120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,657

Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#1101 » by yosemiteben » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:43 pm

I personally think that is a stupid theory (that Lamb's play had anything to do with it).

Much more likely that he knew the team was all in on this season and he wanted to be a part of it.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#1102 » by catch20two » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:09 pm

yosemiteben wrote:I personally think that is a stupid theory (that Lamb's play had anything to do with it).

Much more likely that he knew the team was all in on this season and he wanted to be a part of it.

No offense taken but that’s what my gut feeling tells me. My stupid theories often get dismissed until light shines on it later. I mean it’s not exactly out of the realm of possibility at all.

Have you ever played sports? If you have then you’d probably seen the player play injured or rush back from injury to avoid losing starting spot story play out often. I’ll just assume that you’ve never played organized team sports as a teenager or adult.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1103 » by yosemiteben » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:48 pm

What in the history of Lamb and Batum's time here in CHA suggests that Batum has reason to be worried about Lamb's performance?

Like are you seriously saying Batum was worried that Cliff would diminish Batum's role in favor of Lamb?

It seems like an absurd idea to me.

You are also acting like Batum and Lamb can't play together, which I doubt is an assumption that Batum shares.
Kembastockton
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 56

Post#1104 » by Kembastockton » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:59 pm

yosemiteben wrote:What in the history of Lamb and Batum's time here in CHA suggests that Batum has reason to be worried about Lamb's performance?

Like are you seriously saying Batum was worried that Cliff would diminish Batum's role in favor of Lamb?

You are also acting like Batum and Lamb can't play together, which I doubt is an assumption that Batum shares.

Nothing in history. The fact that we drafted two players who can get minutes at the two suggests that Batum may no longer be needed if Lamb can thrive in starters minutes.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1105 » by yosemiteben » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:09 pm

Don't think drafting Monk and Bacon indicates a shift away from Batum, who we gave a max contract to the summer before.

Also seems pretty clear that neither Monk nor Bacon is anywhere close to pushing anyone out of our rotation.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1106 » by catch20two » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:32 pm

yosemiteben wrote:What in the history of Lamb and Batum's time here in CHA suggests that Batum has reason to be worried about Lamb's performance?

I don’t know about history because this team got a poor history of doing the right thing lol.

But common sense would’ve been to continue riding Lamb’s play as they suggested and slowly bring Batum along since he returned prematurely and still had elbow soreness. Duh!

The only absurdity is the stuff you be saying lol.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#1107 » by 316Hornets » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:48 pm

Batum is so untradeable at this point that it feels like beating a dead horse to criticize his play. Either he turns it around or we are just bottom dwellers for the next 2-3 years. We've invested too much money to throw him in the trash this early in his contract and no team is going to take a chance when he's playing so poorly. I'd like to see him get more spot minutes with the bench, but I have no idea how Batum would handle that. The last thing we'd want is for Batum to demand a trade or something like that and pretty much handcuff us into throwing away our future picks.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#1108 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:51 pm

catch20two wrote:
Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:I think that Nic rushed himself back, rather than the other way around.

And this.

Batum heard them Lamb footsteps on his heels. The team was playing well and Lamb was performing at a higher level as a starter than Batum had in the previous years, even his career season.

Nah. I don't buy that. Cliff is super loyal to his vets. Plus everyone in the league knows that the guys who get paid are the ones that start 99.999999% of the time.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1109 » by catch20two » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:05 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
catch20two wrote:
Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:I think that Nic rushed himself back, rather than the other way around.

And this.

Batum heard them Lamb footsteps on his heels. The team was playing well and Lamb was performing at a higher level as a starter than Batum had in the previous years, even his career season.

Nah. I don't buy that. Cliff is super loyal to his vets. Plus everyone in the league knows that the guys who get paid are the ones that start 99.999999% of the time.

Oh no I don’t buy that Clifford would’ve done it the same way Jerry Jones didn’t want to start Dak over Romo but what happens after a while is you get backed into a corner. If Romo could’ve returned from his injury within 3 weeks to avoid the people talking about Dak should continue starting then it would’ve never happened. Of course this is a different dynamic but it’s comparative in that sake.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1110 » by catch20two » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:19 pm

The fact that Lamb played so well in Batum’s absence is the only reason so many people even got the gall to mention that Lamb should be starting. If it wasn’t for that elbow injury in preseason there wouldn’t be a single peep or a solid foundation of people daring to say that Lamb should start over Batum.

Now we got a list of journalist and fans saying that Lamb should start over Batum because they’ve seen what Lamb could be in that role versus what we’ve become accustomed of seeing from Batum in that role.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#1111 » by DY_nasty » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:37 am

catch20two wrote:The fact that Lamb played so well in Batum’s absence is the only reason so many people even got the gall to mention that Lamb should be starting. If it wasn’t for that elbow injury in preseason there wouldn’t be a single peep or a solid foundation of people daring to say that Lamb should start over Batum.

Now we got a list of journalist and fans saying that Lamb should start over Batum because they’ve seen what Lamb could be in that role versus what we’ve become accustomed of seeing from Batum in that role.

The illusion that Batum is still some passing some savant is a joke too
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#1112 » by HoopsMalone » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:59 am

I wonder if Denver would give us Wilson Chandler, Ken Faried, and Darell arthur for Batum and MCW (expiring).

All three of those guys are worthless but they'd all be entering their final year of their contract next year. They'd have some value as expiring contracts in a trade OR we could just let them expire and clear a ton of cap space along with Dwight's expiring deal.

Either way, we need out of the length of Batum's deal somehow. I don't think this situation is going to age gracefully. We have to wait until he plays a little better though so he doesn't appear to be complete deadweight.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#1113 » by Braggins » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:41 am

DY_nasty wrote:
catch20two wrote:The fact that Lamb played so well in Batum’s absence is the only reason so many people even got the gall to mention that Lamb should be starting. If it wasn’t for that elbow injury in preseason there wouldn’t be a single peep or a solid foundation of people daring to say that Lamb should start over Batum.

The illusion that Batum is still some passing some savant is a joke too

You can make a passing lowlight reel from almost every game he plays. I think a lot of us are so used to it that it barely gets mentioned anymore. He had like 3-4 face palm worthy passing turnovers in the Golden State game and that was actually a decent game for him by his recent standards.
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 939

Post#1114 » by Robot Rock » Mon Jan 1, 2018 2:55 am

We Think He's Better than MCW: The Nic Batum thread
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1115 » by catch20two » Mon Jan 1, 2018 3:01 am

Trop Payé et Surfait!!!
Joest2003
Analyst
And1: 1,234

Post#1116 » by Joest2003 » Tue Jan 2, 2018 4:24 pm

Regarding Batums struggles it pretty much boils down to one thing. Nic is not a number 2 guy. His strength is playmaking and he would thrive being a third option on offense. We're forcing him to be the second option and be aggressive when that's just not his style. It's not working for us and it's certainly not working for him either.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1117 » by catch20two » Tue Jan 2, 2018 4:53 pm

Joest2003 wrote:Regarding Batums struggles it pretty much boils down to one thing. Nic is not a number 2 guy. His strength is playmaking and he would thrive being a third option on offense. We're forcing him to be the second option and be aggressive when that's just not his style. It's not working for us and it's certainly not working for him either.

I think even considering him a 3rd option is being modest. He’s more like a 4th banana. That’s practically what he was in Portland during their best years. I said it the moment we traded for him. I said it before we re-signed him. I’ll say it now. Batum is just not that kind of player. He’s a glue guy/super role player.
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#1118 » by Eoghan » Wed Jan 3, 2018 12:22 am

Batum is like flavor enhancer, like salt. You wouldn't eat just salt. You don't want something heavily salted either. You want just a pinch of Batum, to enhance the flavor of your team from bland but decent to magnifique.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#1119 » by Braggins » Wed Jan 3, 2018 1:39 am

It doesn't help that he is actually PF/combo forward playing SG because our coaching staff is so bad that they rarely even know what positions their own players should play (they honestly don't seem to understand how positions work in the modern NBA).
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#1120 » by HoopsMalone » Wed Jan 3, 2018 5:17 am

Very nice game from him tonight but it was against a bunch of 18 year olds :lol:

Return to Charlotte Hornets