120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#1441 » by Diop » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:40 am

The big delay in the Hayward sign and trade literally was kupchek desperately trying to ditch batum. Other teams wanted a draft pick to take him or for Charlotte to take back mass salary.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#1442 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:40 am

Luciano can you 1) Name the team that would take Batum 2) Name the outgoing players to match the 27 million.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#1443 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:42 am

Diop wrote:The big delay in the Hayward sign and trade literally was kupchek desperately trying to ditch batum. Other teams wanted a draft pick to take him or for Charlotte to take back mass salary.

Exactly. Add to that the team has been trying to move Batum since Cho. To assume they've not tried is so far fetched I just have to LMAO
It has been written...
bravor
Starter
And1: 737

Post#1444 » by bravor » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:35 am

Absolutely no one has been arguing about how bad Batum's contract was and how untradable it was, even last year. The argument is about the emergency with which the FO decided to buy out his contract while negotiating with Hayward.
Unless i have missed something, trade deadline is rumored (?) to be around the end of March 2021 and even with Batum in the team (that would have just removed one of the two ways contract..) for couple of months, something better could have been done. Even a better buy out deal with Batum's agent considering with those circumstances - cf hayward's rumor vs Hornets - he had most of the leverage.

I said it plenty of times here, a player who does not play can't play for his NT during the summer. And it is what drives Batum most of the time.

You can put it the way you wish, that looks like a desperate move for me. the truth might be in between like most of the time, but it is certainly not a question of not finding a trade partner (and the counterpart, bad contract or not). It is more not finding a trade partner when the Hornets were in demand of finding one.

Again, i would understand if the guy was totally washed but it is not the case. The people feeling all right with this move ends up hoping Batum will play like trash or more precisely crossing fingers for him not to bounce back in the league. That says it all.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1445 » by Diop » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:11 pm

bravor wrote:Absolutely no one has been arguing about how bad Batum's contract was and how untradable it was, even last year. The argument is about the emergency with which the FO decided to buy out his contract while negotiating with Hayward.
Unless i have missed something, trade deadline is rumored (?) to be around the end of March 2021

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we had to stretch Batum to have the room to complete the sign n trade. We couldn't just hold on to him.

I'm in the minority in that I hold no ill will for Batum and do wish him well. He was just like Diaw, can be a contributing member to a good team, but don't expect him to be a lead player. It just wasn't him.

It wasn't new either, as I remember reading Portland fans wishing Batum would be more alpha when he was with them.
tondi123
Starter
And1: 1,376

Post#1446 » by tondi123 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:18 pm

Big difference between not being a lead player and being a bum, which Batum has been for pretty much his entire contract.
bravor
Starter
And1: 737

Post#1447 » by bravor » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:32 pm

Diop wrote:
bravor wrote:Absolutely no one has been arguing about how bad Batum's contract was and how untradable it was, even last year. The argument is about the emergency with which the FO decided to buy out his contract while negotiating with Hayward.
Unless i have missed something, trade deadline is rumored (?) to be around the end of March 2021

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we had to stretch Batum to have the room to complete the sign n trade. We couldn't just hold on to him.

I'm in the minority in that I hold no ill will for Batum and do wish him well. He was just like Diaw, can be a contributing member to a good team, but don't expect him to be a lead player. It just wasn't him.

It wasn't new either, as I remember reading Portland fans wishing Batum would be more alpha when he was with them.

ok, that is something i am not familiar with in regards to the cba (at worst, hayward's first year could have been lowered ?). No matter what, it looks like when you face Charlotte, any agent or GM consider that they will pay.
And it's really an annoying feeling especially when you hope they can fix their mediocrity
Mistwell
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#1448 » by Mistwell » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:28 pm

Hey guys, Clippers fan here. I know there is justified bad blood between you guys and Batum.

That said, damn he has been good for us so far. Way better than expected. We thought he's be a third stringer. With Morris unexpectedly out, he was thrown into the starting lineup and all our fans thought he would be complete trash. But, he's thrived in that role so far. His passing and court vision is solid. His defense is solid. Even his offense has been decent.

I know that won't last. He will have likely more bad games than good. But so far he fits right in with our guys, and has even had some leadership role. All in all, a really welcome addition to the team.
Keetch
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#1449 » by Keetch » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:33 pm

It’s a contract year so Nick is balling. That’s how he rolls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#1450 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:45 pm

We must have differing definitions of what ballin means. He still sucks.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Keetch
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#1451 » by Keetch » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:08 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:He still sucks.

Oh absolutely.

amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,238

Post#1452 » by amcoolio » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:44 am

Mistwell wrote:Hey guys, Clippers fan here. I know there is justified bad blood between you guys and Batum.

That said, damn he has been good for us so far. Way better than expected. We thought he's be a third stringer. With Morris unexpectedly out, he was thrown into the starting lineup and all our fans thought he would be complete trash. But, he's thrived in that role so far. His passing and court vision is solid. His defense is solid. Even his offense has been decent.

I know that won't last. He will have likely more bad games than good. But so far he fits right in with our guys, and has even had some leadership role. All in all, a really welcome addition to the team.

He's gonna fold the game when there is any tiny bit of adversity, just like today getting whomped by 50 in the first half
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,173

Post#1453 » by Rich4114 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:12 am

Also if he is in the game during crunch time he’s required to make a terrible turnover, especially on in bounds passes and then brick anything he shoots if it’s under 3 mins left. He is know as a pants crapper around these parts. The most expensive pants crapper of all time.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#1454 » by JMAC3 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:18 am

Batum is great on the min contract but so is every other player. Give me Otto Porter, Al Horford, Wiggins or whoever else is “overpaid” at three million and we would all be happy.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
predators
Senior
And1: 319

Post#1455 » by predators » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:06 am

Mistwell wrote:Hey guys, Clippers fan here. I know there is justified bad blood between you guys and Batum.

I figured he’d be a plus role player on a contender especially for whatever peanuts y’all are paying him.

He was just never worth 27 million per year even when he was playing well and especially not when his play went south.
Mistwell
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#1456 » by Mistwell » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:34 pm

Checking back in.

Well, the "Batum is playing well" concept is not a fluke. We're nine games in, and he's had nine good games. He just stole the starting position from Marcus Morris, after Morris returned from injury.

I really think Batum just needed a change of scenery, and some better players around him so he carries less burden. He's playing like a new man out there. I know people think it's just because it's his contract year, and maybe that's the case. After all, Clippers are only paying him the veteran's minimum at $2.5M. But he's holding down his best Player Efficiency Rating since 2011-2012 at a 16.4, after his career worst of 9.2 last year with you guys. His True Shooting Percentage is at 69%, which is his career best by a wide margin (after his career worst of 46% last year). He's getting many open looks because of doubles on Kawhi Leonard and Paul George, and his passing and court vision is really good. And he legitimately looks like he's having fun out there.

His new Clippers fans are being called the Batum Battalion.

I don't know how long this can continue. He's got to come back down to earth at some point. But for a guy signed to the vet min and expected to be a third stringer and a calming veteran presence in the locker room, he's been a serious boon to the Clippers as a starter who has bailed us out from Morris' injury to help the Clippers stay above water to begin the season.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Post#1457 » by Chapelchilla » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:43 pm

The dude has always had talent. That's not the issue. His problem is he only plays hard when he wants another contract. Enjoy the contract year Batum and DONT resign him.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1458 » by BigSlam » Thu Jan 7, 2021 5:58 pm

Mistwell wrote:Checking back in.

Well, the "Batum is playing well" concept is not a fluke. We're nine games in, and he's had nine good games. He just stole the starting position from Marcus Morris, after Morris returned from injury.

I really think Batum just needed a change of scenery, and some better players around him so he carries less burden. He's playing like a new man out there. I know people think it's just because it's his contract year, and maybe that's the case. After all, Clippers are only paying him the veteran's minimum at $2.5M. But he's holding down his best Player Efficiency Rating since 2011-2012 at a 16.4, after his career worst of 9.2 last year with you guys. His True Shooting Percentage is at 69%, which is his career best by a wide margin (after his career worst of 46% last year). He's getting many open looks because of doubles on Kawhi Leonard and Paul George, and his passing and court vision is really good. And he legitimately looks like he's having fun out there.

His new Clippers fans are being called the Batum Battalion.

I don't know how long this can continue. He's got to come back down to earth at some point. But for a guy signed to the vet min and expected to be a third stringer and a calming veteran presence in the locker room, he's been a serious boon to the Clippers as a starter who has bailed us out from Morris' injury to help the Clippers stay above water to begin the season.

Enjoy it while it lasts, because if history tells us anything about Batum it is that it won’t last.

But it sure is wonderful while it does.

Buyer be warned though: He’s fools gold.

B B M F 'ers
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,171

Post#1459 » by SWedd523 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 10:27 pm

I'll respond again, this thread does not need to remain open and active. Lock this **** and move on
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1460 » by Diop » Thu Jan 7, 2021 11:32 pm

Someone has ptsd

Return to Charlotte Hornets