Re: Rustler - The Jeremy Lamb Thread 

Post#1461 » by fatlever » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:16 pm

full pic.... for the balloons.

JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,143

Post#1462 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:19 pm

Part of me is worried about trading Batum to get cap space because I can already see us overpaying Lamb this summer with that money.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#1463 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:30 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Part of me is worried about trading Batum to get cap space because I can already see us overpaying Lamb this summer with that money.

What do you consider a overpay and what would be reasonable? Probably difficult to say since the market usually determines this but I’d like to get a gauge of how much you think he’s worth based on his current play.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,044

Post#1464 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:47 pm

catch20two wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Part of me is worried about trading Batum to get cap space because I can already see us overpaying Lamb this summer with that money.

What do you consider a overpay and what would be reasonable? Probably difficult to say since the market usually determines this but I’d like to get a gauge of how much you think he’s worth based on his current play.

Worth 12.5ish. Will get 14. His agent will point to Will Barton, Dion Waiters, etc and how awful they've been while getting paid what they do.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,634

Post#1465 » by yosemiteben » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:20 pm

Good question catch, I really don't know how much I want to pay Lamb.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,143

Post#1466 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:56 pm

catch20two wrote:

Tough to say just because we haven’t seen him have success outside our team. A good question to ask is how many NBA teams does Lamb start for around the league? So are we paying him like a starter or a 6th man?

I would say in an a vacuum he is worth something like this:
1/15 mil or 2/26 or 3/33.

Problem is we aren’t in a vacuum. We have to consider that we have a lottery pick on a cheap contract playing behind him, so I would look to keep deal short in that case.

Next is we have a lot of middling contracts in the teens already. Don’t think it makes sense to add another. I would lean towards trading him or letting him walk and using a mix of Monk and a cheaper option (something like Lamb deal now 3/21).

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#1467 » by 316Hornets » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:13 pm

I don't think Lamb will have a lot of starting options in the league that puts him in a better position than he has here in Charlotte. None of his stats are really that spectacular. Is he really worth 14 mil? I don't think so. Wayne Ellington had a similar looking year last year and signed a 1 year/6.2 million dollar deal to stay with the Heat. I could see Lamb signing a similar type deal to remain here as the starter and hope he can improve next year to earn a longer, more lucrative contract. Maybe 1 year/7-8 million.

If he starts carrying more of a load, maybe he gets a Tyreke Evans type deal in the range of 10-12 mil. Not as of right now though.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1468 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:17 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
catch20two wrote:

Tough to say just because we haven’t seen him have success outside our team. A good question to ask is how many NBA teams does Lamb start for around the league? So are we paying him like a starter or a 6th man?

I would say in an a vacuum he is worth something like this:
1/15 mil or 2/26 or 3/33.

Problem is we aren’t in a vacuum. We have to consider that we have a lottery pick on a cheap contract playing behind him, so I would look to keep deal short in that case.

Next is we have a lot of middling contracts in the teens already. Don’t think it makes sense to add another. I would lean towards trading him or letting him walk and using a mix of Monk and a cheaper option (something like Lamb deal now 3/21).

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Being that Lamb is top 12 in both PER and RPM among shooting guards in the NBA I think there’s a good chance he’d qualify to start for a considerable amount of teams around the league.

People tried to say last season was a outlier for Lamb and now he’s continued that good play into this season. Lamb’s consistency lies within consistent minutes and he produces the more he gets playing time. That’s been a constant throughout his career dating back to his OKC days.

I agree with only signing Lamb to a 2-3 year deal if we were to offer him a deal. I doubt he’s able to demand anything more than $15M yearly but I think we can retain him for somewhere between $12-14M yearly in which he’s more than worth.

Not re-signing Lamb because of Monk would be a mistake unless the team plans to go into rebuild mode. Monk hasn’t shown anything to make it appear that he’s remotely capable of starting in the NBA. His offense is currently almost as bad as his defense because of his shot selection and inefficiency. Then he can’t defend either guard position (yet).

And just because we overpaid for Batum, Cody, MKG, and Marv don’t mean we shouldn’t re-sign more than serviceable players to reasonable contracts. You can’t compile mistakes with more mistakes.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1469 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:27 pm

316Hornets wrote:I don't think Lamb will have a lot of starting options in the league that puts him in a better position than he has here in Charlotte. None of his stats are really that spectacular. Is he really worth 14 mil? I don't think so. Wayne Ellington had a similar looking year last year and signed a 1 year/6.2 million dollar deal to stay with the Heat. I could see Lamb signing a similar type deal to remain here as the starter and hope he can improve next year to earn a longer, more lucrative contract. Maybe 1 year/7-8 million.

If he starts carrying more of a load, maybe he gets a Tyreke Evans type deal in the range of 10-12 mil. Not as of right now though.

I don’t think you can compare 30yo Ellington’s last season to 26yo Lamb’s current season for reasons far beyond age. Ellington had a negative RPM and a PER a few points below the league average 15. Not to mention the raw stats weren’t really comparable.

Ellington had a solid season last year but there’s a few reasons why he was only offered a 1yr/$6.2M deal and why Lamb would command at least double that.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#1470 » by 316Hornets » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:33 pm

catch20two wrote:
316Hornets wrote:I don't think Lamb will have a lot of starting options in the league that puts him in a better position than he has here in Charlotte. None of his stats are really that spectacular. Is he really worth 14 mil? I don't think so. Wayne Ellington had a similar looking year last year and signed a 1 year/6.2 million dollar deal to stay with the Heat. I could see Lamb signing a similar type deal to remain here as the starter and hope he can improve next year to earn a longer, more lucrative contract. Maybe 1 year/7-8 million.

I don’t think you can compare 30yo Ellington’s last season to 26yo Lamb’s current season for reasons far beyond age. Ellington had a negative RPM and a PER a few points below the league average 15. Not to mention the raw stats weren’t really comparable.

Ellington had a solid season last year but there’s a few reasons why he was only offered a 1yr/$6.2M deal and why Lamb would command at least double that.

Not too many teams in the league giving out 12 million dollar deals because of RPM. Ellington is a career 38% 3 point shooter at 3.8 attempts a game. Jeremy Lamb is 34% at 2.8 attempts a game. Fact is his game isn't worth the big dollars because a lot of players can play his role. He also isn't the biggest marketing draw since the dude is pretty quiet. With a new baby on the way, I could see him not wanting to change and Charlotte giving him enough to make him stay.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,612

Post#1471 » by fatlever » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:41 pm

we'll have to go into lux tax to resign lamb, assuming kemba stays. i cant see mj doing that.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1472 » by catch20two » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:44 pm

316Hornets wrote:
catch20two wrote:

Not too many teams in the league giving out 12 million dollar deals because of RPM. Ellington is a career 38% 3 point shooter at 3.8 attempts a game. Jeremy Lamb is 34% at 2.8 attempts a game. Fact is his game isn't worth the big dollars because a lot of players can play his role. He also isn't the biggest marketing draw since the dude is pretty quiet. With a new baby on the way, I could see him not wanting to change and Charlotte giving him enough to make him stay.

Unless his current production fall off a roof or he suffer a major injury mark my words that he’ll get at least $10M yearly even if it’s not with Charlotte.

It’s all conjecture since it’s more likely that he’ll be on another team next year anyway because Kupchak will have to move a lot of parts without jeopardizing the team’s talent level in order to make it work.

But quote me on it.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#1473 » by 316Hornets » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:33 am

fatlever wrote:we'll have to go into lux tax to resign lamb, assuming kemba stays. i cant see mj doing that.

I feel Marv or Biz could be buyout/stretch candidates if we can't get a trade done this year for an expiring before the deadline. I'd much rather have Lamb for another year than either of those two at the price we're paying.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1474 » by yosemiteben » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:46 am

I'm left wondering does Lamb really get us where we want to go. Assuming we resign him, are we saying he's a fixture in the starting lineup? If so, what sort of pieces are we thinking should supplement that lineup? I like Lamb but I also don't think he's a must retain piece. I'm not really sure where my head's at on what our strategy should be if we keep him.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1475 » by catch20two » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:57 am

yosemiteben wrote:I'm left wondering does Lamb really get us where we want to go. Assuming we resign him, are we saying he's a fixture in the starting lineup? If so, what sort of pieces are we thinking should supplement that lineup? I like Lamb but I also don't think he's a must retain piece. I'm not really sure where my head's at on what our strategy should be if we keep him.

If we want to go far we’re going to need a 3rd scorer that plays at an above average level. Whoever this 3rd scorer is gonna be whether it’s Lamb or not is gonna command at least $15M.

The biggest problem we’ve had is to put a 2nd scorer alongside Kemba. We get rid of Lamb we’re right back at square one of trying to put a 2nd scorer alongside Kemba and whenever we do get that 2nd scorer rather he compliments or upends Kemba we’re still going to need a 3rd scorer if we want to be better than a low seed playoff team in the East.

With that said Lamb is likely gone after this season due to our cap situation but if Kupchak was able to clear enough space to retain Lamb with Kemba then I think it’s a no-brainer. Any other player putting up Lamb’s production will command more.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1476 » by yosemiteben » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:47 am

So if Lamb is a third scorer, does that mean we need a more offensively gifted scorer than him in our starting lineup? If so, do we really want to pay $11-13M to a third scoring option with Monk and Miles on the bench and knowing that we need to acquire a better scoring option?

Feels like if we can use Lamb as part of a package to acquire a true second scoring option, we should do that. No?
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1477 » by catch20two » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:36 am

yosemiteben wrote:So if Lamb is a third scorer, does that mean we need a more offensively gifted scorer than him in our starting lineup? If so, do we really want to pay $11-13M to a third scoring option with Monk and Miles on the bench and knowing that we need to acquire a better scoring option?

Feels like if we can use Lamb as part of a package to acquire a true second scoring option, we should do that. No?

Name a perennial contender that don’t have 3 top scorers making over $11-13M.

I’ll wait.

Sidebar: Weren’t you okay with MKG, Cody, and Marv +$11-13 contracts? :lol:
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1478 » by yosemiteben » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:20 am

You didn't really answer the question. If we resign Lamb without a true second scoring option, what's the plan to get that second scoring option? Honestly it seems like the most logical path is to sign Lamb to that deal then trade him opportunistically to upgrade, not keep him as a fixture in the starting lineup.

I'm just trying to understand how resigning Lamb fits into a long term strategy of improving the team. Not saying it doesn't, but it's not clear to me how it does.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#1479 » by 316Hornets » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:32 am

yosemiteben wrote:You didn't really answer the question. If we resign Lamb without a true second scoring option, what's the plan to get that second scoring option? Honestly it seems like the most logical path is to sign Lamb to that deal then trade him opportunistically to upgrade, not keep him as a fixture in the starting lineup.

I'm just trying to understand how resigning Lamb fits into a long term strategy of improving the team. Not saying it doesn't, but it's not clear to me how it does.

We don't have a lot of money to go around and Lamb won't be that expensive. You pretty much know what you are going to get with him and he fits alongside Kemba, and they have a history together. Letting Lamb go, you are going to be asking for a lot to replace him. Is monk going to slide into the starting lineup? That's quite a leap for a guy that is just adjusting to the NBA life.

The plan to get the second scoring option is to develop Miles Bridges into a starter and find a way to get rid of Batum and Marvin. Then we go look for that 2nd scoring option at the 4 position.

Maybe, if you could explain why you think the easiest place to get a 2nd scoring option is at the 2 position? If we can get Lamb for a prove it deal for another year since he hasn't really done it this year, seems like the easiest way to make sure we don't regress.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1480 » by catch20two » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:43 am

yosemiteben wrote:You didn't really answer the question. If we resign Lamb without a true second scoring option, what's the plan to get that second scoring option? Honestly it seems like the most logical path is to sign Lamb to that deal then trade him opportunistically to upgrade, not keep him as a fixture in the starting lineup.

Ok. I’ll play this little game with you.

Let’s take Beal for instance. I don’t even think we could net Beal for Lamb and our disinteresting assets but I’ll play along.

What type of package do you think we could put together with Lamb to get Beal?

Return to Charlotte Hornets