ImageImage

Greensboro Swarm: The G-League Thread

Moderators: fatlever, yosemiteben, Diop, BigSlam, JDR720

User avatar
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 35,170
And1: 31,425
Joined: Jul 09, 2013
     

Greensboro Swarm: The G-League Thread 

Post#1 » by JDR720 » Sat May 2, 2015 7:50 pm

BeesWax
General Manager
Posts: 7,669
And1: 1,569
Joined: Jul 04, 2001
       

Re: Hornets want to own & operate a D-League team 

Post#2 » by BeesWax » Sat May 2, 2015 8:03 pm

Please.
Image
Image
Hornet Mania
Head Coach
Posts: 6,528
And1: 5,121
Joined: Jul 05, 2014
Location: Dornbirn, Austria
     

Re: Hornets want to own & operate a D-League team 

Post#3 » by Hornet Mania » Sat May 2, 2015 8:20 pm

Sounds good to me. Greensboro would be a good spot, just a short trip up 85 and they've already got a nice arena right next to UNCG (and the ACC HoF).
User avatar
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
Posts: 35,130
And1: 11,365
Joined: Dec 29, 2008
Location: Asheville, NC
   

Re: Hornets want to own & operate a D-League team 

Post#4 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat May 2, 2015 8:28 pm

Asheville please thanks
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
User avatar
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 35,170
And1: 31,425
Joined: Jul 09, 2013
     

Re: Hornets want to own & operate a D-League team 

Post#5 » by JDR720 » Sat May 2, 2015 8:32 pm

I think Raleigh would be a good spot, sign a bunch of UNC/NC State/Duke players and fans will come.
User avatar
KEMBAtheMETEOR
RealGM
Posts: 39,172
And1: 8,432
Joined: Feb 05, 2012
Location: The 704
   

Re: Hornets want to own & operate a D-League team 

Post#6 » by KEMBAtheMETEOR » Sat May 2, 2015 8:32 pm

About damn time.

My guess is Greenville, SC.

Hopefully by then we'll stop signing 30 year olds as our 11th-15th men and start utilizing the D-League for young players.
LofJ
General Manager
Posts: 9,760
And1: 7,367
Joined: Mar 29, 2014
   

Re: Hornets want to own & operate a D-League team 

Post#7 » by LofJ » Sat May 2, 2015 8:32 pm

Greensboro is the obvious choice, it's close to both the Triangle and Charlotte and they have an arena.The Greensboro Bobcats -cheap and easy, most of the work is already done.
User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 17,296
And1: 10,674
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: Hornets want to own & operate a D-League team 

Post#8 » by yosemiteben » Sun May 3, 2015 12:03 am

Signs of life from the FO. Love seeing this, and very curious to see where it goes.
LofJ
General Manager
Posts: 9,760
And1: 7,367
Joined: Mar 29, 2014
   

Re: Hornets want to own & operate a D-League team 

Post#9 » by LofJ » Sun May 3, 2015 12:20 am

2017 is going to be a huge year for this franchise. The All-Star game, first year of our new D-League team, and Curry's free agency that summer. Charlotte needs to bring it hard.
User avatar
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
Posts: 12,708
And1: 4,934
Joined: Jun 14, 2004
Location: Servant to lord Bargnani
   

Re: Hornets want to own & operate a D-League team 

Post#10 » by amcoolio » Sun May 3, 2015 1:58 am

They will pick South Carolina but it should be Raleigh/Durham to get more Hornets interest over there. Play some games in Boone plz!
Image
User avatar
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 32,761
And1: 13,712
Joined: Jul 24, 2004
Location: House of Diop
 

Re: Hornets want to own & operate a D-League team 

Post#11 » by Diop » Sun May 3, 2015 2:17 am

there were a few times this season where I wish we had a 2nd team I could watch instead of the Hornets
Image
User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 17,296
And1: 10,674
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: Hornets want to own & operate a D-League team 

Post#12 » by yosemiteben » Sun May 3, 2015 2:57 am

amcoolio wrote:They will pick South Carolina but it should be Raleigh/Durham to get more Hornets interest over there.

I think no one would go to d league games in the Triangle. Pretty skeptical that it would make a difference.
User avatar
KEMBAtheMETEOR
RealGM
Posts: 39,172
And1: 8,432
Joined: Feb 05, 2012
Location: The 704
   

Re: Hornets want to own & operate a D-League team 

Post#13 » by KEMBAtheMETEOR » Sun May 3, 2015 5:34 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
amcoolio wrote:They will pick South Carolina but it should be Raleigh/Durham to get more Hornets interest over there.

I think no one would go to d league games in the Triangle. Pretty skeptical that it would make a difference.

Yeah, I highly doubt they would be able to compete with UNC/Duke/NCSU for fans. Somewhere in South Carolina makes sense- Greenville or Columbia most likely, so they're not too terribly far (~100 miles) from the Hornets arena. It would be hilarious and very fitting if we called that D-League team the Bobcats.
User avatar
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 35,170
And1: 31,425
Joined: Jul 09, 2013
     

Re: Hornets want to own & operate a D-League team 

Post#14 » by JDR720 » Sun May 3, 2015 5:45 pm

hopefully this means we keep our 2nd round picks now, could find a gem eventually.
User avatar
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
Posts: 51,448
And1: 8,439
Joined: Jun 04, 2001
Location: Terrapin Station
     

Re: Hornets want to own & operate a D-League team 

Post#15 » by fatlever » Sun May 3, 2015 8:51 pm

BizGilwalker wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
amcoolio wrote:They will pick South Carolina but it should be Raleigh/Durham to get more Hornets interest over there.

I think no one would go to d league games in the Triangle. Pretty skeptical that it would make a difference.

Yeah, I highly doubt they would be able to compete with UNC/Duke/NCSU for fans. Somewhere in South Carolina makes sense- Greenville or Columbia most likely, so they're not too terribly far (~100 miles) from the Hornets arena. It would be hilarious and very fitting if we called that D-League team the Bobcats.


The Greenville Bobcats. That's hilarious.
User avatar
OmegaAtrocity
Sophomore
Posts: 152
And1: 65
Joined: Aug 10, 2014
Location: Western NC
     

 

Post#16 » by OmegaAtrocity » Sun May 3, 2015 8:54 pm

Asheville would be awesome, but I bet they pick somewhere else.
User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 17,296
And1: 10,674
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: 

Post#17 » by yosemiteben » Sun May 3, 2015 9:24 pm

OmegaAtrocity wrote:Asheville would be awesome, but I bet they pick somewhere else.

There used to be an NBDL team in Asheville, the flight. Didn't make it, don't think they'll try again.
User avatar
OmegaAtrocity
Sophomore
Posts: 152
And1: 65
Joined: Aug 10, 2014
Location: Western NC
     

Re: Re: Re: 

Post#18 » by OmegaAtrocity » Sun May 3, 2015 10:59 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
OmegaAtrocity wrote:Asheville would be awesome, but I bet they pick somewhere else.

There used to be an NBDL team in Asheville, the flight. Didn't make it, don't think they'll try again.
The Altitude. I remember going to a couple of games, they moved when I was 10. And if I remember correctly, they were doing okay but moved to Tulsa because the Thunder bought the franchise.
User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 17,296
And1: 10,674
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: Re: Re: 

Post#19 » by yosemiteben » Sun May 3, 2015 11:17 pm

OmegaAtrocity wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
OmegaAtrocity wrote:Asheville would be awesome, but I bet they pick somewhere else.

There used to be an NBDL team in Asheville, the flight. Didn't make it, don't think they'll try again.
The Altitude. I remember going to a couple of games, they moved when I was 10. And if I remember correctly, they were doing okay but moved to Tulsa because the Thunder bought the franchise.

Ah Altitude, right, been a while.

I went to college near there and all I heard was that the attendance was awful. Was purely anecdotal though so maybe not accurate.

I do believe that the Asheville Tourists have the worst name of any professional sports team.
User avatar
OmegaAtrocity
Sophomore
Posts: 152
And1: 65
Joined: Aug 10, 2014
Location: Western NC
     

Re: Re: Re: Re: 

Post#20 » by OmegaAtrocity » Sun May 3, 2015 11:26 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
OmegaAtrocity wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:There used to be an NBDL team in Asheville, the flight. Didn't make it, don't think they'll try again.
The Altitude. I remember going to a couple of games, they moved when I was 10. And if I remember correctly, they were doing okay but moved to Tulsa because the Thunder bought the franchise.

Ah Altitude, right, been a while.

I went to college near there and all I heard was that the attendance was awful. Was purely anecdotal though so maybe not accurate.

I do believe that the Asheville Tourists have the worst name of any professional sports team.
Yeah I was a kid so I'm not really sure, and I couldn't find anything with a quick Google.

And yeah I was actually just having a conversation about how awful the Tourists' name is earlier today haha.

Return to Charlotte Hornets