ImageImage

Motor Keeps Going: The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread III

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

W_HAMILTON
RealGM
And1: 16,992

Re: Motor Keeps Going: The Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Thread III 

Post#1381 » by W_HAMILTON » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:01 pm

catch20two wrote:How much playing time do MKG get this upcoming season? Do he get 15-20 minutes per game as a backup or do he fall down to DNP-CD status completely out of the rotation?

Probably both. Several times over. Don't you remember Borrego's lineups?
Howard Mass wrote:You do not have the right to not be offended. Just because something is offensive to you does not mean that it breaks the board rules.
JDuaneWayne
Senior
And1: 115

Post#1382 » by JDuaneWayne » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:20 pm

LofJ wrote:Every time this thread gets bumped I expect to see a WoJ or Shams tweet saying he's been traded.

I don't know if I expect it but I desperately hope
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,201

Post#1383 » by amcoolio » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:35 am

Wow, go back and read the first 5 pages of this thread then the last 2 pages. Its super depressing.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#1384 » by catch20two » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:07 am

Still believe he could be a solid contributor on a playoff team as a bench defender. I wish there was a way he could join Kemba in Boston as a backup to Tatum/Brown/Hayward. MKG serves no purpose to Charlotte now because they’re not anywhere near being a playoff team as currently constructed.

Once you look at MKG and his stats from a logical perspective and not Hornets rose colored glasses you’d see that he’s as good as any backup wing in the NBA. Hopefully he’ll realize that he must attempt at least 3 three pointers per game in the modern NBA if he want to stick.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#1385 » by UNCNYC » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:21 pm

This was one of the few picks I was totally against mainly due to the fact that I wanted Lillard, or Beal so much in that draft. I actually wanted us to trade Kemba for Lillard.

I do think that MKG (if not injury prone) would have been a decent player on a winning team tho even without a jumper. Injuries and a bad contract and team that needed more from him offensively made him look worse than he is. Also knowing what we could have drafted instead doesn't help.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,474

Post#1386 » by LofJ » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:37 pm

Lack of confidence is what killed MKG. It should have been a giant red flag when he called up Calipari questioning whether he belonged in the league or not. He wasn't good enough to get picked number two, but he undoubtedly belonged in the league.

He was top 5 in his high school class and was the 2nd most impactful player on a championship team. If MKG lacked the self-confidence to understand even then that he belonged we should have known that him reaching his potential would be an uphill battle.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1387 » by catch20two » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:03 am

LofJ wrote:Lack of confidence is what killed MKG. It should have been a giant red flag when he called up Calipari questioning whether he belonged in the league or not. He wasn't good enough to get picked number two, but he undoubtedly belonged in the league.

He was top 5 in his high school class and was the 2nd most impactful player on a championship team. If MKG lacked the self-confidence to understand even then that he belonged we should have known that him reaching his potential would be an uphill battle.

A lot of that come down to coaching, front office, and the environment too. I don’t think Charlotte really put anyone in their best position to succeed over the years, not even Kemba since they took several years to surround him with shooting and even then it was kinda mediocre.

I’m honestly shocked they didn’t force MKG to attempt 3pters and Clifford’s system of putting him into the shame corner didn’t help his confidence any either.

A lot of players come into the league doubting their ability until a coach that see and believe in their potential force them to be aggressive. I remember Pop doing that with Kawhi and Thibs doing it with D-Rose.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
Splitta
Sophomore
And1: 174

Post#1388 » by Splitta » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:53 pm

I am not sure why MKG has so many defenders on this board. I like MKG and believe he is a good person but is not a quality NBA player and probably will never be. He has had 6 years and other than a little improvement with that awful looking shot of his, he has not developed. In fact, his defense and hustle has been lacking the last couple of year. You can't blame the coaches for his lack of development as the player should work to improve his game. Coaches are hired to win games and not coddle mediocre players. It is what it is.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#1389 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:04 am

It's about what could have been, I think. In an alternate universe, MKG is a 3&D SF, who is confident, rarely injured, and never got into his own head - ruining his shot.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1390 » by catch20two » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:31 am

Splitta wrote:I am not sure why MKG has so many defenders on this board. I like MKG and believe he is a good person but is not a quality NBA player and probably will never be. He has had 6 years and other than a little improvement with that awful looking shot of his, he has not developed. In fact, his defense and hustle has been lacking the last couple of year. You can't blame the coaches for his lack of development as the player should work to improve his game. Coaches are hired to win games and not coddle mediocre players. It is what it is.

It’s because he’s a quality player once you put it into perspective. Never lived up to his #2 overall draft pick selection but he’s consistently been a net plus player on the floor and plus defender as well. For all of his shortcomings he’s never been the reason we loss.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,035

Post#1391 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:49 am

catch20two wrote:
Splitta wrote:I am not sure why MKG has so many defenders on this board. I like MKG and believe he is a good person but is not a quality NBA player and probably will never be. He has had 6 years and other than a little improvement with that awful looking shot of his, he has not developed. In fact, his defense and hustle has been lacking the last couple of year. You can't blame the coaches for his lack of development as the player should work to improve his game. Coaches are hired to win games and not coddle mediocre players. It is what it is.

It’s because he’s a quality player once you put it into perspective. Never lived up to his #2 overall draft pick selection but he’s consistently been a net plus player on the floor and plus defender as well. For all of his shortcomings he’s never been the reason we loss.

Before he tore his labrum damn near twice in one year he was a defensive force and played balls to the wall. After that, well.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1392 » by catch20two » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:15 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
catch20two wrote:

Before he tore his labrum damn near twice in one year he was a defensive force and played balls to the wall. After that, well.

Yea he’s slowed down on his all-out hustle ever since then. Likely because he’s scared to suffer a significant injury like that again. That’s when everyone was calling his Crash 2.0 and he crashed.

MKG isn’t above criticism but he’s not a bad player. With Bridges and Bacon in the wings I understand why Charlotte want to move on though because MKG’s defense isn’t more important than the outlook and growth of those two. MKG’s lack of confidence and progression made his own bed.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,035

Post#1393 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:20 am

catch20two wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
catch20two wrote:It’s because he’s a quality player once you put it into perspective. Never lived up to his #2 overall draft pick selection but he’s consistently been a net plus player on the floor and plus defender as well. For all of his shortcomings he’s never been the reason we loss.

Yea he’s slowed down on his all-out hustle ever since then. Likely because he’s scared to suffer a significant injury like that again. That’s when everyone was calling his Crash 2.0 and he crashed.

MKG isn’t above criticism but he’s not a bad player. With Bridges and Bacon in the wings I understand why Charlotte want to move on though because MKG’s defense isn’t more important than the outlook and growth of those two. MKG’s lack of confidence and progression made his own bed.

Its not even MKG the player to me. He can still contribute. Just that damn contract. Along with literally half the team for that matter.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,595

Post#1394 » by NCHeels2008 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:40 am

I wish he'd go to San Antonio, probably too late but would like to see his career salvaged somewhere else
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,595

Post#1395 » by NCHeels2008 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:45 am

amcoolio wrote:Wow, go back and read the first 5 pages of this thread then the last 2 pages. Its super depressing.

wow man I wish I hadn't
Splitta
Sophomore
And1: 174

Post#1396 » by Splitta » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:20 pm

Wow....I went back and read those first 5 pages and they brought back memories when we all had high hopes for MKG. I do agree that MKG has a major confidence issue that has probably impacted his development. It seems he was really improving his shooting form working with Mark Price until Price took that ill-fated UNCC coaching job. It has been downhill since then although his outside shooting has improved but the rest of his game has declined. Its a shame as MKG seems to be a good guy but NBA players are paid well and are weeded out if they don't produce. Since this is a contract year maybe the old MKG will return or maybe traded where he can reach his potential in a specialized role. Hope the best for MKG.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,301

Post#1397 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:18 pm

Not all of us had high hopes for MKG. One of us had no hope at all from the beginning because MKG has rudimentary skills. He'd be dope at your neighborhood YMCA. That's why I shall refer to him as YMCAMKG from now on.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,301

Post#1398 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:26 pm

MKG came out strong last season. But by the end of the year he was missing bunnies and couldn't finish. He's entirely useless if you neutralize him inside the stripe and confiscate his garbage points. Very difficult for a YMCA squad to bully him in the paint. So I hope he finds a team near you and you can get his autograph like you always dreamed.
It has been written...
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,561

Post#1399 » by fatlever » Sat Dec 7, 2019 5:49 pm

What series of events would need to occur before mkg got more playing time this year?

He hasn't played a single minute since the first game. He doesn't get playing time and blowouts, I assume the coach doesn't want to embarrass him by throwing him out there when we're down 30. He also didn't get playing time a few weeks ago when PJ Washington picked up 4 fouls in the first 3 minutes of the game and Marvin needed a breather. He didn't get any playing time when Cody went out with an injury.

There have certainly been a few games where we could have used him instead of trotting out bacon for the 15th time. I get that we're developing youth but some of those were winnable games where some toughness rebounding and defense could have changed the outcome. Coach is really sticking to his guns on this one.

How many players would have to be incapacitated with a serious flu before nkg played another minute? I'm setting the over-under at 5.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#1400 » by DY_nasty » Sat Dec 7, 2019 5:55 pm

the simple answer is that he doesn't want to play and had to be drug back to the team after his leave of absence

dude is just being really nice and cool about collecting his check and supporting the team using the matt carroll retirement plan

he's been through a lot with the injuries and family stuff. his priorities are elsewhere until a trade happens most likely

Return to Charlotte Hornets