ImageImage

2014 Draft Prospects Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

mrknowitall215
RealGM
And1: 2,384

Re: 2014 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#121 » by mrknowitall215 » Fri Nov 1, 2013 2:45 pm

Interesting that Kansas has Andrew Wiggins listed as a guard on all publications instead of a forward. I thought for sure that he'd be listed as a SF with NBA projections of having the possibility of being a SG depending on the roster. I have yet to see his perimeter game enough to consider him primarily a SG, but we'll see as the collegiate season goes along
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,045

Post#122 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Nov 1, 2013 4:31 pm

mrknowitall215 wrote:Interesting that Kansas has Andrew Wiggins listed as a guard on all publications instead of a forward. I thought for sure that he'd be listed as a SF with NBA projections of having the possibility of being a SG depending on the roster. I have yet to see his perimeter game enough to consider him primarily a SG, but we'll see as the collegiate season goes along

His perimeter game needs work, but he could play SG on the NBA level. He'd fit this team perfectly.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,532

Post#123 » by HornetJail » Fri Nov 1, 2013 7:55 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
mrknowitall215 wrote:Interesting that Kansas has Andrew Wiggins listed as a guard on all publications instead of a forward. I thought for sure that he'd be listed as a SF with NBA projections of having the possibility of being a SG depending on the roster. I have yet to see his perimeter game enough to consider him primarily a SG, but we'll see as the collegiate season goes along

His perimeter game needs work, but he could play SG on the NBA level. He'd fit this team perfectly.

Even if he isn't a tremendous shooter, he'd work for us very well. I think he could be a 2 or 3 at any level, and maybe even play spot minutes at the 4 given his wicked athleticism.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Post#124 » by Elden Payton » Sat Nov 2, 2013 8:12 am

I'm not so sure that Wiggins is the lock for #1.

The hype on this guy is ridiculous and everyone else is getting overshadowed.

I really hope Wiggins is the new generational talent but there are some pretty worthy competitors for that title in this upcoming draft.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#125 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Nov 3, 2013 10:32 pm

I know it's early but it's hard for me to see how the Sixers are still the consensus #1 pick team. I think we look like a top 5 pick team.
It has been written...
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#126 » by catch20two » Sun Nov 3, 2013 11:02 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:I know it's early but it's hard for me to see how the Sixers are still the consensus #1 pick team. I think we look like a top 5 pick team.

If Jefferson ever gets in shape this season and avoid recurring injuries I can't see us winning less than 30 games. If it wasn't for that poor 4th quarter in Houston and that miserable 1st quarter in New Orleans we might be 3-0 right now. We have looked like a decent team so far barring 2 distinct quarters. We'll see as time goes along though.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#127 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Nov 3, 2013 11:52 pm

catch20two wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:I know it's early but it's hard for me to see how the Sixers are still the consensus #1 pick team. I think we look like a top 5 pick team.

If Jefferson ever gets in shape this season and avoid recurring injuries I can't see us winning less than 30 games. If it wasn't for that poor 4th quarter in Houston and that miserable 1st quarter in New Orleans we might be 3-0 right now. We have looked like a decent team so far barring 2 distinct quarters. We'll see as time goes along though.

Utah is worse than I thought, same with Sacramento. Orlando is worse than us, barely. The Sixers, Raptors and Celtics may be worse. I say we pick anywhere from 4-7...but I would be surprised really if we're towards the higher numbers of that range.
It has been written...
Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Post#128 » by Elden Payton » Mon Nov 4, 2013 12:02 am

There has to be a point at some time in history that we actually move up in the lottery process.

Fingers crossed its this year!

The Bobcats have never gone up in a lottery process and have always stayed at the same spot or dropped, surely the odds swing in our favour for once?
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,034

Post#129 » by JDR720 » Mon Nov 4, 2013 2:30 am

Think Charlotte gets #6 pick, also think Jazz get #1 pick
jakenc
Junior
And1: 78

Post#130 » by jakenc » Mon Nov 4, 2013 2:55 am

I have a feeling that we move up this year. We'll probably finish in the 6-8 range, but I feel like Adam Silver is gonna do us a solid.

On a side note, from Duke's exhibitions so far, Jabari Parker looks like an awesome all-around player. His jumpshot is silky smooth an his handle is fantastic for his size. I'd be thrilled if the hornets landed him, but I do wonder what that would mean for MKG.

Everyone ought to mark november 12th on their calendars. Duke vs Kansas, Jabari Parker vs Andrew Wiggins, Rodney Hood vs Wayne Selden.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#131 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Nov 4, 2013 3:01 am

jakenc wrote:I have a feeling that we move up this year. We'll probably finish in the 6-8 range, but I feel like Adam Silver is gonna do us a solid.

On a side note, from Duke's exhibitions so far, Jabari Parker looks like an awesome all-around player. His jumpshot is silky smooth an his handle is fantastic for his size. I'd be thrilled if the hornets landed him, but I do wonder what that would mean for MKG.

Everyone ought to mark november 12th on their calendars. Duke vs Kansas, Jabari Parker vs Andrew Wiggins, Rodney Hood vs Wayne Selden.

If we land Parker MKG better learn to shoot quick for a transition to the 2 guard spot.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#132 » by JDR720 » Mon Nov 4, 2013 3:41 am

I think Parker can play SG, or MKG and him play both SF and SG, MKG guards the SG on defense plays SF on offense, Parker plays SG on offense and SF on defense
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#133 » by JDR720 » Mon Nov 4, 2013 3:41 am

if Parker can be SG on offense that is a big freaking SG, 6'8 240
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#134 » by Eoghan » Mon Nov 4, 2013 3:41 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
jakenc wrote:I have a feeling that we move up this year. We'll probably finish in the 6-8 range, but I feel like Adam Silver is gonna do us a solid.

If we land Parker MKG better learn to shoot quick for a transition to the 2 guard spot.

If Parker can shoot then I don't care. MKG can play that Sefolosha/Tony Allen role of being a SG that sucks at shooting but great at defense and everything else. He'll need to tighten up his handles a little bit though.

College should be interesting this year, I'll be watching a chit ton again. Maybe this time Charlotte can actually draft the guy I like instead of the guy I'm underwhelmed by.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#135 » by JDR720 » Mon Nov 4, 2013 3:47 am

draft express is a good website for NBA drafts, they make good scouting reports with video for the top players and gets updated as the season goes along, already has several paragraphs of stuff on Parker

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jabari-Parker-6299/
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#136 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Nov 4, 2013 3:48 am

BrotherDave wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

If Parker can shoot then I don't care. MKG can play that Sefolosha/Tony Allen role of being a SG that sucks at shooting but great at defense and everything else. He'll need to tighten up his handles a little bit though.

College should be interesting this year, I'll be watching a chit ton again. Maybe this time Charlotte can actually draft the guy I like instead of the guy I'm underwhelmed by.

Parker can definitely shoot. The Carmelo comparisons are spot on. He is incredibly smooth on the offensive end and has good athleticism. He would take MKGs starting spot for sure as a SF. This coming from the biggest MKG supporter.

Edit: Our entire starting 5 better be on the lookout if we somehow, or regrettably get a top 5 pick. Exum could eventually supplant Walker, Randle could easily supplant Zeller as our future PF. This draft is pretty insane.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#137 » by JDR720 » Mon Nov 4, 2013 3:50 am

he also struggles on defense like Melo
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#138 » by JDR720 » Mon Nov 4, 2013 3:51 am

Parker

Weaknesses:
-Allowed himself to get extremely out of shape during injury, gaining a substantial amount of weight
-Body still looks very loose
-Struggles to get all the way to the basket in the half-court
-Doesn't have the first step needed to turn the corner against better defenders
-Tends to settle for a lot of low percentage shots, contested pull-up jumpers with a high degree of difficulty
-Lacks great lateral quickness. May struggle to contain explosive small forwards off the dribble
-Effort on defense looks questionable at times

yea that is very similar to Melo
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#139 » by JDR720 » Mon Nov 4, 2013 3:52 am

-Terrific size at 6-9
-Strong frame
-Very advanced scoring instincts
-Outstanding shooter with feet set, as well as off the dribble
-Capable of generating good looks in mid-range area with size, high release point and ability to fade and create separation
-High basketball IQ. Plays under control. Makes the extra pass
-Can post up a bit, mostly to shoot a turnaround jumper
-Good anticipation skills for rebounds/blocks. Shows good instincts tracking offensive rebounds coming off the glass
-Has a go-to mentality. Very confident in his abilities

yep he is basically Carmelo Anthony
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#140 » by JDR720 » Mon Nov 4, 2013 3:55 am

Exum can play SG, Kemba's job would be safe if we got him

Return to Charlotte Hornets