The man is up to 39% shooting from deep on 110-281 shooting.

There are only 11 other players making more threes on better percentages: Teletovic, Korver, JR Smith, Fournier, McCollum, Middleton, Redick, Klay, Lowry, KD, and Curry. Are any of them better than Marvin on defense?

Someone pay this man.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,119

Post#939 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Mar 9, 2016 3:37 am

MotorKeepsGoing wrote:

Re-signing Lin is not a priority given the way Marvin has played this season. I'm prepared to move on from Lin, hopefully for a cheaper guy who shoots threes better even if he's a downgrade everywhere else.

Agreed.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#940 » by Zombiesonics » Wed Mar 9, 2016 3:55 am

5th power forward in Espns real plus minus , behind draymond , milsap, love, and bosh. Matches the eye test because when he plays he competes on both ends and is an excellent shooter. The evolution and sky rocketing value of the small ball 4 did indeed breathe new life into his career; remember when being a tweener was bad?

Return to Charlotte Hornets