Page 1 of 1

Ainge offered 6 draft picks to get to 9th

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:59 pm
by No-Man
According to sources, the Celtics' final offer to the Hornets was a package that could have featured as many as six draft picks, including four potential first-round selections (a combination of picks from this draft and in the future). But the Hornets could not be swayed and turned down multiple offers to select Wisconsin center Frank Kaminsky.


WOW :o

Re: Ainge offered 6 1st rounders to get to 9th

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:00 pm
by Laimbeer
The report wasn't 6 1st round picks, you might want to edit.

If true I'd love to know which six picks, if the Pistons got the same offer and turned it down, and who to strangle.

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:11 pm
by BlackOutBuzz
I mean, it wasn't like this wasn't being discussed in a few threads already, but "could have featured" is pretty ambiguous and reeks of PR.

Re: Ainge offered 6 1st rounders to get to 9th

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:12 pm
by fatlever
Already being discussed in the Frank thread.

Re: Ainge offered 6 1st rounders to get to 9th

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:13 pm
by fatlever
"Could have been as many as 6". lets see a listing of the actual 6 picks he offered. Until then, not buying it. 16/28 and a 2018 1st + some random 2nds, doesn't move the needle as much as you might think, for a team that is trying to win now. I would have taken Winslow and told Boston to shove off, which is exactly what all the other teams from 4-10 did as well.

And imagine how Rozier feels today hearing about how they tried to give up the farm to get someone else. Ainge is a nob.

Re: Ainge offered 6 1st rounders to get to 9th

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:14 pm
by driveandkick
I'll take Kaminsky any day over Rozier and Hunter. Who knows if this is legit. Ainge could just be saying this because the Celtics had a terrible draft and he's wanting to let fans know he tried to move up. People are way overreacting to this. Also, seems like about 5 other teams passed up on his deal too.

Re: Ainge offered 6 1st rounders to get to 9th

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:14 pm
by fatlever
Maybe change that title, which is misleading at best. It definitely wasn't 6 first round picks. Article says "as many as 6 picks" doesn't specify how many were 1st round picks.

Re: Ainge offered 6 1st rounders to get to 9th

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:16 pm
by countryboi
This sounds like a guy trying to save face.

Re: Ainge offered 6 1st rounders to get to 9th

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:16 pm
by EwingSweatsALot
Multiple people have reported that they believe one of the 1sts was one of the Nets unprotected picks.

If that is one of the firsts that's really intriguing.

I will say though that I would prefer Winslow, then the deal, then Kaminsky.

Re: Ainge offered 6 1st rounders to get to 9th

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:17 pm
by fatlever
"and potential 1st round picks" just reeks of picks that have protection and could be a 1st but will most likely end up as a 2nd.

Ainge should have known Charlotte was in win-now mode and made offers of players that can help now rather than ambiguous picks in the distant future.

Re: Ainge offered 6 1st rounders to get to 9th

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:20 pm
by fatlever
EwingSweatsALot wrote:Multiple people have reported that they believe one of the 1sts was one of the Nets unprotected picks.


2018

Do any of you think that we would have been tempted by a pick 3 years from now for a team that is trying to win now leading up to the 2017 All-star game.

I said this last week, but the price for getting the All-star game is Charlotte in 2017 is that the front-office was no longer willing to rebuild during the next 2 years. I would gladly take the All-star game and all the benefits it will bring to our brand over the chance that we hit on some late 1sts and a potential 2018 unprotected pick.

Re: Ainge offered 6 1st rounders to get to 9th

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:21 pm
by fatlever
Ainge should have offered Smart and 16 if he really wanted to move up. Or Olynyk + 16 + Nets 2016 pick. Don't call it a Godfather offer, when it wasnt anything close to such.

Re: Ainge offered 6 1st rounders to get to 9th

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:23 pm
by fatlever
And now many of you that are pissed about the Frank over Winslow pick would have lost your damn minds last night if we selected Winslow last night at 9 only to find out later we traded him to the Celtics for 16 and a bunch of unknown picks. Obviously the fact that RJ Hunter was still around at 28 would have helped, but my guess is everyone would be equally pissed.

Re: Ainge offered 6 1st rounders to get to 9th

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:23 pm
by Liver_Pooty
I'm sure we weren't the only team that rejected him. Those types of first round picks have horrible value. Quality, over quantity.

Re: Ainge offered 6 1st rounders to get to 9th

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:24 pm
by yosemiteben
fatlever wrote:Already being discussed in the Frank thread.

Can you just delete this thread or merge it?

Re: Ainge offered 6 1st rounders to get to 9th

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:27 pm
by fatlever
Lets keep the Ainge talk here.

Re: Ainge offered 6 1st rounders to get to 9th

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:28 pm
by EwingSweatsALot
fatlever wrote:
EwingSweatsALot wrote:Multiple people have reported that they believe one of the 1sts was one of the Nets unprotected picks.


2018

Do any of you think that we would have been tempted by a pick 3 years from now for a team that is trying to win now leading up to the 2017 All-star game.

I said this last week, but the price for getting the All-star game is Charlotte in 2017 is that the front-office was no longer willing to rebuild during the next 2 years. I would gladly take the All-star game and all the benefits it will bring to our brand over the chance that we hit on some late 1sts and a potential 2018 unprotected pick.


It was 2018? I didn't see that.

Would you take the All Star Game, make the playoffs again, lose in the first round, and then have to rebuild again?

I'm not saying this will happen. I'm not predicting anything. But we already ended the rebuild. It ended the day we signed Al. We had money last off season and it failed. We don't have the track record of making smart decisions. We are now forcing the initiative in a desperation attempt, whether moves are good or bad, that rarely plays out well in the end.

So with those incoherent ramblings, what I'm saying is the All Star Game is wonderful. But the excessive pressure to be good then could really harm us in the future if we don't handle it correctly. It could go bad as soon as next summer. And then we aren't good for the future or the year of the All Star game.

Re: Ainge offered 6 1st rounders to get to 9th

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:30 pm
by stinger14
Just because the Celtics picked Rozier and Hunter doesn't mean anything here. Take Rozier out and insert Grant who was still available at 16

Grant and Hunter > Kaminsky

In fact I think Grant himself will be better

Re: Ainge offered 6 1st rounders to get to 9th

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:31 pm
by EwingSweatsALot
Liver_Pooty wrote:I'm sure we weren't the only team that rejected him. Those types of first round picks have horrible value. Quality, over quantity.


The Heat rejected him. And apparently tried to go as high as 4 for Winslow.

Re: Ainge offered 6 1st rounders to get to 9th

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:52 pm
by LofJ
The only guy we could lose in free agency that would hurt us is Batum. Al, Roberts, and Marvin leaving won't set us back much. MKG, Lamb, and Biz are restricted free agents - so if we want them they'll remain as Hornets. The same with Zeller when he's a free agent the summer of 2017. And PJ the summer of 2018. All of these guys will be under contract through 2018 if we want them.

Kemba
Lamb/Hairston
MKG
Zeller/Kaminsky
Biyombo/Hawes

We aren't in danger of being completely awful in 2017. We have the ability pay Batum more than anyone else as well, so that much at least is in our favor.