ImageImage

120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#961 » by 316Hornets » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:49 pm

Here is the clip of Batum passing up the wide open 3.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18997079

Pivotal point in the game and he passes up a shot like that? What are we paying him for exactly?

That pass is like the equivalent of a QB seeing a streaking wr running down the side line wide open, but instead opts to throw it over the middle where your other wr is going to get destroyed by the mlb.

The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,633

Post#962 » by yosemiteben » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:32 am

I didn't mind the pass, Marv was wide open under the basket. He should have used the rim to protect the ball.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#963 » by 316Hornets » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:36 am

yosemiteben wrote:I didn't mind the pass, Marv was wide open under the basket. He should have used the rim to protect the ball.

Marv wasn't wide open. Once he caught the pass, Lebron was already right on his back. If he tried to put it in on the other side of the rim, Love could have blocked it. While if Batum took the shot, which should be a high % shot you'd think, Marv would have a shot at a putback from his position.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Re: RE: Re: 120 Guarantees: the Nic Batum thread 

Post#964 » by yosemiteben » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:45 am

316Hornets wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:I didn't mind the pass, Marv was wide open under the basket. He should have used the rim to protect the ball.

Marv wasn't wide open. Once he caught the pass, Lebron was already right on his back. If he tried to put it in on the other side of the rim, Love could have blocked it. While if Batum took the shot, which should be a high % shot you'd think, Marv would have a shot at a putback from his position.

Nah, I disagree. Look at that video, he was standing unguarded under the rim. That should be a very high % shot. He has to finish strong. Dunk it. He went up soft and got blind sided by LeBron. Love was not in a position to contest it.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,163

Post#965 » by SWedd523 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:56 am

yosemiteben wrote:
316Hornets wrote:

Nah, I disagree. Look at that video, he was standing unguarded under the rim. That should be a very high % shot. He has to finish strong. Dunk it. He went up soft and got blind sided by LeBron. Love was not in a position to contest it.

:lol: dude you kill me every time with the devil's advocate contrarian in teal shades act.

Down 6
3 minutes left
a wide open, in rhythm shoot he stepped into
And he passes it to a guy who has his back to the rim and two dudes within arms reach of him

You can not defend that play at all.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#966 » by 316Hornets » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:58 am

yosemiteben wrote:
316Hornets wrote:

Looking at this picture, Marvin couldn't have gone up on the left side without taking another step. Love already had a foot in the restricted area and James had his foot in the area as well. I don't see how that is a higher % shot than Batum taking a wide open 3.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,608

Post#967 » by fatlever » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:07 am

Batum has to take that shot.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#968 » by yosemiteben » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:16 am

In both pictures I see Marvin standing wide open, unguarded under the rim. I would have liked the shot, but I was perfectly fine with the pass. When you are standing next to the rim with no one within four or five feet of you, reasonable to think that will result in an extremely high % shot. If Marv goes up strong, that's a dunk and-1.

Not being contrarian, but that is literally about the highest % shot you can hope for. Dunk the damn ball.
BatumtheGlue
Starter
And1: 441

Post#969 » by BatumtheGlue » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:21 am

He should take that shot, that was a bad decision making by him. Nic just doesn't have that killer instinct and the clutch gene, he is your 3rd best player in a contending team at best.
Mamut menteng ureh utusku, isen mulang jite penyangku.
Credit to amcoolio for the signature .gif.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,163

Post#970 » by SWedd523 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:25 am

I think it's safe to say we have varying definitions of 4 or 5 feet
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#971 » by yosemiteben » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:33 am

SWedd523 wrote:I think it's safe to say we have varying definitions of 4 or 5 feet

I mean Marv is pretty much under the rim and LeBron is easily a foot outside the lane guarding Cody

Would have preferred the shot, but not mad at the pass.
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#972 » by LamarMatic7 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:11 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
316Hornets wrote:

Then again it's Marvin we're talking about here. He's looked athletic ever since going on that new fitness regiment before his contract year (anyone remember how he couldn't dunk the first year here? video at the end of the post), but that's still a very kind way of looking at it since he's one of the least athletic 6-8 guys in the league. I don't think he's had a dunk off two feet from underneath the basket during his whole time with the Hornets. Are you really talking about him when saying that "he has to finish strong. Dunk it."? I agree with the general idea, but this is not some young power forward stud.

The second Batum made that pass I was ready to cringe because I knew that it could end ugly. No surprise that it did. LeBron was right behind him.

Someone as smart as Batum should have known that. I guess the extra pass gene played its part before Batum, the savvy basketball player could have acknowledged that Marvin could get stuffed.

LamarMatic7

Post#973 » by LamarMatic7 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:17 pm

Obviously, he could/should have used the rim as protection to finish on the other end but that's the downside of taking the change Batum did. He couldn't have known whether Marvin knew where LeBron is at. Evidently, he didn't.
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#974 » by Eoghan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:49 pm

You're all wrong. Batum should have fake shot it and lobbed it instead to Marv at the rim for a soft alley oop lay in.

Or just shot the wide open, in rhythm three, yeah, I would've been fine with that.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#975 » by yosemiteben » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:08 pm

That's a fair point that it was Marv and not Cody, but we've seen Marv throw down dunks in big moments. Perhaps not from a standstill on two feet though.
bravor
Starter
And1: 733

Post#976 » by bravor » Tue Apr 4, 2017 12:17 pm

Batum will probably confirm that he will rest during this offseason and work on his game once the season is over. He said in an interview (Bein sport) that he could not say it right now, but it is obvious that he won't play for French team during this summer.

Hopefully it will help him recover his defense and shooting percentages for next season.
LamarMatic7

Post#977 » by LamarMatic7 » Tue Apr 4, 2017 12:50 pm

bravor wrote:Batum will probably confirm that he will rest during this offseason and work on his game once the season is over. He said in an interview (Bein sport) that he could not say it right now, but it is obvious that he won't play for French team during this summer.

Hopefully it will help him recover his defense and shooting percentages for next season.

Read on Twitter
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,733

Post#978 » by Diop » Tue Apr 4, 2017 2:48 pm

Hornets Forum High-End Journalist wrote:
bravor wrote:Batum will probably confirm that he will rest during this offseason and work on his game once the season is over. He said in an interview (Bein sport) that he could not say it right now, but it is obvious that he won't play for French team during this summer.

Read on Twitter

that's high end journalism right there
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#979 » by 316Hornets » Tue Apr 4, 2017 10:22 pm

Have to give Batum respect for doing what he believes is best for himself going forward. He has done a lot for French basketball and I'm sure he'll be back at it at some point in the future.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,608

Post#980 » by fatlever » Thu Apr 6, 2017 8:59 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Charlotte Hornets