ImageImage

Motor Keeps Going: The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread III

Moderators: JDR720, BigSlam, yosemiteben, Diop, fatlever

stinger14
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,927
And1: 571
Joined: Jan 11, 2014
       

Re: Motor Keeps Going: The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread III 

Post#1321 » by stinger14 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:36 pm

My question is, if MKG does opt out and Tony Parker is not brought back, does the team have enough money to Max out Kemba and resign Lamb?
User avatar
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
Posts: 33,877
And1: 9,678
Joined: Dec 29, 2008
Location: Asheville, NC
   

Re: Motor Keeps Going: The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread III 

Post#1322 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:23 pm

MKG had surgery today to address a chronic groin strain. Will be available for training camp
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
User avatar
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
Posts: 51,188
And1: 8,075
Joined: Jun 04, 2001
Location: Terrapin Station
     

Re: Motor Keeps Going: The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread III 

Post#1323 » by fatlever » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:36 pm

Read on Twitter
Rich4114
Head Coach
Posts: 6,941
And1: 775
Joined: Mar 11, 2004
Location: PA
   

Re: Motor Keeps Going: The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread III 

Post#1324 » by Rich4114 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:15 pm

fatlever wrote:
Read on Twitter


Like, make it back in one season or over the life of a new contract? No, he wouldn't get $14m per year but I am positive he could get a deal that makes him more than $14m total. He hasn't opted in as of today. But the fact that he just had surgery makes me think he'll certainly opt in rather than test the market. However, once he does opt in we can trade him and he should know he's probably a good candidate to be traded as an expiring salary.
LofJ
General Manager
Posts: 8,710
And1: 5,999
Joined: Mar 29, 2014
   

Re: Motor Keeps Going: The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread III 

Post#1325 » by LofJ » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:41 pm

It's best for the team and MKG that he opt in. He'll make more money and the team is over the cap anyway. MKG also has enough utility as a player and an expiring contract to be of value to other teams. If we don't have him in our plans some team will want him. So why not make more money AND go to a team that wants you whether it's here or somewhere else?
Image
User avatar
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
Posts: 51,188
And1: 8,075
Joined: Jun 04, 2001
Location: Terrapin Station
     

Re: Motor Keeps Going: The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread III 

Post#1326 » by fatlever » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:17 pm

That's true. It doesn't really help the team at all for him to opt out. It may be better for his career in the long run but it certainly doesn't help us this year. Worst case scenario he's bench depth. Best-case scenarios he either help Kemba get to the playoffs or we can use his salary as trade bait later in the season.

It's not like he would ever become a distraction if he wasn't getting playing time. He's the Ultimate Team player.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
Posts: 7,404
And1: 2,521
Joined: Jan 22, 2012
Location: Burlington, NC
       

Re: Motor Keeps Going: The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread III 

Post#1327 » by BlackOutBuzz » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:08 am

There's certainly an argument for MKG to opt out. Still young, with rebounding and defensive tools any team could use, and most importantly gobs of cap space out there and simply not enough major dance partners to take it all. If nothing else I could see a team offering a high $ 1yr deal to help them reach the salary floor this year before taking another shot at FA next year.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk


Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2020: CHA 1, CLE 2 (SGA), BOS 2 (top 53 protected, Kemba :cry: )
2021: CHA 1, BRK 2 (Howard), LAC 2 (SGA)
2022: CHA 1; CHA 2
2023: CHA 1
Braggins
General Manager
Posts: 9,816
And1: 4,086
Joined: Jan 05, 2014

Re: Motor Keeps Going: The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread III 

Post#1328 » by Braggins » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:22 am

BlackOutBuzz wrote:There's certainly an argument for MKG to opt out. Still young, with rebounding and defensive tools any team could use, and most importantly gobs of cap space out there and simply not enough major dance partners to take it all. If nothing else I could see a team offering a high $ 1yr deal to help them reach the salary floor this year before taking another shot at FA next year.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk


Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This is why I thought he would opt out. There is a crazy amount of money in the market this offseason and the free agent class is super shallow after the top few guys. He'd still most likely lose some money if he opts out, but he might be able to get a decent enough contract that it will be worth the sacrifice to play in a better situation for himself.

The surgery and Kemba looking like he'll resign makes me think he'll opt in at this point, but it still wouldn't be surprising to me if he opted out.

This is a bit of a tangent, but was it actually low key a good move for Kupchak to essentially swap Howards expiring for a contract that expires next offseason since the market this year is so terrible and there wasn't going to be anything productive for them to do with the cap space?
User avatar
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
Posts: 33,877
And1: 9,678
Joined: Dec 29, 2008
Location: Asheville, NC
   

Re: Motor Keeps Going: The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread III 

Post#1329 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:33 am

What a bust of a pick.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 8,767
And1: 1,110
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: Motor Keeps Going: The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread III 

Post#1330 » by SWedd523 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:57 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:What a bust of a pick.

Yep.

The team desperately needed a star from that draft, and instead came out of it with a poor man's Tony Allen
Image
JMAC3
Veteran
Posts: 2,983
And1: 565
Joined: May 22, 2010
     

Re: Motor Keeps Going: The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread III 

Post#1331 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:40 pm

fatlever wrote:That's true. It doesn't really help the team at all for him to opt out. It may be better for his career in the long run but it certainly doesn't help us this year. Worst case scenario he's bench depth. Best-case scenarios he either help Kemba get to the playoffs or we can use his salary as trade bait later in the season.

It's not like he would ever become a distraction if he wasn't getting playing time. He's the Ultimate Team player.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app


Him opting out helps us a ton to stay under the luxury tax, something that MJ doesn’t want to pay. When is his trigger date?


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Image
User avatar
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
Posts: 7,404
And1: 2,521
Joined: Jan 22, 2012
Location: Burlington, NC
       

Re: Motor Keeps Going: The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread III 

Post#1332 » by BlackOutBuzz » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:30 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
fatlever wrote:That's true. It doesn't really help the team at all for him to opt out. It may be better for his career in the long run but it certainly doesn't help us this year. Worst case scenario he's bench depth. Best-case scenarios he either help Kemba get to the playoffs or we can use his salary as trade bait later in the season.

It's not like he would ever become a distraction if he wasn't getting playing time. He's the Ultimate Team player.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app


Him opting out helps us a ton to stay under the luxury tax, something that MJ doesn’t want to pay. When is his trigger date?


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
June 22

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2020: CHA 1, CLE 2 (SGA), BOS 2 (top 53 protected, Kemba :cry: )
2021: CHA 1, BRK 2 (Howard), LAC 2 (SGA)
2022: CHA 1; CHA 2
2023: CHA 1
tondi123
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,596
And1: 988
Joined: Dec 07, 2011

Re: Motor Keeps Going: The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread III 

Post#1333 » by tondi123 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:12 pm

If Kemba leaves MKG would be perfect for the tank. Roll him out there and let him shoot twelve times a game before he gets hurt and misses the rest of the season.
User avatar
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
Posts: 11,313
And1: 3,257
Joined: Jun 14, 2004
Location: Servant to lord Bargnani
   

Re: Motor Keeps Going: The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread III 

Post#1334 » by amcoolio » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:37 pm

We whiffed on 4 lottery picks in 4 years. Extremely hard to do.

Biyombo #7
MKG #2
Zeller #4
Vonleh #9
Image
User avatar
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
Posts: 51,188
And1: 8,075
Joined: Jun 04, 2001
Location: Terrapin Station
     

Re: Motor Keeps Going: The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread III 

Post#1335 » by fatlever » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:11 pm

amcoolio wrote:We whiffed on 4 lottery picks in 4 years. Extremely hard to do.

Biyombo #7
MKG #2
Zeller #4
Vonleh #9


um... 6 if you count frank and monk.

4 singles and 2 strike outs
User avatar
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 44,717
And1: 2,473
Joined: Jul 01, 2005

Re: Motor Keeps Going: The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread III 

Post#1336 » by BigSlam » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:22 pm

I fully expect the surgery to address a chronic groin strain to fix his offensive woes.

He's coming out Melo lite from this procedure.
BBMF'ers
User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 15,455
And1: 6,927
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: Motor Keeps Going: The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread III 

Post#1337 » by yosemiteben » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:23 pm

I mean...is Cody a whiff? Not like there were many better options that went lottery.
Braggins
General Manager
Posts: 9,816
And1: 4,086
Joined: Jan 05, 2014

Re: Motor Keeps Going: The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread III 

Post#1338 » by Braggins » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:59 pm

MKG ended up terrible value for a #2 overall pick, but I still think he is a solid rotation guy and no one else currently on the team can match his defensive impact, so I still like him on this team. He actually played pretty well last season for the first half of it, but he seemed to lose his edge in the 2nd half for some reason. If he comes back healthy and motivated next season I think he'll regain some more of his defensive value, which was still pretty good last season.

I also cut him some slack because of how much impact the two shoulder surgeries seemed to have had in derailing his development and I think the former front office did him super dirty in that situation. Everyone is going nuts about the Durant thing, but I think that situation with MKG was even worse in a lot of ways. He was cleared for full contact after 10 weeks when the team originally gave a 6 month timetable for his return, which was already a short estimate for that surgery, and he started playing again after 3 months. Also, it wasn't to come back for the NBA finals, it was just to save the teams chances at a low playoff seed...
User avatar
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
Posts: 11,313
And1: 3,257
Joined: Jun 14, 2004
Location: Servant to lord Bargnani
   

Re: Motor Keeps Going: The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread III 

Post#1339 » by amcoolio » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:59 pm

fatlever wrote:
amcoolio wrote:We whiffed on 4 lottery picks in 4 years. Extremely hard to do.

Biyombo #7
MKG #2
Zeller #4
Vonleh #9


um... 6 if you count frank and monk.

4 singles and 2 strike outs


I'd say Cody is a single, Biyombo, Frank, and MKG are fly outs, Vonleh is a strikeout, Monk is a bunt
Image
User avatar
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,628
And1: 1,552
Joined: Jan 19, 2011
Location: Asheville, NC
 

Re: Motor Keeps Going: The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread III 

Post#1340 » by Snidely FC » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:56 pm

I don't see any way he doesn't opt in. Who would pay him more than $13M?

Couple things though: MKG looked better as a PF/even small ball C when used that way this past season. He will also look way better running the court with the Young Guns than he ever did starting alongside Batum and Marvin. Really he has long been miscast as a SF. And shockingly, he raised his 3 pt avg from 0% (on 2 attempts) in '17-'18 to 34% on 47 attempts this past season. Rather miraculous but an upward trend nonetheless. If he can hit 3 pts at something close to league avg 35% (all from the shame corner but nevertheless they count) I believe he might prove useful, especially if the team skews younger this year, or a playoff contender might bite on him (and his expiring) in the trade market.

He has always been a luxury player that the CHA roster could ill afford. But his skillset could be attractive to perennial playoff teams. As a mobile PF or smallball C, he could provide versatility in the playoffs, like Mo Harkless, who is basically the same player, did in POR this year. Sell a contender on how much MKG can help them come playoff time - HOU, GS, MIL, BOS - then trade him for whatever you can get.

Return to Charlotte Hornets