ImageImage

Fun with Stats!!!

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Re: Fun with Stats!!! 

Post#61 » by LamarMatic7 » Wed Feb 5, 2014 7:08 pm

I don't know... Hendo should be second on the team with .58 or I completely don't understand the way you did your rankings.
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#62 » by BlackOutBuzz » Wed Feb 5, 2014 7:13 pm

fatlever wrote:so hendo is #7 on offense and #3 on defense, yet #11 overall? im confused?

I think it's just a math error, based on his formula you should add the absolute value of a negative defensive rating to the offensive rating. Looks like he just subtracted instead.

-.29 + .87 = .58

... if I'm understanding correctly, that would rank him second overall.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
EwingSweatsALot
Veteran
And1: 919

Post#63 » by EwingSweatsALot » Wed Feb 5, 2014 7:36 pm

I'll try my best to explain again. In another post I tried to say that Henderson's defense number should be a positive and not a negative. Which has thrown it off. Here are the lists below with Henderson's correction.

Offense:
Anthony Tolliver (0.48)
Al Jefferson (.44)
Chris Douglas-Roberts (.31)
Bizmack Biyombo (.10)
Josh McRoberts (-.11)
Kemba Walker (-.11)
Gerald Henderson (-.29)
Jeff Adrien (-.4)
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (-1.18)
Cody Zeller (-1.18)
Ramon Sessions (-1.6)
Jeff Taylor (-2.1)

Defense
Bizmack Biyombo (-1.68)
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (-1.52)
Jeff Adrien (-.66)
Ramon Sessions (-.66)
Kemba Walker (-.5)
Josh McRoberts (-.15)
Jeff Taylor (-.12)
Chris Douglas-Roberts (-.07)
Cody Zeller (-.04)
Anthony Tolliver (.57)
Al Jefferson (.59)
Gerald Henderson (.87)

So how I got the total. Obviously for offense more points over the average is better because you are scoring more. For defense more points below the average is better because you are allowing less. The issue is though if you add Bizmacks two together it comes out to -1.58. So it is really showing that he is below average. So you have to take the opposite sign for defense so that the positives and negatives correlate to each other. Because positives are good for offense and negatives are good for defense adding them together doesn't work. That's why you have to make positives negatives and vice versa for defense.

I use Biz's because both of his numbers are better than average for each category, but if you add them together, as is without changing the sign on defense, then it shows he is below average at -1.58 when in fact he is .1 points better on offense and 1.68 points better on defense. Hence a total of 1.78.

Final
Bizmack Biyombo (1.78)
Kemba Walker (.39)
Chris Douglas-Roberts (.38)
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (.34)
Jeff Adrien (.25)
Josh McRoberts (.04)
Anthony Tolliver (-.09)
Al Jefferson (-.15)
Ramon Sessions (-.95)
Cody Zeller (-1.13)
Gerald Henderson (-1.16)
Jeff Taylor (-1.98)
LamarMatic7

Post#64 » by LamarMatic7 » Wed Feb 5, 2014 7:40 pm

Oh, ok....

That's what you meant by "The middle number should actually be a positive. Not a negative."

Hendo's assignments are surprisingly accurate at their shots then.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,620

Post#65 » by fatlever » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:32 pm

random stat

bobcats are 0-6 in saturday home games this season
LamarMatic7

Post#66 » by LamarMatic7 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:43 pm

fatlever wrote:random stat

what's the night life like in Charlotte on Fridays?
mrknowitall215
RealGM
And1: 2,384

Post#67 » by mrknowitall215 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:50 pm

LamarMatic7 wrote:

Fun...and when the alcohol get in the system around so many bi-sexual women there's a good chance you may receive a ménage à trois (aka threesome) as a nightcap. I know from personal experience. That's fun with facts
LamarMatic7

Post#68 » by LamarMatic7 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:57 pm

mrknowitall215 wrote:
LamarMatic7 wrote:

Fun...and when the alcohol get in the system around so many bi-sexual women there's a good chance you may receive a ménage à trois (aka threesome) as a nightcap. I know from personal experience. That's fun with facts

damn. I really should become a Bobcats reporter one day.
mrknowitall215
RealGM

Post#69 » by mrknowitall215 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:00 pm

LamarMatic7 wrote:
mrknowitall215 wrote:
LamarMatic7 wrote:what's the night life like in Charlotte on Fridays?

Ask Bonnell if he need a assistant 8-)
LamarMatic7

Post#70 » by LamarMatic7 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:02 pm

mrknowitall215 wrote:
LamarMatic7 wrote:
mrknowitall215 wrote:

I'd go mental, if I had to be Bonnell's intern.

me - how about we write something about the way we failed at guarding PnRs yesterday?
Bonnell - nah. I'll just make a couple of tweets about us not taking a shot before the shot clock expired. we'll be good.
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#71 » by BlackOutBuzz » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:05 pm

mrknowitall215 wrote:
LamarMatic7 wrote:
mrknowitall215 wrote:

Ask Bonnell if he needs a successor 8-)

Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
LamarMatic7

Post#72 » by LamarMatic7 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:09 pm

BlackOutBobcat wrote:
mrknowitall215 wrote:
LamarMatic7 wrote:damn. I really should become a Bobcats reporter one day.

at the end of the day, it's only a pipe dream.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,832

Post#73 » by Diop » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:37 am

LamarMatic7 wrote:
mrknowitall215 wrote:
LamarMatic7 wrote:damn. I really should become a Bobcats reporter one day.

I'd go mental, if I had to be Bonnell's intern.

me - how about we write something about the way we failed at guarding PnRs yesterday?
Bonnell - nah, I have important research to get back to (starts watching slow motion video of Steph Curry while listening to James Blunt "You're beautiful") orders you out of the room when you hear him mumble "My hands are all dry, where's my moisturiser"

fixed
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,832

Post#74 » by Diop » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:41 am

LamarMatic7 wrote:
BlackOutBobcat wrote:
mrknowitall215 wrote:

at the end of the day, it's only a pipe dream.

You have to get better at belittling/berating fans.

Ignore the intelligent tweets, but concentrate one the ones you can pick on to feel better about yourself.
And of course, retweet everytime someone tweets anything close to a compliment.

You have to broadcast how lucky everyone is that you suffer to do that job, seeing how horrible it is reporting on the Bobcats.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,620

Post#75 » by fatlever » Mon Mar 3, 2014 10:41 pm

i forgot about this thread... posted earlier in the 2nd team thread. figured it would be good to keep it here for long-term

good of place as any for this discussion...

i am looking at two man combinations that have played more than 200 minutes together this season, mainly to prove that henderson and MKG shouldnt play many minutes together on offense. as expected they are a mess when paired together with an ORTG of 96.3. however, defensively they are stout with a DRTG of 95.7. MKG and kemba much any better with an OTRG of 96.9.

its hard to pair MKG with either biyombo or zeller on the floor as well. those combinations are actually worse. ORTG of 86.5 with MKG is paired with biz and ORTG of 90.4 when MKG is paired with zeller. (both have DTRGs more than 10 points higher).

so it seems that MKG needs to stay on the floor with jefferson at the very least (99.1 when together). al helps MKG's offense while MKG helps Jefferson's defense. however, jefferson and tolliver have the second highest ORTG at 106.5 (1st is mcroberts and tolliver at 107.3 - but that pairing is a little worse defensively). MKG at least has a fighting chance when he is with jefferson though, as compared to playing with biz which is a trainwreck.

so that would mean that its hendo that needs to shift to playing more with the 2nd team, not MKG. right? not so quick, henderson and zeller also form a terrible duo with an ORTG of 90.8 and a DRTG of 105.9. wow. pretty much zeller and anyone is a horrible matchup. (granted this data is for the entire year and zeller has been much better lately)

tolliver is listed in 4 of the 5 best duos in terms of net rating (OTRG minus DTRG). kemba and sessions were actually #1.

what did i learn from this? tolliver deserves as many minutes as he can handle. zeller deserves less minutes. don't expect the offense to do anything when MKG is on the floor, but expect the defense to be good enough to break even in most cases if he is paired with kemba, hendo or jefferson. playing MKG with the 2nd team is a bad idea.

my suggestions would be to keep the starters, but separate hendo and MKG as early as possible by bringing in tolliver for hendo and sliding MKG to sg. from that point on, try to keep one of tolliver or neal in the lineup, but at the same time limiting MKG from playing with the 2nd team bigs.

how does the data change when we limit it to the past 20 games, pairing with 100 minutes together? overall our offense has been much better with all but two pairings above 98 OTRG. (zeller/MKG and zeller/hendo well below 98)

also, tolliver is a superstar for our offense. he dominates the top pairings. 5 of the top 6 offensive pairings include tolliver.

henderson, zeller and MKG litter the bottom 10 offensive pairings. zeller continues to be awful when paired with either MKG or henderson. 5 of the bottom 10 offensive pairings include henderson. same for MKG. 3 of the bottom 10 include zeller (but they are 3 of the worst 4).

defensively biz and mcroberts represent the worst duo. tolliver actually is included in the 3 best defensive duos (paired with CDR, zeller and kemb... go figure)

net ratings... once again, tolliver is the superstar. top 5 pairings all include tolliver, led by kemba/tolliver with a +18pt net rating. at the bottom, the previously mentioned nightmare duos of zeller and MKG and zeller and hendo, with lots of MKG and hendo in other pairings at the bottom.

MORE TOLLIVER, LESS MKG, LESS HENDO.

3 man lineups over the past 20 games?

well, the two best duos were kemba/tolliver and zeller/tolliver. what happens when you play all 3 together? MAGIC. OTRG 114, DTRG 87.2, net rating of +27. (114 minute sample size, so could be a fluke).

the top 7 three man lineups by net rating include... you guessed it... anthony (the most underrated bobcat ever) tolliver.

oh no... wrinkle in the matrix, the worst trio - biz, mcroberts... and tolliver. i'll chalk that up as a fluke. (only 110 minutes)

only eight 3-man lineups have a net negative rating over the past 20 games. who is featured the most in those?
henderson - 6
jefferson - 4
mcroberts - 4
MKG - 3
tolliver - 2
sessions - 2
biyombo - 1

(i guess there arent any 3 man lineups with zeller and MKG/hendo that have over 100 minutes or surely they would be at the bottom.)

pretty impressive that kemba wasnt in a single 3 man lineup in the bottom eight when the rest of the starters were in at least 3 or more.

MORE TOLLIVER, MORE KEMBA, LESS HENDERSON
mrknowitall215
RealGM

Post#76 » by mrknowitall215 » Mon Mar 3, 2014 10:59 pm

fatlever wrote:i forgot about this thread... posted earlier in the 2nd team thread. figured it would be good to keep it here for long-term

good of place as any for this discussion...

i am looking at two man combinations that have played more than 200 minutes together this season, mainly to prove that henderson and MKG shouldnt play many minutes together on offense. as expected they are a mess when paired together with an ORTG of 96.3. however, defensively they are stout with a DRTG of 95.7. MKG and kemba much any better with an OTRG of 96.9.

its hard to pair MKG with either biyombo or zeller on the floor as well. those combinations are actually worse. ORTG of 86.5 with MKG is paired with biz and ORTG of 90.4 when MKG is paired with zeller. (both have DTRGs more than 10 points higher).

so it seems that MKG needs to stay on the floor with jefferson at the very least (99.1 when together). al helps MKG's offense while MKG helps Jefferson's defense. however, jefferson and tolliver have the second highest ORTG at 106.5 (1st is mcroberts and tolliver at 107.3 - but that pairing is a little worse defensively). MKG at least has a fighting chance when he is with jefferson though, as compared to playing with biz which is a trainwreck.

so that would mean that its hendo that needs to shift to playing more with the 2nd team, not MKG. right? not so quick, henderson and zeller also form a terrible duo with an ORTG of 90.8 and a DRTG of 105.9. wow. pretty much zeller and anyone is a horrible matchup. (granted this data is for the entire year and zeller has been much better lately)

tolliver is listed in 4 of the 5 best duos in terms of net rating (OTRG minus DTRG). kemba and sessions were actually #1.

what did i learn from this? tolliver deserves as many minutes as he can handle. zeller deserves less minutes. don't expect the offense to do anything when MKG is on the floor, but expect the defense to be good enough to break even in most cases if he is paired with kemba, hendo or jefferson. playing MKG with the 2nd team is a bad idea.

my suggestions would be to keep the starters, but separate hendo and MKG as early as possible by bringing in tolliver for hendo and sliding MKG to sg. from that point on, try to keep one of tolliver or neal in the lineup, but at the same time limiting MKG from playing with the 2nd team bigs.

how does the data change when we limit it to the past 20 games, pairing with 100 minutes together? overall our offense has been much better with all but two pairings above 98 OTRG. (zeller/MKG and zeller/hendo well below 98)

also, tolliver is a superstar for our offense. he dominates the top pairings. 5 of the top 6 offensive pairings include tolliver.

henderson, zeller and MKG litter the bottom 10 offensive pairings. zeller continues to be awful when paired with either MKG or henderson. 5 of the bottom 10 offensive pairings include henderson. same for MKG. 3 of the bottom 10 include zeller (but they are 3 of the worst 4).

defensively biz and mcroberts represent the worst duo. tolliver actually is included in the 3 best defensive duos (paired with CDR, zeller and kemb... go figure)

net ratings... once again, tolliver is the superstar. top 5 pairings all include tolliver, led by kemba/tolliver with a +18pt net rating. at the bottom, the previously mentioned nightmare duos of zeller and MKG and zeller and hendo, with lots of MKG and hendo in other pairings at the bottom.

MORE TOLLIVER, LESS MKG, LESS HENDO.

3 man lineups over the past 20 games?

well, the two best duos were kemba/tolliver and zeller/tolliver. what happens when you play all 3 together? MAGIC. OTRG 114, DTRG 87.2, net rating of +27. (114 minute sample size, so could be a fluke).

the top 7 three man lineups by net rating include... you guessed it... anthony (the most underrated bobcat ever) tolliver.

oh no... wrinkle in the matrix, the worst trio - biz, mcroberts... and tolliver. i'll chalk that up as a fluke. (only 110 minutes)

only eight 3-man lineups have a net negative rating over the past 20 games. who is featured the most in those?
henderson - 6
jefferson - 4
mcroberts - 4
MKG - 3
tolliver - 2
sessions - 2
biyombo - 1

(i guess there arent any 3 man lineups with zeller and MKG/hendo that have over 100 minutes or surely they would be at the bottom.)

pretty impressive that kemba wasnt in a single 3 man lineup in the bottom eight when the rest of the starters were in at least 3 or more.

MORE TOLLIVER, MORE KEMBA, LESS HENDERSON

"LESS HENDO" & "LESS HENDERSON" is always a good thing in my eyes
vorbis
Veteran
And1: 673

Post#77 » by vorbis » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:33 am

almost 8 months ago, my stat predictions revisited.

vorbis on Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:34 pm wrote:here goes nothing

al jefferson - 17 ppg 9.5 rpg 2apg 49% FG

21.4ppg 10.4rpg 2.1apg 51% FG

biyombo - 4ppg 8rpg 2bpg 46% FG

3.2ppg 4.9rpg 1.2bpg 61% FG

ben gordon - 8ppg 43% FG 42% 3FG

5.2ppg 34% FG 28% 3FG

b haywood - nothing significant

nailed it

henderson - 14ppg 3.5rpg 2apg 45% FG 33% 3FG

14.5ppg 4.1rpg 2.5apg 43% FG 30% 3FG

mkg - 10ppg 6.5rpg 46% FG 75% FT

7.5ppg 5rpg 47% FG 63% FT

mcroberts - 6ppg 5.5rpg 51% FG

8.4ppg 4.9rpg 44% FG

sessions - 11ppg 4apg 43% FG 83% FT

10.9ppg 3.7apg 42% FG 81% FT

taylor - 8ppg 44% FG 36% 3FG

8.0ppg 38% FG 27% 3FG

kemba - 16ppg 6.5apg 3.5rpg 43% FG 33% 3FG 2+spg

17.7ppg 5.7apg 4.2rpg 40% FG 34% 3FG 1.3spg

zeller - 10ppg 7rpg 2apg 50% FG

5.5ppg 4.2rpg 1.2apg 40% FG

didn't know about tolliver, CDR or the trade people yet.

i think it comes down to me getting the minute distribution between jefferson and biyombo wrong, with their numbers. give maybe 6 jefferson minutes to biyombo per game and my predictions look a lot more brag-worthy. henderson has been fairly predictable if you ask summer '13 me. i think i significantly overestimated zeller's production right away, though a strong finish could bring his final line closer to whatever it was i thought about him when i tried really hard and stuff in july 2013.

anyways i thought it was interesting to look back at this stuff, when i was finally able to find the thread. other people predicted, in case any of you want to revisit. there was another thread with this stuff, but i have no idea how to find it.

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1262894&start=105
mrknowitall215
RealGM

Post#78 » by mrknowitall215 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 6:45 pm

Kemba Walker: +3.0 NetRtg

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist: +1.9 NetRtg

Al Jefferson: +1.0 NetRtg

Josh McRoberts: +0.5 NetRtg

Gerald Henderson is the only starter that has a negative net rating (NetRtg) with -1.4

http://stats.nba.com/teamPlayers.html?T ... de=PerGame
mrknowitall215
RealGM

Post#79 » by mrknowitall215 » Sun Apr 6, 2014 7:38 pm

Josh McRoberts is 2nd in the league in assist-to-turnover ratio, only behind Chris Paul

Kemba Walker has a higher assist to turnover ratio (+2.5) than Russell Westbrook (+1.7), Stephen Curry (+2.2), Damian Lillard (+2.3), John Wall (+2.4), Kyrie Irving (+2.3) and Goran Dragic (+2.1)

Charlotte Bobcats as a team is 1st in the league at allowing the least turnovers per game
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,499

Post#80 » by GoBobs » Mon Apr 7, 2014 8:01 am

Biz is 3rd in Blocks per 48 minutes, slightly behind only Anthony Davis and S Ibaka. He is 12th in rebounds per 48 minutes. Davis is 38th in rebounds per 48 and Ibaka is 55th. Al Jefferson is 25th in rebounds and 52nd in blocks.

Jefferson is tied for 4th in FG made per game. He is tied for 11th in pts per game. He is 27th in FG% and 113th in FT%. Out of the top 20 guys in points per game he has the 6th best FG% and the worst FT%.

Return to Charlotte Hornets