ImageImage

The Marvin Gaye Williams Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

ARHornet
Pro Prospect
And1: 260

Re: The Marvin Williams Thread 

Post#21 » by ARHornet » Wed Jul 9, 2014 1:06 am

MasterIchiro wrote:Clifford's "size matters" mantra (what a whore) has me thinking he sees Marvin Williams more as a big SF than as a small PF. Again MKG could be going for Hayward so Williams is needed. You can't let Taylor back up SF behind Hayward with Taylor's achilles.

Or, more than likely, Williams is being brought in to backup MKG. I know you don't want to believe it, but MKG probably isn't being traded.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,621

Post#22 » by fatlever » Wed Jul 9, 2014 1:07 am

tolliver brings just as much as marvin at half the price and tolliver knows the offense and the team.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,703

Post#23 » by KembaWalker » Wed Jul 9, 2014 1:09 am

I'd rather overpay CDR than get Marvin for a steal. like, its not even close
Stun704
Lead Assistant
And1: 226

Post#24 » by Stun704 » Wed Jul 9, 2014 1:10 am

ARHornet wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:Clifford's "size matters" mantra (what a whore) has me thinking he sees Marvin Williams more as a big SF than as a small PF. Again MKG could be going for Hayward so Williams is needed. You can't let Taylor back up SF behind Hayward with Taylor's achilles.

Or, more than likely, Williams is being brought in to backup MKG. I know you don't want to believe it, but MKG probably isn't being traded.

MKG is not being traded. Dude is just trolling at this point. I would not trade Gilly for Hayward straight up on rookie contracts let alone a sign and trade. Hayward is not a difference maker what so ever.
Pimpwerx wrote:I was a fan of the Lakers...Yankees... It took me almost a decade to become a fan of the Miami teams...I know it's frowned upon, but if you can look at it as an outsider, it's easier to understand why it happens. PEACE.
ARHornet
Pro Prospect

Post#25 » by ARHornet » Wed Jul 9, 2014 1:15 am

fatlever wrote:tolliver brings just as much as marvin at half the price and tolliver knows the offense and the team.

The price is what's important to me. Williams is an upgrade over Tolly, but not so much it's worth giving him a good contract when we could just retain Tolly for cheap. Unless Williams is coming cheap I have no interest.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#26 » by DY_nasty » Wed Jul 9, 2014 1:25 am

What did Tolliver do outside of hit that 3?

Dude was essentially worthless outside of that. Overrated defender, terrible rebounder, completely incapable of doing anything with the ball.

At least Williams is decent at some of those things 4 out of 7 days in the week. Tolliver when he wasn't hitting that 3 was worse than Graham.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,832

Post#27 » by Diop » Wed Jul 9, 2014 1:26 am

Absinthe wrote:The very definition of a mediocrity and underachiever.

this sums him up best for me.

Atlanta put a lot of time and effort into this dude and he just never developed
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#28 » by DY_nasty » Wed Jul 9, 2014 1:29 am

Sachmo wrote:
Absinthe wrote:The very definition of a mediocrity and underachiever.

this sums him up best for me.

Atlanta put a lot of time and effort into this dude and he just never developed

well maybe they should've drafted chris paul instead of UNC's 6th man and 2nd best guy named Williams
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,832

Post#29 » by Diop » Wed Jul 9, 2014 1:33 am

Then they followed that up next year by drafting Shelden Williams, and people pick on our drafting.
ARHornet
Pro Prospect

Post#30 » by ARHornet » Wed Jul 9, 2014 1:34 am

Some people need to let go of the fact Williams was the number 2 pick and view him as what he is now: a solid NBA role player. Where he was picked is irrelevant now.
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#31 » by Eoghan » Wed Jul 9, 2014 2:06 am

Please god no. I would rather wipe poison ivy on my rusty sheriff's badge than see this scrub in purple and teal.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,524

Post#32 » by Bassman » Wed Jul 9, 2014 2:38 am

BrotherDave wrote:Please god no. I would rather wipe poison ivy on my rusty sheriff's badge than see this scrub in purple and teal.

Ditto Brother D. Williams is puke on a stick, with morning breath and an STD for your trouble. Run away people.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#33 » by HornetJail » Wed Jul 9, 2014 2:42 am

I think Marvin Williams can still play and if he can be had for less than $3M, I'd take him. However I would hope it's not at the expense of CDR.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#34 » by HornetJail » Wed Jul 9, 2014 2:42 am

JDR720 wrote:Our goal this offseason = Steal at least 1 Utah Jazz player

John Lucas III
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#35 » by Snidely FC » Wed Jul 9, 2014 2:44 am

Williams, 28, is perhaps the best available power forward left on the free-agent market and it could be paramount to the Hornets to secure him. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/hornets-pu ... 55659.html

So, all you fans crowing about letting McRoberts go so that Cody and Noah can fight it out to see who starts and how well they'll develop with all that newfound playing time? Ha, jokes on you. CHA mgmt wants Marvin Williams to be your next starting PF. Read that sentence again. Feel better? I just threw up in my mouth.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#36 » by LofJ » Wed Jul 9, 2014 2:55 am

Marvin is a pretty good shooter and rebounder, he's not a scrub by any means. He actually had the 3rd highest winshares/48 on the team behind Favors (a stud) and Evans (Hayward was 5th btw).
mrknowitall215
RealGM
And1: 2,384

Post#37 » by mrknowitall215 » Wed Jul 9, 2014 3:04 am

I hope this thread dies a million deaths. I want no parts of Marvin Williams on the Hornets, and if we do acquire him, I will ridicule him at every chance, because there will be a lot of chances
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#38 » by DY_nasty » Wed Jul 9, 2014 3:10 am

Snidely FC wrote:
Williams, 28, is perhaps the best available power forward left on the free-agent market and it could be paramount to the Hornets to secure him. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/hornets-pu ... 55659.html

So, all you fans crowing about letting McRoberts go so that Cody and Noah can fight it out to see who starts and how well they'll develop with all that newfound playing time? Ha, jokes on you. CHA mgmt wants Marvin Williams to be your next starting PF. Read that sentence again. Feel better? I just threw up in my mouth.

there's no way marvin williams will be starting for this team or any. probably nothing but a poor choice of words - despite having amazing connections with agents and insiders, woj is a horrible writer and has been for years.

marvin for 3 mil per is a solid deal though.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#39 » by Snidely FC » Wed Jul 9, 2014 3:12 am

Readers on this board need to be reminded that Clifford used McRoberts the way he did because the team's offense has to be tailored to fit Al Jefferson. The high post passing wasn't because of any deficiencies in Kemba, it wasn't due to any deficiencies in Josh, it was to create the spacing needed for Al to operate. Even if Zeller has improved his shot in the offseason his passing was pretty awful last season. He'll get better as he gains experience, but playing him in that high post role that Josh occupied? Vonleh looks like a pick and pop PF, not a high post facilitator. And let's not forget, for all of Vonleh's projected talent, he is 18. 18! Dwight Howard didn't help ORL to a plus .500 record until his third year in the league. Temper those expectations for Vonleh. So, does Marvin Williams fit that high post PF role for this offense, tailored for Al? WTF????
vorbis
Veteran
And1: 675

Post#40 » by vorbis » Wed Jul 9, 2014 3:15 am

maybe Charlotte will become the island of misfit Tarheels. maybe it already has.

Return to Charlotte Hornets