ImageImage

Signed With Portland: The Cody Zeller Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Re: The Cody Zeller Thread - 3 

Post#181 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:20 pm

BlackOutBuzz wrote:Of the big contracts, Cody is the one I'd be most interested in keeping. Still only 26, has actually been a real difference maker *when healthy (is he our best draft pick still on the roster?).

More importantly, his contract expires when there are actual quality free agents on the market, not like this upcoming summer when we have $45M coming off the books with terrible options to spend it on.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Might be easiest to move. I would try for Adams and Drummond. I would love an upgrade. Cody is a weak rebounder and we lose something in that department when he's out there.
It has been written...
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,147

Post#182 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:11 pm

Zeller could be a great trade chip at the deadline especially if a few centers go down with injuries.

He will be a guy who plays hard no matter how many games we are winning and that is valuable on a team who will need to build a good culture during this rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,137

Post#183 » by Snidely FC » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:34 pm

ESPN classify Cody Zeller as a Small Forward lol
https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2579258/cody-zeller
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,147

Post#184 » by JMAC3 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:07 pm

Has there really not been a post in this thread since October 2019??? This guys is our starting center guys show him some love haha.

I know we hate on him for being a pretty bad 4th overall pick, but he still ranks 8th in his draft class for career win shares so far.

He is coming off a career year last year in both pure ppg and rpg (11/7) and per 36 numbers (17 and 11).

In terms of gameplay I think he will fit what we want to do, pushing the pace and heavy pick and roll and screening. He still is one fastest end to end centers in the league which should make him a frequent target for LaMelo full court look aheads. Also, he is really quick in half court getting in and out screens and I look for us to be a team that tries to attack defenses with multiple pick and roll ball handlers on the floor at all times.

If he plays well depending on what we do in FA next offseason he might be a guy to target with MLE money (9 million per) which is on par with guys like Favors, Thompson, Poetl, Baynes, Plumlee, Meyers Leonard. Long way away and again it will matter on how our young guys develop and what options we have in FA, but I think he is on par with these guys who got MLE this summer.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,045

Post#185 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:12 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Has there really not been a post in this thread since October 2019??? This guys is our starting center guys show him some love haha.

I know we hate on him for being a pretty bad 4th overall pick, but he still ranks 8th in his draft class for career win shares so far.

He is coming off a career year last year in both pure ppg and rpg (11/7) and per 36 numbers (17 and 11).

In terms of gameplay I think he will fit what we want to do, pushing the pace and heavy pick and roll and screening. He still is one fastest end to end centers in the league which should make him a frequent target for LaMelo full court look aheads. Also, he is really quick in half court getting in and out screens and I look for us to be a team that tries to attack defenses with multiple pick and roll ball handlers on the floor at all times.

If he plays well depending on what we do in FA next offseason he might be a guy to target with MLE money (9 million per) which is on par with guys like Favors, Thompson, Poetl, Baynes, Plumlee, Meyers Leonard. Long way away and again it will matter on how our young guys develop and what options we have in FA, but I think he is on par with these guys who got MLE this summer.

I know a lot on here dont really like him that much, but hes criminally underrated. Especially from an analytical standpoint
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,491

Post#186 » by GoBobs » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:31 pm

I hope we can sign him for a little less and keep him around after he expires. He seems to be a good mentor for younger guys and can be part of center by committee. Hopefully he will be a good fit with ball who likes to push the pace.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#187 » by fatlever » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:53 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:I know a lot on here dont really like him that much, but hes criminally underrated. Especially from an analytical standpoint

100% agree. He's not a rim protecting, floor spacing unicorn, but solid at most all other aspects and elite at screen assists.
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#188 » by James Gatz » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:03 pm

fatlever wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:I know a lot on here dont really like him that much, but hes criminally underrated. Especially from an analytical standpoint

100% agree. He's not a rim protecting, floor spacing unicorn, but solid at most all other aspects and elite at screen assists.

His screening game is so excellent and something other teams fans wouldn't really notice if you only watch 1-2 hornets games a year. I really love Cody. He knows his limitations and plays hard. He's not big/strong enough against the Embiid's of the world and he's had issues with injuries. Neither of those are really his fault.

I believe he's our longest tenured player at this point.
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#189 » by BlackOutBuzz » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:32 pm

James Gatz wrote:I believe he's our longest tenured player at this point.

Depends on how you quantify Biz.

Cody gets a bad rep as an underwhelming top 5 pick but - looking back - his re-draft floor is like 6.

Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,532

Post#190 » by HornetJail » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:54 pm

BlackOutBuzz wrote:

Cody gets a bad rep as an underwhelming top 5 pick but - looking back - his re-draft floor is like 6.

he's had the best career out of players drafted 4-9 in that draft. We made the right decision with that pick, it was just a really bad draft
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,165

Post#191 » by SWedd523 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:00 pm

I don't think anybody hates Zeller

He just is what he is. A relatively mediocre, ho hum player. He's good at some stuff, not good at others. Generally a replacement level player more or less.

Not gonna help us win many games, not really gonna cost many games.

He's a great dude and seems chill enough. Would like to see him hang around on a fair contract, but don't want to see him being a starter long term
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

The Cody Zeller Thread - 3 

Post#192 » by BigSlam » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:19 pm

Officially out 4-6 weeks with that broken hand.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,045

Post#193 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:30 pm

To be fair he could score just as much as Lamelo with a broken hand.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,391

Post#194 » by Hornet Mania » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:23 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:To be fair he could score just as much as Lamelo with a broken hand.

And rebound as much as PJ. A twofer!
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#195 » by MasterIchiro » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:20 am

Hornet Mania wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:To be fair he could score just as much as Lamelo with a broken hand.

And rebound as much as PJ. A twofer!

And play as many minutes as Monk!
It has been written...
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,246

Post#196 » by luciano-davidwesley » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:59 am

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
BlackOutBuzz wrote:

he's had the best career out of players drafted 4-9 in that draft. We made the right decision with that pick, it was just a really bad draft

Let's just pretend Giannis doesn't exist right?
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,156

Post#197 » by Rich4114 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:53 pm

Cody is a great dude, seems like a great teammate, is tough and elite at screen setting. He’s also good at on the ball in the paint defense. But he’s awful at rebounding for his size and equally as bad at blocking shots. Also offers nothing offensively and he’s expensive. We’ve played with him in the same role for 8 years and the production has been exactly the same with a ton of time missed to injury. It’s time to move on and has been for a while. I suspect they wanted to but because of everything I just mentioned, can’t find anyone who wants to pay that for a backup big.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#198 » by MasterIchiro » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:45 pm

Exactly. Zeller is just one more contract that's too expensive to move so Kupchak has rode out the deal rather than attaching picks to move it.
It has been written...
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#199 » by DY_nasty » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:33 pm

you beat that horse bro

never quit
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,738

Post#200 » by Diop » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:01 am

Was interesting hearing how he used to lead the league in screen assists. Was good to hear that his screen work was quantifiable and showed how much work he does

Return to Charlotte Hornets