ImageImage

2013 NBA draft prospects chatter

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

2013 NBA draft prospects chatter 

Post#1 » by Eoghan » Sat Nov 3, 2012 2:04 am

I know it's way early but I watched the Kentucky-Northwood game yesterday so, uh, yeah.

I'm slowly coming around on Noel but he looks undersized, if Poythress is the 6'7" he was listed in the game, Noel is 6'9" at best. He's starting to remind me a lot of Kenneth Faried except maybe with the potential to be a bit more skilled.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,562

Re: 2013 NBA draft prospects chatter 

Post#2 » by fatlever » Sat Nov 3, 2012 2:44 am

college season has started, so its fair game.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,498

Post#3 » by HornetJail » Sat Nov 3, 2012 3:24 am

If the draft was tomorrow, give me Zeller.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Kembastockton
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 56

Post#4 » by Kembastockton » Sat Nov 3, 2012 4:29 am

I am still waiting to see Shabazz up against some talent. My pick is between he and Noel. Noel looked the other night to be every bit the player we are hoping Biz can become.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#5 » by No-Man » Sat Nov 3, 2012 3:37 pm

For Charlotte, the pick should be between Mitchell, Bazz and Zeller.

If you get 1st, no doubt, Bazz is the man, if not, I'd like Mitchell before Zeller.

Poythress is 6'9 on shoes, Noel 6'11.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,109

Post#6 » by SWedd523 » Sat Nov 3, 2012 7:58 pm

A lot of questions that Cho needs to address before the draft:

Is Noel really that different from Bismack?

If he (Noel) shows an offensive game, is he big enough to play with Bismack at the same time?

Is Cody Zeller a PF or a C?

If we draft Zeller, what is the combo of the future, him and Bismack or him and Mullens?

Who do we covet more as a starter for the future, Bismack or Mully? (raises the whole "fit" question in regards to the prospect bigs)

Can Shabazz and MKG coexist with neither one being a long range bomber?

Does the possibility of drafting Shabazz make Hendo trade bait around the deadline?

Does the possibility of drafting Noel/Zeller make Bismack or Mully trade bait around the deadline?

The team is deeper at the guards and wings, but there still isn't a star offensive player, so would we take a chance on a guy like Shabazz when a big is more valuable and needed?
doc.end
General Manager
And1: 191

Post#7 » by doc.end » Sat Nov 3, 2012 10:44 pm

Outsde of our own pick, we may just as well observe candidtes for out of top 12 pick (Blazers' one is top 12 protected, Pistons' is top 14).

Can anyone link me some footage on Zeller so I could see why he is considered to be so good?
Kembastockton

Post#8 » by Kembastockton » Sun Nov 4, 2012 1:06 pm

Is Noel really that different from Bismack?

He seems to be a bigger, less clumsy version.

If he (Noel) shows an offensive game, is he big enough to play with Bismack at the same time?

If we draft Noel we likely trade Biz.

I think he will end up being a tweener.

If we draft Zeller, what is the combo of the future, him and Bismack or him and Mullens?

If we draft either Zeller or Noel they will have to earn their minutes. But I imagine if we draft Zeller we trade Mullens.

Who do we covet more as a starter for the future, Bismack or Mully? (raises the whole "fit" question in regards to the prospect bigs)

Right now Mully is hugely outplaying Biz.

I don't know, but what a great problem to have!

Does the possibility of drafting Shabazz make Hendo trade bait around the deadline?

Hendo is already trade bait at the deadline. Hendo has been complaining about loosing to the media. Mike has said that Hendo is going to want at big raise to stay. Mike's good friend Charles said himself that Mike is as cheap as they come. Do the math.

Does the possibility of drafting Noel/Zeller make Bismack or Mully trade bait around the deadline?

Draft night trade bait.

The team is deeper at the guards and wings, but there still isn't a star offensive player, so would we take a chance on a guy like Shabazz when a big is more valuable and needed?

We take the bpa. There will be quite a few big man free agents this summer, so if Shabazz is the bpa at our pick so be it.

People like Zeller because he walked into the college game, and took over. He was the undisputed second best bigman in the college game last year.

http://nbadraft.net/players/cody-zeller
BobsBuddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 100

Post#9 » by BobsBuddy » Mon Nov 5, 2012 2:05 pm

:( :( :o :o :D Cody Zellar is the Real Thing. Can play 5 and start with 20 more pounds. and can start at 4 now.
The problem is he will go top 3 and we may have to trade up to get there. The longer I watch Heywood and Biz the more I think Biz was a bad pick where we drafted him at in 2011. Heywood is a true center and Biz is an undersized center. I would trade him and our 2013 draft pick to move up and draft Zellar. I have us drafting between 4-8 and winning 15-20 games this season. We are a better team than Detroit,Orlando,Sacramento,Minnesota,and possibily,Phoenix, Cleveland and Washington. Also we could have another 2013 1st round protected 13-14 pick if Portland just misses the playoffs. Centers Alex,Gobart, or Lin, could be possible here if Macadoo drops to us at 4.
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#10 » by James Gatz » Mon Nov 5, 2012 4:15 pm

Detroit,Orlando,Sacramento,Minnesota,and possibily,Phoenix, Cleveland and Washington.

No were not better than those teams. Orlando or PHX is the only one I can see maybe have a worse record if they run into injury issues.

Don't get me wrong we are soooo much better than last year but we're still probably the worse in the league. So that means Zeller is someone who is a real possibility. Also I've loved watching his brother play, great hustler and rebounder.
Kembastockton

Post#11 » by Kembastockton » Mon Nov 5, 2012 4:20 pm

:( :( :o :o :D Cody Zellar is the Real Thing. Can play 5 and start with 20 more pounds. and can start at 4 now.
The problem is he will go top 3 and we may have to trade up to get there. The longer I watch Heywood and Biz the more I think Biz was a bad pick where we drafted him at in 2011. Heywood is a true center and Biz is an undersized center. I would trade him and our 2013 draft pick to move up and draft Zellar. I have us drafting between 4-8 and winning 15-20 games this season.

We are definitely still one of the worst three teams in the league. You seem to really be over rating Haywood, and underrating Biz here. Yes Brendon is a true center, and he makes us much better. He is old though. He is not going to lift us out of the cellar. Biz is only 20, and already plays average to good defense. No way Cho trades Biz and our pick just to move up a couple spots to pick ZRex. More likely if we end up picking outside the top 3 our second pick is offered to move up. I don't see him doing that either. I see him selecting where ever we fall, and trying again next year. Honestly do you really think there will be three teams that will win less than twenty games? Has that ever happened before?

We are a better team than Detroit,Orlando,Sacramento,Minnesota,and possibily,Phoenix, Cleveland and Washington.

With the exception of Orlando and maybe Phoenix all of those teams are better than us. Maybe you haven't noticed this, but even with our additions we are still struggling to score 90 points every night.

Also we could have another 2013 1st round protected 13-14 pick if Portland just misses the playoffs. Centers Alex,Gobart, or Lin, could be possible here if Macadoo drops to us at 4.

I agree with you here. Lillard is looking good, so Portland will likely just miss the playoffs which should net us their pick this year as long as they are outside the top 12 as you said. What I would like to see is for us package both our extra picks with one of our guards to get a second top 5 pick. Noel and Shabazz would make a nice one two punch going forward. I know. I'm just dreaming. Oh, and unless one of the big three (Zeller, Shabazz, Noel) has an underacheiving seasn McAdoo will be there at four.
BobsBuddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 100

Post#12 » by BobsBuddy » Tue Nov 6, 2012 1:59 pm

:( :( :-? :-? :o Two top 14 picks And a guard is too much to offer unless it's RWill or HIGJr and our first pick is above #5. OR we are trading up to #1 and getting a decent guard back with the pick then might consider KW or Hendo. I believe RSess will be our starting point before Christmas unless KW shows leadership abilities.
Draft express 2013 already has us picking Zellar and projects us as the #1 lottery team,but I feel Dunlap can get us over 20 wins. Maybe 25-57 then we draft 4-7.
Kembastockton

Post#13 » by Kembastockton » Tue Nov 6, 2012 6:56 pm

BobsBuddy wrote::( :( :-? :-? :o Two top 14 picks And a guard is too much to offer unless it's RWill or HIGJr and our first pick is above #5. OR we are trading up to #1 and getting a decent guard back with the pick then might consider KW or Hendo. I believe RSess will be our starting point before Christmas unless KW shows leadership abilities.
Draft express 2013 already has us picking Zellar and projects us as the #1 lottery team,but I feel Dunlap can get us over 20 wins. Maybe 25-57 then we draft 4-7.

The players projected where our Portland and Detroit picks are likely to fall are not likely to greatly improve our team. Hendo is likely good as out of here. That is why I would like to use them to grab Shabazz and one of the stud bigs this summer. If we could get something else as well by all means I won't hate.

Shabazz is considered the best two guard to come along in some time. He is a scoring machine. He likely is nearly as good as Hendo right now, and has never played an nba game. He is projected as a sure fire future all star if not near franchise player. Watching his highlights he reminds me of a young Steve Smith.
They_Them_Hatin
Sixth Man
And1: 548

Post#14 » by They_Them_Hatin » Tue Nov 6, 2012 9:04 pm

MountBiyombo wrote:Is Noel really that different from Bismack?

He seems to be a bigger, less clumsy version.

If we draft Noel we likely trade Biz.

I think he will end up being a tweener.

If we draft either Zeller or Noel they will have to earn their minutes. But I imagine if we draft Zeller we trade Mullens.

Right now Mully is hugely outplaying Biz.

I don't know, but what a great problem to have!

Hendo is already trade bait at the deadline. Hendo has been complaining about loosing to the media. Mike has said that Hendo is going to want at big raise to stay. Mike's good friend Charles said himself that Mike is as cheap as they come. Do the math.

Draft night trade bait.

We take the bpa. There will be quite a few big man free agents this summer, so if Shabazz is the bpa at our pick so be it.

People like Zeller because he walked into the college game, and took over. He was the undisputed second best bigman in the college game last year.

http://nbadraft.net/players/cody-zeller

All the questions I have. Most likely Portland and Detroit will keep their picks unless they hate this draft and rather have their lottery pick next year 8-) I really want both Bazz and Noel/Zeller but since our owed picks aren't coming it's up to 3 or all of Henderson/Kemba/Biz/Jeffrey to get enough picks to move into the top 4 to select Noel or Zeller but we don't even know if we would get the number 1 pick to select Bazz sigh it would be so much easier if we had the nfl draft system. Noel is slightly better than Biz, taller than him and his marketing oppurtunities are endless. Zeller is the real deal he and Hayward can last one season until we draft our c of the future.
Kembastockton

Post#15 » by Kembastockton » Wed Nov 7, 2012 6:55 pm

All the questions I have. Most likely Portland and Detroit will keep their picks unless they hate this draft and rather have their lottery pick next year

They don't have that option. If their picks fall outside the top 12 they are ours. Detroit's won't, but Portland's pick might just do that. Either way what I meant was trading our rights to picks. The team with which we make the trade might not get to use the picks until next year. This is actually my reasoning for wanting to trade these picks. Outside the possibility of them falling in the top five one year I really don't like the liklely hood of the players these picks land actually helping us.

I really want both Bazz and Noel/Zeller but since our owed picks aren't coming it's up to 3 or all of Henderson/Kemba/Biz/Jeffrey to get enough picks to move into the top 4 to select Noel or Zeller but we don't even know if we would get the number 1 pick to select Bazz sigh it would be so much easier if we had the nfl draft system.

Despite the hype I am not convinced Shabazz will go number one. He is injured, so he may struggle for awhile. Meanwhile Indiana is number one, and Kentucky is looking like they will have another monster season as well. If one of those two big men have a great season Shabazz may fall to number two especially if a team like New Orleans or Houston who already have dynamic two guards get the pick.

Zeller is the real deal he and Hayward can last one season until we draft our c of the future.

Who are you targeting in 14? To the best of my knowlege the 14 draft is supposed to be small forward and two guard heavy. (Again one of the reasons I want to do something with our extra picks this summer.) If I am not mistaken 2013 is the year we should be targeting our center for the future. If we don't get a top five pick in 14 ( I hope that we are not still that bad anyway.)I think that would be a great draft to conceede our protection on the pick we owe the bulls.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,498

Post#16 » by HornetJail » Wed Nov 7, 2012 6:58 pm

MountBiyombo wrote:Who are you targeting in 14? To the best of my knowlege the 14 draft is supposed to be small forward and two guard heavy. (Again one of the reasons I want to do something with our extra picks this summer.) If I am not mistaken 2013 is the year we should be targeting our center for the future. If we don't get a top five pick in 14 ( I hope that we are not still that bad anyway.)I think that would be a great draft to conceede our protection on the pick we owe the bulls.

Hell no, not with Wiggins/Parker/Randle there. I would trade A LOT to move into the top 3 in that draft. We should tank that season like the 08-09 Thunder. We'll give the Bulls their pick in 2015. IDGAF what happens during the 2013-14 season, but we better wind up with a top 3 pick there somehow. We're playing the rebuilding game Thunder-style. They inexplicably sucked hard enough in 08-09 with Durant and Westbrook and got a top 3 pick to draft Harden. I think our rebuilding effort falls on its ass if we can't get one of Wiggins, Parker, or Randle.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
doc.end
General Manager
And1: 191

Post#17 » by doc.end » Wed Nov 7, 2012 11:31 pm

No to trading our (not our own) picks away. Surely not the DET one. If they end up having top 8 next year (which is quite possible and I don't think it is necessary to state they are not play off looking team this year), the pick is golden and could end up anywhere - for us, unless they hit the jackpot (top 1 protected), then the same applies one year further. POR pick seems to be a mid-round pick, late lottery or worse whether we get it this year or one of the next ones. I would rather use it than trade it, as we should be able to get valueable piece without trading it away either via trades or cap space (not attracting big FAs but with stricter rules and many team heavily ver the cap, the competion for solid pices may not be that wild). I would like us to target Saric and see what he is made of and then pass on him or pull the trigger. No matter how our roster would look like at the time of draft day.

I am bit worried about Henderson getting overpaid - we have some nice but not great, promising pieces and it may be sensible to follow OKC even with Harden case, a mini-Harden one in this case.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,058

Post#18 » by JMAC3 » Thu Nov 8, 2012 3:17 am

As an Indiana Fan.

Zeller is the real deal. He can score on the low post with tons of moves. Can finish through contact like Hansborough. Solid free throw shooter. Working on his midrange jumper which he plans on utilizing this year. He needs to improve on his rebounding a bit, but I think he is a top 3 pick.

He seems to be the perfect fit next to Biz long term. Leaving Mullens as the first big off the bench with his three point shooting ala a Ryan Anderson or Channing Frye. Zeller is 7 feet tall with low post scoring and midrange. Biyombo is a 6-9 shot blocking machine who can do the dirty work on offense. Zeller reminds me of Tim Duncan as he never looks rushed and is very efficient.

But then again its so early and Shabazz, Noel, and many more will get consideration as the year goes on.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Kembastockton

Post#19 » by Kembastockton » Thu Nov 8, 2012 5:21 pm

Hell no, not with Wiggins/Parker/Randle there. I would trade A LOT to move into the top 3 in that draft. We should tank that season like the 08-09 Thunder.

If you want one of those three then I imagine that you want Noel in 13. As Wiggins plays the same position as Shabazz, Parker/MKG, and Randle/Zeller. No arguement. I just don't think that we and Detroit will be that bad in 14. I used to, but that was before Washington, Atlanta and Orlando destroyed their teams.

We'll give the Bulls their pick in 2015.

Works for me.

IDGAF what happens during the 2013-14 season, but we better wind up with a top 3 pick there somehow. We're playing the rebuilding game Thunder-style. They inexplicably sucked hard enough in 08-09 with Durant and Westbrook and got a top 3 pick to draft Harden.

Their two best players were a rookie and a sophmore. How is that inexplicable?

I think our rebuilding effort falls on its ass if we can't get one of Wiggins, Parker, or Randle.

Not if MKG and our pick this summer turn into superstars.
Kembastockton

Post#20 » by Kembastockton » Thu Nov 8, 2012 5:53 pm

Zeller is the real deal. He can score on the low post with tons of moves. Can finish through contact like Hansborough. Solid free throw shooter. Working on his midrange jumper which he plans on utilizing this year. He needs to improve on his rebounding a bit, but I think he is a top 3 pick.

I am really glad to read that, because with a 6'8 wing span and no ups. I was fearing he might get his shot blocked more than Emeka.

He seems to be the perfect fit next to Biz long term. Leaving Mullens as the first big off the bench with his three point shooting ala a Ryan Anderson or Channing Frye. Zeller is 7 feet tall with low post scoring and midrange. Biyombo is a 6-9 shot blocking machine who can do the dirty work on offense.

I am kind of leaning towards Biz being on the second unit long term with Mully.

Zeller reminds me of Tim Duncan as he never looks rushed and is very efficient.

Zeller looks good, but Big Fundamental good? Not even close. More like David Lee good.

Return to Charlotte Hornets