Re: GOAT: The Jordan Thread 

Post#441 » by JDR720 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:46 pm

Read on Twitter
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,292

Post#442 » by LamarMatic7 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:26 pm

Zach Lowe dropped a Hornets nugget in his latest podcast with Arnovitz on which they discuss his new Kings feature. Lowe referenced that article he did on Charlotte's team building two years ago and the Celtics offer for the Kaminsky pick in particular. Defended the Kings that there are other organizations around the league where chaos ensues in the draft room. Charlotte's like that. Too many people in the room, a few Michael Jordan family members are there, a lot of noise, a lot of shouting.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 26,702

Post#443 » by JDR720 » Tue Aug 1, 2017 7:20 pm

Read on Twitter

Lavar challenges mj to a 1v1 game
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 7,156

Post#444 » by yosemiteben » Tue Aug 1, 2017 9:45 pm

Correct, he won't. One needs marketing attention, the other gets it with no effort.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,697

Post#445 » by Snidely FC » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:07 pm

Jordan didn't sign him with the expectation that they'd be getting in early on one of the sport's next crossover stars in America. They signed Guo to further entrench the brand in China, regardless of the league in which he plays.

Read more ... http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20358897/nba-guo-ailun-path-becoming-jordan-brand-first-chinese-signature-athlete
spaceballer
Head Coach
And1: 2,695

Post#446 » by spaceballer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:12 pm

Michael Jordan gives $7M to open medical clinics in poor areas of Charlotte

Hornets owner Michael Jordan is donating $7 million to launch two medical clinics in troubled Charlotte communities, in one of the largest gifts ever from the basketball legend with deep ties to North Carolina.

Novant Health is expected on Monday to announce Jordan’s personal gift, which will fund Novant Health Michael Jordan Family Clinics to be built in north and northwest Charlotte. One will be at 3149 and 3153 Freedom Drive; the other will be in the Brightwalk development on Statesville Avenue.

Officials said the clinics will target a crescent-shaped region, hugging roughly an area north of uptown’s skyscrapers, home to some of the city’s densest concentrations of poverty. Opening of the clinics is projected for late 2020.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article177764871.html
Vanderbilt_Grad
Analyst
And1: 1,293

Post#447 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:35 am

Good thread over on twitter about Jordan trash talking
Read on Twitter

One of my favorite links there
https://www.gomn.com/sports/must-see-isaiah-riders-story-kg-wildly-trash-talking-michael-jordan
Hope is free.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 26,702

Post#448 » by JDR720 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 7:34 pm

_tijo_
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 226

Post#449 » by _tijo_ » Tue Jul 9, 2019 3:28 pm

I've actually been thinking about this for a while. Michael made most of his fortune from playing, from commercials and endorsements and from his Nike deal. He didn't make a ton of money like other owners from running a business, building it up, knowing what works in business, making connections, relying on others, empowering his people, and growing to be a billionaire, and knowing how a successful business runs. Like every other owner. I think MJ approaches life like an athlete, meaning that he was naturally more talented, was able to jump higher, had bigger hands, etc, so everything works out for him. He doesn't think he needs scouting (like Toronto and Masai looking at African players like Pascal), or putting the right people in place (Pop and RC and front office infrastructure). He doesn't know that you need to spend money and hire the best progressive thinking people in order to have a successful business or product. In Lowe and Woj's reporting, they basically say that Michael cuts corners, not in player contracts because our payroll is bloated, but in his front office, in the organization, and in the people around him. In his mind, why pay for all this scouting, when he can just decide on his own (or his son or brother will tell him, who are worse because they have the same mentality, without the talent). Want to know why we don't go and make creative deals? Because we don't have the infrastructure to be able to have opinions on other team's young talent or hidden gems. We've always just dealt for temporary fixes, known commodities at the end of their usefulness. Instead of planning for a long term future, we give $19m a year to Terry Rozier, who had that one run in the playoffs two years ago, and is at best a temporary patch job for the gaping hole that Kemba left. Woj and Lowe openly wonder what we are doing. I don't disagree. And I'm sure Kemba also felt the same.

And unless the fans are vocal, and stop spending money on merch and tickets, nothing is going to change. MJ is still making money, so he won't change. The Hornets rebrand is basically lipstick on the Bobcats pig. Nothing has changed, we're still the same sorry organization. But since fans "love" the Hornets and nostalgia and the new retro court and the new unis, we go and support this badly run organization, and we delude ourselves into thinking it is better now. Fire Higgins, bring in Cho, fire Cho, bring in Mitch, nothing changed. Sometimes I wish we didn't rebrand, that way Michael would actually have to try and build a successful organization and team. I live here, love this place too much to blindly support this incompetence. The "Hornets" allowed MJ to be slack. I wish we were the "Bobcats" so that MJ would have to work, be humble, and do it right.
Who I would have taken:
2019: PJ | 2018: Porter Jr. | 2017: Monk | 2016: Damian Jones | 2015: Winslow | 2014: Vonleh, Napier | 2013: McLemore | 2012: MKG | 2011: Knight, Kawhi
Rich4114
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#450 » by Rich4114 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 3:36 pm

MJ's very first pick as an NBA exec was the #1 overall pick and it was a dud. Ever since then, he has not been able to shake that narrative. I think it's partly due to bad luck and partly due to what _tijo_ mentioned regarding his approach and people he has around him from a scouting perspective. I mean, the organization is basically run like a startup. However, if you go back to the original Hornets and how they were successful for so long - it was due to the luck of having the #1 and #2 picks in the right drafts back to back. Even when we lost those players, we were able to replace them with other good players (of lesser name usually) which demonstrated the fact that we had a great executive making decisions. MJ was a great player but he has not shown or proven to be anything close to good at evaluating NBA talent.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,159

Post#451 » by TheKingofSting » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:30 am

President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,176

Post#452 » by fatlever » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:42 am

Read on Twitter
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#453 » by fatlever » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:44 am

TheKingofSting wrote:https://clutchpoints.com/ranking-the-five-worst-owners-currently-in-the-nba/?fbclid=IwAR0enlChSBuMaoiBOKr7_kdQJ4oxSeRNOHJWe2O3CnBHpzPk4y7yos7PsiQ

they missed sarver
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,202

Post#455 » by Diop » Mon May 18, 2020 12:45 pm

I remember years ago thinking it was the brain/drive of MJ that made him so great.
The Last Dance has highlighted that for me again. The ultimate competitor who bullied his team mates to their best as well.

Imagine if he was in the body of a Shaq or Lebron? It would have been ridiculous.
(Heck put him in Diop's body, we win several championshiops :D )
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 10,013

Post#456 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon May 18, 2020 1:39 pm

Diop wrote:I remember years ago thinking it was the brain/drive of MJ that made him so great.
The Last Dance has highlighted that for me again. The ultimate competitor who bullied his team mates to their best as well.

Imagine if he was in the body of a Shaq or Lebron? It would have been ridiculous.

What an incredible documentary
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,202

Post#457 » by Diop » Mon May 18, 2020 11:53 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
Diop wrote:I remember years ago thinking it was the brain/drive of MJ that made him so great.

What an incredible documentary

yep, I loved every part of it.

fun fact, Longley changed his number just before it came out as he new Aussie media would hassle him for a comment.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#458 » by fatlever » Tue May 19, 2020 9:13 pm

totally forgot bj armstrong played for the hornets
SteveMorrison15
Bench Warmer
And1: 49

Post#459 » by SteveMorrison15 » Sat May 30, 2020 9:48 pm

fatlever wrote:totally forgot bj armstrong played for the hornets

so did BJ
UNCNYC
Starter
And1: 366

Post#460 » by UNCNYC » Mon Jun 1, 2020 1:20 am

Jordan and I are the same height and weight when he entered the league. I always thought that was the perfect playing size growing up. Now it seems like that is short and the perfect size is 6'8"
UPDATED - 7/3/2019 MY GM RESULTS

NAW / BJ Taylor / Will. McD. White
Zhairre / Reaves
Bacon / Obeisie / Pinson
YuTa / Frank / Cheatham
Cook / Biz

Return to Charlotte Hornets