ImageImage

Geometry: The Frank Kaminsky Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Re: Geometry: The Frank Kaminsky Thread 

Post#1981 » by HoopsMalone » Thu Dec 7, 2017 1:37 am

The upside to Frank sucking this year is that we get him at a nice cheap extension.

It would have sucked if he broke out this year and we signed him to like 4/$64 and then he sucked the next four years.

He's going to have to take like 4/$36 now I think. He has nice upside at that price.
ammofan
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#1982 » by ammofan » Thu Dec 7, 2017 2:00 am

HoopsMalone wrote:The upside to Frank sucking this year is that we get him at a nice cheap extension.

It would have sucked if he broke out this year and we signed him to like 4/$64 and then he sucked the next four years.

He's going to have to take like 4/$36 now I think. He has nice upside at that price.

Hopefully he's not under any contract period with us.
HoopsMalone
Veteran

Post#1983 » by HoopsMalone » Thu Dec 7, 2017 2:14 am

ammofan wrote:
HoopsMalone wrote:The upside to Frank sucking this year is that we get him at a nice cheap extension.

He's one of the faces of the franchise and offers good value, upside, and positional/lineup flexibility.

He's having a really tough season but he was too good last year to let him go when he's got zero leverage.

This is the year to be signing guys, not letting them walk. The entire league is capped out.

That said... he's got to show SOMETHING prior to year end.
ammofan
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#1984 » by ammofan » Thu Dec 7, 2017 3:18 am

HoopsMalone wrote:
ammofan wrote:

He's one of the faces of the franchise and offers good value, upside, and positional/lineup flexibility.

He's having a really tough season but he was too good last year to let him go when he's got zero leverage.

This is the year to be signing guys, not letting them walk. The entire league is capped out.

He's not one of our faces of the franchise. He's marketable due to his personality but he's an extremely average player. He's a shooter who can't shoot.
HoopsMalone
Veteran

Post#1985 » by HoopsMalone » Thu Dec 7, 2017 3:26 am

ammofan wrote:
HoopsMalone wrote:
ammofan wrote:

He's not one of our faces of the franchise. He's marketable due to his personality but he's an extremely average player. He's a shooter who can't shoot.

I'm saying He's white and marketable on a team who struggles with finances
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#1986 » by 316Hornets » Thu Dec 7, 2017 3:40 am

HoopsMalone wrote:
ammofan wrote:
HoopsMalone wrote:

I'm saying He's white and marketable on a team who struggles with finances

marketable to who? people in wisconsin? His college record doesn't mean anything to people in North Carolina.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#1987 » by HornetJail » Thu Dec 7, 2017 3:49 am

How can you possibly think Frank's production through 2 1/4 seasons has been worth $9M a year? How does that even make sense? I haven't seen enough from him to warrant any kind of sizeable contract. A 2 year, $10M contract? I could get behind that, since he's sometimes a rotation caliber player. I'm ready to cut our losses and trade him for anybody worth a **** at backup PG.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
HoopsMalone
Veteran

Post#1988 » by HoopsMalone » Thu Dec 7, 2017 4:01 am

MotorKeepsGoing wrote:

How can you possibly think Frank's production through 2 1/4 seasons has been worth $9M a year? How does that even make sense? I haven't seen enough from him to warrant any kind of sizeable contract. A 2 year, $10M contract? I could get behind that, since he's sometimes a rotation caliber player. I'm ready to cut our losses and trade him for anybody worth a **** at backup PG.

He played well for us the 2nd half of last season and he's still got that playmaking/shooting combo skillset that's very valuable from a PF.

The problem is his defense has been downright LOUSY this year. If he can't defend well enough to play the PF spot he becomes worth a lot less because of his rebounding limitations. However, with guys like MKG, Batum, and Lamb who all rebound well from the wing I think we need to go ahead and give Frank a shot at center before we arrive at a value for his extension.

Dwight is an expiring deal next year so we'll be looking to move him obviously. I wouldn't mind Deng/Clarkson/Randle for Dwight/MCW/Bacon right now... makes a lot of sense for both teams.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#1989 » by catch20two » Thu Dec 7, 2017 4:18 am

MotorKeepsGoing wrote:

The biggest problem with Frank is that our coaching staff AND FANS thinks he has a high basketball IQ so they allow him to try to create offense when in reality he needs to be limited to just taking open shots and making simple passes similar to Marv.

He’s not a great player but he can be a good player with his size and ability to shoot 3s occasionally. Honestly he should be a 5 in today’s modern NBA but we drafted him to be a PF and Dwight/Cody are on the roster so we have to play him out of position sorta kinda.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
HoopsMalone
Veteran

Post#1990 » by HoopsMalone » Thu Dec 7, 2017 4:43 am

catch20two wrote:
MotorKeepsGoing wrote:

The biggest problem with Frank is that our coaching staff AND FANS thinks he has a high basketball IQ so they allow him to try to create offense when in reality he needs to be limited to just taking open shots and making simple passes similar to Marv.

He’s not a great player but he can be a good player with his size and ability to shoot 3s occasionally. Honestly he should be a 5 in today’s modern NBA but we drafted him to be a PF and Dwight/Cody are on the roster so we have to play him out of position sorta kinda.

Offensively, he's a 5. Defensively, he's not a 5. He doesn't have the hand-eye coordination to rebound like a 5 either. We need him to become Ryan Anderson. I.E. Start making shots consistently and get in good enough shape that he's not a massive defensive liability
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#1991 » by catch20two » Thu Dec 7, 2017 4:45 am

HoopsMalone wrote:
catch20two wrote:
MotorKeepsGoing wrote:How can you possibly think Frank's production through 2 1/4 seasons has been worth $9M a year? How does that even make sense? I haven't seen enough from him to warrant any kind of sizeable contract. A 2 year, $10M contract? I could get behind that, since he's sometimes a rotation caliber player. I'm ready to cut our losses and trade him for anybody worth a **** at backup PG.

Offensively, he's a 5. Defensively, he's not a 5. He doesn't have the hand-eye coordination to rebound like a 5 either.

That’s why he’s not a starter. He can’t defend the 4 or the 5 position honestly. He’s just a warm body to throw out there. But his skill sets offensively can exploit 5s much more than 4s.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,241

Post#1992 » by amcoolio » Thu Dec 7, 2017 5:58 am

Put Frank in Boston or Houston or GS or Miami and he's an all-star and the Hornets get ridiculed for letting him go.

Lets face it, we are a **** organization who can't put a team together. Haven't been able to in franchise history
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
arthy704
Senior
And1: 110

Post#1993 » by arthy704 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 6:00 am

So what's needed as far as coaching development,drills ECT to get the good frank every game? If we can get the good frank that can offensively exploit 4s and 5s, that's really all we need to coast to top 6 to 4 in the east. As far as his defense go Idk know what would be the fix?
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,133

Post#1994 » by JDR720 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 6:28 am

he needs to put on some muscle and be a full time center.

he would at least have an offensive mismatch vs most teams.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,624

Post#1995 » by fatlever » Thu Dec 7, 2017 7:36 pm

thread has reached 100 pages. by realgm rules we now have to trade frank.

Return to Charlotte Hornets