ImageImage

2013 NBA draft prospects chatter

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

mrknowitall215
RealGM
And1: 2,384

Re: 2013 NBA draft prospects chatter 

Post#61 » by mrknowitall215 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:38 pm

BlackOutBobcat wrote:Realizing this could easily change, but as of right now we don't have a second rounder, correct?

You sir are correct. I almost forgot that the 'Cats dealt that pick for Mullens, but I think not having a 2nd round pick is subject to change.
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#62 » by Eoghan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:40 pm

That Duke UK game was a treat. I've been high on Poythress since the Jordan game and this game clinched it. That kid is a post game away from being a very good NBA PF. He looks to have a floor of Thomas Robinson and a ceiling of something like Shawn Kemp, seriously.

Noel is impressing me a little more and more but I just don't like him for us in a fit scenario. If we draft a big, I'd like one that's more savvy and/or has decidedly good size for Center. Zeller fits the former and Steven Adams fits the latter, but Noel seems like a super athletic 'tweener. He really does remind me of a more fluid Kenneth Faried or a very raw Dwight Howard if I'm being nice. But he's not completely boneheaded so I'll give him some credit, made some nice decisions last night and bounced back well from the Maryland game.

Archie Goodwin, not particularly high on. Looks to be a Jamaal Crawford/Jason Terry type of player aka a really good scorer but size and weaknesses in other areas doesn't make him seem like a player worth building around.

Plumlee is Plumlee.

Didn't get to see Steven Adams do much in the Pitt-Lehigh game b/c I didn't see all of it and what I saw, Pitt had trouble getting him the ball down low. He does have really good size and swatted some shots, runs the floor well.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#63 » by HornetJail » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:41 pm

Correction: TOR pick is top 3 protected. OKC only gets it if the pick lands between 4-14.

Do you think Hendo + Portland pick + Sessions for a couple of their deep bench guys and the Toronto pick would get it done? We'd likely have two top-7 picks. If both land in the 5-10, would anybody in the top 3 trade their pick for those two? Probably too early to tell, but we really need Zeller IMO.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#64 » by catch20two » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:05 pm

CHA_77_Bobcats wrote:Correction: TOR pick is top 3 protected. OKC only gets it if the pick lands between 4-14.

Do you think Hendo + Portland pick + Sessions for a couple of their deep bench guys and the Toronto pick would get it done? We'd likely have two top-7 picks. If both land in the 5-10, would anybody in the top 3 trade their pick for those two? Probably too early to tell, but we really need Zeller IMO.

Probably only if they could dump that piece of trash called Perkins on us. Don't want. I'm sure Sessions may become a eye opener to them come December 15th when his trade restriction wears off because Eric Maynor is a shell of himself returning from that knee injury, Reggie Jackson isn't productive, and come playoff time they'll need some quality bench relief for Westbrook that can score.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#65 » by HornetJail » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:10 pm

I don't care. I'd take it. Nobody important is signing here until that Perkins contract is a $9M expiring contract, which has value.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
mrknowitall215
RealGM

Post#66 » by mrknowitall215 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:15 pm

CHA_77_Bobcats wrote:I don't care. I'd take it. Nobody important is signing here until that Perkins contract is a $9M expiring contract, which has value.

If the 'Cats get Perkins, Tyrus will never get amnestied :lol:
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#67 » by BlackOutBuzz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:16 pm

CHA_77_Bobcats wrote:Correction: TOR pick is top 3 protected. OKC only gets it if the pick lands between 4-14.

To be honest - and granted, it's early - but if we had 2 top 7 picks I'm not sure I'd package them both to move into the top 3. A pick and a player, sure; but I'm not sure if a guy like Noel would be better than getting two of Len, Polythress, Austin, maybe even McAdoo.
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#68 » by HornetJail » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:21 pm

mrknowitall215 wrote:
CHA_77_Bobcats wrote:I don't care. I'd take it. Nobody important is signing here until that Perkins contract is a $9M expiring contract, which has value.

If the 'Cats get Perkins, Tyrus will never get amnestied :lol:

We can't amnesty Perk if we trade for him. Tyrus could still be amnestied.
BlackOutBobcat wrote:

To be honest - and granted, it's early - but if we had 2 top 7 picks I'm not sure I'd package them both to move into the top 3. A pick and a player, sure; but I'm not sure if a guy like Noel would be better than getting two of Len, Polythress, Austin, maybe even McAdoo.
Zeller would be worth it IMO. I'm not sold on anybody except Zeller and Shabazz and we already have the wings jammed up with talent.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
mrknowitall215
RealGM

Post#69 » by mrknowitall215 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:02 pm

I think Mullens could be every bit of the post presence that Zeller is expected to be if he was brainwashed to score in the paint
They_Them_Hatin
Sixth Man
And1: 548

Post#70 » by They_Them_Hatin » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:52 pm

Toronto will improve atleast I think so. I can see okc trading Perkins+Toronto 1st for expirings but they would need a c back. Sessions+Portland 1st then we need to find other pieces for Perkins+raptors 1st. Tough considering we need the Detroit 1st and what team giving okc a decent c w/o raptors pick.
debo23
Pro Prospect
And1: 26

Post#71 » by debo23 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:14 am

Will be keeping an eye on Zeller, McAdoo, and Tokoto this year. If Tokoto goes up for the draft he may be a good steal. We need a high flyer on the team bad...
Kembastockton
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 56

Post#72 » by Kembastockton » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:48 pm

Zeller would be worth it IMO. I'm not sold on anybody except Zeller and Shabazz and we already have the wings jammed up with talent.

The way you were sold on Royce White? How's the DLeague treating him by the way?
I agree with the person who mentioned that Mully's improvement might mirror what we could get with Zeller. Mully's maturation is part of the reason I was focusing more on Shabazz and Noel.

Two top seven picks? Of course not, but the lowest we can get our Detroit and Portland picks this year is twelve. So likely we will have our own pick between 5-9 and Portland's pick 13-15. If that scenario plays out I am thinking McAdoo and Willie Cauley-Stein. (A 7ft former wide receiver is definitely worth a look at 13.)
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist

Post#73 » by BlackOutBuzz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:30 pm

MountBiyombo wrote:Two top seven picks? Of course not, but the lowest we can get our Detroit and Portland picks this year is twelve. So likely we will have our own pick between 5-9 and Portland's pick 13-15. If that scenario plays out I am thinking McAdoo and Willie Cauley-Stein. (A 7ft former wide receiver is definitely worth a look at 13.)

I was referring to this hypothetical:

CHA_77_Bobcats wrote:Do you think Hendo + Portland pick + Sessions for a couple of their deep bench guys and the Toronto pick would get it done? We'd likely have two top-7 picks. If both land in the 5-10, would anybody in the top 3 trade their pick for those two? Probably too early to tell, but we really need Zeller IMO.

Highly unlikely scenario, just saying that if it happened I'd rather stand pat than trade up.
Hornets Picks by Year

Kembastockton

Post#74 » by Kembastockton » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:54 pm

CHA_77_Bobcats wrote:

Highly unlikely scenario, just saying that if it happened I'd rather stand pat than trade up.
MountBiyombo wrote:Two top seven picks? Of course not, but the lowest we can get our Detroit and Portland picks this year is twelve. So likely we will have our own pick between 5-9 and Portland's pick 13-15. If that scenario plays out I am thinking McAdoo and Willie Cauley-Stein. (A 7ft former wide receiver is definitely worth a look at 13.)

CHA_77_Bobcats wrote:Do you think Hendo + Portland pick + Sessions for a couple of their deep bench guys and the Toronto pick would get it done? We'd likely have two top-7 picks. If both land in the 5-10, would anybody in the top 3 trade their pick for those two? Probably too early to tell, but we really need Zeller IMO.

The last time the bobcats stood pat instead of trading up we got Raymond Felton and Shawn May instead of Deron Williams.
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist

Post#75 » by BlackOutBuzz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:06 pm

MountBiyombo wrote:The last time the bobcats stood pat instead of trading up we got Raymond Felton and Shawn May instead of Deron Williams.

So not long ago you said this...

MountBiyombo wrote:Two top seven picks? Of course (we don't trade up).

And now you're saying we should trade up? Ok...

Maybe if we fall into the more likely scenario of having a top 5 pick and another in the late lottery...but I've made it clear my comments were about one specific scenario in which we'd have two top 7 picks (not my scenario, just commenting on someone else's idea), so these points you've made about having one high pick and another low lottery pick are not really relevant.

And the Deron Williams point is irrelevant as well...May was what, the 15th pick? If I saw a potential superstar in the top 3 while we had picks 5 and 15 sure I'd trade up, but having two in the top 7 at this point? I'm just not sure, Zeller seems to be the only stand out to me and after that it gets messy. So my point was that if I had 2 in the top 7 I'd take 2 over 1 if the draft were today.
Hornets Picks by Year

HornetJail
RealGM

Post#76 » by HornetJail » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:16 pm

MountBiyombo wrote:

The last time the bobcats stood pat instead of trading up we got Raymond Felton and Shawn May instead of Deron Williams.[/quote]
That is exactly what was going through my mind. Next year's draft isn't projected to be very deep. Give a top 3 pick over two 7-10 picks. Top 3 is where the stars get drafted, not 7-10. We've got role players. We need stars.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Kembastockton

Post#77 » by Kembastockton » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:21 pm

So not long ago you said this...

MountBiyombo wrote:
Two top seven picks? Of course (we don't trade up).

I don't understand how you are confused. If we were getting two top seven picks roll with them. Picks 3 and 6 would likely get two very good players.

And now you're saying we should trade up? Ok...

I was speaking to specific circumstances.

Maybe if we fall into the more likely scenario of having a top 5 pick and another in the late lottery...but I've made it clear my comments were about one specific scenario in which we'd have two top 7 picks (not my scenario, just commenting on someone else's idea), so these points you've made about having one high pick and another low lottery pick are not really relevant.

And the Deron Williams point is irrelevant as well...May was what, the 15th pick? If I saw a potential superstar in the top 3 while we had picks 5 and 15 sure I'd trade up, but having two in the top 7 at this point? I'm just not sure, Zeller seems to be the only stand out to me and after that it gets messy. So my point was that if I had 2 in the top 7 I'd take 2 over 1 if the draft were today.

I guess you don't realize that I was agreeing with you. I am sorry. I have been told that I do not always express myself clearly. Let me try again. I would not trade two top 7 picks to move up in this draft, because there is no sure thing headlining this draft so far. I would be very happy to get a combination of players like Shabazz and Lenn or Noel and McAdoo.

At the same time while I was agreeing with you that I would not trade two top seven picks to move up in this draft I also was attempting to clarify. Unless Cho pulls off a blockbuster trade there is no way that we will have two top seven picks this year. At that point I made the comment that the way our guys are playing we will likely fall outside the top four. Our Portand pick can be no better than 13( which is where Shawn May was picked ) In a week draft I would consider moving 5 (Flton)and 13 (May)to get inside the top 3.(Deron) Is this clearer?
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist

Post#78 » by BlackOutBuzz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:42 pm

Yeah I get ya, but the scenario being discussed was one where we'd trade for Toronto's pick, hence the two top 7 picks idea. I agree that it's unlikely that trade happens but I was just discussing my thoughts on that particular scenario.

But you're right, if we do get Portland's pick the best it can be is 13th; making it a distinct possibility that we again have 5 and 13 (probably more like 15 though). I'm still not really sold on anyone beyond Zeller at this point (and I do have some concerns about him, too), but if someone really establishes themselves I'd be perfectly fine with packaging and moving up.

Quick question: the protection is based on where the pick lands, not the team's record, correct? So, in theory, Portland could be as bad as the 10th worst team in the league but still get leaped by 3 teams in the lottery thus pushing the pick out to 13th.
Hornets Picks by Year

HornetJail
RealGM

Post#79 » by HornetJail » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:02 pm

If the draft was tonight, there is a clear big 3 in this year's draft: Zeller, Noel, and Shabazz, right? I see this as a watered down version of the 03 draft. A few stars at the top and then a bunch of role players to solid starters. Who would you rather be left with: Chris Kaman and Kirk Hinrich (picked 6th and 7th) or Chris Bosh (picked 4th)?

Remember that the whole point of tanking seasons during a rebuild is to get that top echelon player, not be stuck with that average starter you'll get with the 7th pick. That's why the Bucks, Warriors, 2000s Bobcats, etc. are having all sorts of issues moving into the playoff race. Keep picking in that 7-12 range year after year and it's unlikely you draft that star that takes you to that next level. It's what happened with Felton, May, Augustin, etc.

If it really ends up being a draft with a clear-cut group of three or four top players, we have to do everything possible to add one of those guys.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist

Post#80 » by BlackOutBuzz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:21 pm

Well it's easy to say that if you think there's gonna be 4 perennial all-stars in a draft (a la 2003), but honestly it could be like 2000 too, too early to tell. The big 3 you mention is still a big unknown to me (it'll shape up as we go along), and I'm not convinced Noel is really any better than McAdoo, Len, Polythress, etc. And Shabazz I've only seen in mix-tapes...which isn't a good basis for a top 3 pick. I don't think anything is "clear" at this point. To counter your Bosh point we could also end up taking Marcus Fizer (also a 4th pick) or both Jamal Crawford and Joel Pryzbilla (8th and 9th).
Hornets Picks by Year

Return to Charlotte Hornets