ImageImage

120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, JDR720, fatlever, Diop, BigSlam

User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 15,390
And1: 6,857
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#1181 » by yosemiteben » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:53 am

Think anyone that reads "chronic tendonitis" isn't trading for him already.
User avatar
catch20two
RealGM
Posts: 21,401
And1: 4,647
Joined: Nov 04, 2012
       

Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#1182 » by catch20two » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:38 pm

Lol I just hate the fact that they’re actually reporting it in a manner where they’re leaving the door open for him to return this season. Just the shut the man down and avoid risking it becoming a major injury. This team smh.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
User avatar
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 30,420
And1: 11,592
Joined: Jul 24, 2004
Location: House of Diop
 

Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#1183 » by Diop » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:42 pm

i was hoping this was an injury hes been carrying for a while and its the start of the tank
Image
Vanderbilt_Grad
Analyst
Posts: 3,448
And1: 1,232
Joined: Sep 22, 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#1184 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:44 pm

I'm actually worried that any Nic injury will harm the tank, especially if Lamb plays more.
Hope is free.
User avatar
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
Posts: 51,070
And1: 7,975
Joined: Jun 04, 2001
Location: Terrapin Station
     

Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#1185 » by fatlever » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:23 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:I'm actually worried that any Nic injury will harm the tank, especially if Lamb plays more.


nic has been pretty good the last 20 games... not 20 mil good, but...
HoopsMalone
Veteran
Posts: 2,532
And1: 1,548
Joined: Aug 22, 2017

Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#1186 » by HoopsMalone » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:37 am

fatlever wrote:
Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:I'm actually worried that any Nic injury will harm the tank, especially if Lamb plays more.


nic has been pretty good the last 20 games... not 20 mil good, but...



yeah overall he wasnt that bad if you take out his first ten or so games where he returned too early from injury. He was just average. Which is really bad for 3/$90 remaining on his deal. But hey he's not the one who drew up the paperwork
User avatar
catch20two
RealGM
Posts: 21,401
And1: 4,647
Joined: Nov 04, 2012
       

Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#1187 » by catch20two » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:23 pm

Batum at 7’1” has a longer wingspan than both Cody (6’11”) and Frank (6’11”). I think he should be tried at PF. If Batum was getting drafted in 2018 the scouts would be viewing him as a PF/SF much like guys like Kyle Kuzma, OG Anunoby, and DJ Wilson.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
powerforward
Junior
Posts: 406
And1: 55
Joined: Nov 04, 2006

Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#1188 » by powerforward » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:42 pm

I can't believe we don't use him at the 4 at least occasionally. Portland did from time to time, and it would help spacing. Also don't understand why we didn't play lamb at sg and batum at 3 to start and use mkg/batum at both forward spots occasional.
Braggins
General Manager
Posts: 9,778
And1: 4,058
Joined: Jan 05, 2014

Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#1189 » by Braggins » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:46 pm

powerforward wrote:I can't believe we don't use him at the 4 at least occasionally. Portland did from time to time, and it would help spacing. Also don't understand why we didn't play lamb at sg and batum at 3 to start and use mkg/batum at both forward spots occasional.

Our coach simply doesnt understand how modern NBA positions work.
User avatar
catch20two
RealGM
Posts: 21,401
And1: 4,647
Joined: Nov 04, 2012
       

Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#1190 » by catch20two » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:04 pm

Read on Twitter


Smh. I don’t understand this team.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
Robot Rock
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,286
And1: 490
Joined: Jan 21, 2013
Location: The 704
       

Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#1191 » by Robot Rock » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:32 pm

incoming L
Braggins
General Manager
Posts: 9,778
And1: 4,058
Joined: Jan 05, 2014

Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#1192 » by Braggins » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:19 pm

lol why...

Edit: No, seriously. Why in the hell would they do this?
User avatar
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,549
And1: 1,438
Joined: Jan 19, 2011
Location: Asheville, NC
 

Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#1193 » by Snidely FC » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:53 am

Braggins wrote:lol why...

Edit: No, seriously. Why in the hell would they do this?

to me the only acceptable reason they're doing it is to prove he's not damaged goods so he can be traded
User avatar
mrknowitall215
RealGM
Posts: 11,149
And1: 2,384
Joined: Dec 20, 2009

Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#1194 » by mrknowitall215 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:06 am

Snidely FC wrote:
Braggins wrote:lol why...

Edit: No, seriously. Why in the hell would they do this?

to me the only acceptable reason they're doing it is to prove he's not damaged goods so he can be traded


I'd hope that's not their course of thinking. If so it's backwards because they are risking him possibly suffering a torn achilles tendon. They should've been smart enough not to sign Batum to that type of a contract without expecting to regret it more likely than not, but just because he's not worth his contract that doesn't mean that he can't be a valuable piece in what they're doing moving forward
Image
User avatar
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,549
And1: 1,438
Joined: Jan 19, 2011
Location: Asheville, NC
 

Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#1195 » by Snidely FC » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:19 am

mrknowitall215 wrote:
Snidely FC wrote:
Braggins wrote:lol why...

Edit: No, seriously. Why in the hell would they do this?

to me the only acceptable reason they're doing it is to prove he's not damaged goods so he can be traded


I'd hope that's not their course of thinking. If so it's backwards because they are risking him possibly suffering a torn achilles tendon. They should've been smart enough not to sign Batum to that type of a contract without expecting to regret it more likely than not, but just because he's not worth his contract that doesn't mean that he can't be a valuable piece in what they're doing moving forward

agreed on your first two points but in terms of value I fear his contract will keep the team from affording Kemba while creating the quality depth it otherwise needs to win
User avatar
mrknowitall215
RealGM
Posts: 11,149
And1: 2,384
Joined: Dec 20, 2009

Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#1196 » by mrknowitall215 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:39 am

Snidely FC wrote:
mrknowitall215 wrote:
Snidely FC wrote:to me the only acceptable reason they're doing it is to prove he's not damaged goods so he can be traded


I'd hope that's not their course of thinking. If so it's backwards because they are risking him possibly suffering a torn achilles tendon. They should've been smart enough not to sign Batum to that type of a contract without expecting to regret it more likely than not, but just because he's not worth his contract that doesn't mean that he can't be a valuable piece in what they're doing moving forward

agreed on your first two points but in terms of value I fear his contract will keep the team from affording Kemba while creating the quality depth it otherwise needs to win


They'll be able to afford to keep Kemba one way or another. They're just trying to avoid going into the luxury tax with this cast of mediocrity on payroll. Salary dumping Lamb onto some lucky team that'll happily take him in with open arms on a $7-million annual contract when he's probably worth double that on the open market would be the easiest way to go about that although not in the best interest of the Hornets' in terms of improving next season because they'll be losing out on their second-best scorer. Dwight Howard will be coming off the books by the time they have to re-sign Kemba. Never mind extending Kemba because smart money is that he'll test the free-agency market regardless before accepting a extension under his current deal. All of this argues to your point though

The new GM will have his work cut out for him but it's not impossible. I just wonder what the trade market looks like for Batum, Howard, Williams, Kaminsky, and/or Zeller. I refuse to believe that there's no market for those players. It might not be the ideal exchange, but I'm sure they can be traded for something. I see less valuable players get traded every offseason and deadline for something of value in return
Image
User avatar
catch20two
RealGM
Posts: 21,401
And1: 4,647
Joined: Nov 04, 2012
       

Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#1197 » by catch20two » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:52 am

I wouldn’t mind keeping Batum as a SF/PF (which means firing Clifford) if we can trade Dwight. I wouldn’t be surprised by the new GM asking Dwight to accept a buyout that’ll allow the team to save some money.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
User avatar
_tijo_
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
Posts: 642
And1: 216
Joined: Apr 05, 2007
       

Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#1198 » by _tijo_ » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:41 am

mrknowitall215 wrote:The new GM will have his work cut out for him but it's not impossible. I just wonder what the trade market looks like for Batum, Howard, Williams, Kaminsky, and/or Zeller. I refuse to believe that there's no market for those players. It might not be the ideal exchange, but I'm sure they can be traded for something. I see less valuable players get traded every offseason and deadline for something of value in return


I am of the opinion that Cho got fired not because of his drafting record (I think MJ recognizes that he pushed for these players), but because he wasn't the networker amongst the other GMs to find takers for our players after they didn't pan out well. Cho simply wasn't the gregarious, plugged-in guy to be able to talk others into trading for our mistakes. I think they admitted as much, saying that in their next GM, they appreciated what Cho brought, but was looking for someone who could network with teams. i.e. Kupchak.

This is why it's also my opinion that all of this "GM search" is pretty much a ruse until we hire Kupchak. Prove me wrong Michael.
Who I would have taken:
2019: PJ | 2018: Porter Jr. | 2017: Monk | 2016: Damian Jones | 2015: Winslow | 2014: Vonleh, Napier | 2013: McLemore | 2012: MKG | 2011: Knight, Kawhi
User avatar
mrknowitall215
RealGM
Posts: 11,149
And1: 2,384
Joined: Dec 20, 2009

Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#1199 » by mrknowitall215 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:57 am

_tijo_ wrote:I am of the opinion that Cho got fired not because of his drafting record (I think MJ recognizes that he pushed for these players)


I'm under the belief combined with some evidence that MJ had nothing to do with the selections of Biyombo, MKG, or Zeller, and those are the 3 highest draft pick selections that Charlotte has had during the Cho tenure. It's all conjecture on whether MJ played a part in drafting Vonleh, Kaminsky, or Monk. Probably the only lottery pick that has any footing of being a MJ pick is Kemba

but because he wasn't the networker amongst the other GMs to find takers for our players after they didn't pan out well. Cho simply wasn't the gregarious, plugged-in guy to be able to talk others into trading for our mistakes. I think they admitted as much, saying that in their next GM, they appreciated what Cho brought, but was looking for someone who could network with teams. i.e. Kupchak.

This is why it's also my opinion that all of this "GM search" is pretty much a ruse until we hire Kupchak. Prove me wrong Michael.


I agree with this portion. Having a GM with connections around the league is very helpful when it comes to trades because it gives them an advantage. It might be the reason why we've witnessed teams trade players that we clamored for for less than Charlotte could've offered simply because of that "networking" factor
Image
User avatar
Joest2003
Analyst
Posts: 3,148
And1: 1,125
Joined: Jul 19, 2013
Location: Hartford, CT
     

Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#1200 » by Joest2003 » Tue Apr 3, 2018 4:19 pm

Nic batum just went on twitter and called Brandon Roy the best player he has ever played with.

Return to Charlotte Hornets